GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Google Chrome #965848
07/02/14 02:25 PM
07/02/14 02:25 PM
Texas
T
Terri824 Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Terri824  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Texas
Hi Could someone please tell me why when I click on my Google Chrome icon on my desktop I get a little window that says "This webpage is not found"? Also on the tab it has chrome-extension:/bal, can't see the rest.

Disregard. I disabled the extension "speedial", have no idea what that is but anyway by so doing, Google Chrome opens perfectly! wave

Last edited by Terri824; 07/02/14 02:37 PM.

When you live in the past, it costs you the present.
Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #965874
07/02/14 06:35 PM
07/02/14 06:35 PM
Texas
T
Terri824 Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Terri824  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Texas
Disregard my disregard..........That was a short fix. Now when I click on the icon I get a gray screen with Google chrome at the top and no search window. This is not my first time having problems with Chrome. I'm using Win 81.

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #965878
07/02/14 06:43 PM
07/02/14 06:43 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I had to finally give up on Chrome on a computer I was working on a couple of months ago. I hate to admit defeat, but I didn't feel so bad when I found out their son-in-law who did computer security and IT for the Army National Guard also gave up on Chrome on that computer!

I uninstalled, cleaned and reinstalled so many time I lost count. Finally had to cry "uncle." You might try disabling all your add-ons and see if that helps before you give up. Try the Chrome help forums too - maybe someone there has an idea.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #965890
07/02/14 08:08 PM
07/02/14 08:08 PM
Texas
T
Terri824 Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Terri824  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Texas
Best I recall there was nothing else in there, but I'll have to recheck. That's the only thing that's in extensions. I noticed at the bottom left corner an icon and if I right click it's got 4 selections and new window will open up the search. What a mess.

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #965962
07/03/14 08:55 AM
07/03/14 08:55 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
grc.com put up a test webpage that allows you to check whether or not your web browser is checking for revoked certificates for secure (https) websites.

The testing page is at https://revoked.grc.com/

If your web browser is properly checking secure webpages for a revoked certificate, it should put up a message saying something like
Quote:
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to revoked.grc.com.
Peer's Certificate has been revoked.
(Error code: sec_error_revoked_certificate)

If the https://revoked.grc.com/ website comes up without the error, that means your browser did not check for a revoked certificate and failed the test. The webpage that comes up will explain the problem with allowing revoked certificates.

However instead of allowing people to see that Chrome was failing the revocation test, Chrome manually blocked the testing website. You can read a detailed discussion here
https://www.grc.com/revocation/crlsets.htm

In my opinion that was dishonest. Instead of fixing the problem, Chrome blocked your ability to test for it -- and since the testing webpage didn't appear, it led people to think the problem had been fixed. That is like lying.

I always hated the interface on Chrome, and now I have another reason not to use it -- especially with anything that requires security (like buying stuff online).

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #965969
07/03/14 09:29 AM
07/03/14 09:29 AM
Texas
T
Terri824 Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Terri824  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Texas
Thanks Jenny. Not sure I understand all of this but when I tried this I got "Cannot connect to the real reovoked.grc.com". (Something is currently interfering with your secure connection to revoked.grc.com)

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #965980
07/03/14 10:11 AM
07/03/14 10:11 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
If you used Firefox, your browser legitimately passed the test.
If you used Chrome, the makers of Chrome artificially blocked the test website to try to fool you into thinking that Chrome implements checking for revoked certificates.

That's the problem with Chrome -- instead of fixing the problem or at least allowing you to see that there is a problem, they blocked the test website. Chrome behavior is misleading and dishonest.

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #965983
07/03/14 10:23 AM
07/03/14 10:23 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
And this just reinforces my usage of Firefox. To be honest, if I took the time to get used to it, I even like IE11 much better than Chrome. It's kind of Chromish in looks, but actually works.

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966003
07/03/14 12:31 PM
07/03/14 12:31 PM
Texas
T
Terri824 Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Terri824  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Texas
Ok, I'm a bit confused............I've typed the test page into chrome, IE, Firefox and Opera and the only one that does not show the problem is IE, (Bing)
Now, if I uninstall Google Chrome that will mean that I lose all my favorites, correct?

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966014
07/03/14 01:23 PM
07/03/14 01:23 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Why don't you import your favorites into another browser? Here are the directions for importing into Firefox. I didn't look up how to import into IE 11.

Firefox Import Bookmarks/Favorites

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966017
07/03/14 01:43 PM
07/03/14 01:43 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Terri824
Ok, I'm a bit confused............I've typed the test page into chrome, IE, Firefox and Opera and the only one that does not show the problem is IE, (Bing)

What are you considering as "the problem?"
If a browser checks for revoked certificates, you will be blocked from accessing the website, not that you get through -- except for Chrome, which deliberately blocked the website instead of allowing users to see that it doesn't check for revoked certificates.

You should NOT be able to access the test site at https://revoked.grc.com/ because it's using a revoked certificate. If your browser is behaving properly and blocking https sites with revoked certificates, you will get a message about a certificate error. On Firefox it says "Secure Connection Failed..." That is what you want.

If you are able to access the website and see something that says
"Security Certificate Revocation Awareness Test
If you can see this (and apparently you can), you
are using a revocation UNaware web browser!"

However the test site does not work with Chrome because Chrome blocked it artificially.

Certificates are revoked if someone steals them. It's possible some certificates were stolen with the "Heartbleed" attack.

Chrome DOES NOT check for revoked certificates when accessing https websites, which means it is a security risk for financial transactions. Instead Chrome tried to cover up the problem by blocking the test site.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Imagine 3 students in school taking an exam.

Student #1 gets an A.
Student #2 gets an F.
Student #3 gets an F.

Then Student #3 hires someone to get into his teacher's files and change his grade from an F to an A. Changing the grade does not make Student #3 smarter and does not mean he knows the material. However he's managed to cover up his failure.

Student #1, with the legitimate A, is like Firefox.

Student #2, who got an F and lets everyone see it, is like Safari (on my computer, Safari displays the "Security Certificate Revocation Awareness Test" message that indicates failure)

Student #3, who actually got an F (but cheated so now it looks like an A) is like Chrome.

Chrome is the cheater, which is worse than simply failing.

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966052
07/03/14 04:45 PM
07/03/14 04:45 PM
Texas
T
Terri824 Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Terri824  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Texas
Thanks for the link Drac!

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966064
07/03/14 05:53 PM
07/03/14 05:53 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Love that analogy, Jenny... I never knew Chrome was doing this - good to know.

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966075
07/03/14 06:59 PM
07/03/14 06:59 PM
Texas
T
Terri824 Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Terri824  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Texas
Ok Jenny. I think I've got it. All browsers blocked the test with the message I posted previously except for IE. It actually gave me 39,500 results. I didn't see you post until now, sorry I missed it.
I find that the more problems that pop up the more I realize I have no business with a computer.
Thank you,
Terri

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966081
07/03/14 07:48 PM
07/03/14 07:48 PM
Texas
T
Terri824 Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Terri824  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Texas
Sorry to stack this but I don't know if this is relevant to the test page and google but I can no longer use my Bing desktop search, I get this message: Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.bing.com
Try reloading the page............I don't know what is going on but I'm getting hyped with all my errors. Any ideas?

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966082
07/03/14 08:04 PM
07/03/14 08:04 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Ok Jenny. I think I've got it. All browsers blocked the test with the message I posted previously except for IE. It actually gave me 39,500 results.

Your IE must have done a search instead of Entering the URL.
Apparently this is a "feature" you can disable if you want.
***IE 11 - How to disable search from address bar***

When I use IE 11 and go to https://revoked.grc.com/ it brings up a message about a revoked certificate similar to the message I get with Firefox.

Sorry to stack this but I don't know if this is relevant to the test page and google but I can no longer use my Bing desktop search, I get this message: Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.bing.com
Try reloading the page............I don't know what is going on but I'm getting hyped with all my errors. Any ideas?

It wouldn't be anything to do with the test webpage.
Did you try deleting Chrome's web cache?
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95582?hl=en

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966087
07/03/14 09:49 PM
07/03/14 09:49 PM
Texas
T
Terri824 Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Terri824  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Texas
Too funny. I usually just go with the flow until I bump into a problem. I will check out disabling the IE search from address bar. Yes, Just cleaned out the Google Chrome cache.
After I posted earlier I stayed off the computer for about an hour and a half and when I came back I used my Bing desktop search and no problem getting into Gameboomers. If I drank I could blame some of this on that but I don't drink so it's gotta be the computer, right? lol
Seriously I have no idea what is going on but I do know on this PC (Win vista) more is going on then the Google issue because the computer is unbelievably slow! It takes forever to load anything.

Now, I need to remove Google off my Win8.1 because it's where the original problem was. I hope I'm not confusing you. I had run the test on my HP win Vista and Cyberpower win 8.1.
Jenny thanks ever so much for all of your help.

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966090
07/03/14 11:29 PM
07/03/14 11:29 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Jenny, as I understand your message if I get this response then my browser is behaving.

I get this message on Firefox when clicking on your link. https://revoked.grc.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to revoked.grc.com. Peer's Certificate has been revoked. (Error code: sec_error_revoked_certificate)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get this message on Comodo Dragon ----Chrome based browser---- Comodo is a firewall and security site the browser is a free download at Comodo Dragon

"Cannot connect to the real revoked.grc.com

Something is currently interfering with your secure connection to revoked.grc.com.

Try to reload this page in a few minutes or after switching to a new network. If you have recently connected to a new Wi-Fi network, finish logging in before reloading.

If you were to visit revoked.grc.com right now, you might share private information with an attacker. To protect your privacy, Dragon will not load the page until it can establish a secure connection to the real revoked.grc.com.

"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And with Comodo Ice Dragon Firefox based I get the same message as received on Firefox.

Am I to assume then if one wishes to use Chrome browser, the Comodo Dragon with added security features is not lying to users?

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966134
07/04/14 08:47 AM
07/04/14 08:47 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: oldmariner
Am I to assume then if one wishes to use Chrome browser, the Comodo Dragon with added security features is not lying to users?

According to this link, Comodo Dragon Browser includes "Certsentry" which checks for revoked certificates.
http://forums.comodo.com/news-announceme...l-t89941.0.html

You can read more about Certsentry here
http://help.comodo.com/topic-120-1-279-4652-.html

Since Comodo Dragon Browser is Chrome-based, you may not be able to test it using the https://revoked.grc.com webpage. You'd have to check the result you get with the normal Chrome and compare it to what you get with Comodo Dragon Browser. If you get a different message, the page is working to test Comodo Dragon Browser. If you get the same message with both Chrome and Comodo Dragon Browser, you know you're getting the message because Chrome blocked the site and not because you're actually testing for revoked certificates (which doesn't mean that Comodo Dragon Browser doesn't check for revoked certificates -- only that you can't use the test page to check).

grc.com has more information on the problem with revoked certificates here
https://www.grc.com/revocation.htm

And specific to Chrome here

After I posted earlier I stayed off the computer for about an hour and a half and when I came back I used my Bing desktop search and no problem getting into Gameboomers.

The problem may be with your modem retraining -- renegotiating your Internet connection. It causes temporary loss of Internet and it takes a few seconds to a minute before you can reach the Internet again. You can also temporarily lose Internet connectivity if your ISP decides to update your modem software and forces it to reboot.

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966254
07/04/14 06:41 PM
07/04/14 06:41 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

"Since Comodo Dragon Browser is Chrome-based, you may not be able to test it using the https://revoked.grc.com "

The GRC test works with Comodo Dragon

Re: Google Chrome [Re: oldmariner] #966258
07/04/14 07:27 PM
07/04/14 07:27 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: oldmariner
"Since Comodo Dragon Browser is Chrome-based, you may not be able to test it using the https://revoked.grc.com "

The GRC test works with Comodo Dragon

Not if it uses Chrome's CRLSet.

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966277
07/04/14 09:43 PM
07/04/14 09:43 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Jenny

What you are saying is this message is a phony

"Cannot connect to the real revoked.grc.com

Something is currently interfering with your secure connection to revoked.grc.com.

Try to reload this page in a few minutes or after switching to a new network. If you have recently connected to a new Wi-Fi network, finish logging in before reloading.

If you were to visit revoked.grc.com right now, you might share private information with an attacker. To protect your privacy, Dragon will not load the page until it can establish a secure connection to the real revoked.grc.com."

That is what I get with Comodo Dragon

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966280
07/04/14 10:17 PM
07/04/14 10:17 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
**sigh**
What I'm saying is the message MAY be "phony" because you said yourself that Comodo Dragon Browser is based on Chrome. It MAY be blocking the test site for the same artificial reason that Chrome is.

If you go to that test site using Chrome, you will certainly get a "phony" result.

Chrome also blocked another test site, which is here
https://www.cloudflarechallenge.com/

Maybe someone with Chrome can go to the test site and see what sort of message they get.
But I don't want Chrome on my computer after they cheated on the revocation test like this.

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966291
07/04/14 11:24 PM
07/04/14 11:24 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thank you, Jenny.

I went to Gibson's site and read his description of this issue. Clearly the message given by Comodo Dragon is Google's anti security dodge. As a public service I sent a message To Comodo. It began like this, "You call yourself a security company, then this should interest you," and sent a link to GRC where they can read Google's denial of the problem and the security hole Comodo's browser presents. So the only Google based app ever to reside on my pc is history.

I ended with, "What you do about it is not my concern as this is the last action taken with your browser. Doing nothing is not in the best interest of someone who calls themselves a security company."

On the other hand Comodo other free browser, Ice Dragon is Firefox based and passed the GRC test with flying colors.

It is troubling that a security company fails to check security issues created by an outside entity and simply puts their name on a product. It's possible Comodo is aware of this issue choosing to ignore it, but they could never admit it. That is not something an internet security company could say. It makes you question how secure their "security" programs are. Of course they do not have to reply, it will surprise me if they do. It's what action they take that matters. We are not likely to use their firewall of buy any of their products at this point. Unless they take action to address this issue.

Last edited by oldmariner; 07/04/14 11:26 PM.
Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966292
07/04/14 11:50 PM
07/04/14 11:50 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I'm glad Steve Gibson was able to better explain the problem for you.
It wouldn't be the first time Comodo made an error.
Among other things, Comodo is a certificate authority.
Back in 2011 Comodo issued certificates to an Iranian hacker.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/03/iranian-hackers-obtain-fraudulent-https

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966344
07/05/14 10:22 AM
07/05/14 10:22 AM
Sunny Devon, United Kingdom
Upsydaisy Offline
Addicted Boomer
Upsydaisy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

I had a look at Firefox and a huge amount of bloatware appears with it, World of Tanks, Rocket, Driver support, Norton, System support the list goes on. Some of them were blocked by Malwarebytes thankfully. Is there a version without all this rubbish please.

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Upsydaisy] #966350
07/05/14 10:54 AM
07/05/14 10:54 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Upsydaisy
I had a look at Firefox and a huge amount of bloatware appears with it, World of Tanks, Rocket, Driver support, Norton, System support the list goes on. Some of them were blocked by Malwarebytes thankfully. Is there a version without all this rubbish please.

Get it from mozilla.org
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

Choose the version for your language and operating system.
I assume you'd want English (British)
and not English (US)

Or you can get the extended release version here
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

During install, keep an eye out and uncheck any boxes for "extras" that it offers you.

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Upsydaisy] #966351
07/05/14 10:55 AM
07/05/14 10:55 AM
Arizona
InlandAZ Offline
BAAG Specialist
InlandAZ  Offline
BAAG Specialist

Arizona
Originally Posted By: Upsydaisy

It sounds like you may have downloaded it from a site other than Mozilla - so far as I'm aware, there should be no additional software included.

Try this site: Mozilla Firefox

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966353
07/05/14 10:56 AM
07/05/14 10:56 AM
Upsydaisy Offline
Addicted Boomer
Upsydaisy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thank you Inland AZ, will try again.

Re: Google Chrome [Re: Terri824] #966362
07/05/14 12:09 PM
07/05/14 12:09 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
There is absolutely no bloatware with Firefox. I just put it on a new computer for someone last week. You downloaded from a website other that Mozilla Firefox as Inland and Jenny said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, bermag45), 275 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users