GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Failure to install Barrow Hill from disk #965863
07/02/14 05:36 PM
07/02/14 05:36 PM
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I purchased and loaded this game a couple of years ago, when I still had XP and it ran fine. I started to play it, and then did not continue at that time, for a number of reasons. Quite a while ago, I removed it from my computer. Now I'm trying to re-install it.

Now, my OS is Win7. I read through the topic about Win7 and "older" games, and it appears that Barrow Hill runs fine for people. However, it will not launch the install for me. I put it in the drive, and it doesn't start spinning. If I try to initiate the install manually, I don't hear the drive begin to spin and I just get the Win7 "I'm working on it" icon on my screen, spinning away into perpetuity. I can't even get out of the screen at this point without rebooting my computer.

Any ideas what might be happening or how I could get the install to launch?

Here are my current stats:
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8 gig of RAM
Motherboard: ASUS P8 H61-M LX R2.0 Series
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Hard Drive: Western Digital 500 gig
Monitor: Dell 2407WFP (Digital)

Re: Failure to install Barrow Hill from disk [Re: Reenie] #965865
07/02/14 05:41 PM
07/02/14 05:41 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
First thing I would do is clean the disk and try again. I had a game disk some time ago that acted like this. It didn't show anything on it, but as soon as I cleaned it, the install worked.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Failure to install Barrow Hill from disk [Re: Draclvr] #965871
07/02/14 06:00 PM
07/02/14 06:00 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Wow, Drac, that has got to be the quickest, easiest "glitch fix" in my 25 years of computer gaming! LOL As absurd as it sounds to clean a clean disk, that worked! Thanks a bunch!
happydance

Re: Failure to install Barrow Hill from disk [Re: Reenie] #965876
07/02/14 06:41 PM
07/02/14 06:41 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Woo hoo! I remember I thrashed myself to death trying to get this disk to work and finally backed up and started from scratch.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Failure to install Barrow Hill from disk [Re: Draclvr] #967833
07/14/14 07:27 PM
07/14/14 07:27 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

The game is playing fine, but it is behaving in a most curious manner. It left it in the DVD player after downloading it, and it spools up every time I launch the computer, whether or not I ask to start the game. Not slow about it, either. I was starting to wonder if I need to have the disk in the drive for it to play, or if I would be better off taking it out?

Then my computer crashed with a Device Driver Failure two days ago when I started up. Hours later, after trouble-shooting the mouse and keyboard, which both became unresponsive, I could not even try to reload Windows (a common fix for these Ghost-in-the-Machine moments). I finally had to take it to the IT doctor. I have everything backed up and have a backup computer also, so no biggee except whatever they'll charge me for trouble-shooting it, but now I am wondering if it set off this cascade of events?

Re: Failure to install Barrow Hill from disk [Re: Reenie] #967836
07/14/14 07:50 PM
07/14/14 07:50 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Reenie
The game is playing fine, but it is behaving in a most curious manner. It left it in the DVD player after downloading it, and it spools up every time I launch the computer, whether or not I ask to start the game. Not slow about it, either. I was starting to wonder if I need to have the disk in the drive for it to play, or if I would be better off taking it out?

I'd take the disc out when not using it. Then you can try starting the game without it. I don't remember whether you need the disc in the drive for the disc check.

I used to leave discs in the drive back when I had Windows 98. But it seems to cause trouble with Windows Vista, 7, and 8. All that thrashing around. Maybe it's related to antivirus and how they want to scan everything you're doing now.

Quote:
Then my computer crashed with a Device Driver Failure two days ago when I started up. Hours later, after trouble-shooting the mouse and keyboard, which both became unresponsive, I could not even try to reload Windows (a common fix for these Ghost-in-the-Machine moments). I finally had to take it to the IT doctor. I have everything backed up and have a backup computer also, so no biggee except whatever they'll charge me for trouble-shooting it, but now I am wondering if it set off this cascade of events?

I wouldn't blame the DVD itself. The drive may have been on the way out, and the extra work pushed it over the edge. But that's a guess. The repairman may be able to tell you more.

Did you get the disc out before sending the computer to the doctor?

Re: Failure to install Barrow Hill from disk [Re: Jenny100] #967847
07/14/14 08:38 PM
07/14/14 08:38 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Yes, I did remove the game disk before taking the computer in. I got my computer back an hour ago, and the IT doctor said none of the problems arose for him, during his bench test. He let the computer run overnight and nothing untoward happened. Nothing in diagnostics. However, he was not using my keyboard nor Logitech mouse for his test run, and I do not know if he tried to run a disk in the DVD drive, so I am not sanguine that things are fine at this point. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens when I plug my stuff back into the box. If things are still t*ts up, I'll re-install Windows first. If that doesn't do it, it has to be hardware, right?

In any case, I definitely will not start up the computer with the game disk in the drive from here on.

Computers. Humph!

Re: Failure to install Barrow Hill from disk [Re: Reenie] #967855
07/14/14 09:46 PM
07/14/14 09:46 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
If it has trouble with the Barrow Hill DVD, see if it can read different DVD's.

Re: Failure to install Barrow Hill from disk [Re: Jenny100] #967859
07/14/14 09:59 PM
07/14/14 09:59 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Yes, definitely. Thanks! It is all spooky because the first thing that failed was the mouse. I thought the battery might be dead, but it wasn't that. Then the keyboard stopped responding. (shakes head)

Re: Failure to install Barrow Hill from disk [Re: Reenie] #967863
07/14/14 10:07 PM
07/14/14 10:07 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Computers can be weird.

Re: Failure to install Barrow Hill from disk [Re: Jenny100] #967867
07/14/14 10:21 PM
07/14/14 10:21 PM
Reenie Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Reenie  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

lol Now THAT is the first hearty laugh I've had today, Jenny. Thanks for that.

I've also been enduring a great deal of frustration today while trying to buy a Rail Pass from the Swiss Rail site and to determine why one of their pages says the tickets I want are for sale but when I go to verify this, another page says "no connections are available on that date." Ridiculous. "Swiss Efficiency" just became an oxymoron.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Lex, curly), 396 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users