GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Capri Connection can't get game to open #969773
07/25/14 12:08 PM
07/25/14 12:08 PM
Piney Woods of East Texas
joanieS Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
joanieS  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I guess it's just me and my continuing inability to use a computer after 20 years. I am at the Zodiac site. Game has downloaded and installed and same page says in orange letters "play". Nothing is happening. I cannot even see a section on the site page to go to for help.

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words." ...unknown
Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969778
07/25/14 12:42 PM
07/25/14 12:42 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
joanieS,
Like I know anything but have you tried right clicking on the desktop shortcut, going to Properties and choosing Run as Administrator?
Seriously just a guess.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969786
07/25/14 01:06 PM
07/25/14 01:06 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I don't know anything about Zodiac or what form of activation they use.
On my version of the game, I wasn't able to get past the title screen until I emailed the game-generated 14-digit number to the developer, received back a 10-digit number, and then entered the 10-digit number into a box on the title screen to "unlock" the game. However the Zodiac version may use a different form of copy "protection."

If you continue to have problems, try emailing Zodiac at help@zodiac-store.com

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969815
07/25/14 04:00 PM
07/25/14 04:00 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
I am having the exact same problem. I click play,the screen briefly says "running" then goes back to ready. Nothing happens.Help. I tried emailing but so far no response even though they claim immediate response.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969827
07/25/14 04:56 PM
07/25/14 04:56 PM
joanieS Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
joanieS  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Interestingly enough, Traveler, with the blankety-blank problem I am having trying to save games with realMyst, switching to administrator was given as a possible fix. So, I have already gone to the administrator position trying to resolve THAT game. Nada. Wondering if all my problems can be blamed on Windows 8?

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words." ...unknown
Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969828
07/25/14 05:08 PM
07/25/14 05:08 PM
joanieS Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
joanieS  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I just checked my e-mail and have a welcoming message from Zodiac with an e-mail address for questions/whatever. Have just sent a message off. When I get an answer I will refer him/her to this page. Help is on the way.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969832
07/25/14 06:44 PM
07/25/14 06:44 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
1). I have win7 with same problem so its not win8.
2). Been 4 hours with no response from support.
3). The maker of the game actually called me from Italy when I first tried to purchase the game because he couldn't send me an email. The emails were being returned to him. My email to him was received ok. Very strange,so he told me to go to the alternative Zodiac website.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969892
07/26/14 08:07 AM
07/26/14 08:07 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
Got response from support.
1) Said to check quarantine area of virus protection.
2) Sent a link to a directx update
Neither suggestion helped.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969897
07/26/14 08:45 AM
07/26/14 08:45 AM
Sunny Devon, United Kingdom
Upsydaisy Offline
Addicted Boomer
Upsydaisy  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sunny Devon, United Kingdom
Just a thought-have you tried going to the developers website http://www.caprisaga.com/smooth-execution.html -scrolling down to Windows 8 execution, there appears to be various steps to take after 'running as administrator' before the game runs. wave

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969899
07/26/14 09:00 AM
07/26/14 09:00 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
Upsydaisy in our situation there is no desktop icon.We are trying to play from a special page of the website that you get access to after you pay.There is a button there called play but not right-clickable.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969915
07/26/14 10:31 AM
07/26/14 10:31 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Geo
Upsydaisy in our situation there is no desktop icon. We are trying to play from a special page of the website that you get access to after you pay.There is a button there called play but not right-clickable.

I assume this is where you bought the game
http://www.zodiac-store.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=843

Googling "Zodiac games" brought up all sorts of rubbish so I'm putting the link here to save time.

Going by the information on their ***support page***, the game actually does install on your computer, and that support link gives possible locations for the installation.

So try locating the game installation on your hard drive. See if you can find the game exe there.
If it's anything like my installation, there will be a bazillion files in the game folder. Look for an .exe file that starts with "Capri" (mine was CapriNew.exe).
Right-click the executable --> Properties --> Compatibility tab --> set compatibility to XP SP2 and "Run this program as Administrator" checked --> Apply and/or OK changes.

I don't think my installation produced a desktop shortcut. I think I made it myself (right-click the executable --> Send To --> Desktop (create shortcut)). But I'm not 100% sure.

If the Zodiac website is accessing an installation on your hard drive when it starts the game, this may work. If Zodiac is hosting a version of the game that is completely online, or if there is no executable at all being stored on your hard drive, then Zodiac will have to help you.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969933
07/26/14 11:22 AM
07/26/14 11:22 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
I don't know what they mean by address bar in "My computer",but if they mean win-ex the search turned up nothing.However after searching on my own I found A Zodiac folder under "users" with a subfolder called games with a subfolder called CapriConnection. In this folder are hundreds of music files and hundreds of fotos and hundreds of other kinds of files but no "exe" file that I could find.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969936
07/26/14 11:45 AM
07/26/14 11:45 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Windows Search misses a lot of things because it doesn't search your whole computer by default. Even when I tell it to search everything, it often only searches an old index instead of searching current files. For me it's just easier to search using a command Window:
CD \
DIR Capri*.exe /S

But you don't really need to search for the location, because if you have the .exe file, it will be in the game folder.

You won't see the .exe at the end of the file name unless you have Windows configured not to hide file extensions. See if you can sort the files in the game folder by name, then look through files that start with Capri.

In Windows Explorer, right-click a white area in the game folder where there is no file, then click Sort by --> and put the dot next to Name. Then look for files starting with the letters Capri.

I only have 8 files in the game folder that start with Capri. See how many you have. If you have 7, then Zodiac may be trying to use an exe that's hosted on their website. If you have 8, then one of them may be your exe.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969940
07/26/14 12:17 PM
07/26/14 12:17 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
I have 4 files ----3 are jpg's and one is a .zdc
------------------------------------------------
When I purchased the game there were no instructions telling me I had to do anything on my computer to get the game to run. It just takes you to a page with a run button.If there were complicated additional things to do don't you think they would tell you? I do.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #969942
07/26/14 12:26 PM
07/26/14 12:26 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
That's very different from mine then.
I have 7 jpg's and the one .exe

Your .zdc sounds like a Zodiac file.
It looks like Zodiac has replaced part of the original game.
And they may have broken it. :(

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #970012
07/26/14 07:13 PM
07/26/14 07:13 PM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
joanieS have you made any headway? Any success?

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #970145
07/27/14 06:50 PM
07/27/14 06:50 PM
joanieS Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
joanieS  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Just wanted to say I rec'd a quick response from Zodiac with suggestions. I believe I am at the point thru Zodiac where it is not Zodiac's download that's the problem and he has suggested contacting the producers for a "vanilla copy"? and possibly having to resort to a new download. So far, suggestions tried have not produced any results. Glad to know there is a posse out there working on this!!!!

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #970154
07/27/14 07:59 PM
07/27/14 07:59 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: joanieS
Interestingly enough, Traveler, with the blankety-blank problem I am having trying to save games with realMyst, switching to administrator was given as a possible fix. So, I have already gone to the administrator position trying to resolve THAT game.

What do you mean when you say "gone to the administrator postion?"
Right-clicking and choosing "Run As Administrator" is not the same thing as logging into an account with administrator privileges. If your RealMyst game came from Zodiac, choosing "Run as Administrator" may not be possible.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #970177
07/28/14 12:59 AM
07/28/14 12:59 AM
C
Collector Offline
Settled Boomer
Collector  Offline
Settled Boomer
C

One simple solution to running games that want elevated privileges to run properly is to simply reinstall in a non system folder, since often the problem is because of the limited write permissions of the %ProgramFiles% folder. To address this, GOG has now set a default install locations for the older games of "C:\GOG Games".

You can install somewhere inside your user folder, but other users may not have access to the game. If you create a new base folder for installing legacy games, all users should have access as long as no one takes ownership of the folder.

There are other reasons why a game may need to run as an elevated process, but write permissions are the most common. Note that some clients like steam will offer you any choice of install location, but older games can sometimes simply be moved after installed, provided they do not require paths stored in config files or the Registry.

Owner, author of The Sierra Help Pages
Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #970204
07/28/14 07:14 AM
07/28/14 07:14 AM
joanieS Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
joanieS  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

No, RealMyst came from Big Fish. All I can say about running as administrator is in my searching trials I found an area that offered the choice to do so, so I did. Sorry, I repeat, I am not a computer person. Can Firefox have anything to do with this?.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #970232
07/28/14 09:15 AM
07/28/14 09:15 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
I have one last question on this problem and then I am going to give up,mainly because I feel I paid my money and I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get it to run.
The question is, we know that Zodiac has to connect to the game on the computer and it does this via the file with a .zdc extention. That file is in a folder under users and in a subfolder that is my computer name that I made when I activated win7.This folder has a little lock symbol on it. Is it possible this little lock symbol is preventing Zodiac from getting to that folder? Robert Gault if you are following this please comment.
---------------------------------------------------------
After thinking about it they must have access or how could they have put the game in there in the first place.

Last edited by Geo; 07/28/14 09:47 AM. Reason: addition
Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #970235
07/28/14 09:33 AM
07/28/14 09:33 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
joanieS,
Firefox has nothing to do with a Big Fish game. But it sounds like you have to log into Zodiac online in order to start the game. If that's the case, the Capri game could be effected by your web browser.

The game exe for Big Fish games is a hidden file. If you tell Windows to make hidden files visible, the game exe will show up as the only hidden file in the game folder. Hidden files and folders will look sort of semi-transparent -- not as "solid" as regular files. If you don't see any semi-transparent files in the RealMyst folder, then you probably haven't displayed hidden files and folders and haven't set it to "Run as Administrator." Here's a site with links that tell how to make hidden files visible in different versions of Windows:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/f/show-hidden-files.htm

Using "Run As Administrator" on the desktop shortcut that Big Fish creates for you doesn't help because it points to the Big Fish Client and not the game executable itself.

You can configure the Big Fish client to install someplace other than C:\Program Files. Open the Big Fish Client, click "Options" at the top right, choose the Downloads tab, and at the bottom is a box where you can type in or browse to the location where you want the Big Fish Client to install your games. Then OK the change.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

and about Capri...

Since I don't know exactly how Zodiac works, but Geo says there is no game exe in the game folder, I assume that they require you to run an executable that is on the Zodiac site instead of on your hard drive. If that's the case, there may be a conflict with your web browser, antivirus, or software firewall. Trying to run an executable from off the Internet may not be seen as "safe" by antivirus or software firewalls and may be being blocked. Zodiac may be trying to get around that by storing the game executable in a Temporary folder somewhere on your hard drive, but that may also be blocked. Your antivirus may even be deleting the file in the temporary folder as soon as it's created. And without knowing the name of the file, you can't create an exception in your antivirus.

Geo,
I don't know what the .zdc file does or how Zodiac makes use of it, so I can't really answer your question.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #970243
07/28/14 09:49 AM
07/28/14 09:49 AM
Michigan
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer
Geo  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Michigan
Yes that is correct Jenny100 you start the game from the Zodiac site.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #970260
07/28/14 11:51 AM
07/28/14 11:51 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
I wonder if anyone is successfully running the Zodiac version of The Capri Connection.

I cannot even access the www.zodiac-store.com website at the moment. When I try, I eventually get a message saying "500 Internal Server Error" and "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request."

The ***Down for Everyone or Just Me*** website says it's not just me and the website is down for everyone. I wonder if Zodiac took their servers down to fix a problem on their end.

Re: Capri Connection can't get game to open [Re: joanieS] #970661
07/30/14 12:04 PM
07/30/14 12:04 PM
Georgia USA
D
DocPaul Offline
Addicted Boomer
DocPaul  Offline
Addicted Boomer
D

Georgia USA
I have the same problem as others. and Sadly, no one has an answer. I think that's the saddest thing. wasted 20 dollars. I'll never use Zodiac again, that's for sure.
I don't even have the capri executable on my machine. Zodiac has absconded it with zodiacrun.exe which doesn't start the game.
Honestly, I think I''m done altogether with new games.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, BrownEyedTigre), 233 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users