GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#972151 - 08/08/14 09:57 AM Re: Computer shuts down on its own [Re: Winfrey]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
Winfrey, while what Homer says is possible, I would put heat at the bottom of the list. This was built by eCollegePC and ONLY if you see temps out of the norm using Speccy should you worry about this. Like I said, don't look at the rpms... only the temps. What are your temps running at? Look at the CPU and the video card temps.

IF you see temps in the red, one thing you might do is open the side of the case and simply look inside to be sure all the fans are running. I can't remember how many you have, but it's quite a few. The fan on the CPU heatsink and the video care are the most critical. But don't worry about it unless you see temps in Speccy that are way too high.

You are going to see odd messages like in your event log now and then. I have them all the time. It's only when you can pinpoint exactly when your computer shut down on its own and relate an event log to what happened. It's going to show the shut-down event, but it's the events leading up to it that might tell you something.

You don't say, but has it shut down on its own since you removed that piece of potential malware?

#972153 - 08/08/14 10:00 AM Re: Computer shuts down on its own [Re: Winfrey]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: The Country
I have Speccy up now and watching it. No the computer has not shut down yet... :-)

#972157 - 08/08/14 10:24 AM Re: Computer shuts down on its own [Re: Winfrey]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Winfrey
So would I have to open the computer? Would I be able to tell as I have never built a computer?

I wouldn't recommend checking thermal goop to someone who was unfamiliar with the insides of a computer. Even for a computer that was not under warranty.

Thermal goop goes under the heat sink, which has a fan on top.
There's no way of checking it without removing the heat sink, and then you'd need to reapply the goop. That can be tricky. You have to avoid bubbles, and use the right amount of goop. Too little and you get insufficient coverage. Too much and the goop oozes out from under the heat sink and gets on other stuff where it shouldn't be.

Many companies don't even use thermal goop unless you specifically request it.
Instead they use thermal pads that are easier to apply.

If you suspect a problem with your computer and it's under warranty, you probably want to contact their tech support. Homer6 may be right about the problem being related to processor cooling, especially if the computer does this while you're using it and it's not caused by sleep or hibernation settings. But I wouldn't recommend a newbie try to fix something like that themselves without supervision by someone familiar with applying thermal compound.

As Draclvr says, you can tell whether the processor is cooling properly by monitoring processor temperature.

#972158 - 08/08/14 10:27 AM Re: Computer shuts down on its own [Re: Winfrey]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

Thanks Jenny I have an email into Ecollege. I am watching my temps with the Piriform Speccy right now... mostly staying between 35 and 40

#972162 - 08/08/14 10:41 AM Re: Computer shuts down on its own [Re: Winfrey]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

That's perfect for a Core i7 CPU. Like I said, I don't think temperature is your problem. If it hasn't happened since you removed that potential malware, that could very well have been the problem. By far, the most common cause of this issue I found (after hardware problems) was malware.

#972177 - 08/08/14 12:06 PM Re: Computer shuts down on its own [Re: Winfrey]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

Now what is interesting.. my Temps are 38..42. but I started a game.. call of Atlantis... and my fan starts to really kick in.. I click the windows button and go back to desktop and see that the temps have risen to 63?

#972191 - 08/08/14 12:45 PM Re: Computer shuts down on its own [Re: Winfrey]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

That's EXACTLY what is supposed to happen. My video card and CPU temps can go even higher than that especially when playing an RPG or a shooter.

#972192 - 08/08/14 12:48 PM Re: Computer shuts down on its own [Re: Winfrey]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

ok.. good to know, i'm going to stop worrying now and go ride my horse! monky

#972207 - 08/08/14 02:43 PM Re: Computer shuts down on its own [Re: Winfrey]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Riding your horse will make ALL your worries go away!

#973933 - 08/18/14 10:38 AM Re: Computer shuts down on its own [Re: Winfrey]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

was getting errors like this; Page fault non page area found a link and tried this:

(these are system files, if you think they are corrupt you can use the system file checker to fix them.
start command as a admin
(windows key+x, then type A)

sfc.exe /scannow <----------this will check the system files for corruption and repair any found

if you get a message indicating that it can not be repaired, run this command
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth )

Nothing I tried ever worked. I did not try dism.exe restore health cause I am not sure what that does.
Mike at ecollege said turn off sleep. I did not want to do that but ended up turning off sleep. I used to like to let it sleep and turn it off on Sundays... but....
Since turning it off every night It has not crashed.... hmmmmmm

Edited by Winfrey (08/18/14 10:42 AM)

#973999 - 08/18/14 08:30 PM Re: Computer shuts down on its own [Re: Winfrey]
Darleen03 Offline
Adept Boomer

Loc: Northeast NJ
Winfrey....Is the computer shutting down like before?

I also would be concerned if a tech support person told you to turn off sleep on a brand new computer. duh That should not be an option on a new computer.

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"

#974136 - 08/19/14 08:38 PM Re: Computer shuts down on its own [Re: Winfrey]
Winfrey Offline
Addicted Boomer

Yes Darleen I was never able to fix this problem. In googling this issue it seems like I am not alone.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  InlandAZ, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
13 registered (Marian, Cari, Laurette, Haroula, birddog, Melia, manxman, auntiegram, Pokey, kjos), 68 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Newest Members
DotEmu, JoyBunBun, Cabb, Veilant, tookiebgirl12
8544 Registered Users