GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure #980352
09/27/14 08:28 AM
09/27/14 08:28 AM
Finland
T
TJL Offline OP
Settled Boomer
TJL  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
T

Finland
Phuhhhh! Finally got it running. Because of some older games I still use Windows XP. I was able to start this game but when I clicked "New Game" it showed three dots running in bottom right corner for some time and then gave a message "Out of Graphics Memory".

Selecting lower resolution and/or overall quality didn't help. As the last trick I upgraded my nVidia GTX 260 graphics driver to the latest one, which I already knew to cause problem with one racing simulation game. It didn't help.

The reason the error message says can't be true because the highest usage recorded at game startup was only 141 MB and the card has 896 MB. Also all other minimum specifications were fulfilled, Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz and 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM with /3G switch. There must be some glitch with the 32-bit version at least on some component combination.

When I bought for my son a gaming laptop for Christmas 2012 it gave an option to download Windows 8 Pro within 3 months from purchase. We never installed it to that computer and now I installed it to my desktop PC as the last chance to run this game. I had 150 GB unallocated space on HDD which I now used to create a new partition for W8.

After several hours of installation, updates and driver installation It finally was ready for test drive. Hurrah, the new game funtion finally started nicely. Dropped resolution a bit down while keeping the overall quality high to make it run smooth. Now all there is to wait for the dark to get into the right atmosphere playing the game using headphones.

But all the other dinosaurs using Windows XP, be warned that this game may not run on all rigs.

Has the game run smoothly for you regardless of OS or have you met any problems yet?

Now this second dual boot environment W8 gives me also a chance to run the new Sherlock Holmes game to be released on Monday. It requires Windows Vista at least.

I consider buying a new SSHD and moving the current partition to it without re-installation to offer more space for games. 150 GB is used quickly these days.

Timo

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #980371
09/27/14 10:45 AM
09/27/14 10:45 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Glad you were able to fix your problem.
It sounds like XP (and drivers for XP) aren't well supported.
Or maybe it's 32-bit graphics drivers for any version of Windows that aren't well supported.
Is your Windows 8 a 64-bit version?

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #980377
09/27/14 11:35 AM
09/27/14 11:35 AM
CA
Norma Offline
Addicted Boomer
Norma  Offline
Addicted Boomer

CA
I can't get my game to work on my window 7 64-bit. I wrote to the tech at GOG, but haven't heard back.
Disappointed that I couldn't get the cd version from Amazon. Will write back if I find out how to solve my problem.

Norma

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #980404
09/27/14 01:48 PM
09/27/14 01:48 PM
Finland
T
TJL Offline OP
Settled Boomer
TJL  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
T

Finland
@Jenny

I first installed Windows 8 Pro and later upgraded it to Windows 8.1 Pro.
Both versions 64-bit and run The Vanishing of Ethan Carter well.
Now also with Logitech Dual Action Pad which I prefer instead of keyboard and mouse control.
My Windows XP Pro SP3 is 32-bit.

@Norma

So sorry to hear you can't play the game.
What exactly is the problem with the game?
Won't the game start at all or does it have problem starting new game from game menu?
Does your computer meet minimum specs and do you have latest graphics drivers installed?

Timo

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #980406
09/27/14 02:02 PM
09/27/14 02:02 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
Hi Timo,
I'm one of those WIN XP Dinosaurs (lol)I have the same error message and symptoms that YOU have experienced while trying to start this game. I e-mailed both GOG and the developer asking for help and haven't received any replies as yet. SO, I decided to try my wife's VISTA PC and I'm downloading the files right now. I'll keep you posted as to my "progress". HAPPY GAMING!
Sandy

Great idea, but had the same result. BTW, the error messages that I get are different than yours, Timo. Same message on both computers: "AstronautGames-Win 32-SHIPPING.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.". I've never seen THAT one before.
Guess I'll have to wait for the "Support" replies.

Last edited by sanford; 09/27/14 03:14 PM. Reason: added text
Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #980496
09/28/14 01:45 AM
09/28/14 01:45 AM
CA
Norma Offline
Addicted Boomer
Norma  Offline
Addicted Boomer

CA
Hi TJL,

I got this error: Astronauts Game-Win64-shipping.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I had no notice from Windows and didn't get a reply from GOG tech support.

I just noticed I have the same error message as Sanford.

Hope GOG can help us

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #980510
09/28/14 04:20 AM
09/28/14 04:20 AM
Finland
T
TJL Offline OP
Settled Boomer
TJL  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
T

Finland
Hi Norma and Sanford,

I also got the same error as you occasionally but most often it was the one about running out of graphics memory which iwas not actually true. I believe which error message I got depended on graphics settings used at start.

So it seems both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows users with XP, Vista or 7 are affected. Of course the error message we all got is just an allround error message covering almost every possible scenario. The reasons behind it may be easy to fix or then not. But I'm sure the developers makes their best to solve them soon.

Last night I finally started playing the game using Logitech Dual Action Gamepad and noticed immediately that this game also has the annoying feature that the left stick up/down functions the other way you could expect. When you push it you go backward, when you pull it you go forward. But it's quite easy to fix. Here is how you do it:

1) Locate the file BaseInput.ini. In my case it's in folder C:\GOG Games\The Vanishing of Ethan Carter\Engine\Config.
2) Make a copy of that file if you mess something with the original.
3) The original file is in Read Only state, so untick it for the time of operation.
4) Open the file with Notepad, Wordpad or similar text editor.
5) Locate the line Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftY",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.3") under section [Engine.PlayerInput].
6) Change parameter Speed=1.0 to Speed=-1.0 to reverse the axis.
7) Save the file and return Read Only state.

After getting the controller to work fine I finally played around one hour too. I'm prone to feel motion sickness and this game with it's first person view is no exception. So no long sessions for me. But the field of view is adjustable so I must try changing it to reduce the effect.

The world of this game with all it's detail is amazing. I walked from the rail tracks over 100 meters to the woods without reaching the end of the world and then turned back because I was afraid to get lost! Later I played with the thought that what if I had really got lost there and wandered around for hours, who had resqued me, or had I simply died there finally, lol!

Timo

Last edited by TJL; 09/28/14 07:26 AM. Reason: Added instructions
Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #980614
09/28/14 02:57 PM
09/28/14 02:57 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
Timo, I'm glad that you are now able to play this game via your XBOX. All I have is my "trusty" PC. I'm still waiting to hear from the GOG Support Team regarding this problem. If, they would just tell me that the game will not work with my system, I would be very satisfied to take a refund, or better STILL, a "coupon code" towards the purchase of another game. I presently have 43 games in my GOG "Library". I think that qualifies me as being a "good" and "loyal" customer of GOG.
As far as getting this familiarly same "Error Message" as others have, I am "assuming" that there is some kind of "bug" that has not been fixed by the developer of the game. BTW, I have e-mailed the support team of the developer (TheAstronauts.com) but as yet I have not heard from them either. "The saga continues."
Sandy

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #980665
09/28/14 08:43 PM
09/28/14 08:43 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: sanford
Timo, I'm glad that you are now able to play this game via your XBOX.

Timo is using Windows, not an XBox.
Just because the game's configuration file refers to his game controller as an "XboxTypeS" doesn't mean he's using an XBox.

According to the ***Wikipedia***, there are no plans to release it on XBox, though it may have a PS4 release some time next year.

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #980666
09/28/14 09:14 PM
09/28/14 09:14 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
Thanks Jenny. It shows how "sophisticated" I am about these Electronic things. Still haven't heard from GOG Support and from the developer of this game. I have a feeling that they are finding out that there is a BIG problem with this game, and hopefully they are trying to come up with a FIX. I have downloaded and installed this game on two computers (one with WIN XP, and one with VISTA). I get the exact same error message on both. Not only that, but both computers CRASH when trying to use "Task Manager" to END the program. Looks like I'm not the only Boomer to be experiencing this problem. In any case, let's give the developer and GOG a fair chance to "make it right".
Sandy

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #980682
09/29/14 12:53 AM
09/29/14 12:53 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
I sure hope they do. I downloaded to my Windows 8.1 computer and it's playing without a hitch so far.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #980789
09/29/14 03:35 PM
09/29/14 03:35 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
I just got a reply from GOG Support, and he directed me to the GOG PATCH for this game which is now in "My Library". Downloaded it, installed it and I have the same problem on BOTH of my computers that I originally had. I just replied to "Support", and I await the next suggestion.
Sandy.

GOG SUPPORT is still trying to help me get this game working, but I fear that it's a lost cause in this case.

Last edited by sanford; 09/30/14 02:47 PM. Reason: added text
Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #982198
10/07/14 04:01 PM
10/07/14 04:01 PM
CA
Norma Offline
Addicted Boomer
Norma  Offline
Addicted Boomer

CA
I heard from GOG support and downloaded the patch but I still can't play the game and get the same error. Has anyone been able to get the game to work?

Sandy

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: Norma] #982203
10/07/14 04:27 PM
10/07/14 04:27 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Originally Posted By: Norma
I heard from GOG support and downloaded the patch but I still can't play the game and get the same error. Has anyone been able to get the game to work?

Sandy

What error message are you getting?

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #982213
10/07/14 05:16 PM
10/07/14 05:16 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
As I said above, I downloaded and played on my Windows 8.1 computer.

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #982231
10/07/14 07:13 PM
10/07/14 07:13 PM
CA
Norma Offline
Addicted Boomer
Norma  Offline
Addicted Boomer

CA
Hi Marian, my error is Astronauts Game-Win64-Shipping.exe has stopped working. the game doesn't start

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: Norma] #982235
10/07/14 07:39 PM
10/07/14 07:39 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Several folks on the GOG forum had this problem, and this solution worked for them:

Quote:
I had the same problem. Once you open the launcher disable antialiasing and start the game. Then you can turn it on while you are in-game. It worked for me.

Let us know if that helps (if it isn't something you've already tried).

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #982362
10/08/14 11:24 AM
10/08/14 11:24 AM
FLORIDA
UruKat Offline
Settled Boomer
UruKat  Offline
Settled Boomer

FLORIDA
I'm playing it on Windows 7, 64 bit and it's working fine. I get an occasional lag, but otherwise it runs fine.

Following the Yellow Brick Road in search of the White Rabbit so I can fly away to Neverland
Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #984464
10/20/14 08:54 PM
10/20/14 08:54 PM
CA
Norma Offline
Addicted Boomer
Norma  Offline
Addicted Boomer

CA
Hi Marian,

I downloaded a patch, but not sure it was the 3rd patch and the game still won't play. I have given up on it for awhile because I don't have time right now.
Thank you for all the help smile

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #984467
10/20/14 09:06 PM
10/20/14 09:06 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
This game requires a stand alone video card, so if your video is integrated, it probably won't play. Did you try the suggestion to turn off antialiasing as Marian suggested?

Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - A Supernatural Horror Adventure [Re: TJL] #984594
10/21/14 12:15 PM
10/21/14 12:15 PM
CA
Norma Offline
Addicted Boomer
Norma  Offline
Addicted Boomer

CA
My video cards are fine. I have to reinstall the game and also the 3rd patch but I lost interest. GK1 Sins of the Father remake is out and also playing WOW.
Having fun with GK1 smile

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (hagatha), 370 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users