GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
aura fate of the ages HELP!! #987158
11/05/14 04:13 PM
11/05/14 04:13 PM
S
samuel Offline OP
Settled Boomer
samuel  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
S

dear people.
i am playing now,(aura fate of the ages),a very nice game,the problem is,this game works very funny,as you
may know,that this game is a puzzle game,some puzzles
work good some not at all,in short words,why is this so ?
can you tell me what's wrong with this game ?
how can i make it run normal,my computer have almost 4
gig ram,i have looked trough,and found that this game
meets all requirments,i got the information from the
little boklet wich comes with it.
i thank in advance
samuel schwartz

Last edited by samuel; 11/05/14 04:14 PM.
Re: aura fate of the ages HELP!! [Re: samuel] #987160
11/05/14 04:50 PM
11/05/14 04:50 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
What do you mean some puzzles "don't work at all?"
Which puzzles, and how are they not working?
What version of Windows do you have?
Draclvr's Windows 7 list says Aura works perfectly or with minor tweaks.
Are you using the old disc version or a download version from GOG/DotEMU/Steam/other?
Game box for 2004 version says it needs at least 32MB of discrete video memory.
If your computer has onboard graphics with only shared memory, the game may not work properly -- certain things may not load during the game.

Re: aura fate of the ages HELP!! [Re: samuel] #987194
11/05/14 09:45 PM
11/05/14 09:45 PM
S
samuel Offline OP
Settled Boomer
samuel  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
S

dear sir.
it is very hard for me,to list all puzzles,wich did not work
ask MaG,how many times,she sent me save games,then you will
know the rest,1 thing i will tell you i had to go and talk
to the spirit wolmans,helper,so to go to the spirit woman
is easy,there is a ledder you go up,but to her helper was not easy,because when you reach the end,of the little rope
bridge,i had to pan left,in order to locate the helpers ledder,then geting a cursor arrowto go up,but NO ARROW,i made a search maybe a patch is needed,i found a patch,wich
fixed the problem,my windows version is,(xp pro,sp3 32x),the
game was installed,from 3 cd-rom's,i uninstalled it,bought
by amazon a full download version,same problem,uninstalled it,i bought by DotEMU,same problem,i have on board a built
in video chip,fro intel,but long ago bought a separate video
card with 2 gig memory,the intel card is diabled, bought at
ebay the same game,brand new,(dvd)version from sweden i still wait for it,lets see.
i thank in advance
samuel schwartz

Re: aura fate of the ages HELP!! [Re: samuel] #987271
11/06/14 12:59 PM
11/06/14 12:59 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
The ***Balmoral Software Review/Walkthrough*** suggests a save game edit to be applied after using the patch:
Quote:
Frequent game crashes and lockups were completely fixed by installing Patch 104, available on Dreamcatcher's web site. After installation of the patch, an indication appears on the Main Menu screen to confirm that it has been applied. However, even after the patch was installed, we experienced a bug in the game that prevented further progress without a manual edit of the saved-game file (described below). And at least one game resulted in a random glowing green fang appearing in the inventory, even though it had already been used to solve a previous puzzle. However, since we had found a workaround for the worst of these issues, our enjoyment of the game was not affected...

...Arkampus shows you another diagram on the wall in the statue room and gives you an "Unknown amulet" (unused in this game). Return to the puzzle in the statue room and re-enter the same solution you used before. A cutscene shows the statue lever being operated again. Go to the back of the puzzle and operate the statue lever twice to tilt the statue back and provide access to another passageway above the statue.

Note: We experienced a bug in the game at this point. There were some saved games that provided no statue-lever hotspot even though the puzzle in the center of the room had been completely solved. The only way around the problem was to manually edit the saved-game file to provide the correct statue status information. To make this edit, exit the game and change the value of %Statua from 1 to 2 in the Saved\Storednnnn.str text file in the Aura installation folder. Then restore the game and change your position once to see the correct statue orientation and passageway access.

Hopefully Balmoral's save game edit will help with your current problem.

I've never played the game using XP SP3. I played it using XP SP1. MaG may also have played using XP SP1, since she writes walkthroughs as soon as the game is available. As you probably know, Microsoft tightened up security in XP SP2, which caused problems for many games. Multi-core processors on new computers may also cause problems -- some game information goes to one core, other game information goes to a different core, and they don't communicate with each other properly so the game messes up. Even with games that work well with dual core processors (Broken Sword 4 was this way -- worked fine with dual core, messed up with tri-core, quad-core, and higher).

If Balmoral's save game edit procedure doesn't help, here are some general, non-game-specific troubleshooting tips you can try:
  • Install the game into your My Documents folder instead of into Program Files (Program Files is the default). Windows XP SP2 and later tries to "protect" the computer from changes inside Program Files -- which can make some games not work properly -- at least on some computers.
  • Make sure your antivirus isn't blocking parts of the game. Maybe you can add the name of the game's executable file to the antivirus exception list.
  • If using a walkthrough, make sure you follow every step. Sometimes it's necessary to do some minor thing in order to trigger puzzles -- something you'd do without thinking if you solved the puzzle yourself, but which you might not think of if following a walkthrough. I've had this happen to me several times -- I thought I was following the walkthrough, but missed a step. I'd figure out what I'd missed myself, go back and check the walkthrough, and sure enough that step was there -- I'd just missed it somehow.
  • Do not mix saves from different versions of the game (patched, unpatched, or different publishers) unless you know for sure they are compatible. Compatibility problems may not show up immediately, but can show up later in the game.
  • It sounds like your video card is more than capable of playing the game, however different video drivers may work better for this particular game.
  • If you suspect a multi-core processor could be the problem, it may be fixed simply by running the game in compatibility mode (try Windows 98 or 2000 compatibility). Or you can try one of the solutions ***here*** that are supposed to lock the game to a single processor.

Also, near the beginning of ***MaG's walkthrough*** it says:
Quote:
Note: If the active spot disappears during gaming, exit the game and replay from a saved game.

So there may be some issues with the active spot going nonfunctional from time to time -- including within puzzles. Big nuisance with a game like this with difficult puzzles, but you may just have to start the puzzle over to get it to work.

These are just my best guesses. The game may need another patch to run well on modern computers. The patch 1.04 was apparently released in 2004, not long after the game was released.
***Gamewatcher lists date of patch 1.04 as December 2014***

Re: aura fate of the ages HELP!! [Re: samuel] #987312
11/06/14 08:02 PM
11/06/14 08:02 PM
R
Robert Gault Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert Gault  Offline
Addicted Boomer
R

No problems with "Aura" on my WinXP SP3 system with the 1.04 patch installed.

Re: aura fate of the ages HELP!! [Re: Robert Gault] #987375
11/07/14 10:48 AM
11/07/14 10:48 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Robert Gault
No problems with "Aura" on my WinXP SP3 system with the 1.04 patch installed.

It seems that some of the puzzles are buggy on some computers. The reviewer at Balmoral also had problems.

Re: aura fate of the ages HELP!! [Re: samuel] #987938
11/10/14 08:31 PM
11/10/14 08:31 PM
S
samuel Offline OP
Settled Boomer
samuel  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
S

dear people.
i played,(aura fate of the ages),the 2nd time,here is my
conclusion,dont play this game,from the cd-rom,its no good
i found that,dreamcatchers game is full of bugs,since he
sels this game,stay away,the next no good game,is download
from amazon,for the above reason,but i found that DotEMU is
fine,the next best is,to play from only DVD,because its made
by JoWood,with this one i had only one unworking puzzle plus
you dont need the patch,if you use the patch,it becomes no good,from all this,i see that the computer is not a problem
the problem is wich game you play.
i thank in advance.
samuel

Re: aura fate of the ages HELP!! [Re: samuel] #988026
11/11/14 11:11 AM
11/11/14 11:11 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Interesting to know that different sources of the game will perform differently, Samuel. Thanks for the info.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (curly, oldbroad), 355 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users