GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure #993658
12/17/14 10:38 AM
12/17/14 10:38 AM
Mr_Underhill Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Mr_Underhill  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Hey everyone, and welcome to a shameless self-plugging thread about this game we’re making called Gibbous.

Before any actual plugging, I wanna say I'm aware my first post on this forum is a self-ad, and appropriately ashamed about it. However, I promise this ain't no hit and run, as the song goes.

Title picture

Gibbous is a classic 2d point and click adventure, and yes it’s a Lucas Arts-like game. It also is, as the subtitle so unsubtle-y gives it away, a loving spoof of everything Lovecraftian, and then some.

The Story

You get to play as two characters (well, technically three):

Don R. Ketype

Don R. Ketype

Grizzled, jaded private detective Ketype is hired by mysterious patrons to seek out the dreaded Necronomicon, and that’s how the game starts out. How bad could things go, really? After all, it aint nothin’ but a book of some sorts… Don will cater to your noir needs, including describing how the rain pattered down on the concrete like a neurotic jazz band percussionist, sometimes without anyone around to appreciate his poetic similes.

Buzz Kerwan

Buzz Kerwan

Buzz is no more than a mild mannered cust... erm, librarian putting in hours at the Miskatonic University Library to pay for his belated tuition (he’s in his 30s, but that’s cool, man, y’know?). He accidentally stumbles upon the Necronomicon, and also accidentally turns his cat, Kitteh, into a…

Kitteh

Kitteh

...well, a grouch, really. Kitteh is REALLY pissed off at Buzz inadvertently yanking her from her serene, illuminated state - everyone knows cats are buddhists. She doesn’t want to worry about stuff like death cults seeking out the very object that personified her; all she wants is to go back to a worry-free life of sleep and kitty treats. Thus, Buzz and Kitteh set out to find someone, anyone who can help reverse Kitteh’s transformation.

Search

Ok, ok, what about Cthulhu?

This story doesn’t take place, as you’d probably expect, in Lovecraft’s 1920s. It’s a tale of an alternative present where death cults are popping out everywhere, all in competition to find the Necronomicon and awaken Cthulhu, a lot of them just to prove that THEY’re the real cultists, and the rest are just a bunch of posers.

About the game...

As I mentioned before, we’re going for that old school point and clicky goodness. All characters are fully animated, mostly frame by frame, but also combined with some cutout animation; all backgrounds are handpainted (which takes up a lot of time, but that’s the way to go as far as we’re concerned).

The game will feature all known traits of the genre, and one I’m particularly determined to enforce: almost every possible combination of two items, whether in inventory or in the game world, will result in anywhere from one to five unique responses, so no more doing different actions just to have the same grating line thrown back at you. Of course, that takes a hell of a lot of writing, and makes voice acting a harder goal to reach, but, again, it’s something we really don’t want to compromise on.

We’re developing the game in Unity.

The influences!

Gibbous is a love letter to HP Lovecraft, Tim Schafer, Alfred Hitchcock, Steve Purcell,Ron Gilbert, Karl Pilkington and some other folks. Not that we're big on sending love letters to dead people.

The team!

The team consists of three people: myself as a writer, character & background artist, secondary animator, game designer and music composer; a main animator who also does sfx and additional music, and a programmer. We're based in Tirgu Mures, Transylvania, Romania.

Coming soon!

Gibbous is expected to have a fully functional vertical slice demo some time this coming spring, and we definitely want to Kickstart the project, since you can probably tell it will take some finances to get a game like this going smoothly.

So that’s that, looking forward to your feedback and I’ll be happy to answer any and all of your questions, as long as they’re not about programming stuff or winning lottery numbers.

Last edited by Mr_Underhill; 01/12/15 04:48 AM.
Re: The Clicker In Darkness - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #993660
12/17/14 10:53 AM
12/17/14 10:53 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

welcome Mr. Underhill.

Thanks for the info. You can contact our PR Liaison - browneyetigre (see link at bottom of page) for further info. luck

Re: The Clicker In Darkness - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #993663
12/17/14 11:01 AM
12/17/14 11:01 AM
Mr_Underhill Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Mr_Underhill  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

I definitely will, thanks for the headsup!

Re: The Clicker In Darkness - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #993680
12/17/14 12:32 PM
12/17/14 12:32 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
welcome to GameBoomers Mr_Underhill! Looks like fun!

Ana happydance12

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: The Clicker In Darkness - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #993682
12/17/14 12:39 PM
12/17/14 12:39 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
welcome to GameBoomers, and thanks for the info about your game.

Re: The Clicker In Darkness - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #993694
12/17/14 01:15 PM
12/17/14 01:15 PM
Mr_Underhill Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Mr_Underhill  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Thanks everyone, good to feel welcomed (or is it welcome? huh).

I'll be updating this thread with new stuff whenever we churn out some, so keep an eye out.

Re: The Clicker In Darkness - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #997449
01/12/15 04:49 AM
01/12/15 04:49 AM
Mr_Underhill Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Mr_Underhill  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Hey guys, happy 2015!

I'm back with two little updates on our development. First of all, the project's name has been changed to Gibbous. HPL fans will appreciate it, the others will probably shrug it off and move on with their lives :] Chances are it's the final game title, buuut you neeeever know.

Also wanted to share another gif with you - this one illustrates the unique animations that the characters will be doing throughout the game: Kitteh's fetching something for you, so that means you've successfully battled your way through a dialogue puzzle... or that you're now forever in debt to an antisocial feline with a short temper and a very good memory.

Animation

(Actual fetched item not pictured for non-spoilery purposes).

So that's about that, feel free to let me know what you guys thinks! Cheers.

Last edited by MaG; 01/12/15 09:11 AM. Reason: change image to link - large size
Re: The Clicker In Darkness - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #997451
01/12/15 05:17 AM
01/12/15 05:17 AM
Kiev, Ukraine
Iurii Offline
Addicted Boomer
Iurii  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Kiev, Ukraine
Mr_Underhill, your game looks very nice and interesting!
Although I wonder how are you going to unite that pretty and cartoonish Lucasartsian look with Lovecraftian themes (which are usually gloomy and scary) smile

Do you have a site of the game yet with more info and screens?

Re: The Clicker In Darkness - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #997457
01/12/15 06:06 AM
01/12/15 06:06 AM
Mr_Underhill Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Mr_Underhill  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Hey Iuri. Well, that's kinda the point of the game - it isn't really a horror game, it's more of a spoof, so that's where the cartoony graphics come into play. That's not to say we won't treat the Lovecraft stuff with utmost respect. I'm a big fan of, for example, film directors taking source material and really making it their own - imagine a Lovecraft movie made by Mel Brooks laugh (Not that I'm comparing myself to Mel Brooks). If you think about Maniac Mansion, for example, and you take away the comedic parts, it's really a slasher movie, what with teenagers getting bumped off all over the place laugh. So I guess we'll be walking a fine line. Well, anyways, you'll get a better feel of what I'm ranting about late this spring when we release the demo.

The website is being worked on, we couldn't really work on it since we hadn't settled on the game title until a very short while ago. I'll be updating this thread with info soon.

Re: The Clicker In Darkness - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #997807
01/14/15 05:52 AM
01/14/15 05:52 AM
Mr_Underhill Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Mr_Underhill  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

You know what the peons in Warcraft 2 say, work work work! Here's a rough animation gif of a character you'll be meeting in the demo.

Animation gif of character

Quick question, I noticed all previous images have been changed to links, am I in the wrong for putting gifs up directly? If yes, I apologize. It just has more impact to see the image directly.

Last edited by MaG; 01/14/15 08:11 AM. Reason: change image to link - large size
Re: The Clicker In Darkness - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #997815
01/14/15 08:15 AM
01/14/15 08:15 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Thanks for showing us the character.

For the sake of forum and speed load, we tone down the size of pictures on the pages.
Thanks for understanding.

Re: The Clicker In Darkness - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #997845
01/14/15 11:11 AM
01/14/15 11:11 AM
Mr_Underhill Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Mr_Underhill  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Alright, I'll be linking them from now on smile Sorry again

Re: The Clicker In Darkness - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #997859
01/14/15 12:38 PM
01/14/15 12:38 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I like her look Mr_Underhill!

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #998713
01/20/15 05:21 AM
01/20/15 05:21 AM
Mr_Underhill Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Mr_Underhill  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Hi all! Here's a sped up animation process video of an angel that'll be making a short in-game appearance (she pops up whenever you make an - ethically - good decision). Hope you enjoy it!

Re: Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #998751
01/20/15 12:35 PM
01/20/15 12:35 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
It's always amazing to me how much work there is to making a game! Thanks for sharing Mr_Underhill!

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #1001707
02/09/15 01:30 PM
02/09/15 01:30 PM
Mr_Underhill Offline OP
Shy Boomer
Mr_Underhill  Offline OP
Shy Boomer

Hey everyone! I just wanted to share some quick links in case you are interested in our game, Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure.
That way, I can stick to only posting here for major stuff.

So, without further ado:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GibbousGame
Tumblr development blog: http://gibbousgame.tumblr.com/
IndieDB page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/gibbous-a-cthulhu-adventure

Thanks for your interest, and I'll be back to post when major developments arise!

Yours truly,

Underhill

Re: Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure [Re: Mr_Underhill] #1001712
02/09/15 02:01 PM
02/09/15 02:01 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Thanks, Mr_Underhill!

Don't feed the Trolls
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Orion), 169 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users