GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
monitor crashing solved #994708
12/23/14 08:38 PM
12/23/14 08:38 PM
Mt Prospect, Illinois
butterflybabe Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
butterflybabe  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Mt Prospect, Illinois
Hi All,

Not too long ago, I posted about having problems with my monitor going all white, all green or all blue. I had also mentioned having enlisted the costly help of OMG, and you all gave me the 'bad guys' info on them. Lesson learned!

Since then, the pc guru at work, came to my home with his personal pc fix it guy. They started by getting several videos running at the same time; news, utube, etc. Nothing happened right away. After about 15 min, while those videos continued playing, I started playing one of my games to further provoke the problem. While I did that, the guys opened the tower, which is something I had thought needed to be done. Bingo! The tower lacked a fan. When the tabs running the videos were closed, the screen went orange. A color I'd not seen before. Then they looked at the 'temp' info and learned that the tower was overheated big-time. It was at 65 while just looking thru the pc's bios.

It is still possible that the video card will need to be replaced but for the time being, with a fan cooling things off, so far so good.

Everyone else who tried to help me figure out the problem just keep looking for and cleaning out virus. I was so glad when these guys finally, finally looked inside the tower.

puppy

Life's a puzzle; one piece at a time.
Re: monitor crashing solved [Re: butterflybabe] #994821
12/24/14 01:39 PM
12/24/14 01:39 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: butterflybabe
Everyone else who tried to help me figure out the problem just keep looking for and cleaning out virus. I was so glad when these guys finally, finally looked inside the tower.

If you're referring to ***this thread***, people were worried that you'd picked up a virus (or more likely some other malware) by allowing OMG (a disreputable company) access to your computer. Recommendations for virus scans had nothing to do with your problem with your video. We were concerned that OMG might have installed something undesirable on your computer -- something more likely to be spyware or a back door than a virus.

It was pretty clear you had some sort of hardware problem,
so the best we could do was tell you to "have someone look at it" -- something you'd already considered doing.

If we'd told you to open up the case and reseat the video card, check that all the fans were turning -- on the video card, processor, and elsewhere in the case -- would you have been able to do it? Do you know how to ground yourself against the case? Would you be able to check whether heat sinks are choked with dust? Would you have been able to identify your video card? Would you be able to install or replace a part like a fan or video card? Are you actually interested in learning something about the innards of the computer or do you just want it to behave? Sometimes the best answer, and the one least likely to cause inadvertent additional damage to the computer, is just to "have someone look at it."

Re: monitor crashing solved [Re: butterflybabe] #994837
12/24/14 03:30 PM
12/24/14 03:30 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Best advice ever... "have someone look at it." But yes, all the references to malware or viruses had to do with allowing OMG access to your computer, not your obvious hardware problem.

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: monitor crashing solved [Re: butterflybabe] #995124
12/27/14 01:38 AM
12/27/14 01:38 AM
Mt Prospect, Illinois
butterflybabe Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
butterflybabe  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Mt Prospect, Illinois
Jenny, I had no intention of doing anything with the tower myself. If this pc problem hadn't started and gotten steadily worse during a personal crisis, I may have been more clear-headed and gotten proper help sooner. All I wanted was to enjoy my computer when I needed some fun therapy; so I lost my patience, got desperate and did stupid frown12 smashpc

Next time I check in with my favorite techies first urock

Life's a puzzle; one piece at a time.
Re: monitor crashing solved [Re: butterflybabe] #995126
12/27/14 01:53 AM
12/27/14 01:53 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
thumbsup12

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: monitor crashing solved [Re: butterflybabe] #995162
12/27/14 12:53 PM
12/27/14 12:53 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
At least you seem to have gotten the graphics problem solved.
And learning how to recognize scam companies is an important lesson to take away.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, BrownEyedTigre), 227 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users