GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
GOG game? #997776
01/13/15 10:01 PM
01/13/15 10:01 PM
Washington In the Wet corner
Drmojo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Drmojo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I just bought The unwritten tales from GOG and am trying to install it, I downloaded the windows installer and when I start it, it says wrong file and I can't get any futher? what file should it be in? right now its in Karen/downloads Help??

Thanks so much~Doc puppy blackkitty

"Horses are smart"

"You never heard of a Horse going broke"
betting on Humans~ Will Rogers~
Re: GOG game? [Re: Drmojo] #997780
01/13/15 10:22 PM
01/13/15 10:22 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
To install Book of Unwritten Tales manually, you need to download all four installer files into the same folder, then run the .exe file.

Here are the four files and their sizes.

setup_book_of_unwritten_tales_2.0.0.4.exe -- 1.4 MB
setup_book_of_unwritten_tales_2.0.0.4-1.bin -- 1.5 GB
setup_book_of_unwritten_tales_2.0.0.4-2.bin -- 1.5 GB
setup_book_of_unwritten_tales_2.0.0.4-3.bin -- 806.8 MB

The files are listed at GOG as "Windows Installer" part 1 of 4, part 2 of 4, etc. But once you download them they have the names I listed above.

If you've only downloaded the .exe file, you have a LOT more downloading to do before you get enough to install the game. The .exe needs the other three files in order to install. If you run the .exe and the files aren't in the same folder, you get weird error messages.

It doesn't matter where you put the four files. Your downloads folder is fine. But the files all have to be together. The game will put its game folder inside C:\GOG Games\ by default.

Re: GOG game? [Re: Jenny100] #997789
01/14/15 12:22 AM
01/14/15 12:22 AM
Drmojo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Drmojo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Thank you Jenny~

I installed The Whisper world and when I start the game these flags come up theirs 2 of them their half American half something else? theirs arrows at the sides of them and a green check mark at the bottom, when I click on them nothing happens and I can't get the game started? what am I doing wrong??

Thank you for the help~Doc puppy blackkitty

"Horses are smart"

Re: GOG game? [Re: Drmojo] #997848
01/14/15 11:14 AM
01/14/15 11:14 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
When you first start The Whispered World, the game asks you what language you want for voice and text, and you choose according to the flag of the country.

The half American half British flag is for the English language.

The option for playing the game in the original German language with English text was added to the special edition because of complaints about the English voice acting. The German voice acting was far superior in most cases -- especially for the main character. The German voice for Sadwick sounded like he could be a young boy Sadwick's age. The English voice sounded like a 40-year-old man trying to imitate one in falsetto.

The German flag looks like ***this***

The British flag looks like ***this***

Re: GOG game? [Re: Jenny100] #997875
01/14/15 03:33 PM
01/14/15 03:33 PM
Drmojo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Drmojo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

I'm seeing 2 of the half American flags and half British, when I click on the side arrows to change flags it does nothing, I have tried clicking all over this screen and it does nothing, if I click my scroll button the Inventory bag comes up but otherwise it does nothing, the game won't let me choose a flag or start the game, should I reinstall it?

is their anywhere I can get step by step instructions on installing The unwritten tales? I am sooo dumb on this game installing computer windows stuff, I don't understand how to do what you told me to do? blush

Thanks so much for all your help Jenny~

Doc

Last edited by Drmojo; 01/14/15 03:40 PM.

"Horses are smart"

Re: GOG game? [Re: Drmojo] #997892
01/14/15 05:48 PM
01/14/15 05:48 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Sorry for the delay. I needed to install the game to see exactly how the flags worked again.

The side arrows are supposed to change the flags.
I can't tell you why yours never change, however on my computer the flags take a second to change after I click the arrow. Your cursor should light up if you have it over an active spot (like one of the arrows or the green flag).

The top flag is for speech, the bottom one is for text.

If you are OK with English for both speech and text, click the green arrow at the bottom of the page. That should save the information.

The game "should" start after that, and will never ask again what languages you want.

Are you able to click the green arrow?
Does your cursor light up when you mouse over the arrow?

If you're not able to click the green arrow...

I'm unsure how the option is stored. It's not in the game's config.ini file, which is a readable text file. I noticed there is a profile.dat file in
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Daedalic Entertainment GmbH\The Whispered World Special Edition\Savegames\profile.dat
and that may hold the language preferences. But it is not "human readable" and may hold other computer-specific information -- so if I sent you my profile.dat, it might not work. It would be better if you created your own.

I guess the best thing to do is to try running the game as Administrator (right-click, then choose "Run As Administrator" from the context menu). Then see if you're able to click the green arrow.

Also, if you're running an anal, game-unfriendly antivirus, you might want to either turn it off while you create your game profile or add the game exe to the antivirus's exclusions list (if it has one).

Re: GOG game? [Re: Jenny100] #997916
01/14/15 10:32 PM
01/14/15 10:32 PM
Drmojo Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Drmojo  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Got both games installed and their up & running THANK YOU so much for all your help Jenny woot dance

Doc puppy kitty

"Horses are smart"

Re: GOG game? [Re: Drmojo] #998127
01/16/15 09:35 AM
01/16/15 09:35 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Hope you have no further problems.
Enjoy your games.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (curly, hagatha), 574 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users