Welcome to GameBoomers, codeman!
You can look down on the steps or click at the bottom of the steps and look up to check the symbols written on the edge of each steps. You can click back up to get back on top without stepping on any of the ramp.
I found that the easiest thing to do was to look straight down. The step that you're on is the first one where you can't see any sort of symbol on the edge. You can then count forward from there. Or once you get near the end, you can count backwards from the 10th step.Also, make sure to click on the front edge of the step, or else you may land one off from where you think you should be.Once you've entered the correct pattern, you should hear a click to indicate the arch is no longer trapped. If you don't, go back and try again. Also, you can always count from the top step for each next number to step on.
Step by step:
1. Stand on the top step.
2. Look down, count the step you are on as #1, then count to step #3 and click on it. That means - you moved from #1 to #3 immediately.
3. Now that you are on step #3, look down - count your step as #3, then count down to step #6 - click on #6. So you moved from #3 to #6.
4. Now that you are in #6, click on next step #7.
5. Once you are on step #7 - count from the bottom which is #10 and then click the step above that which is #9. That means you moved from #7 to #9.
6. You are now in #9 - click the next lower and the bottom one #10.
7. You should hear a sound if you did it succesfully.
<img border="0" alt="[talky]" title="" src="graemlins/talky.gif" /> MaG