GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A #871288
03/01/13 11:37 AM
03/01/13 11:37 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Online content OP
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Online Content OP
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
You can check out the IndieGoGo campaign for the enhanced version here.

Check out flotsam's review of J.U.L.I.A. here.

For more details check out the official website here.

Quote:
Brno, Czech Republic – March 1, 2013 – CBE software announces start of a crowdfunding campaign targeted at creation of an enhanced edition of J.U.L.I.A., narrative driven, interface based PC videogame released in 2012.

Jan Kavan, CBE software director, explains why yet another crowdfunding appears on the game industry map: “When we've released J.U.L.I.A. back in 2012, the response especially from the adventure gaming community was amazing. Even if we knew that this is a new video game format, we've been well accepted and especially the story, music and game flow was generally praised.

The game was also just recently nominated for the best gameplay and the best character (Mobot) by Adventure Gamers - the largest international website specialized on adventure games. This came to us as a big surprise because we've been working on the game for more than 3 years in only two persons. The fact that we've invested only our time and my personal budget however negatively influenced some of the game aspects.

Originally we planned to use the sales budget for the enhanced edition but what we were able to obtain from our former publisher covered merely the legal expenses to reclaim back J.U.L.I.A. rights.”

Regardless of CBE software further fate, CBE software wants to iron some of the rough edges through the community based events tied to this IndieGoGo campaign:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/j-u-l-i-a-enhanced-edition

“J.U.L.I.A. is for me an extremely personal game and regardless of what happens next, I want to have the game really polished. I also perceive the crowdfunding process as something more than just getting some cash. We want the community to actively participate through polls, voting and feedback. We’ve set us very modest and realistic goal for this campaign as we want to eliminate the worst problems stemming from our former zero budget situation. That’s why it’s now too early to speak about other exciting possibilities this campaign could open for J.U.L.I.A. One of our primary goals is to let Rachel Manners climb out from the uncanny valley, where she’s now settled in.” explained Jan Kavan.

Among the goals for the enhanced version are:

• Recreating Rachel Manners from scratch
• Redesigning some of the game interface
• Introducing easy mode for problematic puzzles.
• Making some of the game parts optional (eg. material harvesting)
• Polishing some of the puzzles responsiveness and descriptions
• Extending some of the looping music tracks.
• Refine a few parts of the script when the game gets ridiculous / over the top.

The campaign is set for a fixed amount of $5000. It will end up on Friday 12th April 2013 at 11:59 PT. If CBE software doesn’t reach the target by that time, the money will return to contributors automatically. CBE software believes that this is more fair approach concerning the associated risks of the contributors.

About J.U.L.I.A.

J.U.L.I.A. is an innovative, narrative driven PC game. The story centers on Rachel Manners, a 35 year old astrobiologist. She is a member of an elite group of scientists, chosen to embark on one of the most critical missions ever conceived on Earth. Now Rachel is alone, orbiting an unknown planet. Her only companions are J.U.L.I.A., the space probe’s artificial intelligence and Mobot, a huge reconnaissance robot. Together, this unlikely trio will explore the mysteries of the solar system of Salia. But are they prepared for what they will find?

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871290
03/01/13 11:48 AM
03/01/13 11:48 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Thanks, Ana.

luck Jan!

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: MaG] #871291
03/01/13 11:56 AM
03/01/13 11:56 AM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
Thanks, Ana. thumbsup

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871388
03/02/13 04:54 AM
03/02/13 04:54 AM
London, UK
rmt Offline
Settled Boomer
rmt  Offline
Settled Boomer

London, UK
I think an enhanced edition of this game is worth contributing. We could tell that with more time and investment J.U.L.I.A. would have been much better, providing a more immersive universe. I really wanted to explore the planets a bit more and get larger images and more details. The graphics were astounding, I used them as desktop background images on my PC for months.

I just pledged $7, I want to contribute to the campaign.

At the moment these pledges promise a special price on the game. I clarified to find out if the game is included with the $7 pledge or if it means a discounted price on the game. Jan confirmed the full enhanced edition of the game is included in the pledge.

Jan Kavan said:

"Hi! Roland To answer: $7 includes the early backers game ($9 is non-early backers). I plan to release the game for non-backers somewhere in $10 - $12 price range. It depends on the amount of pledges though because if we get over the basic goal, the target game will be sold more expensive, thus making the backers' pledges even more attractive! $25 is game, soundtrack and PDF hintbook. Thanks! Jan"

Last edited by rmt; 03/02/13 11:02 AM.
Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871422
03/02/13 10:45 AM
03/02/13 10:45 AM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

Thank you Roland! I was just too slow to answer. smile

The community support to J.U.L.I.A. is fantastic, I would never believe it myself. And there are more great things to come and be announced. If you have any other questions, put them in this thread and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

I'll be also doing Ask Me Anything during the campaign so I'll let you know!

Thank you again! If we keep this momentum we will be able to really enhance J.U.L.I.A. to be well worth the replay! Stories were left out from the original version and they may be retold.

Developing: ...

www.cbe-software.com

Created J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Serena, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet
Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871429
03/02/13 11:04 AM
03/02/13 11:04 AM
Greece
Haroula Offline
Adept Boomer
Haroula  Offline
Adept Boomer

Greece
Thanks, Ana wave

I change all my passwords to "incorrect". So whenever I forget, it says, "your password is incorrect".

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871450
03/02/13 12:32 PM
03/02/13 12:32 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Jan, I was very excited to see the momentum is still continuing today! yay

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871462
03/02/13 01:22 PM
03/02/13 01:22 PM
London, UK
rmt Offline
Settled Boomer
rmt  Offline
Settled Boomer

London, UK
Nearly $2000 after... did it start a day ago? With 42 days left I think the goal will easily be reached, could easily be doubled maybe? With such a reasonable goal instead of the $850,000 we have seen lately, I sincerely hope you will get double your goal and have a few more months to make a worthy enhancement. I think I will play the game again today, it has been on my mind for some time to do so.

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871480
03/02/13 02:45 PM
03/02/13 02:45 PM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

Thank you for your kind words! Rest assured that what I have in my mind would bring an entirely new dimension to the story and the original J.U.L.I.A. players would feel as if they played just one half of the game. smile

Also from GameBoomers' "secret member" <3 arose an act of an extreme and unexpected generosity.

We've always had an amazing support here but this made us feel really humbled. praise praise praise

And it triggered an idea of mine. wink (super secretive me)

www.cbe-software.com

Created J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Serena, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A., J.U.L.I.A. Untold, Ghost in the Sheet
Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871493
03/02/13 03:23 PM
03/02/13 03:23 PM
London, UK
rmt Offline
Settled Boomer
rmt  Offline
Settled Boomer

London, UK
I think the most impressive feat of J.U.L.I.A. (stop me if it turns out I am wrong), is that I think the engine used was limited, but with your cleverness you showed how even with a limited software it was still possible to create a worthy, beautiful and imaginative adventure. Just to show that ultimately we are always only limited by our creativity, abilities and determination.

I believe it proves that we can expect great adventures from independent developers in the future, especially I imagine as technology becomes better and more affordable. It gives me hope that such quality can be achieved without a huge amount of money.

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871503
03/02/13 04:56 PM
03/02/13 04:56 PM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

- warning, technical mumbling follows -

My credo is to switch technology only after I master entirely the one I use. With J.U.L.I.A. I kept bouncing limits of the engine all the way since I forced it to do things it was never meant to do. smile

Still it's one of the best engines for point'n'click adventures and I've spent many happy years with it. It's a common knowledge that it was created by 1 person (Jan Nedoma), who is one of the best programmers you can meet. The engine is an extremely polished and clean work so I'll always have fond memories.

We've switched for our later games to Unity 3D, but J.U.L.I.A. EE will remain in WME unless we would get really overfunded. Then we'd port the whole game to Unity 3D and allow the game to be played on Mac or Linux and do other unspeakable things to it. smile

- technical mumbling ends -

www.cbe-software.com

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871505
03/02/13 05:07 PM
03/02/13 05:07 PM
London, UK
rmt Offline
Settled Boomer
rmt  Offline
Settled Boomer

London, UK
Jan, what sort of stretched goal would you require to reach before you decide to make the leap to the Unity 3D engine?

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871509
03/02/13 05:21 PM
03/02/13 05:21 PM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

It would be very bold to talk about the faraway stretch goals just now. I am extremely blown away by the support we are already getting! Asking for more would be very arrogant from me although when it happens, we are ready to return it back into the game entirely.

Over $2000 in 2 days? I wouldn't expect it in my life. Very soon we're going to get more than we've ever punched out from Lace Mamba's exclusive worldwide deal after 1 year of their ongoing theft. And no, we still don't have a valid report. smile

My major focus is on the community and right now I believe that you, players, will be more interested in longer story, more intriguing exploration, learning more about the former Salia solar system conflicts, more hair pulling puzzles etc. than to have "a different engine".

www.cbe-software.com

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871515
03/02/13 06:10 PM
03/02/13 06:10 PM
London, UK
rmt Offline
Settled Boomer
rmt  Offline
Settled Boomer

London, UK
Maybe in three more days, once we have reached the goal, you can tell us more! wink

As a player though, my feeling is that the new engine is the most worthy stretched goal. But perhaps you are right and this will not be others priority. Or maybe you would require so much more over the actual goal before considering switching engine. I understand, it would mean practically re-starting the game from scratch, and it would take more resources and time. But I am certainly willing to wait, I don't know how the others feel though about this.

I just posted this comment on the Dreamfall Chapters' page on Kickstarter, I hope it makes a difference and that I won't get into trouble:

Please also help very small and struggling developers like CBE Software on their campaign on Indiegogo for the enhanced version of the adventure game J.U.L.I.A.:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/j-u-l-i-a-enhanced-edition/x/2569506?c=home

Their goal is only $5000 and for a $7 pledge you can get the enhanced game. Truly worth it for such a beautifully made sci-fi story. They are also one of the wronged companies we heard about recently concerning their publisher/distributor, and as a result they made no money the first time around. Very talented little team from the Czech Republic. Pease help them, the adventure is really worth playing.

Last edited by rmt; 03/02/13 07:19 PM.
Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871535
03/02/13 08:49 PM
03/02/13 08:49 PM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

Thank you! I really appreciate that. smile Having such an amazing community behind me feels like a real dream! bravo

www.cbe-software.com

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871734
03/03/13 06:45 PM
03/03/13 06:45 PM
S
smulan Offline
Settled Boomer
smulan  Offline
Settled Boomer
S

Seven dollars for this interesting game, it was an easy decision.

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871771
03/03/13 11:08 PM
03/03/13 11:08 PM
Sweden
Mikael Offline
Addicted Boomer
Mikael  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Sweden
I think you've misunderstood this, Jan. People think that the original J.U.L.I.A. was so bad that it desperately needs a makeover. lol

Seriously, congrats on the interest. You and the game deserve better than the Lame Samba performance.

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871778
03/04/13 12:06 AM
03/04/13 12:06 AM
MaG Offline
Sonic Boomer
MaG  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Hahahahah. Bad Mikael! wink

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871782
03/04/13 02:37 AM
03/04/13 02:37 AM
London, UK
rmt Offline
Settled Boomer
rmt  Offline
Settled Boomer

London, UK
I never meant to say that, quite the contrary. It is an adventure worth playing again and again, so why not have it much better? It is one notch away from being a great adventure game. How many indie games have we seen lately of that kind of quality? Indie games was almost all there was in these last few years...

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871844
03/04/13 12:02 PM
03/04/13 12:02 PM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

I love the concept. We should focus on making absolutely horrible games and then make a Kickstarter project where we promise (with enough pledges of course) that we'll stop making games altogether. laugh Sometimes reading some of the teen comments at the mainstream forums tells me that this would be the most successful project ever kickstarted. smile

www.cbe-software.com

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871848
03/04/13 12:24 PM
03/04/13 12:24 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
rotfl

Ana grin

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: metamorphium] #871852
03/04/13 12:34 PM
03/04/13 12:34 PM
GreyFuss Offline
Addicted Boomer
GreyFuss  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Originally Posted By: metamorphium
I love the concept. We should focus on making absolutely horrible games and then make a Kickstarter project where we promise (with enough pledges of course) that we'll stop making games altogether. laugh Sometimes reading some of the teen comments at the mainstream forums tells me that this would be the most successful project ever kickstarted. smile

"Don't Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful...There Are Many Other Reasons!"
Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871873
03/04/13 02:51 PM
03/04/13 02:51 PM
London, UK
rmt Offline
Settled Boomer
rmt  Offline
Settled Boomer

London, UK

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871923
03/04/13 09:15 PM
03/04/13 09:15 PM
metamorphium Offline
Settled Boomer
metamorphium  Offline
Settled Boomer

It's unbelievable. We're at 70% of the basic goal already and with $3500 this feels like a dream.

Thank you everyone for supporting us.

www.cbe-software.com

Re: CBE Software to Create an Enhanced Version of J.U.L.I.A [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #871936
03/04/13 10:47 PM
03/04/13 10:47 PM
In the Naughty Corner
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Very exciting! I am so happy for you!

Don't feed the Trolls
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (BrownEyedTigre, Draclvr, manxman), 279 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users