GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Aventure Game Location #944291
03/11/14 11:34 AM
03/11/14 11:34 AM
C
Cari Offline OP
Settled Boomer
Cari  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
C

The Barrow Hill and The Lost Crown games do seem to be popular with Gameboomers members. Set in real locations that lends a touch of reality to the storyline got me thinking about where I finished the last two months of my army service.
The camp itself was for new recruits, what I think Americans call a Boot Camp, I and three others, returning from overseas were certainly not welcome, new recruits and old soldiers should never be mixed.

So we were housed in an old building outside the camps parameters on the edge of an old disused Second World War airfield, one of many scattered across the Suffolk countryside. It had the basic facilities, of water and electricity and little else. The old airfield buildings, a couple of hangers and admin block, were on the far side of the airfield three quarters of a mile away, the control tower stood by itself further to the north.

Which brings me to the purpose of this post because these old deserted airfields are a perfect background for an adventure game; let me explain. The graphics are all in place, the accounts of paranormal experiences on these old airfields are so many.
One such account concerns two police officers in 1998 who pulled over at 3am beside an old deserted airfield for their break. It was open countryside and farmland, no habitation for miles.
One officer turned to his mate and said
“Is the radio on, I can hear music
“No the radio is off, hold on I can hear it too?”
They got out of the police car and crossed the road.
“Its coming from those old building’s said the younger one “We better take a look”
“No, I recognise the song now, its Glen Millers Moonlight Serenade”, said the other “Get back in the car”
They never reported the incident until after they had retired.

The flat farm lands of the counties in East Anglia were commandeered in1940 for the building of airfields for the bombing of occupied Europe by Bombing Command (British) and later in 1943 by the American 8th Air Force. The loss of life for both British and Americans was horrendous. The British tour of duty was 30 missions which there was a 1in 6 chance of completing. The American loses were so bad that operations had to be suspended until the development of long range fighter cover was made available.

In a little village church in the county of Suffolk there is a small corner in remembrance for an American crew killed in trying to land their crippled B17. It has their photographs together with the American flag and always a vase of fresh flowers. A small tribute and not made by any official organization but by the village people themselves. Touching don't you think?

Re: Aventure Game Location [Re: Cari] #944298
03/11/14 11:54 AM
03/11/14 11:54 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Online content
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Online Content
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
That sounds like the perfect background for an adventure game.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: Aventure Game Location [Re: Cari] #944550
03/13/14 05:15 AM
03/13/14 05:15 AM
Marlborough USA
Kaki's Sister Offline
Sonic Boomer
Kaki's Sister  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Marlborough USA
It does sound like a perfect setting for a game story. How nice the village paid tribute to the fallen soldiers.

Gerry
Re: Aventure Game Location [Re: Kaki's Sister] #944648
03/13/14 03:13 PM
03/13/14 03:13 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
There are infinite ancient locations in Europe (and especially in the UK) where spooky Adventures certainly could be based - and in the US I would think the mystique of Native American sites could be also be used very effectively ??

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Aventure Game Location [Re: Cari] #944762
03/14/14 08:29 AM
03/14/14 08:29 AM
ipad_Lover Offline
Settled Boomer
ipad_Lover  Offline
Settled Boomer

This is true, "Barrow Hill" was wonderful, and the fact that it had a wonderfully creepy location made it all the more fun.

This description of a location would be perfect for a creepy adventure game also.

I love playing adventure games like Gemini Rue on my ipad mini and Gray Matter on my PC Netbook.

Re: Aventure Game Location [Re: Cari] #944812
03/14/14 03:12 PM
03/14/14 03:12 PM
Plymouth, Devon,UK
G
gruffy Offline
Settled Boomer
gruffy  Offline
Settled Boomer
G

Plymouth, Devon,UK
Good post Cari! Theres soooo many bases in the UK that would make good game locations. I live in Plymouth and there are many places that are really scary and isolated when theres fog or nightime. RAF Mount Battern is an old flying boat base opposite where the pilgrim fathers left for the USA with plenty of scary buildings and a tudor fort in the middle!

If you want trouble, get yourself a redhead!
Re: Aventure Game Location [Re: Cari] #946550
03/25/14 03:45 PM
03/25/14 03:45 PM
Plymouth, Devon,UK
G
gruffy Offline
Settled Boomer
gruffy  Offline
Settled Boomer
G

Plymouth, Devon,UK
Are you from Suffolk Cari?

If you want trouble, get yourself a redhead!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (BrownEyedTigre, dianne, Urban Worrier), 351 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users