The Darksiders 3 release was one I missed altogether, due to my reliance on E3 game announcements. Unfortunately, THQ Nordic chose not to attend E3 last year so....

As an alternate, I dropped the bucks on the new release and decided to give my first impressions of the game.

Here is the original trailer to familiarize you with the game: Darksiders III - Release Trailer

For those that aren't familiar with the series, here's a little context: It's loosely based on the biblical apocalypse and the Four Horsemen of Revelations. In Darksiders I you're introduced to the Horseman "War", who responding to the Seventh Seal being opened, comes down to earth to play his part. He finds that, allegedly, the seal was not broken. As such, he's accused of betraying a pact between angels and demons. In Darksiders II, you are introduced to the Horseman "Death", who attempts to undo the events of Darksiders I and search for the answer to War's alleged betrayal.

To qualify my input, I need to let you know that I have not yet played Darksiders II. As such, any comparisons I make will be to the first game or through input I've read about the second from sources I deem as reliable.

Darksiders III, introduced the Horseman(Person) "Fury", and she's a badass. lol Unleash the Hollows

The demons known as The Seven (for seven deadly sins) have arrived on earth to cause even more pain and suffering and Fury is sent to eliminate them.

If you've played either of the first two games, you'll see and feel the similarities in the general gameplay, music and always wonderful character graphics.

If like me you enjoy a more detailed character development tree as was found in the first game, you won't see that here. Fury's development is mostly based on artifacts and point/soul accumulations (gathered by offing foes/attackers). You are awarded additional powers/abilities through a somewhat rudimentary purchase system (read as simplified development tree) and weapon upgrades done by leveraging specific loot items. Her attacks are pretty straight forward, but require a good deal of "right time, right place" planning along with some multi-tasking in a manner somewhat reminiscent of a battle-mage using both melee and magic especially in boss battles. It's a heavy and frenetic hack and slash that can strain the eyes at times due to the battle's camera perspective, which can be a little hard to control.

Even with some shortcomings, (which are mostly personal preference) it's a solid hack and slash release. I haven't yet had any issues running on either my Win 7 or Win 10 PC's (with the appropriate patches.) Most of the issues that I've heard about were mostly related to PC's not being up to par with the games hardware requirements. My machines are home-built and quite strong (both i7's with high-mid range vid cards and loads of memory) - the game is very graphically demanding.

The Production Company/Dev house has been through some major financial issues during the past several years, and I wasn't even sure if this was going to get released. Considering what they've gone through, I think they did a pretty good job from what I've played so far. I sincerely hope things stabilize for them, because I'd really like to see the series brought to it's finale.

Here's one of the other marketing vids that I though was fun: Horse with No Name

I do miss the voice talent of Mark Hamill though, he did such a great job in the first game: Darksiders: The Watcher Profile with Mark Hamill

Minimum PC System Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8320 3.5 GHz
RAM: 8 GB System Memory
VRAM: 2 GB Video Memory
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon R7 370
DirectX: DX 11
HDD: 25 GB available space

Recommended PC System Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz
RAM: 16 GB System Memory
VRAM: 4 GB Video Memory
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 480
DirectX: DX 11
HDD: 25 GB available space

TM thumbsup

Last edited by Trail_Mystic; 01/06/19 02:25 AM. Reason: Updated system requirements and some additional editing

I feel a lot more like I do now, then when I first got here