GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
How many adventure games work with WINDOWS 8? #844990
10/26/12 04:28 PM
10/26/12 04:28 PM
nyc
R
robedits Offline OP
Settled Boomer
robedits  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

nyc
Finally buying a new PC due to an awards gift from work. Unfortunately,I canNOT purchase my favorite a new PC (from Dell,a company I've trusted for years)...desktop OR laptop...without the dreaded WIN 8. Heck,my PC still has WIN XP (even though I've been using Win7 at work).
Why would they not even make PCs with Win 7 anymore?
Are there actually non-shooter games (that is;most adventure games) coming out that will run on WIn 8?
And what about the GOG games I've come to love?
Apparently,they're NOT making ANy more PCs with Win 7 or below. How did this come about so quickly?
Rob

Re: How many adventure games work with WINDOWS 8? [Re: robedits] #844995
10/26/12 04:37 PM
10/26/12 04:37 PM
United States
tamberine Offline
Shy Boomer
tamberine  Offline
Shy Boomer

United States
I know all the Nancy drew and Sherlock Holmes games do
Good question:)

-Tamberine, Mod

**It's Locked**
Re: How many adventure games work with WINDOWS 8? [Re: robedits] #845002
10/26/12 04:48 PM
10/26/12 04:48 PM
nyc
R
robedits Offline OP
Settled Boomer
robedits  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

nyc
I have SO many 5-6 yr old games on my current 6-yr old Dell that I won't be able to x-fer over to the new PC. I really only play adventure games now (although in the past a little FPS action didnt bother me).
Got no choice,though. I'm not going to roll back a new OS with a new PC;too much trouble.

Re: How many adventure games work with WINDOWS 8? [Re: robedits] #845004
10/26/12 04:51 PM
10/26/12 04:51 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Robedits,
If you get the Pro version of Windows 8, you have "downgrade rights" to go to Windows 7.
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx

Quote:
Downgrade rights offer a practical solution. The customer can:
  • Purchase a PC with Windows 8 Pro preinstalled.
  • Downgrade—at no additional cost—to Windows 7 Professional.
  • Move to Windows 8 Pro at the appropriate time. The system is licensed and ready for conversion.

Re: How many adventure games work with WINDOWS 8? [Re: robedits] #845012
10/26/12 05:16 PM
10/26/12 05:16 PM
nyc
R
robedits Offline OP
Settled Boomer
robedits  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

nyc
Thanks Jenny. I sent this link to my wife;she's the PC "expert" (ironically;I'm the one who plays the games but she's the computer genius).

Re: How many adventure games work with WINDOWS 8? [Re: robedits] #845078
10/27/12 01:07 AM
10/27/12 01:07 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Online Content
Graduate Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
These are not all adventure games, but so far I've played Dracula The Last Sanctuary from 2002, Vampire Bloodlines from 2002, Morrowind from 2003, Dark Fall Lights Out from 2004, The Hobbit from 2004 and all my Big Fish games with the exception of Dying for Daylight. My dates may not be exactly correct, but they are close if they aren't. I'm expecting games on Windows 8 to be pretty much like games on Windows 7 - which was pretty darned good.

I'll be checking out more of them as time permits, but so far I'm impressed.

Have you thought of trying a different company than Dell? Microsoft is allowing Windows 7 to be sold alongside Window 8 for some time yet. Just because Dell isn't doing it doesn't mean some other company might offer both operating systems.

Have you thought of having one custom built for you where you can choose which operating system you want to have installed?

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: How many adventure games work with WINDOWS 8? [Re: robedits] #845142
10/27/12 09:45 AM
10/27/12 09:45 AM
nyc
R
robedits Offline OP
Settled Boomer
robedits  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
R

nyc
Draclvr...for 30 years of service to my television network,I was given a pretty decent all-in-one gift certificate, which unfortunately stipulates (if there can be an "unfortunately" tied to an generous gift)that, although I was given a choice of a couple of dozen places where I can choose to partition my spending...I must do it all at once, and within a certain time period. The only company on the gift list that has anything to do with computers was Dell. And...I need a new PC,so I figured it was about time.
In my 22 years of using PCs at home, I've always used a Dell with three exceptions: Micron,which served me well back in the day; Alienware,which was an unmitigated disaster; and the worst disaster of all: about ten years ago,I paid someone to custom-build a rig. TOTAL disaster. Too many reasons.
My other three PCs have all been Dells. I'll always use them. And,since the gift certificate said Dell was a place to choose from,I figured:why not?

Last edited by robedits; 10/27/12 09:46 AM.
Re: How many adventure games work with WINDOWS 8? [Re: robedits] #845171
10/27/12 11:22 AM
10/27/12 11:22 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
Graduate Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Good reason to buy from Dell then! Why not ask Dell if you can get a computer with Windows 7 on it? All they can say is no. If they won't, you can always make sure you get Windows 8 Pro and then use your downgrade rights. Another option is to purchase a full copy of Windows 7 and then you will always be able to install it should you ever need a new computer again. As I understand it, Microsoft will support Windows 7 until 2020.

I'm playing old games on Windows 8 just as easily as I did on Windows 7, so as far as gaming goes, I wouldn't be concerned about that. However, there is a learning curve to Windows 8 that just may not be what you want to do.

Re: How many adventure games work with WINDOWS 8? [Re: robedits] #845188
10/27/12 11:55 AM
10/27/12 11:55 AM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
I was just ion my local radio and television store today. Most of the computers being displayed there still has Windows 7 on them. (the 64 bit version, I think?)

Two or maybe four ? new computers were shown with Windows 8. I tried one of them; both were laptops. And they had the Windows 8 Interface with the tiles. And I have to say: I quite like it smile

I tried clicking on the tiles to se what happened, and it was really easy and intuitive to use smile However, I couldn't get back to the tile menu? again.

I'm not that afraid now to get a pc with Windows 8, however I'll still be worried about playing older games on WIndows 8 computer.

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Re: How many adventure games work with WINDOWS 8? [Re: robedits] #845225
10/27/12 03:22 PM
10/27/12 03:22 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
Graduate Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
So far, I'm have great luck with older games, Karsten. After this weekend, I'll have more time to spend working on it.

Using keyboard and mouse, you "grab" the tile or app window at the top of the screen and pull it down to close and return to the tile or start menu. To get to the regular Windows 7 desktop, either click on the desktop tile or hover your mouse in the extreme lower left corner of the screen. The desktop will show as a tiny tile - click on it and your are in the familiar desktop environment. Do the same thing - or tap the Windows key - and you can go back to the start tiles.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Draclvr), 197 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users