GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Beyond Atlantis 2 crashing on Win XP #904318
07/28/13 06:30 PM
07/28/13 06:30 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
Hi, fellow Boom3ers
I have been trying to play this game on my Win XP pc, but it crashes. I DID read an old GB post on this subject which mentioned a patch. I downloaded that patch and applied it, but the same thing happens. I have the boxed Dreamcatcher version, and I remember playing it successfully on my old WIN 98 computer.. I tried the compatability on this pc, but the same crash occurs. I even purchased this game "Atlantis 3" from GOG, but had the same crash problem. Gog Support could not get it to work for me, either.
If anybody has some ideas for me concerning this problem, I sure would appreciate some help.
Sandy

Re: Beyond Atlantis 2 crashing on Win XP [Re: sanford] #904324
07/28/13 06:58 PM
07/28/13 06:58 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
The Beyond Atlantis 2 patch is different from the Atlantis 3 patch because the games installed into folders with different names. The Beyond Atlantis 2 patch is small enough that it was saved on the Web Archive of Dreamcatcher's site ***here***

The GOG version should be patched. Did you uninstall the Beyond Atlantis 2 version before installing the Atlantis 3 game from GOG?

According to ***Steve Ramsey's review of Atlantis 3 / Beyond Atlantis 2***,
Quote:
There was a patch available from Cryo, which the information says improves compatability with NVIDIA GeForce 2 and 3 video cards, and solves a freeze problem on faster (> 800Mhz) machines.

The patch is meant to fix the crash that happens when you speak to the guard early in the game. Is that where you're having trouble?

An old forum post suggested starting the game using Player 5 after installing the patch. Apparently it helped someone get past the crash-prone spot, though I don't know why.

Re: Beyond Atlantis 2 crashing on Win XP [Re: sanford] #904339
07/28/13 09:15 PM
07/28/13 09:15 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
Yes, Jenny, that is where the game crashes.
Thanks for the link to the correct patch. I'll try it and see what happens. I will also try starting the game using "player 5". As a matter of fact, I'll try ANYTHING to try to play this game LOL
I'll let you know what happens. Thanks so much.
Sandy

Re: Beyond Atlantis 2 crashing on Win XP [Re: sanford] #904350
07/28/13 11:34 PM
07/28/13 11:34 PM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
OK, Jenny
I have the game installed on a WIN XP pc AND a VISTA pc
Your instructions "cured" the game on the vVISTA pc, but on the WIN XP machine, after making the changes, I grt an error message right after the Dreamcatcher LOGO. That was happening also each time I tried to play the game before I made the changes, including in the GOG version.
At least now I CAN play it on my Vista pc.
Thank you again for your help. I'm hoping someone else who has WIN XP might have a few ideas concerning this problem.
Sandy

I have a NVIDIA video card on the WIN XP pc. That COULD be the problem.

Last edited by sanford; 07/29/13 01:01 AM. Reason: added text
Re: Beyond Atlantis 2 crashing on Win XP [Re: sanford] #904501
07/29/13 04:36 PM
07/29/13 04:36 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: sanford
I have a NVIDIA video card on the WIN XP pc. That COULD be the problem.

Maybe, since the patch was for Nvidia 2 and 3 problems and not later ones. At least it works on your Vista computer now.

Re: Beyond Atlantis 2 crashing on Win XP [Re: sanford] #904552
07/29/13 10:46 PM
07/29/13 10:46 PM
R
Robert Gault Offline
Addicted Boomer
Robert Gault  Offline
Addicted Boomer
R

Just tested the 3 CD version of Beyond Atlantis II (you start in the desert as a female archeologist). The game was installed on a WinXP system with a GeForce 7600 GS video card, then the BAII patch described in previous messages was installed.

There were no crashes but the sound was slightly glitchy. I decreased hardware audio acceleration by two notches.

Re: Beyond Atlantis 2 crashing on Win XP [Re: Robert Gault] #904561
07/30/13 12:04 AM
07/30/13 12:04 AM
Hicksville, NY USA
S
sanford Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
sanford  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
S

Hicksville, NY USA
Hi Robert
I DID download and applied that patch to the game files on both computers. I have a GE Force GT430 card in my XP machine. The game crashed just after the Dreamcatcher logo, just as it did before. On my Vista computer, it fixed the problem that Jenny mentioned. So I'm playing it without any problems on the Vista pc. (Actually it's my wife's computer.) I've run out of ideas concerning this game and my WIN XP PC.
Sandy

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (curly), 226 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users