GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
gadget #87198
04/19/01 01:17 PM
04/19/01 01:17 PM
Coos Bay, OR.
V
vicky Offline OP
Settled Boomer
vicky  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
V

Coos Bay, OR.
need a review on gadget before i buy...thanks

------------------
another "aunt sophie" out to enjoy life!

another "aunt sophie".
Re: gadget #87199
04/20/01 11:42 AM
04/20/01 11:42 AM
Doraville, GA, USA
H
Hanover Offline
Settled Boomer
Hanover  Offline
Settled Boomer
H

Doraville, GA, USA
Hi Vicky!

Gadget is one of my favorite "games". It's not really a game, but more a piece of interactive fiction like "Lotus Spring."

The author Hirihuko SHONO also did "Alice: An Interactive Museum" as well as "L-Zone".

The story is about a dictator who plans who control the masses with a machine called "The Sensorama". It was originally called "The Beam Machine" and it was built by some scientists initially to bring out latent powers within people's minds. These machines are powered by some alien-meteor that had fallen to earth. Unfortunately Orlovsky (the dictator) doesn't know what he's playing with and you get to meet some of the sad victims of his experiments with the Sensorama.

The universe the story takes place in is very Victorian and Orwellian. Modern technology crossed with big hulking machinery.

You'll see images of swamps with discarded machinery floating in them with odd looking trees...

It's a very surreal story with a very weird twist at the end (as you gradually figure out who you are).

The game is MYST-like in it's movement and simple inventory system. The only puzzle is towards the end; A maze that is easily navigated using a radar-system aboard the vessel you travel in.

It may sound sorta boring.. However if you like surrealism, old hotel lobbies and train stations, shadowy museums and such, You'll probably fall into it's trance and play it straight through to the end.

The artwork is wonderful, and the atmosphere so thick you could cut it with a knife.

I really hope you enjoy it..and don't worry..no shooting or arcade sequences.

Also, make sure you buy the unabridged version called "Gadget: Past as Future"..it comes with four CDs.

Han

[This message has been edited by Hanover (edited 04-20-2001).]

"Reality is just a Collective Hunch" -Lily Tomlin
Re: gadget #87200
04/20/01 10:54 PM
04/20/01 10:54 PM
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer
gatorlaw  Offline
Adept Boomer

Hanover - thanks for this timely review.

I have wandered around the rain station, hotel and listened to wierd muttering on the train. Feels liek "The Prisoner".

I have this sitting in stasis - so I'll have to open up my sole lonly little saved game and play again. You are right about the surrealism in this game. It has a wondrous air about it.

Laura

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Lex, Orion, Draclvr), 275 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users