GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Realms of the Haunting #88481
02/06/03 02:40 PM
02/06/03 02:40 PM
Sweden
Drizzt Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Drizzt  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sweden
Realms of the Haunting

Think about horror. What is your definition of horror? To sit in a dark room and all of a sudden jump out of the chair, shout a terrified yelp, and feel your nerves trembling? If you define this as
horror, and also enjoys it, then perhaps it is time for you to enter the Realms of the Haunting.

Has there really been that many horror games released? Those I can name just off my hand would
probably be the old Sierra games Phantasmagoria 1 and 2. But these was principally nothing more than a collection of movies, and how fun can that be? Let´s say instead, that you would like to have a game which successfully mixes horror, adventure, puzzle, a bit of roleplaying and also a big piece of action together, then ROTH will fit you like a glove.

Everything starts when you, Adam Randall, gets a mystical package delivered to you by a man who claims to be your recently deceased father.
Appearantly, you are his only heir, and his whole mansion is yours now, and this lies of course far
out away from everything, surrounded by moors, which fits this kind of game perfectly.
The game starts when you finally, after a nice intro sequence stands in the foyer of the mansion.

A little word of advice I think I should give before the I start reviewing more closely; If you have problems completing even games of average length, dont even try to bother with this. It consists of
enormous 20 chapters filled with mysteries, puzzles and quests, and also one of the best written stories I have ever experienced.

The atmosphere in the game is absolutely incredible, and despite that it is old, it is impossible not to appreciate the effects and shiver from contentment when you see the lightning reflecting and lighting the old dusty hallways up, the trees, swaying in the wind and the rain whipping the windows.

You play the game in the classic first-person perspective, but use the mouse considerably more here than in similar games, for example to pick up and examine things.
You will collect an incredible amount of things during the game, of which a few are necessary to go further, and some simply will add to the story or the atmosphere.
One will also have to use the small gray ones, considering the fact that a great deal of this game requires massive brain activity, and there is no lack of puzzles.

About the story itself there is so very much to praise, but that is nothing I can say here without spoiling it, while it is very thickly put together, and also a very massive one.
You will most probably find tons of documents, pergaments, scrolls, old letters and journals that will each have their own place, and after a while you uncover a very sinister plot, involving Satan himself and his henchmen, and gradually one notices not everything is as it should be with even the people one meet.

Graphically, the game is very old, but when it was released it was a pure masterpiece, and there are still traces of it left. To name one example, the monsters are made with motion capture, which means they move quite "gracefully", and not like in other games that arrived around this time (e.g. Duke Nukem 3d). In other words, it looks very well to for an old game, and in some places, the amount of detail is amazing.
I should also add that this was one of the first games that actually showed the objects in 3d, which means they were no longer sprites and now looked different depending on what point of view you were looking at them by.
The sound is just perfect, with weapons thundering, while the monsters are growling as usual. What adds a lot to the atmosphere, though, is the sounds made by the environment the player currently is in. You can hear water drip in caverns far below the earth, in the few outdoor environments that are there, the wind howls, and the leaves rustle, and deep down in catacombs you can hear the sound of
constant stone grinding somewhere far in the distance.
All the movies are in FMV-format, and before you run away screaming, I shall tell you it is very well made. The actors really dont sounds as bad as one would think they might, but they are actually quite good, and even the effects made for the cutscenes are good, considering this is 1996.

But as all games, even this has its share of flaws. The most appearant is that the game is very linear in the beginning, and even if the gamer is quite big itself, there is often just one direction to go to in the first chapters. But gradually this wears off, and it becomes quite non-linear, but it is still annoying.
Another flaw is the story, while it is extremely well written, with many twists and turns, it gets
very messy at places, and it is not until chapter 12 or 13 you understand what all is really about.
Some of the problems are very logical, while some other are totally illogical and can easy frustrate anyone attempting them.
And also, I have a very hard time seeing someone who has completed ROTH sit down and replay it, while you know the story perfectly well. It is a very joyous experience, and although it is extremely long, it is also just a one-time game.

Despite this, Realms of the Haunting is an incredible game, with one of the best stories to date, and should keep even the most experienced players nerves tense as strings during many dark evenings.

Graphics: 7/10
Sound: 9/10
Gameplay: 10/10
Story: 9/10
Replayability Value: 4/10

My Grade: 9/10

Are they dead? Yes. Unlike you they have but one life...and they wasted it for your sake!
Re: Realms of the Haunting #88482
02/06/03 03:00 PM
02/06/03 03:00 PM
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer
gatorlaw  Offline
Adept Boomer

Well you have been busy today Drizzt. smile

You write well. I enjoyed reading this one as much as your other posted today.

I have Realms, but I ran into some problems with the interface and the running of the game. Have to give it another go. I did really like the atmosphere of the game. Very creepy. eek

Laura

Re: Realms of the Haunting #88483
02/07/03 01:07 AM
02/07/03 01:07 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi Drizzt.

Another splendid review !!

I played ROTH a long time ago and it scared me to death eek eek eek

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Realms of the Haunting #88484
02/10/03 12:33 PM
02/10/03 12:33 PM
Texas
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline
Adept Boomer

Texas
You are so right - what an ageless wonderful game this is! I played it when it first came out, and I still shudder when I think about the creepy men in their long back coats waiting to take a shot at me! Well done, Drizzt!

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Realms of the Haunting #88485
02/22/03 09:33 AM
02/22/03 09:33 AM
Ohio,USA
Gamer Offline
Addicted Boomer
Gamer  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ohio,USA
I played this game when it was first released and it is one of my absolute favorites, reading your great review makes me want to play again, and I just might. wave

Helen
Re: Realms of the Haunting #88486
02/22/03 11:19 AM
02/22/03 11:19 AM
Sweden
Drizzt Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Drizzt  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sweden
Thanks...I myself doubt I´ll ever play it again, mainly due to all other games I have to finish first, and also because it was too linear, unfortunately. Still, one of my fav games of all time smile

Are they dead? Yes. Unlike you they have but one life...and they wasted it for your sake!
Re: Realms of the Haunting #88487
02/22/03 07:28 PM
02/22/03 07:28 PM
Southern California
Darlene Offline
Adept Boomer
Darlene  Offline
Adept Boomer

Southern California
bravo bravo

Woohoo and booyah! smile Have an easy peasy day!
Re: Realms of the Haunting #88488
03/05/03 10:29 PM
03/05/03 10:29 PM
Central Texas
Debra Offline
Addicted Boomer
Debra  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Central Texas
It took me 6 weeks to play the game the first time I played it. I just loved it! Scared the dickens out of me. Although I didn't turn around and replay it immediately I have replayed it twice since. There is really something sinister
about the atmosphere in ROTH that makes me take it
out again usually around Halloween.

Re: Realms of the Haunting #88489
03/29/03 07:19 PM
03/29/03 07:19 PM
Virginia
popcorneater Offline
Adept Boomer
popcorneater  Offline
Adept Boomer

Virginia
Drizzt,
I am assuming that this can be played on XP?
But, I don't know who the publisher is?
I love spooky games and this sounds great, never heard of it, but then I am fairly new to gaming. One those that said "never ever would I have a computer that was used for games" HA!

Thanks,
Ingie

playing DS2, Oblivion and WoW
Re: Realms of the Haunting #88490
03/29/03 09:49 PM
03/29/03 09:49 PM
Texas
nickie Offline
nickie  Offline
Adept Boomer

Texas
Ingie, this is an old dos Interplay game. I think you can get it for about $3 at go.gamer.com, and if you think you might like a scary one, it is!

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: Realms of the Haunting #88491
05/06/03 04:59 PM
05/06/03 04:59 PM
Collegeville, PA
goopiekat Offline
Settled Boomer
goopiekat  Offline
Settled Boomer

Collegeville, PA
Drizzt, I see you played it on XP. How on earth did you get it to run?! I can't even get a DOS prompt! It's been sitting here collecting dust because I just don't have the technical know-how to get it moving.
Goopie

Life Lesson #212: Some people have a way with words, while others...umm...thingy.
Re: Realms of the Haunting #88492
05/07/03 01:58 AM
05/07/03 01:58 AM
Sweden
Drizzt Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Drizzt  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Sweden
No, I have not played it on XP yet, though I got everything but the controls to work correctly. I just clicked "install" from the cd, installed it as usual, and then I downloaded VDMS and ran it with that.

Still must fix the controls though. The keys get stuck and just keep going and so on.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 181 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users