GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers #88768
12/03/03 07:35 AM
12/03/03 07:35 AM
Ontario, Canada
colpet Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
colpet  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Ontario, Canada
I have just finished this game. The GK series is one that I have considered a must play mainly because of all the recommendations at GB.
The story is suberb. One of the best I've encountered since Black Dahlia. The characters are compelling, and I loved the romantic tension between Grace and Gabriel. For this reason I will be looking forward to the other two games.

Unfortunately, all the other aspects of the game left me flat (and sometimes very frustrated).
Of course the graphics were dated, not really a problem except for trying to center the cursor. I missed a few items just for lack of seeing them.
I found the dialogue repetitions tedious and I missed having a first person perspective and the mechanical puzzles that go along with it. Lastly, the timed action sequences were an annoyance. These were a problem solve in themselves. Basically it was - save your game and die many times trying to deal with movement, inventory and a myriad of cursors.

But back to that wonderful story!

SPOILERS
I had never heard of a Shattenjager before. Was this made up for the game? And I have a question about Wolfgang. I think he sacrificed himself to Tetelo so that Gabriel could recover the talisman. Is this the general concensus?

Re: Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers #88769
12/04/03 01:54 AM
12/04/03 01:54 AM
USA
Advpuzlov Offline
Addicted Boomer
Advpuzlov  Offline
Addicted Boomer

USA
Actually, there are only a few places where one could die, the ones of difficulty all very near the end of the game. It is true that the graphics are so pixelated it is annoying and the having to pick and choose from action icons seemed very old-fashioned but, as COLPET says, the plot is fascinating and IMHO is well worth playing just for that. It is also a good leadup to GABRIEL KNIGHT II - The Beast Within, which I am playing now. GK I is good background for GK II and makes it more understandable. What I wish would be done is that the plot of GK I would be used again, employing more modern (still mouse-controlled!)graphics and mechanics. It could be a "best-seller." laugh

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle
Re: Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers #88770
12/06/03 12:30 AM
12/06/03 12:30 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

I personally haven't yet found a game from the same era as GK1 (1994) that is anywhere near as good bravo

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers #88771
12/07/03 06:43 PM
12/07/03 06:43 PM
Ohio,USA
Gamer Offline
Addicted Boomer
Gamer  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Ohio,USA
Personally GK1, is my favorite of the series, yes,
I played it when it first came out and maybe thats why I dont have the outdated feeling from it, even though I really enjoyed GK2 and 3,
I still think Sins of The Fathers is the best of the lot. smile

Helen
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Pandora), 353 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users