GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
UAKM (GOG VERSION) #813286
06/04/12 03:02 PM
06/04/12 03:02 PM
oldmariner Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Under a Killing Moon, Access Software 1994, Reissue G.O.G 2011
PC Requirements: 386/25, 4 MB, SVGA VESA, CD-ROM, - sound card, mouse.

The Setup

This game was initially released in 1994 on four Cds with full motion video with requirements noted above. As many Adventure Gamers learned getting it to run on newer machines is problematic. On my previous Windows XP configuration the game ran well using Dosbox. Several UAKM installers available on the net failed to work on my system. I cannot point you to them because when something fails to perform I toss the link. Without describing the Dosbox process let it suffice to say with XP the game ran flawlessly. There is no shortage of Tex Murphy reviews on the net. I had avoided reviewing this game for that reason. For most gamers no introduction to the story is needed we all know who Tex is and how the story goes. I will present a brief outline below for those who do are not familiar. It is nearly twenty years since this game ruled the gaming scene. There may be a few out there who don’t know about this amazing series.

For those of you unfamiliar with Dosbox and hesitate to attempt dealing with dos commands and have paused to dig out those old disc check their free download here Dosbox There are additional tools called front ends making the process much easier. For my Windows 7 64 bit system I used a program named D-Fend Reloaded found on that Dosbox site. With Dosbox installed D-Fend will control it for you issuing the commands automatically. Using that program you can install any Dos game which becomes linked to D-Fend. When you wish to play just open D-Fend and click on the game icon. There is no need to mount drives and type lines of dos commands to initiate the game. There are several front ends D-Fend is the one I tried and it works for me. You still have to have the disc in the drive and swap disc when required. These programs simply allow your newer machine to play the games.

Finally we get to the purpose of this review, the recent G.O.G reissue of Under a Killing Moon. You can disregard all of the above setup requirements by simply purchasing the G.O.G release for ten bucks. As with all that company’s games they are DRM free fully burnable to a disc and yours forever. Once you complete your download you never have to visit the internet regarding this game again. There are no activation codes, no permissions and no disc. Once installed all you need to do is click the desktop icon and you are instantly into the world of Tex Murphy. To make a long story short the new version played seamlessly without all the frustrating set up the old disc require.

The Mechanics

I will start with a shameless cut and paste of another Tex Murphy review I wrote. All three games, UAKM, Pandora Directive and Overseer use the same interface and game engine. At least they appear to. The game is played in the first person with plenty of third person perspective on plenty of full motion video scenes. There is minimal keyboard usage. When movement is required push the space bar once to engage movement mode. Movement is done by moving the mouse forward, back right, left. Another keyboard tap stops movement. The arrow keys allow Tex to look up or down which is needed to look into drawers under beds etc. A second click of the space bar returns to interactive mode where you use standard left and right mouse clicks to look talk pickup etc. The inventory appears as a list of items on the top right section of the screen. In order to use an item select an object from the list click on the use button. The examine button brings up a close-up view of the selected item. Some items can be manipulated, such as getting the contents from a wallet, envelope, etc. Some of the items will contain puzzles which you solve when using the examine button. Finally, clicking on the combine button brings up thumbnail pictures of the items in your inventory allowing you to use items on one another to create new items.

I normally keep my game saves in a folder even after having uninstalled a game I was curious to discover if my old saves will work in the G.O.G. reissue. I am happy to report they do. There is one caveat with these saves. The last three Tex games require you at start up to type in the player’s name. Your saves are labeled with your name. To allow old saves to work you will need to use the same name when you played the game that generated those old saves, or rename the saves to match the present nomenclature. They do work. Now for the hard part finding your saves. “Where did Windows 7 hide my saves?” How many times have we heard that question? The answer for this version of the game on my system is DEEP! Open Windows Explorer and it is a mere NINE clicks. Here is the path where you will likely find it. I am assuming this is the default as I made no attempt to tweak it. I only spent considerable time looking for it. ( Documents and settings\ User name\ App Data\ Local\ Virtual Store\ Program Files X86\ Gog.com\ Under A Killing Moon\ Games.) Yes the save folder is called Games there is no folder named Saves. Saves are all that is contained in the Games folder in that location.

The Story

Most gamers are well aware of the Tex Murphy quest. Tex is your typical film noir down on his luck private detective. The setting is a futuristic SanFrancisco covered by a radioactive cloud and populated by norms and mutants. There are no mutants as described in the endless procession of Xmen movies. Thank you for sparing us from that trauma Chris Jones. He is introduced by the voice of the P.I. in the sky (God?) played by James Earl Jones. Mr. Jones is not the only actor of note in this production. We are entertained by Margot Kidder, Brian Keith, Russell Means. The theme is film noir meets science fiction. It is laced with wry humor you would expect to find in those old Bogart detective movies.

We follow Tex through many locations helping him piece together events leading to him saving the world. It is laced with film clips of the result from your choices made in first person mode. It is a full three sixty view of the world including up and down views. There are no quick action requirements though at times Tex can be killed. In that event you are required to restart from your last save. It is imperative you save frequently. You are never rushed and can take your time in this world. I take that back there is one section where you have to dodge and out run a security robot. It can get quite dicey. For those of you who really want to avoid the ducking and diving here is a link to an extensive Tex Murphy saves database. Unofficial Tex Murphy Site
It is a great resource and they work in the G.O.G reissue as well. Just remember to rename them to be next in sequential order and nomenclature that your present saves are using. I issue a warning regarding old Tex Murphy saves. Simply renaming them works for UAKM, however, with Pandora there is additional tweaking which is required no matter which version you are playing. Read my review on this site of Pandora Directive for the details. My memory is unclear regarding if Overseer requires the same tweaking as Pandora. I have not visited that game in awhile.

The intent of this review is not to encourage anyone to run out and buy the new version. It is merely to inform you it is true to the original and is compatible with it. For newer systems it is far easier to setup and run. If you have the disk and able to deal with Dosbox for UAKM there is no need to replace them. The other two, Pandora and Overseer worked well with XP. I have not tried them on Win 7 and cannot speak to their functioning on that system. I hope this is of value to some and I understand many of you are already aware of this information. It is great that access to old games is helped along so we can keep playing them.

Last edited by oldmariner; 06/04/12 06:09 PM.
Re: UAKM (GOG VERSION) [Re: oldmariner] #813296
06/04/12 03:25 PM
06/04/12 03:25 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
That was so helpful, oldmariner. Thank you!

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: UAKM (GOG VERSION) [Re: oldmariner] #813320
06/04/12 05:31 PM
06/04/12 05:31 PM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Thanks oldmariner, that was extremely helpful! broccoli

Re: UAKM (GOG VERSION) [Re: oldmariner] #813322
06/04/12 05:57 PM
06/04/12 05:57 PM
oldmariner Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Thanks guys, I did not think there was much you could add about the games themselves. I was curious if the old saves would work. I thought that kind of info would be useful. In fact the saves came from that site I linked as I lost my old UAKM saves.

The reference to Pandora saves spoke to the disc version. I suspect it would be the same for GOG since everything else appears to be the same. If you use GOG for the other two later games I'm guessing you may have to use the tweak in my other review. It has been awhile and I had forgotten that trick. Imagine my surprise had I started with Pandora. I'd likely have concluded the saves were not compatible.

Glad the info is useful. It sure is easier using the newer version.

Re: UAKM (GOG VERSION) [Re: oldmariner] #813468
06/05/12 10:13 AM
06/05/12 10:13 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Thanks Oldmariner, so glad some of the classic games are once more easy to run. wave

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: UAKM (GOG VERSION) [Re: looney4labs] #813878
06/07/12 03:30 AM
06/07/12 03:30 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Thank you, oldmariner. Useful stuff thumbsup

I can still play the original using my old Win98SE machine but I did buy the GOG release anyway.

Can't do without my favourite Tex game in some form or other !! lol

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: UAKM (GOG VERSION) [Re: Mad] #813982
06/07/12 12:25 PM
06/07/12 12:25 PM
oldmariner Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Mad, I like the Gog version because it avoids disc swapping and appears to load faster during game play.

Re: UAKM (GOG VERSION) [Re: oldmariner] #814055
06/07/12 06:56 PM
06/07/12 06:56 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
No disk swapping...that's a good thing.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: UAKM (GOG VERSION) [Re: oldmariner] #814125
06/08/12 06:28 AM
06/08/12 06:28 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: oldmariner
Mad, I like the Gog version because it avoids disc swapping and appears to load faster during game play.

I agree !! GOG are so good with their tweaking thumbsup

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: UAKM (GOG VERSION) [Re: oldmariner] #814833
06/11/12 10:06 AM
06/11/12 10:06 AM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

You brought back memories of disk swapping! (Shudders.) I haven't had to do it in ages. Maybe life in general IS getting better? grin

Re: UAKM (GOG VERSION) [Re: oldmariner] #815176
06/12/12 09:37 PM
06/12/12 09:37 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
If you have the old CD version, and aren't scared by a bit of DOSBox configurating, you can avoid the disc swapping using Glenn's Guide
http://www.glennsguides.com/2007/07/classic-video-games-on-xp-under-killing.html

Re: UAKM (GOG VERSION) [Re: oldmariner] #815365
06/14/12 01:30 AM
06/14/12 01:30 AM
oldmariner Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Thanks for the tip Jenny

Re: UAKM (GOG VERSION) [Re: Becky] #815949
06/16/12 05:21 PM
06/16/12 05:21 PM
london uk
chrissie Offline
Addicted Boomer
chrissie  Offline
Addicted Boomer

london uk
Thanks for your review oldmariner! I've only got to know about Tex Murphy in the last decade & with so much recommendation I grabbed my chance to download UAKM from GOG recently to see what it was all about! I'm not doing too well with the interface on it - it's okay when I'm focusing on something but moving around just gives me motion sickness! I'm so disappointed but I will persevere but it's going to be very slow going! (I'm having the same problem with Journeyman Project 3!) smile

Re: UAKM (GOG VERSION) [Re: oldmariner] #815953
06/16/12 05:40 PM
06/16/12 05:40 PM
oldmariner Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Chrissie, the movement is my one dislike about it.
You can change from movement to interact by clicking the space bar. What I have always done in move the mouse very slowly in movement mode. The mouse varies the speed movement. ( you already figured that out I bet.) Quickly hit the space bar when you get you are going it stops movement. You can catch a breath that way.

I played these games so many times the movement is not much of a problem. Yes you can used to it. Just go slow at first.

Never, ever try to walk down the stairs. Always use the map to leave Tex's office. That fire escape is a killer. I hate it. In fact use the map every chance you get.

If worse come to worse use Milo's saves I linked to. They work if you remember to rename them matching your format. You can download the entire collection in one zip file. He has a bmp zip also to index the saves. It is pretty accurate. You may need it when you get to computer lab avoiding the robot takes dexterity.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (oldbroad), 219 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users