GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
THE PANDORA DIRECTIVE #87245
05/01/01 10:12 AM
05/01/01 10:12 AM
Central Texas
Debra Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Debra  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Central Texas
I think I have a lot of nerve reviewing this
game as I am not a writer, but maybe my love
for it will override that problem.
The Pandora Directive is a full-motion video
interactive, point and click game. It plays
under DOS or Win 95, but not Win 98. I usually play it under DOS so I don't have to
tweak anything.
The story revolves around our hero, Tex Murphy, the down and out PI, always between
jobs. The opening scene is frightening as
a man in black and masked paws through a sleeping woman's possession with her in the
room, but oops! she's not sleeping.
The scene shifts to The Brew and Stew where
Tex is busy alienating his love interest Chelsee Bando. He has a problem with commitment. After, Chelsee leaves and his
friends berate him for his lack of sensitivity, a stranger buys him a drink and
asks for his assistance in locating a missing
person. From here the plot has lots of twists and turns; serial killer on the loose,
government conspiracy (The Truth is Out There), ancient civilizations and trying to get the love/commitment thing going.
The story is full of great puzzles of various
difficulties. Most of which are fun and not
too daunting. You can choose at the beginning to play on Entertainment Mode which has a built in hint system that costs
you points to use and affects your final score (for those who are interested in scores) or you can play in Game Player Mode and you're on your own. If you do try to use the hint system in Game Player Mode you are put into the Entertainment Mode. Game Player mode has a few more puzzles in it and they are a little harder.
There are seven endings to the game based on
the decisions you make. Will you give the
money back to the orphans or keep it? Will
you return your rotten landlord's wallet?
The ending of the game is a zinger!! It really made me go WOW!
I have played this game at least 10 times and
it is IMHO the very best game ever made bar
none.
You will have trouble finding it because Access Software has been bought out by Microsoft and they don't sell it and don't intend to make anymore. Boo! Hiss!
You can find the game sometimes at eBay and
Gamer Trading Zone or here on the Trading Post.
Although, I have just covered The Pandora Directive there are more Tex adventures:
Mean Streets
Martian Memorandum
Under a Killing Moon
Overseer
Any of the above are great.
Pandora Directive is A+ in everyway.

Re: THE PANDORA DIRECTIVE #87246
05/01/01 11:05 AM
05/01/01 11:05 AM
Georgia USA
D
DocPaul Offline
Addicted Boomer
DocPaul  Offline
Addicted Boomer
D

Georgia USA
Yes, it really is the best game ever. Story, humor, length, gameplay. They are all great.

Re: THE PANDORA DIRECTIVE #87247
05/01/01 11:51 AM
05/01/01 11:51 AM
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer
gatorlaw  Offline
Adept Boomer

Debra - I think your review was just grand. Your writing is expressive. MNow if you still have any doubts about your writing, remember it only improves with practice - so posting more reviews is a great way to do that. hint-hint

I've replayed this myself through three endings now and it remains one of my top ten - if not the number one game on my list. I still get the shivers every time I think of the Roswell base.

You are right to give this fabulous game an A+. The characters, ambiance and you're right again..."The ending (s) will knock your socks off" Playing cowboy will never mean the same thing to me again. ha-ha

Laura

Re: THE PANDORA DIRECTIVE #87248
05/01/01 12:09 PM
05/01/01 12:09 PM
Ardsley, NY, USA
Gameman007 Offline
Settled Boomer
Gameman007  Offline
Settled Boomer

Ardsley, NY, USA
I totally agree with your review Debra,PD is one of my favorite games and have played it twice. One point you made though that I didn't find to be true, this game can be run on Win98, had no problem with it on either my 'puter or my sister's when I visited around Thanksgiving (took the game with me). There were no glitches in either installation or play. For those who don't know you can do Gamer's mode save your game then go to the hint system if you need it, reload your game and continue with your new found info without being kicked into Entertainment mode.
Regards to all,

Bill

[This message has been edited by Gameman007 (edited 05-01-2001).]

Would the oceans be deeper if there weren't any sponges?
If the world didn't suck would we all fall off?
Currently playing Hitchcock, Syberia, Dark Fall, Byzantine, The Dame Was Loaded and Atlantis 3.
Re: THE PANDORA DIRECTIVE #87249
05/01/01 01:32 PM
05/01/01 01:32 PM
Body in California/Heart in Ha...
syd Offline
Adept Boomer
syd  Offline
Adept Boomer

Body in California/Heart in Ha...
Debra - great review. I loved The Pandora Directive - have only played it once however so have only seen one ending and I forget which one that was - I remember I did try to play "nice" ie: I returned the wallet (almost kept it as rotten as that landlord is) and gave back the money back to the orphans. Next time I play I may be a little more rotten just to see how it goes.

I am torn however on which is my favorite - Under a Killing Moon or Pandora Directive (haven't played Overseer yet)

Dark Side : Risen
Light Side:

I can only please one person a day. Today isn't your day. Tomorrow's not looking good either.
Re: THE PANDORA DIRECTIVE #87250
05/01/01 06:07 PM
05/01/01 06:07 PM
Bass Lake,Ca. USA
Susie-Q Offline
Settled Boomer
Susie-Q  Offline
Settled Boomer

Bass Lake,Ca. USA
Pandora Directive was a fantastic game. I still have been unable to have the best possible ending. Oh well maybe next time. The Tex series are my favorite games and I'm still waiting and hoping for a sequel. Oh well I can dream can't I?

Susie-Q
Re: THE PANDORA DIRECTIVE #87251
05/02/01 12:48 AM
05/02/01 12:48 AM
Arlington, WA, US
Cynch Offline
Addicted Boomer
Cynch  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Arlington, WA, US
I sure enjoyed reading your review of my very favorite game, Debra. I didn't have any trouble running it on WIN98, though.

It is a shame that the game has become so hard to find...I saw it went for $66.00 on eBay today..whew!! That's completely out of range for most of us adventure lovers.
Microsoft is missing out on a good bet by not reissuing it.

I have a copy of the TEX MURPHY double feature with both PD and UAKM. I would like to offer it as a "floating game" if I can figure out how to mail it...it has 10 CDs, I think and the box is kind of beat up--the CDs just kind of sat in little slots in the box...but the slots are torn and won't hold the CDs anymore. Anyone got any ideas how I can repackage this?
Cynch

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths
we take but by the moments that take our breath away."
Re: THE PANDORA DIRECTIVE #87252
05/02/01 08:31 AM
05/02/01 08:31 AM
Central Texas
Debra Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
Debra  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer

Central Texas
Well, now I'm confused. My game has a message that comes up and says it will not play under Win 98. I wonder if the later
released CD's were changed a little to make
it possible to run under the later Windows
release?
Great idea about saving the game before using the hint system! Also, for those who
would like to see all of the endings there's a Tex site that offers all 7 of the endings
as save games, but I'll have to find it again.

Re: THE PANDORA DIRECTIVE #87253
08/21/01 05:10 PM
08/21/01 05:10 PM
S.L.C., Utah United States
bpegasus69 Offline
Settled Boomer
bpegasus69  Offline
Settled Boomer

S.L.C., Utah United States
Hi everyone:
Would it be possible to tell me why there are some places that are not recorded in inventory even after you have picked it up. I went down the manhole cover and did what I needed to do. I picked up the chisel and the money belt and they are not showing in my inventory. Do I need to start all over or will I be forgiven by the game to go on.
Love and Hugs,
bpeg

bpeg
Re: THE PANDORA DIRECTIVE #87254
08/21/01 05:59 PM
08/21/01 05:59 PM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Not only are there 2 inventories, but each inventory will let you scroll up and down. Make sure you're accessing the right inventory.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 230 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users