GB HOMEPAGE

Broken Sword?

Posted By: Drizzt

Broken Sword? - 11/11/12 02:50 AM

Ugh puzzles drive me insane. Any clues on how to solve the code key you get in BS1: DC?
Posted By: MaG

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/11/12 03:31 AM

Hi Drizzt,

Is this the one in the drawer?

It is a substitution cipher puzzle. Using the frequency and location of the symbols on the message, replace the symbols with alphabets.

Click on a symbol from bottom of the page and click on the matching red letter of the alphabet.

The coded message will show the change from symbol to alphabet.

If an error is done, the left single arrow will erase the last entered symbol.

The double arrows at right will erase all the entry.

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/11/12 12:15 PM

Hi Mag

Yes, that's the one. What do you mean by frequency and location? I just tried substiting the first letter for A, second for B etc, but it didn't yield anything worthwhile. Is there a pattern to it?
Posted By: mj2c

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/11/12 01:13 PM

frequency is the number of times it appears. Vowels tend to be more frequent

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/11/12 02:46 PM

This is a cryptogram puzzle.

In English language, the one letter words are: I and A.
So if you see a symbol in the code that is just one symbol forming word - chances are it is I or A.

As mj2c mentioned - in words that are made up of several symbols; the more often the symbols are found might be deduced that they are vowels (a, e, i, o or u). Then you deduce if that is so or try them and see if a word is formed.

Then if a 2 similar symbols are side by side; they might be those letters that are commonly seen in English words: tt, ll, oo... luck

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/11/12 06:37 PM

Oh, this is bloody...I thought that "surely this is way too complicated for them to put in the game", but I guess they did. razz

I will try some more tonight, hopefully I will get it right.

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/11/12 07:12 PM

You can do it, Drizzt; luck or just copy the solution in the walkthrough. laugh

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/11/12 11:41 PM

Well, I managed to get it right. It wasn't that hard after all. smile

I was just going to "see what happens", and I ended up completing 55% of the game (according to the counter). This is the farthest I have ever gotten in an adventure game without a walkthrough; I'm quite proud of myself.

I'm stuck now at Montfaucon, though. I have no idea how to get rid of the cop outside. Do you have any tips?

(I don't want to check a walkthrough; I might risk spoiling the game for myself)
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/11/12 11:56 PM

Hi Drizzt,

Quick tip: Red noses can be useful.
Posted By: Tally Ho

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/12/12 12:30 AM

Hej Drizzt!

Stick with it and stay out of the walkthrough. You have plenty of help right here. You are playing one of the Old Favorites, and we want to enjoy it along with you!!

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/12/12 03:51 PM

Hi,

Don't worry, I'm keeping away from walkthroughs. smile

Thanks, Rushes, but I still don't know what to do with it...I'm stuck.

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/12/12 03:57 PM

Try showing the red nose first to the policeman, and then to the juggler. George should then do some juggling of his own. luck

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/12/12 07:28 PM

Juggling? I don't see a juggler anywhere. Maybe I'm in the wrong place, or something changed from the original to the Director's Cut version? smile

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/12/12 08:26 PM

In Montfaucon, the policeman should be sat at a table outside a cafe. A manhole cover should be set in the ground away to his right, with a juggler standing close by to it, juggling. Is this where you're at? Maybe describe your surroundings so we can tell. smile I haven't played the Director's Cut, so I'm not sure if there are differences?

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/12/12 08:30 PM

Yes, that's exactly where I am, but there is no juggler there. Hmm...

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/12/12 08:39 PM

I just checked the Director's Cut walkthrough at Big Fish, and the juggler should be there, so this is strange! Are there any other people around apart from the policeman? There should be a small crowd watching the juggler. I'm wondering if your screen resolution is possibly set so that it's cutting off the section at far right with the manhole/juggler. Perhaps someone else has another idea and can advise us here. think

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/12/12 08:59 PM

Well, it seems I could also go to Spain, so I guess I will do this first. Maybe the juggler and crowd will turn up after that.

Now I'm stuck trying to get past that gardener. I put the blood pressure device on the water hose, but I can't find a way to sneak past him. Maybe that suit of armor has something to do with it.

And it sounds like a goat when I try to use the manhole tool on it for some reason, I just noticed. lol No idea why.

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/12/12 11:46 PM

Yes, the armour will help.

If you can get the dogs to bark and then hide behind the armour, that should distract Lopez to allow you to go upstairs.

I don't remember the goat sound. lol I need to replay this game.

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/18/12 04:24 PM

Thanks, rushes. I completed the game today, although I had to glance at a walkthrough once. Lovely game. Now for the second one. smile

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/18/12 09:18 PM

One thing I didn't quite get though;
Click to reveal..

In the ending sequence, who is the guy that shoots the man about to shoot you? I can't recall him.

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/18/12 09:55 PM

Drizzt,

I just watched the ending on your Tube here.

Click to reveal..
I didn't see anyone shooting any baddie.
Eklund catches both of them.
Then the Grand Master came.
At the end Guido was holding the gun and was ordered by the Grand Master to kill them.

Re: Broken Sword? - 11/18/12 10:10 PM

Click to reveal..
Well, it seems in the original version it's a knife thrown (in DS it's a shot) but I think it's actually Rosso, I thought he was the grandmaster first. But I guess the bald guy is Rosso.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community