GB HOMEPAGE

GK/ Beast Within/ Ending

Posted By: Pez

GK/ Beast Within/ Ending - 06/30/15 05:00 AM

Hi all.

I've played Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within, so many times through the years I've lost count; played it when it first came out in the mid-90's, too.

But darn if the ending doesn't always get me stuck.

I've looked at the two walkthroughs you have here on this site (plus there's more elsewhere around the 'Net).

As Gabriel the Wolf, I made it through those maze of doors in the basement (and even that part was brutal to get through), and now I'm in the furnace room.

I click on Grace, get her to open the furnace door.....but it's when the Black Wolf goes to make his leap that I keep missing.

On one of the walkthroughs I've found elsewhere on the 'net, it says this:
"Line up your cursor with the left edge of the coal bin (to the right of the furnace), and about midway up vertically. Wait for Von Glower to leap. When he starts the leap, he'll move in relative slow motion. The instant he crosses the point of your cursor, click on him!"

Check out this screen-capture pic:
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/GK-Beast-End_zpsbw1adase.jpg

Do you see my Yellow Arrow? Is that what's meant by "midway up"? Or is the Red Arrow considered "midway up"?

To me, where my Blue Arrow is makes more sense to click on the Black Wolf; that would push him right into the furnace. But even though I've played this game so many times through the years, I can't seem to remember that sweet spot to get the Black Wolf.

And, unless something's a little bit funky because I'm using DOSbox in a Windows 8.1 environment, when I get my cursor ready around that coal bin/ furnace area, when the Black Wolf actually leaps, the cursor disappears, and I just click when I think it's appropriate.

Who knows, maybe my memory's fuzzy and the cursor always did disappear at this point even back in the old DOS/ Windows 95/ Windows 98 days blush

Can anybody help? Where's that sweet spot? Where should I hover my cursor before the Black Wolf leaps?

And when he does leap, should I click my mouse right away, or wait until he's in front of the open furnace more?

Where's that hot spot so I can get the big, bad, Black Wolf?!?!?!?!
Pez
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: GK/ Beast Within/ Ending - 06/30/15 05:41 AM

Check this playthrough around 8 minutes 45 seconds in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyMNDSgSKbw
Posted By: sanford

Re: GK/ Beast Within/ Ending - 06/30/15 05:32 PM

Another great video walkthrough for "123pazu", Jenny
Sandy
Posted By: Pez

Re: GK/ Beast Within/ Ending - 07/02/15 02:20 AM

Finished the game!! I beat the big, bad, Black Wolf!!! happydance

And oh my gosh, this is so embarrassing......

I mentioned in my original post that I've played this game so many times through the years that I've lost count. And the ending (maze of doors in the basement, etc.); uggghhhh, so frustrating.

Well, I mentioned I was in the furnace. I had clicked on Grace to give her "control", then had her open the furnace door.....positioned my cursor where I thought it should be when the Black Wolf leaps.....but kept seeming to miss that sweet spot.

I watched the video clip you provided in the link, Jenny100, and yes, I did seem to have my cursor positioned correctly. But guess what I had forgotten to do?!?!

The video clip actually helped remind me of this: After giving control over to Grace, and then having her open that furnace door....I forgot to give control back over to myself by clicking on myself (Gabriel/ Gray Wolf)!!!

Darn; sometimes you forget the simplest things!! blush

Thanks for the help!
Pez
Posted By: Marian

Re: GK/ Beast Within/ Ending - 07/02/15 02:31 AM

Glad you made it through! wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community