GB HOMEPAGE

All right, I give up... What is it with this forum?

Posted By: alkis21

All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/28/06 09:39 PM

After reading this forum during the past few weeks, I want to know your secret.

Where are all the insults and petty fights?
Where are all the troublemakers?
Where are all the annoying moderators who can find a "rule violation" in every post?

How do you do it? Is there some sort of subliminal message that works as a sedative blinking every few fractions of a second? Or do you have a "Stepford Wives" thing going on?

This place is so civilized compared to everywhere else on the internet, it's spooky.
Seriously, I love it. But I want to know your secret.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/28/06 09:48 PM

Alkis,

I can not respond as a moderator, but that is a big reason we all like it here- Moderators are great-helpfull with a sense of humor and the people who gather here are really nice- I've been watching and reading your posts around to-- and have enjoyed them--- although I am one that will turn to a WT when I am at a block wave laugh ---Welcome to the best site in town
Posted By: texaslady

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/28/06 09:53 PM

No Stepford people that I'm aware of Alkis. Marita has a standard for mods and members alike. She expects all members to treat others as they want to be treated.
Being on a forum should be fun and informative.

Sue wave
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/28/06 09:59 PM

Seriously, it's the coffee at the diner rotfl
Posted By: Pib

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/28/06 09:59 PM

Hey, didn't you see the "Nice people only" sign on the door? The mods whack you over the head with it when you misbehave!

rotfl

PiB ducks for cover from the whacking sign!
Posted By: 3dobermans

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/28/06 10:01 PM

Alkis, I to have been to a a couple of other sites and found I was very offended by some of the language. I like the maturity that is displayed here, the similar likes and dislikes thats related among the members. It's also knowing that one can feel comfortable in emailing a Mod if they have a concern. This is a forum that one can learn much just by reading; a forum that a decent sense of humor can be enjoyed; a forum where one can ask questions and not be embarrassed by doing so.
This can only be done through the caring work of the Administrators and Moderators.

wave
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/28/06 10:06 PM

Alkis, do you mean you didn't get the box of mood stabilizers in the mail when you joined here? Just kidding. wink

I think that because flaming and fights are not permitted, those that want to do that get bored when they can't instigate so they move on. lol

Ana wave
Posted By: BillyBob

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/28/06 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alkis21:
After reading this forum during the past few weeks, I want to know your secret.

Where are all the insults and petty fights?
Where are all the troublemakers?
Apparently I've fallen behind on posting and am failing to maintain my "reputation" here. I'll try to do better in the future! laugh
Posted By: rose113

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/28/06 10:26 PM

lol Nice, isn't it Alkis? I have no desire to be insulted or to do any insulting. This is the first place that I ever joined and it's the one for me. I have glanced at a couple of other sites and they just don't do it for me. At GameBoomers you can learn a lot, get help with games, your computer, get puzzled, have fun and make real friends. Neat eh? wink
Posted By: Jenny

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/28/06 10:48 PM

Alkis, the secret is a very simple one--
  • first, we have the best members on the internet
  • second, Marita has established a set of standards, and the mods enforce them

From what I've seen looking at some other sites, we are an island of civility in the sea of the internet... bravo
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/28/06 11:18 PM

You didn't notice the subliminal messages forcing you to involuntarily behave? bravo
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/28/06 11:34 PM

Ok, now -1-2-3- hmmmmmmmm
We love you moders, oh yes we do,
and those admins you're cute too-
we're either gaming -til we're blue
or posting with our groups!!!
Yea, GAMEBOOMERS!!!
Posted By: rose113

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/28/06 11:42 PM

bravo Winfrey!
Posted By: Jenny

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 12:08 AM

Very nice, Winfrey--looks as though our resident poets club has another member.... wave
Posted By: dragonuk44

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 12:43 AM

If you are just stuck ina game,
or tired and bored and nothing to do
come to game boomers and wright a ryhme or joke
and some one will answer you .
Well I tried
rotfl
Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 01:08 AM

How aboout: All us Gameboomers love our fellow man, try to be kind, and if we have unkind thoughts or feelings towards someone specific we just shut our mouths and try to be pleasant, or avoid someone we could have a problem with because the 'chemistry ain't there'....? This place is sacred to all of us who have remained and come back EVERY DAY, and we don't want to spoil it for ourselves or anyone else. It is just why I don't even go looking for other forums to participate in....many of us feel the same way. And we love it that you want to be with us, and respect us all as much as we respect and love you. :kiss: Does that start to answer your questions? The originators of this forum had a strict policy and our current Ad/Mod/owner has followed thru on it and trained all her 'helpers' to keep us all in line, gently and quietly. Peace and Love reign thumbsup
Love, Betty Lou :kiss:
Posted By: gymcandy1

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 01:22 AM

A thread that runs consistantly through all the forums is bonds of friendship.

You treat your friends with respect. thumbsup

wave joe
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 03:27 AM

Hey Hey happydance happydance
Posted By: Lex

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 06:59 AM

It's really just a matter of old fashioned good manners and common courtesy, sadly no longer to be expected in many aspects of modern life but all the more precious for that when discovered.

Keep up the good work all you mods and admin folk (even if you do sometimes censor some of my jokes)!

And a belated welcome to Alkis.
wave
Posted By: JennyP

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 07:02 AM

Hi Alkis. I get enough of fighting & backbiting at work! Coming to GB is like coming home - nice & relaxing & you can be yourself.
Off now to make very large cup of tea
Posted By: MsMercury

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 10:25 AM

Hi Alkis....insults, petty fights and troublemakers just don't fit here. We get enough of that in the real world. Courtesy, friendship and good manners are what jumps out at you no matter what forum you're on. I've yet to find these qualities on any other site. A real home from home, thanks to admin, mods and members bravo

Mary wave
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 10:37 AM

Hi Alkis, just want to add that GameBoomers is a special place for me to make new friends from all over the world and feel I have found a safe place to "get away from it" all and enjoy moments of fun, laughter, sharing, and caring! smile
Posted By: Midge

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 11:27 AM

Everyone else has already said it so eloquently I'll just add I agree with what's already been said. Come back every day and see what we mean.

Midge wave
Posted By: blsbet44

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 12:03 PM

Well we do like to sing a rousing chorus of Kum-Ba-Ya every once in a while but I don't think that THAT is the reason...
Some of us sing off key eek
Some of us don't know the lyrics blush
some of us just space out and not follow the conductor bravo {gameboomers}
Posted By: Jude

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 01:19 PM

Yup, GB is a very special place. We share our joys and woes, come up with helpful suggestions if someone has a problem and, above all, we laugh together and not at each other.

Our mods, past and present, are truly terrific for enabling this to come about.
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 02:44 PM

Hi Alkis
There's no secret to it. Everyone here has a grown up mentality. Iv'e personally seen you picked on at other forums about your new game.
Speaking of which , how's that game coming along ? Looking forward to playing it.

Ta Ta for now.

Cathy thumbsup wave
Posted By: Jenna

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 02:54 PM

I have been here almost two years and only once in that time have I seen any poster get an "attitude" when he didn't get the answer he thought he should have gotten. Even his nastiness was dealt with by the mods nicely, calmly and professionally. I was very impressed.

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 04:51 PM

Thank you all for your posts and welcomes. It looks like you're doing a great job here.
Cathy, the game is coming along just fine. I will have some important announcements soon, but I don't want to jinx them before I get some contracts signed.
The people who picked on me in other forums about my game are a very small minority compared to the ones who liked it. And again, the percentage of the people who were *rude* to me as opposed to just saying they didn't like it (which is acceptable) was even smaller.
But as a wise man said once: "999 people love your creation and the 1000th person hates it, and the only thing you can think about it is the 1000th person".
Posted By: Moonbeam

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 09:04 PM

Hey alkis21, the reason we are so happy and civilised here is because we don't set out to hurt anyone, we are always there for each other if any of us needs a shoulder to cry on. We are NOT gobby brats who set out to deliberatley cause arguments - we are just a big, happy gameboomer family.

And I would like to say a big to you!!!

Diana xxx.

By the way, if you want to chat to us, you can find us in the diner every day, always opened by our resident chef - gymcandy1 (Joe)

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 09:14 PM

Diana...please explain "gobby brats" to me. From the way it sounds, it may need to be in an email to me.
Love learning new phrases from members over the pond.

Sue wave
Posted By: Moonbeam

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 09:15 PM

Sue, it just means letting your mouth run away with you, and being very rude!!

Hope that clears it up for you?????

Diana xxx.

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 09:20 PM

Yes ma'am. Great phrase to be able to use. Thanks for the explanation.

Sue wave
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 09:32 PM

lol lol rotfl rotfl gobby brats
Posted By: Mad

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 09:59 PM

Hi smile

I feel that a great Gameboomers asset is how any person (and I know one who shall remain nameless thumbsup thumbsup

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: Dineke

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 10:49 PM

Hi Alkis smile

Most of the GameBoomers are native English. For me (and you), English is the second language.
But it doesn't make any difference to this "family" what language you speak or what country you're from. They are so warm-hearted!
(And it is great to get compliments on your English.)

wave

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 11:00 PM

Ok thanks for the answers.. I've got a couple of more questions if you don't mind:

1)Is it just my impression or are most members here female?
2)Why isn't there an option for private messages in the forum? Is it a deliberate choice?
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 11:09 PM

Hi Alkis, There are lots of males on the site. Look in the Garden or in RPG or Discussions. That is where most of them are (it seems). In Mixed Bags there is probably a greater number of females but it really depends on what the topic is.

As far as the PM feature, I'm not sure if it's an option on the board. I'll wait for an admin to answer that.

Ana wave
Posted By: MaG

Re: All right, I give up... What is it with this forum? - 07/29/06 11:11 PM

I believe that we do have more female members but we do have a large male membership. They usually post more at other forums and I do notice that our silent members (non or rare posters) are mostly males though (those that I can distinguish by name).
lol
As for the PM - yes it is our choice. Aside for the bandwidth usage, the purpose of PM for forum business can be done by posting or e-mails.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community