GB HOMEPAGE

Wrath of the Gods

Posted By: JohnBoy

Wrath of the Gods - 06/22/07 12:53 AM

I found this game today in New Orleans at a thrift store. I had never heard of it. Has anyone?

Wrath of the Gods
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/22/07 12:59 AM

I've never heard of it JB but it sure received good ratings! Are you going to play it or is it sealed and new?

Ana wave
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/22/07 12:59 AM

JB...

I never heard of it before...Sorry
Posted By: Becky

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/22/07 01:04 AM

Here's a bit more info. And here's even more. It's an older game. Looks intriguing through.
Posted By: JohnBoy

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/22/07 01:23 AM

Hi Ana. It is used and in great condition. Yes I will play it eventually.
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/22/07 01:31 AM

Thanks Becky...

JB the screenshots looks very good...My only problem is that the game was released in 1994 scared Noway will it play on my fussy computer
Posted By: Marian

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/22/07 02:31 AM

I have it. grin I haven't tried to load it up yet but I'm looking forward to it. smile wave

I'm playing a game from 1994 right now--Death Gate. One of the best adventures ever!!! And it plays perfectly in DOSBox on Windows XP. DOSBox is one of the greatest gifts to computer gamers ever! thumbsup

But I digress. whistle

Back to Wrath of the Gods; I believe that it can still be ordered online here:

WRATH OF THE GODS HOMEPAGE

No idea if it's a bear to get running, but you can email the designer from there, and I'm sure he would be willing to answer questions about Windows XP compatibility. smile I'll give it a whirl one of these days and will also try my Windows ME computer. smile
Posted By: Butcher

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/22/07 02:44 AM

Are you running it on compatibility mode?

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/22/07 02:53 AM

I haven't tried to get Wrath of the Gods running yet, Butcher. I'll certainly try compatibility mode when I do. smile
Posted By: nickie

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/22/07 08:08 AM

I've got it too = will have to try it out with XP (keeping fingers crossed). I think I got it after I read about it on this gameboomer thread .
Posted By: sami5901

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/22/07 02:36 PM

I have Wrath of the Gods. It is one of my favorite older games really fun. I've played it several times on one of my older computers. Don't know if it works on xp. Another favorite game of mine is Golden gate. Really worth playing. Don't remember having any trouble playing either of these games. Diane
Posted By: DGirlie

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/22/07 03:51 PM

Hey John Boy~

I played this game several years ago, and it was a kick! But then I collect as many FMV games as I can, so call me crazy, lol. It was cheezy and that made it fun for me. I hope you get a chance to play it and make up your own mind, let us know what you think.

Marci
Posted By: hammer

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/22/07 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Marian
I have it. grin I haven't tried to load it up yet but I'm looking forward to it. smile wave

I'm playing a game from 1994 right now--Death Gate. One of the best adventures ever!!! And it plays perfectly in DOSBox on Windows XP. DOSBox is one of the greatest gifts to computer gamers ever! thumbsup

But I digress. whistle

Back to Wrath of the Gods; I believe that it can still be ordered online here:

WRATH OF THE GODS HOMEPAGE

No idea if it's a bear to get running, but you can email the designer from there, and I'm sure he would be willing to answer questions about Windows XP compatibility. smile I'll give it a whirl one of these days and will also try my Windows ME computer. smile

Agreed, Death Gate is one of the best games I've ever played. And I have Wrath of the Gods as well, but never played it. I wonder if the one they're selling now is the same as the one from 1994 or if it's a reissue...
Posted By: Mad

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/23/07 03:59 AM

Hi smile

All this talk of games like Death Gate will send me rushing to my oldie stack even faster !! lol

They are all SO good thumbsup

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/23/07 11:02 PM

Glad you guys agree that Death Gate is a great game. For anyone else reading this, here's a review of the game:

DEATH GATE REVIEW

I'm just as enthusiastic about this game as Ray. thumbsup
Posted By: metzomagic

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 06/24/07 01:12 PM

Darleen, hi,

Quote:
My only problem is that the game was released in 1994 Noway will it play on my fussy computer

One word: DOSBox

Regards,
MetzO'Magic

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/23/07 03:44 AM

Hi everybody,

I'm bringing this thread back up to the top, to say that I installed Wrath of the Gods on Windows ME today and it's running perfectly. I realize that doesn't answer the big question of whether it runs on Windows XP or not, but it's something, anyway. smile It's NOT a DOS game.

Nickie, the way it looks kind of reminds me of The Crystal Skull, in the sense that what you have is live-action-video people against static backgrounds. I'm enjoying it so far. And, even though you do learn about Greek mythology in a reasonably straightforward manner, it has the same campy feel to it as Crystal Skull and is just slightly goofy. grin

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/23/07 07:24 AM

Thanks Marian - it's moved up in the pile. Campy is a good thing! lol

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/23/07 06:28 PM

Hi smile

The Crystal Skull !!

What a hoot - with all the Americanisms rotfl

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/23/07 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Marian
I'm bringing this thread back up to the top, to say that I installed Wrath of the Gods on Windows ME today and it's running perfectly. I realize that doesn't answer the big question of whether it runs on Windows XP or not, but it's something, anyway. It's NOT a DOS game.

It's a Windows 3.1 game. Some Windows 3.1 games apparently work in DOSBox, but I don't see this one listed.

There is also a Mac version, for some pre-OSX version of MacOS.

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/23/07 09:04 PM

That's very true, Jenny; DOSBox does support Windows 3.1 now, so maybe the game would run that way. I don't know. headscratch

One thing I've been wondering lately is if Panic in the Park would run in DOSBox; that was a Windows 3.1 game, too, and being able to finish it on a later version of Windows requires a hex edit. But further research/information is needed.

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/23/07 11:03 PM

I don't know, Marian. I think using the hex edit would be easier for Panic in the Park, since it seems to be only that one place at the shuffleboard that causes everyone problems. According to this
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405
you need a copy of Windows 3.1 to use a Windows 3.1 game in DOSBox. So it's not like playing a DOS game in DOSBox. It's more like playing a game in Virtual PC, where you have to install the OS you want inside the virtual machine before you can use it.

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/24/07 12:09 AM

Right. I did realize that you need Windows 3.1 to run games in DOSBox, but I certainly didn't make that clear in my note. I haven't tackled that yet (finding Windows 3.1 to install is a plan I have for the future).

Back to Wrath of the Gods--one website where I read a review of the game said it did support Windows NT. So, maybe the game will run in XP. I'll check it out myself one of these days (my XP computer is down for a few days).

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/24/07 03:48 AM

Unlike you, I did not realize that you needed Windows 3.1 to play windows games in DOSBox until I found that Vogons thread I linked to above. I'd heard you could play Windows 3.1 games in DOSBox, but I'd assumed that Windows 3.1 was emulated the way DOS is emulated.

I don't know if Wrath of the Gods will run in XP natively. Let us know the result if you try it.
Posted By: gremlin

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/24/07 06:10 AM

Would I be right in suggesting that running Win95 in a virtual machine (Virtual PC, or VirtualBox under some form of linux) might do quite well with DOS and Windows 3.1 games? Windows 95 is afterall, based upon DOS.

Gremlin

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/24/07 06:16 AM

Hi smile

I'm nearly positive that I played "Panic in the Park" on my Win95 machine ....

But it was many moons ago so I can't swear to it woozy

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/24/07 06:25 PM

Most Win 3.1 games work fine in Windows 95 and 98. Panic in the Park has one place early in the game where it crashes unless you're using Windows 3.1. You can get around the crash by using a simple hex edit and you'll have no further problems with the game.

Mad,
You may have used the hex edit and forgotten about it, since it's been so long ago.

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/24/07 07:53 PM

I am thrilled to say that this installed and is playing without any tweaks whatsoever on my XP (except I changed the color at the game's urging). Didn't need to use the compatibility wizard. You're so right Marian - similar to Crystal Skull in style, and it is cracking me up. "Are you some kind of apprentice hero?" lol

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/24/07 08:22 PM

Hi smile

Jenny100 ....
Well, yes, one of my Sons in Law might have done that for me at the time because I wouldn't known how to do it myself blush

nickie ....
That is brilliant news. And a massive thank you for letting us know !!
Makes me want to play it RIGHT NOW grin

But I must be satisfied with what I already have installed for the moment - and not get too much carried away.
[Prone as I am to such temptation rotfl]

Cheeers.

Mad wave

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/24/07 08:31 PM

lol I know. So many games pleading to be played. Had to drag myself away from Hades, but I was excited to be able to relate some good news. Of course, computers differ so - hope it works for other XPers.

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/24/07 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
nickie ....
That is brilliant news. And a massive thank you for letting us know !!

Yes thanks for letting us know the good news, Nickie.
Now we need someone to test it in Vista. devil

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/25/07 08:32 PM

Hi Nickie!

That's great news about Wrath of the Gods in XP!!

And I'm glad you agree about the campy-feel comparison to Crystal Skull. It gets kind of silly and ludicrous at times but it's also a whole lot of fun. There's that sense of, "We're playing a game here," that just adds to the general atmosphere. grin

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/25/07 11:24 PM

Thanks for reminding me about the game Marian. I had a lot of fun with it! Loved the part with the snake and with Medusa. Not only is it a hoot to play, but it's educational too - what a great way to teach folks about mythology. I wonder if the developers have done anything else gamewise - do you know?

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/26/07 09:39 PM

They don't mention any other games on their website, so it looks like maybe Wrath of the Gods is it, although I don't know for sure. We definitely need more games like it. smile

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/31/07 05:56 AM

Hi smile

I just HAD to install Wrath of the Gods after reading this thread lol and I have it on my WIN95 machine - apparently working perfectly grin

But ....

I don't know what to type when I want to save. It's one of those really old save systems and I have forgotten how they work blush

Can someone (maybe Nickie ?) help me out, please ??

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/31/07 06:35 AM

I had to replay a huge chunk of it because I couldn't figure it out at first either. blush There probably is a simple way, but what I did was change the part in the second block to show it going to the C drive rather than the D drive. Then it accepted me writing in the first block. Does that make sense?

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/31/07 06:43 PM

Hi nickie smile

Guess not !! lol

The game appears to be playing directly from the CD - and my CD Drive on this old WIN95 machine is "E".
I have two other drives - "C" and "D" but can't find any Wrath files in any of them.

If I look at the drive options in that box at the "middle bottom" of the save screen, all three drives DO show but changing to C or D still does not allow me to save. I get a pop-up that says :
"Be sure to save to an unlocked volume."

I actually don't even know what I should type in the "file name" box, either.
Upto now I have tried .... start*.txt .... Is that the right format ??

All I can remember about this old way of saving is that (I think) the name you give to the save can only be 8 letters long ??

I am so dumb !! duh

Do you think you can help ?? Or should I go to the Glitches Board ??

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/31/07 07:15 PM

Quote:
Upto now I have tried .... start*.txt .... Is that the right format ??

Try leaving out the *
When you try to save the game, does it suggest start*.txt or *.txt as a save name?

Quote:
All I can remember about this old way of saving is that (I think) the name you give to the save can only be 8 letters long ??

Yes, probably 8 letters plus the extension (.txt or .sav or whatever), though some old games don't need an extension.

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/31/07 09:33 PM

lol Yes, I would have suggested asking in glitches instead of asking technically inept me - but glitches came to you! Mine asks for a .txt file.

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 07/31/07 11:01 PM

Mad, you are NOT dumb!! and I think I know what the problem is, because this stumped me for a bit too. When it gives that message about the volume problem, look over to the right-hand side of the save screen and you need to change it to your C: drive there; I, too, was trying to change to C: on the bottom, and that didn't work. Then just go ahead and type in a name for your saved game.

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 08/01/07 02:33 AM

Hi All smile

Thanks for the help .... I have managed to save a game and have tested that it works properly.
Changing the drive to C and not putting the * in front of the txt in the save title did the trick bravo

I do have to change the drive every time I launch the game, otherwise I can't see my saves, but that's no big deal grin

However .... One last question, if I'm allowed, please ??

My saves are appearing each as a separate file on Desktop. This could lead to a VERY crowded Desktop if I am allowed unlimited saves lol
So will it be OK if I create a new folder in Win Explorer and move all except the latest save into it - at the end of each play session ??

Your help is much appreciated thanks

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 08/02/07 03:36 AM

That should work. If it doesn't, you can always put them back.

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 08/02/07 04:30 AM

Hi Jenny100 smile

Thanks !! I'll give it a go grin

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 08/02/07 05:50 AM

Are you enjoying the game Mad?

Re: Wrath of the Gods - 08/02/07 06:08 AM

Hi nickie smile

Yes, I am !! It is so reminiscent of early graphic adventuring.
And, as with The Crystal Skull, Americanisms abound lol

I can report, too, that moving the saved games from Desktop to a "created" folder - apart from the latest save - works wonderfully bravo

Cheers.

Mad wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community