GB HOMEPAGE

British Academy Video Games Awards 2007!

Posted By: Carla

British Academy Video Games Awards 2007! - 06/22/07 11:55 AM

I think that's quite important for the game industry and all us gamers:
Quote:
"The decision by BAFTA to make computer games its 'third arm' is overdue endorsement of a genre that has struggled for artistic recognition..... If recognition by BAFTA helps the industry to raise its game, then it will soon be accepted without dispute." Mark Brown, The Guardian

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts is the UK's leading organisation dedicated to the recognition and promotion of excellence in the fields of the moving image. Renowned for its high profile Film and Television Awards ceremonies, the prestigious BAFTA mask has long been seen as a symbol of excellence.

The Academy is now committed to the development of the contemporary art form of video games, and to lending equal weight to its British Academy Video Games Awards as that given to film and television.

Following last year's spectacular ceremony, this year's Awards will take place on Tuesday 23 October at Battersea Evolution in Battersea Park."

You can visit the official site HERE
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: British Academy Video Games Awards 2007! - 06/22/07 01:17 PM

Thanks Carla..does this mean anyone can vote?

Ana wave
Posted By: Becky

Re: British Academy Video Games Awards 2007! - 06/22/07 01:19 PM

I would think this would speed up the acceptance of video games as an art form. It'll be interesting to see how this group judges a game's artistic merit -- will the judges look for the same things that game reviewers look for? Or will there be a whole new "take" on what makes a game a winner?
Posted By: Butcher

Re: British Academy Video Games Awards 2007! - 06/22/07 03:19 PM

Hopefully this help remove the image some people have that video games increase violence amongst youngsters, thanks for the news.
Posted By: Carla

Re: British Academy Video Games Awards 2007! - 06/22/07 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Ana wave

Unfortunately not,Ana.
You can propose yourself to vote, there is an online form to fill but you must explain your position and why you think you could be a "judge".
Wouldn't it be nice if someone from GB would apply?
Posted By: nickie

Re: British Academy Video Games Awards 2007! - 06/22/07 07:54 PM

Thanks Carla, that is surely good news for the gaming industry. That's an interesting question Becky - I can think of several games that were artful but not especially fun to play.
Posted By: Mad

Re: British Academy Video Games Awards 2007! - 06/23/07 03:53 AM

Hi smile

"will the judges look for the same things that game reviewers look for? Or will there be a whole new "take" on what makes a game a winner?"

How refreshing if the latter !!!! Then games other than Shooters might get a look in thumbsup

Fingers crossed whistle

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: fov

Re: British Academy Video Games Awards 2007! - 06/24/07 11:45 PM

The entry fees are reasonable, which is nice. For DICE (the big game awards in the states) it costs a few thousand dollars to enter plus you need to be a member of the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences, which shuts out a lot of indie developers.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: British Academy Video Games Awards 2007! - 06/25/07 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Carla
Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Ana wave

Wouldn't it be nice if someone from GB would apply?

It would be great, and I nominate MaG puppy
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: British Academy Video Games Awards 2007! - 06/25/07 12:34 AM

I second that L4L. happydance
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: British Academy Video Games Awards 2007! - 06/25/07 07:45 PM

I third That .... thumbsup
Posted By: Becky

Re: British Academy Video Games Awards 2007! - 06/25/07 11:20 PM

MaG, it would be so much fun to see you do this! bravo
Posted By: MaG

Re: British Academy Video Games Awards 2007! - 06/26/07 12:07 AM