GB HOMEPAGE

Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking!

Posted By: Carla

Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/13/07 03:50 PM

I couldn't believe my eyes today when I went to the Microids Site and I found that is alive again!
Not a lot to look at for the moment,but I think is an excellent good start, and maybe we can start hoping for the 3rd and last installment of the saga started with Post Mortem and Still Life...
Fingers crossed!
A bit of information about Microids:
Quote:
Microïds was founded in 1985 by Elliot Grassiano. For the first 10 years, Microïds were a development house, but in 1995 they expanded into publishing and distribution as well[2].

In 2003, Emmanuel Olivier created a new company called MC2. The aim of this was to fuse with, and aid Microïds, whom at that point in time were in bankruptcy.

In September 2003 MC2-Microïds acquired Wanadoo Edition. This was a part of Microïds moving out of a bankruptcy protection by the French government. From this deal, Wanadoo also became a 12% shareholder of Microïds[3].

In March 2005 Ubisoft acquired MC2-Microïds (Microïds Canada) and integrated it into Ubisoft's Montreal studios [4]. This deal only consisted of MC2-Microïds fifty employees and technical equipment and did not contain any Intellectual property[5].Following the Ubisoft/MC2 deal, Microïds would no longer be developing games, and would simply continue as a game publisher.

In April 2007, MC2 announced that they were working on Dracula 3 with Kheops Studio. In June 2007, MC2-Microids announced that they were working on a game called Nostradamus - The Last Prophecy. This game is due for release in the third quarter of 2007 and set in the 16th century

wave
Posted By: texaslady

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 07/13/07 03:59 PM

That's splendid news Carla! Thanks for telling us.

Sue wave
Posted By: Butcher

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 07/13/07 04:23 PM

Oustanding news indeed, thanks Carla for the news update! Some of my favourite games were developed by Microids.
Posted By: MaG

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 07/13/07 04:41 PM

Thanks for the very informative news, Carla!
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 07/13/07 08:45 PM

WOW..I thought they were long gone..

Good Info

Thanks Carla monky
Posted By: Mad

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 07/14/07 01:45 AM

Hi smile

Thanks for the news, Carla thumbsup

Be really great if we can get Microids games again sometime cool

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: danyboy

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 07/14/07 02:16 AM

Great news thanks Carla!

CU

danyboy smile

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 07/14/07 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Hi smile

Thanks for the news, Carla thumbsup

Be really great if we can get Microids games again sometime cool

Cheers.

Mad wave

I second that, i would love a Still Life 2.
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 07/14/07 09:02 AM

That is great news Carla. Thanks for the update.

Cathy
Posted By: bermag45

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 07/14/07 12:39 PM

Well spotted Carla - thanks for the info thumbsup

Bernie monky
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/14/07 01:48 PM

I am curious about this sentence...
Quote:
This deal only consisted of MC2-Microïds fifty employees and technical equipment and did not contain any Intellectual property

If by "Intellectual property" do they mean the rights to such games as, Syberia and Still Life, then who holds these rights?

Carla you wouldn't by chance have a link to this site would you?
Posted By: Becky

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/14/07 02:43 PM

GreyFuss -- the site link is here.

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/14/07 03:06 PM

Thank you Becky.

I see that it looks as if they have the rights to distribute Syberia, Still Life and Amerzone but curiously missing is Syberia 2 which I think XS Games has the PC distribution rights.

I am anxiously waiting for more information. Are they just a new distribution company or are they going into development and making games also? I hope the latter is true and the acquiring of the rights to continue the roles of Kate Walker and Victoria McPhearson.

Posted By: Singer

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/14/07 03:20 PM

They aren't even a new distribution company. The development studio called Microïds Canada (the one that made Syberia, Still Life, etc.) closed down, but the parent French company MC2-Microids remained functional as a publisher and kept all the intellectual properties that it owned (namely, all the games Microids Canada made). And yes, GreyFuss, your interpretation of IP is correct. So the only thing that's apparently changed hasn't really changed, except that MC2-Microids (who existed all along) has become involved in publishing games again.

I'd never say never, but there's really no reason to think that Microids will start developing games of their own again. It's a big jump from being a distribution partner to funding an entire development studio and making new games. Of course, they could always outsource develoment if they wanted, since they do hold the original IP's. Still, I think it's more likely that they'll limit themselves to distributing in the foreseeable future.
Posted By: Becky

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/14/07 03:27 PM

Hi Singer! Thanks for the info. thumbsup

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/14/07 03:36 PM

Thank you Singer
Posted By: Carrie

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/14/07 03:39 PM

Thanks Carla.. after taking a look at the Microids site --and seeing "Nostradamus: Last Prophecy"-- (& viewing GB Latest & Upcoming for this game) I added another game to my BAAGS list .
Posted By: Singer

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/14/07 03:49 PM

Confusing, isn't it? crazy I'm not even sure I have the details precisely right, but that's the gist. The similar names makes a mess of understanding things, but on a practical level, it's easiest to consider Microids Canada a branch of MC2-Microids, and while the branch shut down, the head office did not. The head office still owns everything, and has started to be more active again. The development branch is still gone, though.

I know a lot of people most want to see a Still Life sequel, but really MC2-Microids becoming an active distributor is huge news in itself. They're bringing Nostradamus and Dracula 3 to North America, and Sinking Island to the U.S. That's not too shabby for a re-emergence on the scene. smile
Posted By: sierramindy

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/14/07 07:31 PM

Hi GreyFuss,
I'm with you as I would like to see Kate and Victoria again, too. They were both such great characters to play! This is the biggest reason why I like third person adventure games. And when I miss someone after playing a game, I know I have just played a great game!
Posted By: bouv mama

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/14/07 08:45 PM

Thank you, Carla,Becky,Singer and all, This sounds wonderful, especially Nostradamus. My BAAGS pile just got bigger again.
Marion
Posted By: deelberger

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/15/07 02:32 AM

Phenomenal news...I just finished Still Life tonight...LOVED IT! by the way, does anyone have a guess who the killer is/was?

Thanks for the update!

Dee

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/15/07 02:40 AM

Dee,

Do a search in the archived adventure games forum and see different opinions about the Still Life ending and the killer. Thanks.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/15/07 02:46 AM

Dee, you can see some Discussion on the ending HERE.

EDIT: Hi MaG...I was too slow. lol

Ana wave
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/15/07 02:47 AM

Well....
Basically I don't care who takes up what, or who owns what, or who will develop what,..As long as they make the same games as before thumbsup
Posted By: gamenut

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 07/15/07 03:55 AM

I enjoyed Still Life and hope sequel out soon...and looking forward as well to the Dracula title!
Posted By: DaveHT

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 07/15/07 02:12 PM

this is great news!

i missed MC2-Microïds. they make very good game with great graphics. i am glad to hear about the dracula sequel too!
Posted By: Tracy

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 07/15/07 04:14 PM

Great news. I loved their games and the idea of a Dracula 3 game is awesome!

Thanks so much for posting this--it's always great to hear that a company is coming back to life. smile

Cat
Posted By: MARYBIL

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 08/10/07 09:13 PM

Just finished Still Life and can't wait for the 3rd installment of the Post Mortem trilogy.
Posted By: GBC

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 08/11/07 11:51 AM

Boy would I also Ilike to see a continuing role of Kate Walker or Victoria McPhearson.

Re: Microids Site Still Alive and Kicking! - 08/12/07 06:15 PM

Yeah unfortunately for both characters it's almost certain that we will not be seeing them again.
Posted By: Barry

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 08/13/07 01:04 AM

Could somone please supply a link to the site? Thanks
Regards to All,
Barry

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 08/13/07 01:08 AM

Barry,

Are you asking about Microids and not the link to the games discussed in the thread?

If so - Microids
Posted By: Barry

Re: Microids site still alive and kicking! - 08/13/07 03:05 AM

Thanks MaG, it was the Microids site I was looking for.

Warm Regards,
Barry
© 2024 GameBoomers Community