GB HOMEPAGE

Boxes

Posted By: Bettyboop

Boxes - 08/08/07 03:33 PM

How do y'all store the boxes from games? Do you keep them as they are or do you discard the cardboard inserts & flatten the boxes? duh I want to keep mine but they take up soooo much space. I just wanted to see how everyone else solved this problem.
Posted By: BeaSong

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 03:36 PM

Some I toss, some I flatten and stack up along with books on the book shelf, next to the games.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 03:48 PM

I keep them as they are and store them on bookshelves. I am however, out of room lol
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 03:55 PM

I'm going to move you to Discussions since I know how passionate many get over their boxes. Almost as much as their games. lol

Ana wave
Posted By: sami5901

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 05:06 PM

I keep all mine in the box. I have shelves and games stacked to the ceiling in my bedroom. It's like sleeping in a game vault. I wonder what will happen to all my games when I'm gone? No one else in my family plays them. Diane
Posted By: Mary

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 05:22 PM

Unfortunately, I have to fold them up or I'd need to buy another house! smile
Posted By: JohnBoy

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 05:28 PM

I break them down and store them in storage boxes. I keep the manuals in small plastic crates. I do not throw away the cardboard support. I also fold them and store them with the box. I do throw away all advertisements and registration cards that come with the game. I will however keep gaming catalogs if the game comes with one.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 05:35 PM

JB, I never expected you to be one to breakdown the boxes. lol I pictured you keeping them all intact, alphabetized in larger storage boxes. I need to reprogram my brain now.

Ana kissy
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 05:42 PM

I always keep all original packaging..In case I want to trade
them off... grin
Posted By: butterflybabe

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 05:52 PM

I keep the game intact: instructions, discs, box, etc. But I don't keep replaying the games. Once I'm done, I move them on to someone else. The only game 'piles' I have stored now are the ones I'm done with and the ones I have yet to play! puppy
Posted By: Ellimay

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 05:52 PM

I don't mean to sound stupid . But, why would one keep the boxes.??? And trade the games. Just a question.wave

So the boxes become valueable down the road, if you are a collector?
Posted By: birddog

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 05:54 PM

What a great question, BettyBoop. I used to throw out the boxes, now I keep them and everything it came with. When I know I won't play them again for a while I put them in colored storage boxes on top of my bookshelf in computer room.

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 05:58 PM

I love the art work on the boxes kool just to look at them. Also if I were to sell or trade any I would want everything to be intact. I guess everybody has different intrests for things I just happen to be a game saver nut. LOL Diane
Posted By: bouv mama

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 06:30 PM

I keep the boxes in bookshelves-soon I will have to do something about that but a lot of traders want the boxes. I told one chap that the corner of the box had a little blemish ( where the sticker was) and he cancelled the trade.
Marion
Posted By: Becky

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 06:39 PM

I keep them in a big box in the garage if the game is rare, or if I have a reason to believe the game will somebody be rare.

The way I tell if a game may someday be rare is if it is a very good game, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be selling very well.
Posted By: Bettyboop

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 06:50 PM

Not a stupid question----I just like the art work on them plus there is allot of info about the game on the back on the box. I just moved & don't have the room that I did before. I had never thought about breaking down the inserts [TY- John Boy] idea
Now I just have to get it all done. Not a collector for the $$'s I just can't bring myself to get rid of any of my games.
Posted By: Jenny

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: sami5901
I keep all mine in the box. I have shelves and games stacked to the ceiling in my bedroom. It's like sleeping in a game vault. I wonder what will happen to all my games when I'm gone? No one else in my family plays them. Diane

My situation exactly, Diane--with the exception that now that the grandkids are grown I have a spare bedroom that we call the "computer room". As one of my kids said "we might as well call it the game room!" lol

As for what they'll do with them when I'm gone, I guess that will be their problem! I've told them about the Trading Post, so if they are smart they'll put them up for sale there. Also one of my sons does a lot on eBay, so that option is open to them too, and I'm just not going to worry about it... devil
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Bettyboop
How do y'all store the boxes from games? Do you keep them as they are or do you discard the cardboard inserts & flatten the boxes? duh I want to keep mine but they take up soooo much space. I just wanted to see how everyone else solved this problem.

I never throw anything out (unless it's really gross and smelly).
Most of my game boxes are in bookshelves, but a lot of them are stacked up or strewn about the floor.

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 07:59 PM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't part with the games. I can't wait until I get the last of the greatgrand kids out of the spare room. Then it will be Heaven. My very own room for games and computers stacked to the ceiling and wall to wall. LOL Diane
Posted By: kazzmo

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 08:13 PM

To me the boxes are a part of the game. I never throw away a box unless the person I sell or trade to does not want the box. I have shelves fron floor to ceiling in a spare bedroom and and they are displayed like books. I made a mistake once and threw my boxes away and it took forever to buy them back and I am still missing a few.

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 09:20 PM

WooHooo!!!!!!! Us GameBoomers rock LOL The more games the merrier. The one with the most Games Win LOL Diane
Posted By: The Haze

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 11:17 PM

blush I only have about 30 games that I consider "Keepers" (Games that I've played more than once and will play again). I know that it's silly, but I have the boxes to all but three of them and am constantly looking to buy these three again just so I'll then have the boxes for all of them.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Boxes - 08/08/07 11:34 PM

For years, I kept everything, including the box. Then, a couple of years ago, I realized that if I didn't do something, I would be piling up games in the bathtub. lol So I bought a CD rack that holds 500 jewel-case games, put many in that, and flattened and saved the boxes. I'll be all right now providing I don't buy any more games. Somehow, I see trouble ahead. whistle
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Boxes - 08/09/07 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: looney4labs
I keep them as they are and store them on bookshelves. I am however, out of room lol

Ditto!!! rotfl
Posted By: Butcher

Re: Boxes - 08/09/07 06:17 AM

I got a bigger office with much more space smile
Posted By: PolloDiablo

Re: Boxes - 08/09/07 07:28 AM

Here's another box-enthusiast. laugh
Unfortunately, most games in Europe come in DVD-cases. Which are, ofcourse, much easier to store, but far less pretty to look at when they are on my shelves after playing. Whenever I am in New Zealand, I tend to buy as many games in boxes I can find, even if I already own that game in a DVDcase. When buying secondhand games, boxes and manuals are important to me, they add value.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Boxes - 08/09/07 10:30 AM

Hi smile

I love boxes - especially the big old ones bravo

I have a mixture though. Some games are in boxes, some in DVD cases and some in just jewel cases.

The ones in boxes sit on my shelves where I can see them at all times happydance

The rest are in various "containers" designed for storage with easy access and are dotted around on top of cupboards etc in my tiny computer den grin

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: Koalanut

Re: Boxes - 08/09/07 04:07 PM

Oh boy, I soooo have to show this thread to my hubby....

I have kept my games in a CD bookcase in our bedroom, alphabetized of course. I took them out of the box when the boxes were so huge, and stored boxes of some of them in the garage.

But as boxes became smaller, and my son moved out, and then my daughter wanted his room and then went to college, I got to have my computer room, but really a game room.

So I have the old games in the same CD bookcase, but got a big bookcase for my games, and even got a new desk on sale real cheap early this summer to store more games and computer stuff.

But hubby thought I was probably the ONLY one that stored, alphabetized, made lists, etc of games. lol

Koalanut
Posted By: SnickersMom

Re: Boxes - 08/10/07 05:59 AM

I didn't realize so many of you keep your games to play over and over. I do the same thing. I have games every where, in boxes, on shelves, in a filing cabinet. I've decided I'm going to take the bed out of the spare bedroom and put my games on shelves where I can see them. Of course I have to convince my Hubby to agree with me. Tomorrows my birthday so I'm going to discuss it with him then and maybe he will agree. Wish me luck. smile

SnickersMom
Posted By: PolloDiablo

Re: Boxes - 08/10/07 06:52 AM

Happy birthday and good luck with your quest for shelves SnickersMom laugh
Posted By: Karsten

Re: Boxes - 08/10/07 11:47 AM

I love boxes, too smile I like the boxes for Syberia and also the boxes for Gothic 3 and NWN2's Collector's Edition. And the dvd case for Jade Empire SE simply blows me away. Nice steel metal case with the text 'jade empire' heightened a bit. It is sheer joy to touch this case. Sadly frown - the old boxes are now long gone. But this means I can stack many more games on my shelves, so this is good thing, I suppose...

Posted By: Rushes

Re: Boxes - 08/10/07 03:07 PM

Oh boy, am I the lone dissenting voice here? lol I always grumble when a game comes with a bulky box, because for one thing, it means that it can't fit through my letterbox, so I have to make a trip to the post office to collect it. razz And THEN, it threatens to take up wayyyy too much space on my bookshelf - and I don't have that much room to start with! I much prefer DVD style casing.
Posted By: Carrie

Re: Boxes - 08/10/07 03:53 PM

If I were so inclined, I'd make a 3-inch deep frame/shelf & display all the boxes butted up against each other to make a big piece of art. The games could still be taken down to play. A huge collection could line an entire wall this way... boxart wallpaper. But I'm not anymore... ('so inclined').

I save everything: Boxes & all the inserts... makes it interesting to look into the box of an oldie, esp when there's a catalog showcasing all the 'new' games of the day. They're mostly on a tall shelf... and scattered in nooks & crannies around my computer too. Still a manageable amount.

Good question BettyBoop !
Posted By: Sassafras

Re: Boxes - 08/10/07 06:52 PM

I'm with you Rushes! I have no use for boxes. If it's a game I want to keep I toss it - otherwise I only keep them for trading! I wouldn't care if every game came in a paper sleeve cause all I want is to be able to play it!

I much prefer the dvd cases as well.
Posted By: ces

Re: Boxes - 08/10/07 07:07 PM

I throw away the boxes - I don't even keep the manuals anymore - so many games' manuals are on the game cd. I also throw away the jewel case. I put the game cd in those little white envelopes and store them in a plastic case designed to hold cd's.

And I hate all that extraneous stuff they also put in the box!
Posted By: SnickersMom

Re: Boxes - 08/11/07 12:00 AM

Thank you for the b-day wishes PolloDiablo. Hubby agreed with me and I'm going to have room for my games. Now its just getting in there and getting it done. smile
Donna
Posted By: flotsam

Re: Boxes - 08/11/07 12:11 AM

Gotta have the boxes - its just not the same otherwise. Side by side on the bookcases, shelfs, cupboards... I have banned from using anymore space though. cry
© 2024 GameBoomers Community