GB HOMEPAGE

Amber: Journeys Beyond

Posted By: Cassiopeia

Amber: Journeys Beyond - 11/11/07 05:05 AM

Hi everyone! Those of us who've been playing adventure games for awhile probably remember this awesome (though sadly short) ghost game. It's definitely one of my two fave games ever, right up there with Planescape Torment!

My question is, has anyone ever managed to get AJB to run on Windows XP? I've still got the game and I'm jonesing to play it, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do so unless you've got an old computer handy. Which I don't frown

Also, does anyone know how I can find out who now owns the rights to this game? The website that is given in the manual is no longer in operation, and I can't find any info about the company that made it (they seem to not exist any more).

TIA to anyone who can help here!
Posted By: Barry

Re: Amber: Journeys Beyond - 11/11/07 05:16 AM

Hi Cassiopeia
This game has proven to be one of those that will not run in XP no matter what. There've been many attempts to get it to play but none have been successful. You can try downloading Windows Virtual PC install Win 98 in it and play from there.

Regards,
Barry
Posted By: Becky

Re: Amber: Journeys Beyond - 11/11/07 05:23 AM

Hi Cassiopeia, and welcome to GameBoomers! welcome

I'm not sure who owns the rights to the game. Maybe another member who knows more of the game's history will be able to let us know.

There's also more info about the game here on Wikipedia.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Amber: Journeys Beyond - 11/11/07 06:52 PM

The husband-and-wife team who created this game now live in either North or South Carolina (can't remember which). Someone I know contacted them a while back, wondering if they would be interested in creating any more adventure games; sadly, they were both a bit bitter about the gaming industry and their personal experience with it and weren't interested in trying to do so. I agree that Amber was very well done. smile wave
Posted By: Sally(MG)

Re: Amber: Journeys Beyond - 11/11/07 07:08 PM

Hi Cassiopeia,

There's a faq over at Quandryland for setting up Virtual PC 2004. It's a pretty extensive tutorial, and if you still have your old 95/98 discs sitting around, you should be able to follow the instructions without problems.

I had to do this myself to get Elderscrolls Adventures running, and once you've installed it you can get all your old 95/98 games to work.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Amber: Journeys Beyond - 11/11/07 07:11 PM

Thanks SAlly, Steve is also a member here and the tutorial is on the top of the Glitches Forum right here at GameBoomers.

Ana wave
© 2024 GameBoomers Community