GB HOMEPAGE

Culpa crash

Posted By: challis3

Culpa crash - 11/13/07 02:22 AM

GRRRRR- I have been playing and enjoying the game for over a week- got very close to the end and CRASH- booted me right out of the game. I'm pretty sure it's because I ended up taking a non-linear path but still it's very frustrating. My last save was about three hours of gameplay ago so I won't be finishing it. A word to the wise- SAVE YOUR GAME OFTEN!!
Posted By: gatorlaw

Re: Culpa crash - 11/13/07 02:35 AM

Challis3

Taking a non linear path through Culpa is the only way - as that is how it is built.

However, we have been talking to various gamers and testing a patch for some random crashes - please send us your last saved game and system specs to

culpasupport@momentum-dmt.com

we built Culpa Innata to be VERY non linear and despite testing across 5 countries etc well it is still not possible to foresee all configs and systems. But we are deep into working with people to get their games going.

So talk to us!

Thanks, ahead of time smile
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Culpa crash - 11/13/07 02:56 AM

Hi gatorlaw ...

I had a few crashes also....But I learn how to get around them..

I kept crashing when I went to talk to that one stupid girl in the Thing shop...I can't recall the name....so I stay away from her lol

Posted By: challis3

Re: Culpa crash - 11/13/07 03:08 AM

Hi Laura- I knew I was in trouble a little before the crash when Sandra kept talking about how bad my makeup was-when I didn't have any on! Unfortunately I have already uninstalled the game, but I will send and email detailing the crash.
Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: Culpa crash - 11/13/07 04:20 PM

I only experienced one "crash" to the desktop and don't remember now just where it was - I think I was trying to analyze or do something on Phoenix's computer and all of a sudden it was just 'gone'. I DID however experience one strange phenomonon that made me laugh = I was in front of one building in the business district (I seem to recall) and she would not enter as she was done there so I decided to walk around the area and look at posters etc (this AFTER I did the Chaos poster/kiosk puzzle) and all of a sudden 'nix was walking and running BACKWARDS! very very strange behavior and I could NOT get her to walk forwards, like I mean when I clicked for her to walk left she was already facing that way but swung around and walked that way BACKWARDS! It did not stop me from going where I was allowed to go but looked funny - and this did not occur anywhere else - so I did not bother to go to "glitches" to post it, just went on with my game.....can't believe it may be why I am so stuck now, can't do anything but go home and sleep or meet with Sondra....waiting, waiting, waiting for something to happen so I can go to the Metro tunnels. (and I was soooooo enjoying this one and thought I was being a 'good detective/investigator'!)
Love, Betty Lou
Posted By: LindaMarion

Re: Culpa crash - 11/13/07 05:40 PM

Why is there so many crashes and troubles with this game?
I saw also on other adventures forum that there are many troubles. Is it good to play it?

Re: Culpa crash - 11/14/07 12:54 AM

Well there are actually as many and actually a good deal more players (here, at JA and around the web) who had no crashes, and I can tell you we tested Culpa both ways and back through 5 countires.

It is just with such a demanding logic code and intricate story through the gameplay with every OS from W98, 2000, XP and now vista plus a host (make that a google) of varied graphic cards, mouse drivers etc it is impossible to foresee all possible system configs.

We have a new patch coming out end of this week that addresses this rare but when it hits persistent random crash issue (It is a direct draw windows issue) and also due to popular request we re making it possible to have sub titles for all the one liners or monolog comments in the game.

But give us a try smile I can promise there are few developers that want gamers to have as a great experience than us, we are not only developers but long time adventure gaming players. For example the new patch we created in direct contact with the few gamers who were having system issues with our game, we sent patches to them personally got the patches tested and further feedback. Building a game for PC is frought with a lot more difficulties than designing for consoles with one build, one system one set of game technical parameters.

We built a game we wanted to play. No action, no timed puzzles just deep story, great challenge and interesting story deep characters smile

Posted By: BubbaJake

Re: Culpa crash - 11/14/07 06:56 AM

I found that the only times Culpa crashes is any time I try to experiment with the items in the inventory, namely, if I try to use something somewhere or someway I guess it's not meant. Some items I have no idea what they should be used for and so that's when the game crashes to desktop.
Posted By: auntiegram

Re: Culpa crash - 11/14/07 12:17 PM

Only just starting this game and when I was at the Pyrimid area I did encounter one crash so far. It said that the game had encountered a problem and had to shut down duh At least I wasn't far from a save at the time. :LOL:

Nan

Re: Culpa crash - 11/14/07 12:47 PM

BubbaJake..

Quote:
I found that the only times Culpa crashes is any time I try to experiment with the items in the inventory...

That is exactly the direct draw issue we were able to diagnose. Not to get too techie, but the specifics are below:

Quote:
The new patch is expected to be out for people the end of this week. (also will come with or include the new monolog sub-title enablement]

This patch fixes a rare system-game issue, which can result in random game crashes. These crashes occur primarily while interfacing with the PA inventory screen when clicking a great deal between items in view, use and examine mode. The issue arises due to incompatibility between certain graphics card drivers and the Windows DirectX optimized functionality.

The fix ensures compatibility between the graphics hardware, graphics driver and DirectX in a wide spectrum of PC configurations, including the reported ones.

But this is why we set up our own direct support contact. It isn't a question of IF issues with all those possible systems and the interaction with your game code, it is more a question of WHICH config will pop up to have a conflict. We believe the real answer is to have instant contact with gamers, take an aggressive approach to diagnosing the conflict and get fixes out there fast.

The only way to guarantee no conflict will ever arise is to build for consoles (all systems are identical so no conflicts or glitches should come up) or build very very simplistic small scale games, with bare minimum effects and graphics, to increase the odds of no conflict with directX, mouse drivers, etc and windows based programs.

So we have a direct pipeline for gamers - to us set up. Send us ANY woes, saved games, system specs and we WILL work directly with you to get your game rolling smoothly on YOUR system.

Posted By: metamorphium

Re: Culpa crash - 11/14/07 02:03 PM

wow. This is completely unique support! Kudos to you and Momentum for such a great and unparalleled care for customers. I can confirm that my friend, whom I talked into buying Culpa (I guess holding razor blade on his neck helped there) sent a savegame and recieved soon custom build which fixed his issue. In such a huge game as Culpa is, this deserves a huge respect. praise
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Culpa crash - 11/14/07 02:13 PM

I have to agree metamorphium, the Culpa Team is awesome!

Special thanks to Gatorlaw for her vigilance in getting things done! praise

Ana wave
Posted By: gaily

Re: Culpa crash - 11/14/07 03:49 PM

I played and finished Culpa and found it to be a very engaging and indepth game. I did not experience crashes, but because it is such a BIG game, I cleared out some extra disc space before installing.As I was playing it I found myself favorably comparing this game to TLJ 1. I was a bit disappointed in the ending, but maybe that has to do with my own non-linear path to the end.
Click to reveal..
While I wrapped up the case successfully, I felt that Phoenix's internal struggles with the whole new order government's mode of operation and the fate of the earth in relation to the sun etc. were sadly not addressed.
Maybe that is being left for sequels or something, but I would have liked to have had a hint of that if so.
I think that it is really cool that the Gatorlaw and the developers are so attentive to us gamers and I appreciate their earnest efforts to assist with any problems!Hopefully this is a new trend.
Posted By: GeeGee

Re: Culpa crash - 11/14/07 08:58 PM

I am just starting this game too - have failed that indian man for immigration and am at start of Day 2. I see from your earlier post that the patch will also include sub-titles for ALL dialogue. I am quite hard-of-hearing and will really, really appreciate this part of the patch. broccoli Will keep watching for this patch - you say it will be ready by the end of this week? Thanks so much. smile Cheers wave
Posted By: Heidi

Re: Culpa crash - 11/14/07 11:13 PM

I played this game and experienced no crashes. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a game as much as this one.
And for the first time did not need a walkthrough to help me along. Can't wait for another game from this company.

Re: Culpa crash - 11/15/07 01:28 AM

Wow thanks Ana and hi everyone smile

I have to say that I am just one part of a great team, and there are many unsung (shy) and quiet heroes in all this work to help gamers with Culpa. So bravo Momentum team and Burak Barmanbek in particular. smile

Gaily and Heidi, glad you had such a good time playing Culpa. Everyone at Momentum is lurking and reading all your comments, the guys are a bit shy - but your thoughts mean so much.

Meta, sending you slingshot for future use of logically convincing people on how much nicer their life would be with Culpa AND GitS. *point is* rocks are easier to find and a good rock is always nice to have on hand wink

As for our curb side service, well if we thought would be a google woes coming in - likely would have just thrown away the game. help But as we suspected, it hasn't been that many - but ANY conflicts to us are too many. People have the right to get a game, play it and enjoy themselves without battling config woes.

Last but hardly least, GeeGee (nice to meet you also) - if bringing you sub titles for the monolog lines makes your gameplay sweeter, than the update is definitely worth it to us.

smile

Posted By: oldmariner

Re: Culpa crash - 11/15/07 04:24 AM

Just to add that I had no crashes. Often I have to turn off my anti-virus for some games, not all. With Culpa the difference was I had to shut off my firewall ( zone alarm ). Of course that automatically required I disconnect from the net when firewall is off. This is the only game I have ever played where the firewall had an impact. With Zone Alarm on if I tried to open the game the initial screen would load (black) Zone alarm would fire up a warning about a program trying to access resourses offering ( yes-no options ) the game would close before I could answer the firewall. It was consistent so I just shut off ZA unplugged the net and played the game. Not an issue for me but Gator may be interested.
Posted By: metamorphium

Re: Culpa crash - 11/15/07 09:06 AM

Originally Posted By: gatorlaw
Wow thanks Ana and hi everyone smile
Meta, sending you slingshot for future use of logically convincing people on how much nicer their life would be with Culpa AND GitS. *point is* rocks are easier to find and a good rock is always nice to have on hand wink

A rock, there’s so few of these around. But I could use this so I’ll pick it up.

Re: Culpa crash - 11/15/07 12:45 PM

laugh

Hey! My faithful rock, I'm going to keep it.

Re: Culpa crash - 11/15/07 03:36 PM

Gatorlaw - that is great news about sub-titles for the monologues being included in the patch!! bravo yay Will watch for it anxiously. Will I need to start the game all over? If so, will stop and re-do from beginning. Let me know pls. Thanks again! Cheers wave

Re: Culpa crash - 11/15/07 04:08 PM

That's a good question Mad

I know all our patches work through the .exe file and don;t affect saved games (other than if you have been having problems with playback etc that will stop LOL)

I would think that you could start over if you wanted to "see" the sub-titles for earlier Phoenix comments. But that if not - you could continue your game and the difference would be smoother playing and now newly triggered comments would have sub titles also to see. smile

Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: Culpa crash - 11/15/07 05:33 PM

Question #1 - did anyone else experience Phoenix walking/running backwards anywhere in the outdoor 'parks'?
Question #2 - I finally came to realize/understand that I should have been checking my diary for hints of what I might have missed, and found 3 items still 'in the red'. However, I have now cleared up 2 of them and finished the game. The third one has to do with getting clearance from the boss to access the Military Database and while it is still in red at the end of my game, I know I finished up this 'task'....if I hadn't I would still be able to go to the Military facility and talk to the girlfriend of the pilot, and it is 'greyed out' on my navigation map. How come?
Question #3 - Is my assumption or impression at the end that there will be a sequel to this right or wrong?
Click to reveal..
There may be more criminal cases Phoenix uncovers in her pursuit of the killer in Russia where she is to work with their police to capture him - and then there is the question she should be asking herself, namely - did she dream her underground meeting with the Grandmaster or did it really happen? What was real and what was 'virtual reality'?

I found this game to be most engrossing, have not found myself this sucked in by a lot of games that I end up feeling good about, but there a just a couple/few that make me want MORE, MORE, MORE! 4 I can think of off the top of my head = Culpa Innata, Dragonriders of Pern, Daemonica, oh and Around The World In 80 Days, keep up the good work Gaterlaw and Momentum. ..... broccoli tomato devilchili yay happydance
Love, Betty Lou

Re: Culpa crash - 11/15/07 06:34 PM

Thanks Betty Lou smile

Actually red items are things you have as possibilities to do. Some are game essential meaning you will get to them one way or another to get to "an ending" others are choices you make as a player.

You can miss a lot of things that are open to do in the course of your game and it doesn't stop you from finishing the game.

for example. I have now started asking gamers...

and OOPS I had a significant typo in the spoiler - edited and corrected...

Click to reveal..
If anyone managed to see the piano man at cafe rose smile There are a LOT of ways through Culpa Innata. for example among other things, it is possible to finish the game and never meet Roget Arnett, see the underground (and folks) and a lot of other things.

If you finished the game, then anything left undone was passed by and the nav map grayed it out, it is because at a later point in your game, you have made your choices and that item, person place or event is no longer available. But again, you aren't punished and never prevented from reaching the end to your chosen path through the game ever.

But perhaps if you miss too many interesting side events or people it might be worth a replay later on. smile

we wanted to make a game that could be replayed, where choices make a difference, but making them never stopped your game cold or resulted in dead ends.

Re: Culpa crash - 11/15/07 06:56 PM

Thanks Gatorlaw for explaining the use of the patch for the monologues. Will probably carry on as I did get most of her comments by turning up the sound.:) This game looks really good and I am working my way through things. Interesting to see comments from other players etc. Will most likely replay this game as it has many options. Thanks again wave
Posted By: MaG

Re: Culpa crash - 11/15/07 11:28 PM

Gatorlaw does a superb job! Through rain, sleet and snow! kissy

Re: Culpa crash - 11/16/07 02:02 AM

Awwww Cap'n Mags kissy

It's all from working with the best, like everyone at GB

Gee...I miss Tildie, she best be behavin in the back 40 wink

Posted By: Teddo

Re: Culpa crash - 11/16/07 10:47 PM

I've had absolutely no trouble installing or playing this game. It is wonderful!!!! I'm not finished yet, but I do really hope there will be a sequel. Gatorlaw, I thought you were just a plain person like me. Didn't know you were a professional....I'm in awe. Thanks to you and thanks to MaG for her guide. Love, Teddo

Re: Culpa crash - 11/16/07 11:06 PM

Thanks Teddo,

But I am just a plain person, who happens to make games and most of all LOVES to play them. The real heroes to me are everyone who buys our games, so we can keep making them smile

Hmmm could make me backwards and forwards BAAGer laugh
Posted By: Teddo

Re: Culpa crash - 11/16/07 11:31 PM

We're so lucky to have you. I LOVE to play the games too. I don't remember what I did before I found adventure games. I was a recent widow when a friend turned me onto computers and these games. It really turned my life around. I enjoy games with lots of dialogue, a good story line and pretty people. Keep up the good work. I think you have a winner with Culpa Innata. Teddo

Re: Culpa crash - 11/17/07 05:06 PM

How wonderfull to be a games developer, gatorlaw.
What a loveley job I envy you.
I would so like to be able to spend days making adventur gmes instead of my boring work.
But i have not the abilities for doing that shame.
Posted By: SkeeterUK

Re: Culpa crash - 11/17/07 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Teddo
I was a recent widow

frown Sry to hear. My condolonces to you.

Glad you found a little joy from adv games tho.

Re: Culpa crash - 11/17/07 07:26 PM

Teddo,

My sympathies for your loss, that is tough, very... frown

but a warm hug for your efforts to find all the other goodness that is here for you. I am glad that our game brought some more sunshine into your life. Take care and be good to yourself. smile

Re: Culpa crash - 11/18/07 01:38 PM

Ohh Teddo thats so sad.
Are you making some more loveley games for us Gatolaw pleeese
When for the next one/?
Posted By: Sherryah

Re: Culpa crash none thus far love this game highly recommend it - 11/23/07 12:23 PM

Hi Gaterlaw and new gaming buddies
I am so grateful to meet all of you, I am new to the forum but
have been watching and reading for years. I live in the Republic of Ireland and getting newly released games is rare. However I am so grateful to be able to pay and digitally download the game even though it took me 3 days to keep a stable enough connection and 5 hours each time. 3 times I got corrupted installs, it is hard to download this size of a game on a browser. Anyway I want everyone to know this game has played flawlessly thus far and it was worth all the misery I endured trying to download it. Congratulations on a game that on the first day I played 10 hours straight and time just flew by. I highly recommend this game. One suggestion though it would have been great if we had more of a wardrobe the further we got into the game and able to watch different tv channels and actually see the television. I have no idea what this simpson court case is all about and yet faithfully each day I watch it, will it lead me to another story?
One other suggestion gaterlaw, it would also be great if we could have a option to finish the puzzle for us, because I really struggle with things like the butterfly puzzle and figuring out various other puzzles. I love the animated characters although I have noticed you used the same voices of the salesgirl more then one time. LOL who could disguise that voice. My husbands only concern is he says he probably won't see me much until I finish the game. LOL
Well I just wanted to say hi and congratulate the team who brought us this great game, and thank you for all the boomers who share their hints and where they get stuck.
Happy Gaming to all
Sherryah
Posted By: Becky

Re: Culpa crash none thus far love this game highly recommend it - 11/23/07 12:36 PM

Hi Sherryah and welcome to GameBoomers! welcome

It's great to hear that you're enjoying the game.

Re: Culpa crash none thus far love this game highly recommend it - 11/23/07 03:43 PM

Excellent!

I suppose this answers my last mail of if you got the links and all. ho ho ho

Welcome to Boomers smile

I think you will find this little corner of the web, full of new friends, warmth and just tons of great people (gaming and otherwise - visit Mixed Bag for all sorts of chats!)

Appreciate the feedback. An auto solve button is an idea, but we shall see... There was an over reliance on some voices in the English version (they were largely great but still used a bit more than we would like) Next game, that won't happen laugh

I can understand vanishing from the household in the midst of a game, thrilled that this time it is Culpa innata that has you engrossed!

Posted By: nickie

Re: Culpa crash none thus far love this game highly recommend it - 11/23/07 05:18 PM

Welcome to Gameboomers Sherryah! So glad you're able to enjoy the game.

Gator, in regard to your spoiler question:
Click to reveal..
I saw the grouchy piano man (and spoke with him) the second time I played the game

Re: Culpa crash none thus far love this game highly recommend it - 11/23/07 07:23 PM

smile Nickie

Click to reveal..
In the other language versions I always had him voiced by the studio engineer, sort of one invisible yet talented guy doing another

Posted By: nickie

Re: Culpa crash none thus far love this game highly recommend it - 11/24/07 01:27 AM

Funny! Lots of extra fun bits.

Re: Thank you for the warm welcome - 11/24/07 06:57 AM

Hi one and all,
This is awesome, I feel like I have known many of you for years.
I watched behind the scenes too shy to join, until Culpa Innata and then I turned my shy, into a Hi. Becky and MaG I always read what you have to say every day. Nearly every game you recommend Becky I have bought. Gaterlaw, you truly are a dear to care about your customers and yet not get puffed up in pride, but keep the gamers heart. Thank you again to all who introduced yourself to me, now I am just wondering what took me so many years to join. Kicking myself in the behind for missing this blessing. Old Mariner even offered me a save on the butterfly puzzle, I just couldn't figure out the last two tiny pieces. In real life I would have just thrown the pieces away because it really doesn't effect the beauty of the picture. LOL
Happy Gaming to you all
Sherryah
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Thank you for the warm welcome - 11/24/07 07:05 AM

We are glad you decided to finally say hi and hope you enjoy your stay Sherryah.

Ana wave
Posted By: Becky

Re: Thank you for the warm welcome - 11/24/07 12:04 PM

blush
Posted By: GBC

Re: Thank you for the warm welcome - 11/24/07 04:58 PM

I just finished Culpa and had absolutely no problems with glitches or crashes. I played it with Vista Premium. I loved this game. I enjoyed it so much I'm sorry it ended. Welcome Sherryah!! Now I'm off to play Darkness Within.

Re: Thank you for the warm welcome - 11/24/07 05:56 PM

Awww No behind kicking allowed, life does that enough for us smile

Just glad you have surfaced and are here now Sherryah,

LindaMarion, Oops... I missed your post. BUT in answer to your kind question, Yes! smile We are working already on "what's next" Exactly what this coming game is all about will have to be a teasing mystery for just a while longer....

but... I am positive Becky will have the details before you know it wink

Re: Thank you for the warm welcome - 12/02/07 03:56 AM

Hi Gaterlaw and Thank you to my new Boomer family for your warm
welcome. I just want to add I just finished Culpa innata tonight and I feel like I am saying goodbye to a old friend. I really enjoyed this game greatly. I am so grateful for the walkthrough though for a few puzzles that stumped me as to what to do. I will be one of the first to buy the new sequel Gaterlaw when it is released. I ended with a score of 89, is it possible to have a higher score? Gaterlaw, is there really diffrent paths that can change the ending? Oh one side note, I had one crash after I completed the movie film, but after I installed the 1st patch the game worked very smoothly on win.XP. Thanks Gaterlaw and all who created this game, truly a great experience.
Happy Gaming to you all
Sherryah
Life can be like an adventure game, without any walkthroughs or hints.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community