GB HOMEPAGE

Lost Crown, the downers

Posted By: Doffy90

Lost Crown, the downers - 03/15/08 07:48 PM

First of all I'd like to say that this is a very good game. There are numerous threads here, if I remember correctly, which praises the game. I feel that we should also have a different perspective on the game other then just saying its perfect, cause nothing is perfect. So here I go:

Main question of the thread: What could have been done different? (Keep in mind not to spoil any of the plot!)

One of the first things I noticed is that they use images of real things. Not everything is graphics, like the door where our hero is staying. It's a picture of a real door until you close up on it then its a 3d door. Same goes for other stuff.

Another thing is that after you have picked a line to speak it should disappear so that we don't have to worry about clicking the same line twice.

Third is the repetitiveness. Our main character & the other character says the same things over and over again, even if we watch out not to click on an already spoken line.

Just my 2cents on how the game could have been improved. Again I am not dissing the game cause I really like it!
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/15/08 08:15 PM

Just a question Doffy....why is it necessary to nit pick something just for the sake of nit picking? I don't get it. duh

Ana
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/15/08 09:14 PM

Actually, the photo-reality is one of the things I like best about The Lost Crown. Many scenes are stunning to look at, and the daubs of brilliant colour here and there are a great effect.

I do agree with you regarding dialogue, Doffy. Once you've clicked on a line that's already been spoken there seems to be no way of cancelling it out, you have to listen to the whole spiel again.

I am completely enjoying this game, mind you. Everything else, from the story to the puzzles, to the majority of the voice acting, is superb.
Posted By: misa

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/15/08 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Doffy90
One of the first things I noticed is that they use images of real things. Not everything is graphics, like the door where our hero is staying. It's a picture of a real door until you close up on it then its a 3d door. Same goes for other stuff.

I'd have to disagree with you that the style of artwork was a downside. I think it's absolutely lovely that they combined photos with computer generated graphics.
Posted By: sierramindy

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/15/08 11:20 PM

I enjoy reading other people's opinions (even if they say it is only worth 2 cents!) and I don't see it as nit-picking at all. I do get worried when everybody says the same thing (good or bad) because then it is usually the "cascade effect" where groups will follow the leader rather than say their real thoughts. It is *safer* that way! So an honest opinion is worth ten of the copycats, says I.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/15/08 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Rushes
I do agree with you regarding dialogue, Doffy. Once you've clicked on a line that's already been spoken there seems to be no way of cancelling it out, you have to listen to the whole spiel again.

I don't think that's what Doffy was suggesting. Being able to click past already heard conversations is not the same as those conversations disappearing entirely. I like to have the chance to re-hear things, in case I missed what was said because of some noise outside or the phone ringing or some other distraction.
Posted By: MaG

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 12:02 AM

You do not need to redo those dialogues that have been heard - just those new ones that you haven't clicked on.
There's always a sort of ending the conversation dialogue at the bottom when you're done.

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
I don't think that's what Doffy was suggesting. Being able to click past already heard conversations is not the same as those conversations disappearing entirely. I like to have the chance to re-hear things, in case I missed what was said because of some noise outside or the phone ringing or some other distraction.

Well, hey now, you're nitpicking my nitpicking! razz

I should have tagged "and additionally" onto the end of that sentence in my previous post. In my own head I make fabulous sense. yay
Posted By: old lady

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 02:18 PM

I just love this game and think the graphics are very good and innovative. My only grip is that there are not sub-titles for the ghoastly voices.
Click to reveal..
[/spoiler]I had to use the w/t on the upstairs landing[spoiler]
as I could not understand what was being said. That is my only grip as otherwise it has everthing I could want from a game. Love it. thumbsup
Posted By: birddog

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 02:23 PM

I love the graphics and the way it was laid out. My only minor beef is I wish Nigel could have walked a little faster!
Posted By: robedits

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 02:42 PM

Interesting points. I find that the combo of real photos integrated into the environments worked beautifully,and is one of the strong points of the game,along with the subtle of splashes of color.
I am thoroughly engrossed in this marvelous game...yet...I TOO have a slight nitpick (okay ,2,.but they're minor):
A game this large should have more than 8 save slots...and...
One should be able to skip out of a dialogue tree if one clicks on a branch by mistake.
But that's it. Other than that,IMHO,this is the best adventure game I've played this year....in several years,actually.
Darkness Within comes close,along with Timelapse played many moons ago,and a couple of the later Myst games...but this is the best one in a LONG time for me...and the most engrossing...
Posted By: joanieS

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 03:45 PM

robedits: exactly my thoughts
Posted By: 3dobermans

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 05:42 PM

Just a question and not a nit-pic since I haven't played the game; after looking at the screen shots, is most everything in black and white or gray shades with a little color here and there. If it is then guess I'd have to nit-pic that.
Posted By: bermag45

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 05:54 PM

Never nit-pic a 'nit-pic' and never poo-poo a 'poo-poo' lol thumbsup

Bernie monky
Posted By: dragonuk44

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 06:05 PM

the story is the important thing and I like it when they keep the old speechs up as if I forget some thing or get interrupted then I can go over the conversation .I think he is a little to calm under some of the cercumstances cause if that was me I would nt need a train Id be gone .The only thing that got me was the walkie talkie .
Click to reveal..
I had to save befor I used it as it kept throwing me back to the hut .
All in all I think they did a good job and I gues there will always be some one who won t like a game .Its a preferance .I like the ghost hunting .Searching for things and he mostly tells you what to do so I can go for a couple of things I don t like .Even the best game I guess you would find some thing not to like

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: 3dobermans
Just a question and not a nit-pic since I haven't played the game; after looking at the screen shots, is most everything in black and white or gray shades with a little color here and there. If it is then guess I'd have to nit-pic that.

Yes, the game is in black & white with occasional splashes of colour on flowers and suchlike. It's very effective and doesn't detract from the game at all.

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 06:08 PM

I agree. But I'd have to play the game in order to really see whether it works for me or not. Someone (I forget who) posted in a previous thread that they dream that way -- that things can be all black-and-white except for certain objects that stand out because they're in blazing color. Maybe the developer dreams that way too, and that was why he chose to do the game that way.
Posted By: 3dobermans

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 07:18 PM

Thank you much for the replies.
The premise of the game sounds good but I dream in bright techno-color so guess that's how I like to see my games. smile

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 08:36 PM

Thank you much for the replies.
The premise of the game sounds good but I dream in bright techno-color so guess that's how I like to see my games. smile

That's how I like to see my games too.
But I don't want to miss this one after all the good things that have been written about it.
Posted By: JennyP

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/16/08 08:54 PM

I love it. I want to play & play & play and for the game never to end. I love the black & white with the odd splash of colour, love the characters, the spooky atmosphere, the wandering around scared in the dark, I love the lot. Hope there will be a follow up game thats just as great.
Posted By: BiZb0i

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 02:48 AM

I need to start by saying all in all I love this game. However between the walkie talkie glitch and my own stupidity I have messed myself up. I want to make everyone aware of my situation so the same thing doesn't happen to you. It all started when I entered the Nightmare Room in the Old Net House.
Click to reveal..
I found the hidden key and used it to open the desk drawer. After opening the drawer, the door slammed behind me and locked. I attempted to use my wakie talkie to contact Lucy. At the time I was unaware of the glitch and was upset when it sent me back to the outside of the Old Net House. I figured it was a glitch and checked a walkthrough. Sure enough it said you have to check the door first then use the walkie talkie. I attempted to do it all over again and saved my game before entering the Nightmare Room in case it happened again. I entered the room and attempted to find the key, however since I had already found it once, it was no longer there and the desk drawer was locked again. I am now stuck in the room and cannot do anything. I emailed GotGameEntertainment to see if they can help me, but god knows how long it will take to hear from them.
Don't be stupid like me and save your game after this happens.

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 02:54 AM

welcome to GameBoomers BizBoi, have you installed the patch?

Ana wave
Posted By: Mad

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 02:58 AM

EDITED OUT

Mad wave

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 03:01 AM

I have installed the patch, but it seems to be too late now. I cannot get the key to reopen the drawer.

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 03:02 AM

THere are 8 save slots, can't you go back to the one before that save?

Ana wave

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 03:04 AM

No, I just kept overwriting my current game. I didn't expect anything like this to happen.

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 03:05 AM

Oh....I'm afraid that is never a good idea. Sorry...

Post in hints and they can probably send you a saved game.

Ana wave

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 03:09 AM

Thanks!
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 03:21 AM

Well...

This game is the neatest.. I am TOTALLY enjoying the ghost hunting gadgets...What a game !!!

I haven't seen any crows yet tho lol

thumbsup

Posted By: Darlene

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 04:38 AM

wave Hello, all! Well...I loved both 'Darkfall' games, loved 'Barrow Hill', loved 'Scratches'. I'm about three to four hours into this game, and...well...I'm just not over the moon about it. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it, but I don't find myself absolutely excited to get back to it. So far, it's OK...maybe, as I get more into the story, things will turn for me (at least, I hope so...). But for now, I find myself simply waiting for the big "WOW! WHAT A GAME!" epiphany to hit me....
Posted By: lkgregorio

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 05:18 AM

Does anyone know if this story is based on an actural location in England? Some of the graphics look so realistic, that they could pass for a photograph. The ornate carving inside the church is incredible.

This is the best adventure game in a long time, it has everything. Lou

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 06:49 AM

Saxton Village is in North Yorkshire . [url=http://www.communigate.co.uk/york/saxton/]http://www.communigate.co.uk/york/saxton/[/url
Hello hope this link works as you like the church lol ]

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 01:37 PM

Sorry dragon44 but I think you will find that Saxton village is based on a small fishing port called Polperro, here in southeast Cornwall, about 4 miles down the coast from where I live.
A boat trip to Polperro is a must for all our family when they visit so I know it quite well.
Where the churches are?? A mystery to me but maybe someone else recognises them.
The antique shop is here in Looe, Cornwall but does not look the same inside.
I would suggest people google Polperro to see what a delightful place it is. Check on the pictures of people who have tried to take there cars up the narrow lanes. Quite unbelivable rotfl
I have not been to Norfolk for about 35years but my maybe faulty memories of the beaches are flat with lots of sanddunes and views for miles and miles. The Fens, however are just as I remember.
Well done to Jonathan for making the the mixture work so well.
I have only been near to tears in 2 games - 1 was Syberia 2 with
Click to reveal..
the dismantaling of Oscar
and the other is with the children in this game. To say I find it totally immersing would be an understatement
Posted By: Becky

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 02:10 PM

Hi old lady -- I've added a spoiler tag for people who haven't played Syberia 2.

Maybe I don't want to play Syberia 2 now. How could they? How could they? cry
Posted By: nickie

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 04:09 PM

Old lady is right. See here on the developer's website.
For some other places incorporated into the game, see here.

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 04:23 PM

May be thre are 2 then .If you go to the link you can even see the tower that is in the game.Apparently there is a Saxton in the USA TO Saxton is a small village in North Yorkshire, England. Resident population is about 250, it is close to the battlefield of Towton (War of the Roses). Saxton is about 15 miles from York and about 12 miles from Leeds. The site deals mainly with Saxton England but has links to Saxton PA, USA.

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 04:44 PM

Sorry Becky blush oops

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 05:49 PM

I am sure there are loads of Saxtons in the world but if you can get to that link it was the tower it was just like in the game
Posted By: BubbaJake

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 06:03 PM

Back to what Doffy90 mentioned earlier, I didn't mind the statements/questions staying as it helped when I needed to get things in the right order. I also didn't mind the 'pictures' as the game world, (the Carol Reed games do the same thing and it's great. I'd rather see that than bad art or obvious cartooning in these games). I also wanted to ask if anyone noticed an obvious face somewhere in the gameworld? I did and found it very fascinating. I want to know if it was intentional and if so, who it is?

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/18/08 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: old lady
I have not been to Norfolk for about 35years but my maybe faulty memories of the beaches are flat with lots of sanddunes and views for miles and miles.

Your memories aren't faulty at all! I live on the Norfolk coast, and yes, it's flat, flat, flat. The sand dunes are about as hilly as it gets around here - stand on top of one for a guaranteed adrenalin rush! lol

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/19/08 06:33 AM

Dont forget things do change over time .I did nt mean that in a bad way .
Posted By: Becky

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/19/08 09:57 AM

Old lady -- lol I've recovered from my intial shock. I think I over-reacted.

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/19/08 11:04 AM

No,no Becky, it was me assumming, in a rather arrogant way, that any one on this site would have played Syberia 2 oops I should have put the spoiler in myself.
Bubbajake, I'm intriqued and am now trying to 'spot the famous face'
Posted By: Dyl'smom

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/19/08 02:08 PM

Ok, here is the biggest downer:

I finished the game!

I did not want it to end.

Bummer.

Dyl'smom

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/19/08 07:36 PM

Did anyone else experience the glitch with the walkie-talkie? It threw me back to an earlier part of the game not once but twice. I should have learned my lesson the first time! The patch doesn't appear to cure this problem.
Posted By: infernoj13usa

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/19/08 08:30 PM

The patch has been updated as of yesterday (same link in Glitches Forum Sticky) and will work now / apparently the server that was used iniatially fragmented it during download and caused some systems not to deploy it properly. Now when you try to use the Walkie Talkie at an inoportune time Niegel will only comment on what it is instead of using it and throwing the player back to a previous setting.

Thanks Jonathan!

inferno

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/20/08 07:17 AM

Yes Rushs that happened to me and li ke you I did it twice lol

Re: Lost Crown, the downers - 03/20/08 04:12 PM

Yup. smile I think my cry of "Oh NoooooOOOOoooooo!" must have reverberated halfway down the street.

Thanks for the news on the updated patch, inferno. That's good to know.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community