GB HOMEPAGE

The Best Of Lost Crown

Posted By: Darleen03

The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/21/08 12:52 PM

Hi Boomers...

There are many things in this game I think is outstanding..

The one thing I am impressed about is when you are in a certain area..You have to find clues..Your not allowed out to wander aimlessly until you find all the clues..

What was the best for you in this game? :bunny:
Posted By: Rushes

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/21/08 01:04 PM

I enjoyed the range of interesting and oddball characters you got to meet within the game. Mr Gruel was a blast.
Posted By: old lady

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/21/08 01:08 PM

Darleen, I agree. I'm tired of seeing 20+ hours of gaming and then find I spend 50% of the time wondering.
Rushes you are so right, I laughted out loud at the sudden gay innuendo from Rhyes. rotfl
Posted By: dragonuk44

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/21/08 03:54 PM

I liked the siren Emmily in the cave .It was late at night and I got to the part where he first sees her and the bright light and then her face etc .I just sat and watched and then played it again
Posted By: gkgame

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/21/08 06:15 PM

I too liked the fact that you couldn't leave a scene until you gathered all the clues. It forces you to retrace your steps and make sure you didn't forget anything.

I just loved using all the gadgets. What fun. thumbsup

However, (I mentioned this in another post), Jemima and Mr. Gruel creeped me out. scared

Gail
Posted By: birddog

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/21/08 06:25 PM

Jemima and MR. Gruel creeped me out too, Gail.
By the way, I just love your "creep out" emoticon. Wherever, did you get it?
Posted By: gkgame

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/21/08 06:56 PM

Birddog -- Thanks....When you do a reply, you have to switch to "full reply screen", then hit the little smiley face above your text box. Then you can choose a whole bunch of emoticons.

Gail

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/21/08 07:01 PM

Yes I liked using the gadgets.In a way it was a mixture of every thing .Spooky murder and suspense wave lol
Posted By: Volkana

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/21/08 07:13 PM

Just started this game... From the first impression it looks really interesting and i like the black and white picture with a few colorful elements. Does all the game is like this?

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/21/08 07:26 PM

Yes it is .I liked it .Gave it that old fashioned feel
Posted By: MaG

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/21/08 07:27 PM

Volkana,

Yes - the rest of the game is black and white with some traces of color.
Posted By: birddog

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/21/08 07:58 PM

thanksThank you Gail - all the posting and I have never replied in full screen!

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/22/08 09:29 AM

Thanks dragonuk and MaG. I think i'll enjoy that one...

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/22/08 09:57 AM

Oh you will I would love to be a fly on the wall when you go into Nathons crypt shocked evil Good job you have lots of windows rotfl

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/22/08 10:02 AM

If you were a fly on my wall you might scared me too rotfl

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/22/08 10:33 AM

May be so but I could fly through one of your windows rotfl

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/22/08 12:26 PM

And leave me all alone? rotfl

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/22/08 01:14 PM

grin evil
Posted By: kjos

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/23/08 12:32 AM

Just finished the game and it was one of the best ones I've played in quite a while. bravo
Richard

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/23/08 05:28 PM

I have reached today the middle part of the game (i think). I'm done with my first visit to the museum and i must say that this game is the best i have played in months (a lot of them). I love the mystery the story and although i'm soooo scared at some points i also love the ghost haunting lol
Posted By: gaily

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/23/08 11:40 PM

One of the ways that I describe to my friends my affection for Adventure games is that it is like being a character in a novel that you are reading for the first time. The Lost Crown was like this for me. I very much liked my fellow characters and enjoyed being in their world. It was creepy and curious with startlingly scary moments. Clues and solutions were logical and I loved the gadgets. ('Cause I like to make things "go") I thought the use of color, and lack there of, was used brilliantly. A good story, well told, and ever-so-fun to play. yes

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/23/08 11:46 PM

Hi gaily...Thanks for the reply & Thank You all

What struck my attention to posting about this game..Was not only the game play...

But I want to bring to everyones attention that we don't need blood & gore to get people scared....I was so happy to see that I was scared without all that other stuff... grin
Posted By: gaily

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/23/08 11:59 PM

Hi Dar,
You know you're right. shocked I hadn't even thought about it from that perspective. Implied violence, but no gore. To me that says that I am really involved with the story for that to be effective. eek Jaded person that I am. wink
Posted By: Marian

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/24/08 12:18 AM

I agree, Darleen. smile And there are a number of great, old scary movies that demonstrate that you don't need blood and guts to be scared. Done right, in some ways this approach (the subtle one) can be more scary. thumbsup
Posted By: Celtic Lark

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/24/08 11:26 PM

I have to agree with you all on the not needing gore to have a fantastically suspenseful game.

Something I noticed while playing yesterday - I can't remember where I was but I suddenly heard that weird noise that almost sounds somewhat like a spring pinging open that was peppered throughout Dark Fall: The Journal. That's not a completely accurate description of the sound - I have no idea what it is. Maybe it's just because I'm a very auditory person but I recognized it and it suddenly made the game creepier as it brought back those feelings I had of wandering alone through that deserted hotel... Very nice usage of sound!
Posted By: infernoj13usa

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 12:10 AM

It is harp strings
inferno

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 12:39 AM

Really? Wow. One of my best friends is a harpist and I've never heard her's sound like that. smile Very effective for the games.
Posted By: Doffy90

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 07:55 AM

I have just escaped from the church at night, but the character has woken up again. The church part, especially outside was very scary as I expected something to pop up right infront of the camera.

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 09:28 AM

I'm about to go there Doffy90. I keep biting my nails during my play lol
Does anybody have tried the web site written on the poster in the museum? It is www.saxtonmuseum.co.uk. I didn't expect to exist... Very interesting stuff there

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 04:19 PM

There is time yet devil grin Wait till you get to that 2nd church grin

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 04:25 PM

I know i know scared

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 08:49 PM

Aw, man! I'm housesitting until Sunday and my game is loaded up on my home computer. Reading this thread is making me jealous. I wanna play! I haven't played since Saturday. I'm at the part where I'm...

Click to reveal..
...trying to figure out the millstones so I can see the spire of the church.

I think it's time to purchase a laptop so I can game when I'm away from home. evil

Volkana - I just checked out that site after reading your post. Did Jonathan create that just for the game?
Posted By: Sherryah

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 08:58 PM

I am on day 3 with Proffesor Hardcore. I just want to say, this game has the most interesting storyline, and it is the best adventure game I have played thus far. Being a woman, I have even overlooked the main character is a man that never changes his clothes! LOL I think of this everytime he grabs his coat and hat and wakes up in the same clothes.

My favorite part thus far was setting up the computer ghostbuster on the table and watching the rooms for ghost activity. Wouldn't it be fun to have another game with more of that tech equipment? I do miss the beautiful color in a game, but I must admit I appreciate the glimpses of colored graphics even more.

Happy ghosthunting to all
Sherryah
Posted By: Doffy90

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 09:49 PM

Only problem is that my memory is very short term when it comes to adventure games and I havent played the game since like last week so I don't remember much. scared

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 10:18 PM

[quote= Volkana - I just checked out that site after reading your post. Did Jonathan create that just for the game? [/quote]

I honestly don't know but i find it very interesting. Maybe someone else will be able to tell us... It's a real city after all... After playing that game i'm not sure if i ever want to visit Saxton lol
Posted By: Becky

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 10:40 PM

Dear Mr. Boakes:

Thank you for your interest in the beautiful town of Saxton! Yes, we have an intriguing history, and many surprises for those who wish to visit us and explore our ancient environs!

One small request -- in your next game, could you, well, put in more flowers and fewer terrifying characters? The shopkeepers and restaurant owners feel that scaring visitors half to death may discourage them from coming to see us again.

Many regards --

Saxton Village Council
Since 1066 (and probably earlier)

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 10:40 PM

LOL Especially at night, Volkana! I'm wondering if The Bear really exists. There is a link to their menu but I don't know if that's real or just him having fun being creative.

Hmmm... I'm looking at a trip to England/Scotland/Ireland next spring with a friend. Wonder if I could convince her to spend a day in Saxton? think

Just posted and then saw Becky's reply between mine and Volkana's. Was that on the site we're talking about, Becky?

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 10:47 PM

I can't even play the game not visiting the town lol...
Posted By: Retired at last

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 10:55 PM

This is the next game to play on my list.
Reading all these posts tells me I'm in for a lot of fun. bravo
Now if :spring: could really get here.
RAL wave

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 11:16 PM

Oh yes you will... Hope you can handle horror games cause i'm not and i'm having really hard time. Can't imagine how the other gamers play this game at night. I;m playing it during the day as rediculus as it sounds at i'm still having an unusual hard beat lol

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 11:23 PM

Blanket over the head job rotfl

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/25/08 11:30 PM

As you said... Not working... It's strange though... I;m afraid and at the same time i want to look...

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 12:13 AM

Volkana posted
Quote:
I;m afraid and at the same time i want to look...

Reminds me of me when I was kid and going to horror movies at the local theatre. Use to cover my face with my hands but always spread my fingers apart rotfl
Posted By: misa

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Volkana
I honestly don't know but i find it very interesting. Maybe someone else will be able to tell us... It's a real city after all... After playing that game i'm not sure if i ever want to visit Saxton lol

Yeah, it's a site created by Darkling Room for the game. They just have the real site location hidden in a frame so that the saxton url doesn't change. Here's where the site is actually located: http://www.darklingroom.co.uk/saxtonmuseum
Posted By: MousePower

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 01:14 AM

There were so many things I loved about this game. I tend to play games as quickly as I can, to find out the ending, but I took several weeks and really savored this one. A few highlights for me:

-No glitches!
-The wonderful storyline, with its twists and turns.
-The dandelion seeds floating in the breeze near the lighthouse.
-The beautiful views of the moon.
-Using the special gadgets and equipment. I want a night vision camcorder now!

Those are just a few of the many things I loved about the game. It is now #1 on my list of favorite games, and I don't anticipate it moving from that position for a very long time.

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 01:24 AM

No glitches as long as you download the updated patch. wink (Time-travelling walkie talkies can be a little frustrating!)

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 03:40 AM

Oh gosh. I just finished it and it was amazing from the start to the end. My favourite parts were:

- art direction (loved the use of black and white and colour splashes)
- creepiness
- using all the ghost hunting tools
- storyline and "history" of Saxton and surrounding areas

I am really hoping there is a sequel! smile

Now I have to play Dark Fall 1 & 2 along with Barrow Hill. I have them both and almost traded them but glad that I kept them.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 04:57 AM

I liked where Lucy karate kicked down the door instead of fooling with the latch.
Posted By: JonathanBoakes

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 05:43 AM

Dear Saxton Village Council,

Long have you known that there is something wrong with our village. It is constantly shrouded in fog. The locals move in a strange way (robotic doesn't even come close!), and the food is eccentric at best (spring rolls and chicken pie? to feed to a pig??!!! How is one expected to eat around here!!!). Plus, you insist on painting our community in only black and white terms!

There is a puzzle at the heart of our community, that I wish to bring to peoples attention. I am a Saxton resident, and have been for many years. I love this town. But...I must admit...it's rather odd.

A flustered Saxton Resident (drinking tea)

P.s. Just you wait till voting day!!!

P.p.s. http://www.thelostcrown.co.uk/realsaxton
Posted By: RayBres

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 12:40 PM

Rumor has it that that villainous lawyer fellow from Scratches has gone on the run and may have gone to Saxton, where he'd be posing as a resident to hide his true criminal self. The previous correspondent is, how shall I say, something of a fit there. Not that I wish to accuse...

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 02:56 PM

Did anyone else read the credits at the end? I thought Jonathan did a great job doing the vocals for Nigel and many other characters. Also it was a treat to see how much Matt Clark was involved in the game (even though I haven't played Barrow Hill yet).

Oh, forgot to mention that I thought the music and ambient sounds created for the game were spot on!

As for the lack of gore factor, I agree that you don't need gore to create a suspenseful or scary game. It's interesting because I never feel suspense when I see gore in a game or a movie. It's usually the creepiness factor (sounds, settings, etc.) that scares me. The Lost Crown was perfect for this.

Did anyone else jump in the museum at night? I sure did! Also was anyone else reminded of "The Others" when playing this? That film also used no gore and took advantage of setting and audio to keep viewers on their toes.

Anyway, I just can't say enough about this game!

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: misa
Now I have to play Dark Fall 1 & 2 along with Barrow Hill. I have them both and almost traded them but glad that I kept them.

*gasp* Trade them without playing them?! eek lol I've regretted loading up a few games but those three are as far from that list as they can possibly be.

Uhhh... *looking around worriedly* It would seem that the off-colour residents of creepy Saxton are invading our well-ordered world here on GB. evil At least he's friendly and sent the link to that helpful map. lol

RayBres - I'm liking that theory...

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 05:27 PM

Hi Celtic Lark,if you are coming to the UK and want to see the village of Sexton in real life then you have to come to Cornwall. It was actuely photoed mainly in the village of Polperro, a charming place to visit and you can't get much more celtic than round here. wave

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 05:41 PM

Hiya old lady! Cornwall is part of the vacation plan. There's a retreat in the area that a friend and I are looking into doing together. The only drawback is that if we do the retreat, we are obviously following someone else's schedule. One of the things I want to determine before commiting is if we'll have free time to do our own exploring. I got very attached to the scenery on Matt Clark's Making of Barrow Hill website and would love to see some of that area in reality. After I saw that, I knew that my next trip to England would have to include a visit to Cornwall. And now I'll have to make sure I see Polperro as well. smile

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 06:02 PM

Hiya Celic Lark, wave I don't know how you are travelling but if you come by train to Liskard, you can catch a very small train or a very small bus to Looe and you will come through the woods that Barrow Hill was photoed in. You can continue by bus to Polperro or in the summer take a boat to Polperro. The antique shop is here in East Looe and the man who runs it is very nice and not like Mr Gruel thank goodness. There is a museum here in Looe and it's not very spooky but it is interesting.
My Canadian sister-in-law was here last year and she was mind blown by the place. Walking her back to her B&B late at night was just like being in Saxton at night. It's not just a game it is real crazy

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Celtic Lark
*gasp* Trade them without playing them?! eek lol I've regretted loading up a few games but those three are as far from that list as they can possibly be.

I have no idea what I was thinking at the time! razz
Posted By: Teresa D

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/26/08 08:46 PM

A huge amount to enjoy. The look and the sound is spot on. It is creepy and unsettling without huge amounts of gore. I jumped sky high at a certain bathroom moment. eek
Did anyone else watch the information videos in the museum? I had a little shiver when I noticed the bottoms of the familiar turned-up, frayed jeans.
There's also a lot to think of afterwards. All that time strangeness and the Ager brothers and their motivations and Haddon (kinda weird).
Really, really well done and plenty of scope for future games I hope.
I have to admit having a little giggle to myself when reading some of the books. I couldn't help thinking of Terry Pratchett and his groce'rs apostrophes. lol

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/27/08 03:13 PM

WoW!!!!!

I have to share this with you all...I have played a lot of games throughout the years...But NONE has ever brought tears to my eyes...
Click to reveal..
When I got to the church with the little girl & boy looking for their father...That part completely tore me up
cry
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/27/08 03:26 PM

You must not have played Blackstone Chronicles Darleen.

Ana wave
Posted By: Marian

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/27/08 03:58 PM

I'm still playing The Lost Crown, and the more I play, the better and more engrossing it becomes. There is only one thing while playing this game that troubles me, and that is the fact that it's hard not to feel that I will have difficulty finding another adventure in the future that will seem as good!

I hope we don't have to wait too terribly long for Dark Fall 3. smile

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/27/08 04:11 PM

Never say never Marian... We all hope to see a lot of such nice games in the future... smile

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/27/08 04:21 PM

Hi ,Ana

Thanks I forgot the spoiler oops

I have the game Blackstone...But tried in vain to get it to run on my computer..No luck ...So yes you are right I have never played it.. <sigh>

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/27/08 05:27 PM

Darleen, I had the same reaction cry and the only other time I had that was
Click to reveal..
when Oscar was used to repair Hans
cry in Syberia 2. It takes an artist to get a reaction that that.

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/28/08 01:01 AM

Just started the game tonight - like the feeling of the black and white.
Not scared yet - but hay, I have 2 cats to console me if that happens. catrub and a dog to take me for a walk puppy
RAL wave
Posted By: Phoebe

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/28/08 01:18 AM

Hey Boomers i still playing but so far i love the graphics black and white , atmosphere and story...

Love Maria hearts
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/28/08 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Dark Fall Game
Dear Saxton Village Council,

Long have you known that there is something wrong with our village. It is constantly shrouded in fog. The locals move in a strange way (robotic doesn't even come close!), and the food is eccentric at best (spring rolls and chicken pie? to feed to a pig??!!! How is one expected to eat around here!!!). Plus, you insist on painting our community in only black and white terms!

There is a puzzle at the heart of our community, that I wish to bring to peoples attention. I am a Saxton resident, and have been for many years. I love this town. But...I must admit...it's rather odd.

A flustered Saxton Resident (drinking tea)

P.s. Just you wait till voting day!!!

P.p.s. http://www.thelostcrown.co.uk/realsaxton

I don't suppose the Ager house is based on a real place -- maybe one that burned down and was reconstructed from old photos.
Posted By: Jeanne

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/29/08 02:41 AM

Just finished the game. I felt this same way when The Longest Journey was over...a real sense of loss.

Thank you Jonathan for one of the best games I've ever played. I was so "creeped out" at one point that I had to stop playing until the sun came up the next day. You really are a master at creating a mood.

Intuitive puzzle solving...perfection!
Jeanne

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/30/08 05:18 AM

Oooh.. Jeanne, sounds fantastic! evil

I managed to escape housesitting today and went home to play the game for about three hours. I'm finally getting to parts where I feel some aprehension. I just...

Click to reveal..
...got into the museum for the first time and am busy exploring. That ghost that keeps popping up set my heart to pounding twice. scared

It's driving me batty that it's taking me so long to finish this game due to not being at home this week. But tomorrow I go home for good and I'm turning off my phone, fortifying myself with snackies, and holing myself up in front of my computer. happydance

Hmmm... no more notes from that tea-drinking guy...
Posted By: Becky

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/30/08 12:40 PM

Well, I scare easily, but I felt a frisson at the opening screen. lol It's that song, and the weird symbols, and the crows. And very early on, at the caves on the beach with the strange groans issuing forth -- none of you that that was scary?

I think the tea-drinking guy is behind more of what's going on in the Saxton than would immediately meet the eye. I suspect that he's a catalyst of sorts, or perhaps some sort of focus point. I hope the Village Council is monitoring the situation.

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/30/08 12:56 PM

Each time i run this game i am decided to move on and not to be scared again but from the first second i'm in the menu screen i'm back at the beginning... You are right Becky this song is really something lol

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/30/08 02:44 PM

The worst moment for me was wandering around the crypt passages and being greeted by something not entirely, uh, friendly. I just about leapt out of my chair into a heap on the carpet. pacify Mr Boakes, I'm sending you my dry cleaning bill!

Re: The Best Of Lost Crown - 03/30/08 10:49 PM

Okay, okay, I retract a bit of what I said. I've felt a bit nervous during certain parts like exploring the cottage and the caverns but until now, I haven't felt like I need to take a break from the game because it's creeping me out too much. I was like that while playing "The Journal". I turned that game off for six months because it was making me so jumpy. That basement was terrifying. But eventually I went back and finished it. So that's kind of my yardstick for determining how scary a game is.

Of course, I was a fairly new gamer when I picked up "The Journal" and maybe a little more susceptible than I am now. Now I'm a hard-nosed adventurer! grin

And also, most of the exploring I've done so far in TLC has been in daylight. From several comments that Nigel has made recently, I'm predicting that a midnight trip to the museum and church are in my future... eek
© 2024 GameBoomers Community