GB HOMEPAGE

Disappointed With The Awakened

Posted By: Darleen03

Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/14/07 05:09 PM

Hey All....
I was wondering if anyone feels the way I do about this game...

The interface was a Juggle & a Wiggle...Why?
Cause while playing the game you have to get on top of an object...Before you see a Hand for action or An Eye to look...I got so DIZZY woozy Playing this game....

Everything else was Great...But the interface was Horrible...
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/14/07 05:18 PM

I loved the interface! Only took a little getting used to (I was crashing into staircases, tables and even poor Watson to begin with), and then had a great time with it. Being able to zoom around in real-time was great fun. It's true that you have to be very close to an object before a hand or eye cursor appears, but I didn't find it disorienting. I'd like more games to play like this! thumbsup
Posted By: nickie

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/14/07 06:27 PM

Me too Darleen, but it's because I can't get it to play. I've done everything suggested to others in glitches and on the game forum, but...no. It just keeps asking me for the CD. cry

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/14/07 06:34 PM

Hey Nickie...

Did you Do the patch?...I had to do it...Then was Discussted with the interface after I got it to play... lol
Posted By: Marian

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/14/07 06:39 PM

Nickie, some suggestions on their technical support forum for this error message were to please install the 1.1 patch for Sherlock Holmes; disable your antivirus; and if a virtual drive is enabled, to please disable it. Did you try all that?

Someone else with the same problem got it to run by having it auto run and then loading the game with the shortcut on the desktop; another person found that a replacement DVD fixed the problem.

I hope you can get it sorted. wave

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/14/07 06:40 PM

Yes, I did download that, but thanks for trying to help! In fact, I did everything I could think of, including standing on my head with one eye closed and rubbing my stomach, but I haven't come up with the magic formula yet. I'm going to keep tinkering though laugh Sorry you didn't enjoy the game. Can I come to your house and play it? lol
Edit - Thanks Marian, yes I did.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/14/07 09:07 PM

I have had this game for 2 weeks and I'm only playing it for an hour or two a day. It makes me really dizzy. Also by holding down the mouse when moving has damaged my mouse so now I'll have to buy a new one.But I do like the story line and I will finish it. smile
Posted By: thehood

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/15/07 01:53 PM

Hi Nickie,

can you write to amr@frogwares.com to explain the problem you have, I'm sure we can sort it easily wave
Posted By: JohnBoy

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/15/07 02:34 PM

I loved everything about the game. The ending could have been a little more exciting, but great game!

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/15/07 05:36 PM

Hi thehood! wave I have done so, including the long sad tale plus my dxdiag and am looking forward to you telling me what should have been obvious wink . I have heard so many good things about the game that I am really looking forward to playing it.
Posted By: texaslady

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/15/07 06:06 PM

Nickie see your email please.

Sue

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/15/07 06:51 PM

I just wanted to commend Frogwares on their kindness and caring - already got a response. This is so important, that developers and publishers care. I wrote Atari on another game two months ago, and am still waiting on a response (not really waiting, but you know what I mean). Now who am I more likely to buy a game from? laugh
Don't know if it will work or not as I uninstalled the game in a fit of pique, but will try it out as soon as I get a free moment. Thanks thehood! praise

Thanks Sue! CYE
My apologies to Darleen for hijacking the thread.
Posted By: Jenny

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/15/07 07:10 PM

Darleen, it's not the moving around that gets to me--it's trying to use something out of inventory!! I know how to do it, but getting the process to work is....
Posted By: TLC

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/15/07 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnBoy:
I loved everything about the game. The ending could have been a little more exciting, but great game!
I'm in the middle of the game and I love everything about it so far. I agree with JB, its a great game. wave

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/15/07 07:39 PM

Loved this game! Sorry for ones like Nickie that are having problems getting it to play.

Sue wave

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/15/07 08:13 PM

Hi Jenny

I also can't figure out the inventory...

Oh Well...The game is a Good one ...Don't get me wrong...Its the Interface..That is hard to get use to without getting motion sickness
Posted By: sierramindy

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/15/07 11:37 PM

I reckon Mystery of the Mummy has the same interface and I'm getting dizzy trying to use it. I'm trying to follow the walkthrough but can't seem to find what I need. I've been at it so long that even the music which was okay is now getting to me and Sherlock is starting to sound sort of whiney when he finds a locked door. I guess I'm getting impatient and totally bored with him and the whole game!
Posted By: Becky

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/16/07 06:38 AM

Sierramindy -- Mystery of the Mummy, though by the same developer (Frogwares) is a very different kind of game. MOTM has 2D graphics with 360 degree panning, while The Awakened has 3D graphics that you can fully explore. From what I recall, MOTM takes place almost entirely indoors in one mansion, while The Awakened takes you to various locations, including New Orleans and Scotland.
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/16/07 07:21 PM

A few comments after reading this thread. As Texaslady knows I am playing the in between game SH-
Secrets of the Silver Earring. None of the problems mentioned above and overall a great game. For those of you who have played both of these games how does the interface differ?

Almost done with it and will likely add it to my present "going nowhere" trading thread.
Posted By: kazzmo

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/16/07 11:00 PM

I just finished The Awakening. smile I thought Holmes and Watson characters were very well done. I felt I was watching T.V. during cut scenes. All characters were life-like and I felt very much a part of the game. I did encounter problems with inventory(getting items out and putting them back), as well as hand and gear icons not working easily together. IMO. I am in no way putting this wonderful game down. It is a definte "keeper and replay" for me. I am now waiting for the next SH game. thumbsup
Posted By: Becky

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/17/07 12:09 AM

Old Mariner -- Silver Earring is third person perspective, 2D/2.5D graphics and point-and-click. The Awakened has first person perspective (except for the many cutscenes), 3D graphics and "mouse look" where you can move all around the environments.

The Awakened is darker in tone than Silver Earring because it has the H.P. Lovecraft elements in it. It also takes place in various places throughout the world, rather than mostly in England. The story in each game is equally good, IMHO.

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/17/07 12:30 AM

Thanks, Becky, I've been trying to find out if The Awakened was a first or third person game and now I finally know. I've read too many comments on how great the characters were and even saw Holmes in some screenshots, so I've been confused.

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/17/07 12:48 AM

Ok I decided to give Awakened another try...

Maybe I can over the Floating feeling...BUT I will try it again..ONLY cause it is a Great Game
<minus> Sea sickness laugh

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/17/07 08:42 PM

I'm hanging in there with Mystery of the Mummy even with the spinning/panning and finding myself looking at the ceiling when I know what I'm trying to find isn't up there (except once it was) and I'm hoping I don't get an epileptic fit (some games have warnings about this) and why I'm still playing the game is a bigger mystery to me than the mummy. I'm having the hardest time following the walkthrough every step of the way but something is keeping me from quitting although I do seem to be looking for a reason (any reason!) to quit. Just haven't found it yet. Maybe the game is better than I give it credit for, do you think?

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/17/07 08:46 PM

Hi sierramindy

I agree that Mystery of the Mummy...The interface
is Bad..But then again it is an older game.. wave
Posted By: Upsydaisy

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/17/07 10:16 PM

LOVED The Awakened, used my scroll wheel to access the inventory (found this by accident). My only little gripe was looking at something which I may need later on in the game and was unable to get it!! mad

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/19/07 08:19 PM

Ok I gave another try..Adjusted controls..

Forget it...I can't get use to Flying all over the place..Not seeing a Hand icon..unless your ontop of something to pick up...This Game is now off my line of Great games...The interface is the problem ..Horrible

Sorry Frogwares...But I can't get used to Bumping into walls & Flying all over the place...Walking into chairs...
My Opinion duh
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/19/07 08:28 PM

Hi Darleen, sorry that you don't like the interface but I am glad of the warning! - I haven't started it yet but pleased to read your opinion & have some idea what to expect! smile

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/19/07 09:34 PM

Chrissie I thought The Awakened was a great game. I had no problems with the interface.

Sue wave
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/19/07 09:47 PM

Thanks Sue! I haven't been put off & am sure from reading many opinions I will love it!! Just good to know that the interface may be what I might not have expected!
Posted By: MP

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/19/07 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Darleen2003:
...I can't get used to Bumping into walls & Flying all over the place...Walking into chairs...
Darleen, just wait until you get to be my age.

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/19/07 10:26 PM

lol lol MP

I just realized what i said..... rotfl rotfl

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/19/07 10:39 PM

Sherlock gave me the excuse to quit playing Mystery of the Mummy as he up and died and the game said to start at the beginning. I'm not sure if that meant the beginning of the game, or the level I was on (3) or the puzzle, whatever it was! So, not having a clue as to which it was, I was happy enough to give up.

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/19/07 10:40 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by texaslady:
<strong> Chrissie I thought The Awakened was a great game. I had no problems with the interface.

Sue lol Darlene you know I love ya sweetie, and I know by your picture you're not a blonde. laugh

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/19/07 10:44 PM

JohnBoy HUNNY Babe

I can't get used to no Hand Icon..Unless you are on top..Of an object..Also I keep Bumping into walls...Cause you have to Hold down & left click
mouse to walk...And if you walk into a chair you have to move around to get un stuck..And besides that when you talk to people...You have to walk real close to talk to them...The camera panning is all over the place.... woozy wave

PS: I have played many a Game ...But this Interface is too Confusing for me...
laugh

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/19/07 11:18 PM

Ive been meaning to ask you Darlene, Is that rose for me?

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/19/07 11:34 PM

JohnBoy Your too Funny Hun lol

And that Question is Off Subject lol
<Slap> <Swat>

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/20/07 02:31 AM

Well I was going to offer you my glass of Champagne but we certainly dont want to hyjack this thread now do we? whistle

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 03/20/07 02:38 AM

rotfl rotfl rotfl
JohnBoy..Don't reply to this post anymore..
We will get into trouble...Unless its On Subject laugh
Posted By: Jhart320

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 04/06/07 10:00 AM

I tried the game twice and just can't play it because of the motion sickness and headaches. I have tried to play two so far that I could not. Scratches and now this one. I guess I need to stick with third person, no panning, right? The only thing I don't understand is that I loved secrets of Da Vinci and was able to play that game with no problem. I have to figure this all out before I buy anymore games, that is for sure!

Joy
Posted By: Mad

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 04/06/07 10:59 AM

Hi smile

Really vastly different opinions on this game woozy

I'm, personally, not having any of the problems with actual navigation that some people seem to be experiencing.
Nor any difficulties with the inventory.

In fact I am enjoying the game very much thumbsup

So I am sad to hear that some people have had to give up on it frown

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 04/06/07 01:31 PM

Joy, will the game let you adjust your mouse speed? That just might do the trick for you.

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 04/06/07 01:53 PM

John Boy,
It will and it didn't do the trick. I have tried everything...there is just too much panning. If I have to have my eyes move around that much I get a headache. I tried it twice, now I am done with it. I really liked SH silver earring and was looking forward to this game. I just need to be more careful with my selections, really read all I can on it before I decide if I will be able to tolerate the game. I am going to keep away from anything that says 360 degrees panning. I also didn't like using the keyboard, I seemed to miss all the spots I should be looking at for items. If something is that much work, it won't be much fun. Thanks for you suggestion though. I really appreciate it.

Joy
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 04/06/07 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jhart320:
I am going to keep away from anything that says 360 degrees panning. I also didn't like using the keyboard, I seemed to miss all the spots I should be looking at for items.
The Awakened has a real time 3D interface. It's not merely a game with 360 degree panning. As you move through the game, your computer generates the images you see onscreen in real time. If games like Aura, the Atlantis games, and Destination: Treasure Island don't bother you, don't assume all games with 360 degree panning will bother you.

The problem with finding inventory in real time 3D games can be a lot worse than in 2D 360 degree games (where you're actually panning around a prerendered image which has boundaries that extend beyond the edges of your monitor).

Games like BS3 and BS4 had a way of making inventory "twinkle" so it would attract your attention. Did you not notice anything like that in The Awakened?

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 04/06/07 11:09 PM

No, I didn't notice anything like that in the game. I am still confused as to why Scratches and Awakened bothered me so much and Da Vinci didn't bother me at all. I need to figure that out for future games purchases. I haven't played any of the games you mentioned. I just started about a year ago so I am pretty green when it comes to explaining or even knowing what to look for.

Joy
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 04/06/07 11:58 PM

Joy, did you know that Scratches has an option in the Setup where you can change the gamemode to Slideshow, instead of 360? A very nice feature, I thought. smile

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 04/07/07 12:01 AM

Yes, I did..however, the way the door went up and down when you needed to get into a room wasn't good for me..boy, I sound like such a whiner...sorry, I just have to get it straight in my mind exactly the type of game I can't play. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Joy
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 04/07/07 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jhart320:
I am still confused as to why Scratches and Awakened bothered me so much and Da Vinci didn't bother me at all. I need to figure that out for future games purchases. I haven't played any of the games you mentioned.
Secrets of Da Vinci uses central cursor panning and Scratches uses soft edge-panning. With central cursor panning, the cursor always seems to stay in the exact center of the screen. If you move your mouse, the screen moves. Move the mouse fast, the screen moves fast. Move the mouse slowly, the screen moves slowly. As long as you aren't playing some really old game, central cursor gives you very precise control of when and how much the screen moves. (With old games like Egypt 2, the movement may be too fast to control because the game was made for a much slower computer.) The more control you have over when and how fast the screen moves, the less apt you are to get sick.

With soft edge-panning, the screen starts to move when your cursor gets near the edge of the screen. Predicting exactly when and how fast it will move can be tricky, and you tend to get movement either too slow or too fast. It's also a problem when you overshoot and want to move in the opposite direction. In Scratches, you're having a lot of up and down because you have to pan down to click the doorknobs.

Another game that uses soft edge-panning is Sherlock Holmes: Mystery of the Mummy. It doesn't have the problem with the doors, but in order to access the inventory you have to click a spot near the bottom of the screen. And every time you do that the camera pans downward. So you may want to avoid that one.

If Secrets of Da Vinci was OK for you, then any of the other games made by Kheops would probably be OK for you. (Return to Mysterious Island, Voyage, Destination: Treasure Island, Safecracker, Echo:Secret of the Lost Cavern, and they have a couple of upcoming games). Also Aura and Sacred Rings use a similar interface to the Kheops games. So does the latest Atlantis game (Atlantis: The Sacred Legacy)

And any 3rd person game (where you see your character walking around the screen instead of the screen moving) should be OK.

Re: Disappointed With The Awakened - 04/07/07 10:37 AM

Oh, my goodness, bravo you are so helpful! Thank, thank you for all the information. I am going to print that out and be on the look out now. I can't thank you enough! praise

Joy
© 2024 GameBoomers Community