GB HOMEPAGE

Barrow Hill-Wow

Posted By: Tracy

Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/13/07 05:45 PM

Hi everyone. I just finished Barrow Hill and I'm just sitting here feeling like "wow" as I stare at my monitor. This game was SO good and I'm just stunned by it. For one thing it scared the heck out of me and I felt this constant sense of urgency as I played, like either that sentry-thing was going to get ME or Emma. Either way, I was feeling almost frantic and it was really awesome! (scary but awesome! lol)

The sounds and the music were just creepy as h*ll and they really added to that sense of this whole experience being "real". Amazing.

I'm going to have to write to the guys who did the game (and the one who did the sounds and music) and let them know just what a wonderful job they all did with this game. Whew!

I just had to write and let everyone know who hasn't played this yet that it's terrific and should be played now, instantly! LOL LOL

PS Thank you to MaG for the wonderful walkthrough---I never would've gotten through this without it! smile

Cat, feeling shaky and tired and a bit hungry but also feeling that wonderful satisfaction that comes with finishing a great game. smile
Posted By: MaG

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/13/07 06:09 PM

I agree, Cat. How about that crow?

This game is a wonderfully done game by Matt with collaboration with Jonathan.

We are awaiting more games from Matt and Jonathan.

Check here for the sounds-music done by Jan Kavan.

Jan is making his own game too - check here and music.

Glad to be of help, Cat.
Posted By: killerprophets

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/13/07 06:21 PM

that flaming crow had me out of my computer chair and out the patio doors before i had realised i had moved scared

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/13/07 06:29 PM

Oh yeah,MaG,that crow made me jump a foot in the air! LOL

I'm SO happy to hear that Matt and Jonathan are going to collaborate on another game. That's great news! Thanks for the links for Jan Kavan too...this is one talented group of guys I swear! smile

Cat

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/13/07 06:32 PM

Killerprophets-

LOL!! That's hilarious! Yikes!! smile smile

Cat
Posted By: Upsydaisy

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/13/07 09:15 PM

Hi Cat
Just a little question, when you were exploring the area around the church ruins (swamp near the radio caravan)did you or anyone else notice a man's face imprinted on one of the stone walls?, am dying to know who this is, looks like a younger version of Jonathan. think
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/13/07 09:50 PM

I noticed that face too, but have no idea who it is. I spotted several "faces in the walls" during the game, but that was the most photo-like one.

I replayed Barrow Hill recently and thought I'd be ready for that crow. But no, it got me again. lol
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/14/07 10:32 AM

Congrats Cat. It is a great Adventure Game. wave
Posted By: Dunn Tawkin

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/15/07 12:52 AM

I haven't played a game that I've enjoyed as much as that one in a long time. The whole feeling of the game was great. thumbsup Didnt have to use a hint the whole game.Really liked the ending with the radio person fading out saying so long. Nice touch. Dunn. Glad you had a good experience,thats a well done game when that happens.

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/15/07 12:56 AM

Thanks guys. smile smile

Also I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who enjoyed this game so much!

If only there were more like this one! smile

Cat
Posted By: Marian

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/15/07 12:58 AM

I'll buy anything that Matt and Jonathan have to offer. And I love the British-Isle settings! wave

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/15/07 01:01 AM

Oh me too, Marian! If only I could live there! LOL

SIGH....

Cat wink
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/15/07 01:44 AM

The Crow scared the Daylights out of me..
Completely unexspected... scared
Posted By: JohnBoy

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/15/07 01:51 AM

I guess I am in the minority here. I hated the game. I sold it as soon as I was finished with it.
Posted By: aretha

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/15/07 09:06 AM

You may be right John Boy but I don't know that yet lol I've finally been convinced and have just sent off for this game. scared wish me luck...
Posted By: ron.etti

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/15/07 04:56 PM

Hey Johnboy,can you point out what turned you off.
I liked it too,maybe not as mush as Catbelly did,but its a keeper.
Posted By: Mystery Lover

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/16/07 04:53 AM

I had to replay Barrow Hill as well and I still got that sense of something lurking in the shadows, watching me! Really liked Emma, would've loved to talk to her more and it definetly got me curious about the old British legends.
Posted By: old lady

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/16/07 01:48 PM

Hi Mystery Lover, try the Barrow hill web site, it will give you the present area and links to local legends. If you come to Britian why not visit as you will get a warm welcome. We even have an American and a Canadian living here and loving ever minute wave
Posted By: noelbruton

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/17/07 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by catbelly36:
Hi everyone. I just finished Barrow Hill and I'm just sitting here feeling like "wow" as I stare at my monitor. This game was SO good and I'm just stunned by it. For one thing it scared the heck out of me and I felt this constant sense of urgency as I played, like either that sentry-thing was going to get ME or Emma. Either way, I was feeling almost frantic and it was really awesome! (scary but awesome! lol)
Hi everyone.

Agree completely on Barrow Hill. Scary, quality, gaming for grown-ups. In terms of pure playability, it seemed like the game my partner and I were waiting for. Moreover from our POV, that game was the tipping-point for the formation of the company I work for, Arberth Studios, and playing it kicked off development of our current project in a similar genre. So we owe Barrow Hill a debt of gratitude.

Cheers

Noel

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/17/07 05:33 PM

Hi Noel. I just wanted to say that I was on your website just now, and your game looks terrific! I can't wait to play it, I think it'll be right up my alley. smile

Good luck with it, btw!

Cat
Posted By: red1970

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/18/07 12:30 PM

I've played a lot of games and Barrow Hill is definately a stand out kind of game. I absolutely loved it! I'm with you, it had the whole WOW factor for me too!
Posted By: cyanfan

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/18/07 02:59 PM

Hi catbelly smile Totally agree with you about Barrow Hill! It's one of my favorite games ever.

Noel, thanks so much for posting about your game. The screenshots look wonderful & the story fascinating. And the sound clips for how to pronounce the Welsh names are great! Just added myself to your mailing list. laugh

Jane wave
Posted By: JohnBoy

Re: Barrow Hill-Wow - 04/18/07 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ron.etti:
Hey Johnboy,can you point out what turned you off.
I liked it too,maybe not as mush as Catbelly did,but its a keeper.
The location was to confined. I was totally bored with the game.
Also I have no sense of direction when I am in wooded areas and I seem to always go around in circles. lol
© 2024 GameBoomers Community