GB HOMEPAGE

If You Could Update Any Classic Game?

Posted By: Space Quest Fan

If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/15/07 05:23 PM

Would you purchase older classic games if they were redone with todays graphic standards? If so what classic game would you like to see updated? I would love to see the following games with new graphics:

Zac McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Maniac Mansion
Sanitarium
Day of the Tenacle
Gabriel Knight
Simon the Sorcerer
Discworld
Monkey Island

It would be great to see this happen. happydance
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/15/07 06:05 PM

How bout some really old ones -

1.) Cranston Manor
2.) Mystery House
Posted By: Liz

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/15/07 06:05 PM

Phantasmagoria happydance happydance

and Gabriel Knight would be excellent, too bravo
Posted By: chrissie

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/15/07 07:04 PM

Hi Space Quest Fan, I would agree with your choices on GK 1, Discworld & Monkey Island! I would also like to see GK3, the rest of the Discworld & MI series, Dracula's Resurrection & The Last Sanctuary, Broken swword 1 & 2, Alone in the Dark - Jack is Back, Clocktower 1, Ark of Time, Versailles & any other classic recommended that I just don't try to get because I know it would be a nightmare to get them to play!!! smile
Posted By: Freya

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/15/07 08:47 PM

SHIVERS!

Still a favorite after all these years.

Freya
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/15/07 09:49 PM

Ok My List

Discworld
Mystery of the Mummy
All of The Arthurs knight games wave
Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/15/07 10:09 PM

All the games that were made for WIN95, WIN98 remade to play on XP so I could do away with my 'extra' computers and downsize to just one laugh thumbsup
Love, Betty Lou :kiss:
Posted By: Bristol

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/15/07 10:12 PM

I'd nominate Dark Side of the Moon and Ripper, if only to do away with all those discs!
Posted By: jldcat

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/15/07 11:03 PM

Chrissie, they already have a newer version of BS 1 & 2 for XP, I'm playing them now with no problems whatsoever. Also have GK3 that runs fine on XP under Win 98 compatability.

I'd like to see American McGees Alice redone for XP.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/15/07 11:07 PM

I played Alice on my XP computer and it ran flawlessly with no tweaks.

Ana wave
Posted By: The Haze

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/15/07 11:58 PM

How about an updated version of Drowned God; it's long been one of my favorites. If this ever happens, please don't change the soundtrack.
Posted By: nickie

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/16/07 12:52 AM

Many that you've mentioned thus far, and also the Zork series and Are you afraid of the Dark.
Posted By: BaldBob

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/16/07 01:40 AM

It is actually being done with the first Tomb Raider and it will be called Tomb Raider Anniversary. It comes out this summer, I believe.

And while it may be viewed as sacrilege, Riven might benefit from additional 3D and pixels.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/16/07 01:50 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Betty Lou Brewer Jones:
<strong> All the games that were made for WIN95, WIN98 remade to play on XP so I could do away with my 'extra' computers and downsize to just one laugh happydance
Posted By: BeaSong

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/16/07 03:56 AM

Oh WOW! What a good idea! Wouldn't that be fun to have all our favorite games updated to the new technology! My oldest favorite is Grail Quest, but it's for a Mac. Hey, re-making the PC oldies to work on the Mac would be nice too!
Posted By: aretha

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/16/07 08:01 AM

I'd love to see Tex Murphy updated, especially the first two, Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum. The latter ones could have 3d graphics instead of FMV. How about Cruise for a Corpse too with better graphics and spoken dialogue.
Posted By: Geo

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/16/07 03:14 PM

Im glad you asked this,because I have often thought it would be really cool to see "Azraels Tear" with updated graphics! An updated "Secret of the Luxor" would be cool also!
Posted By: Mad

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/16/07 03:51 PM

Hi smile

The Indiana Jones "adventure" games - and all the Tex Murphy ones too - might be good laugh

Bit I do think there is a risk of losing some of the original "panache" of some the oldies by re-vamping the graphics eek

I still play lots of the classic oldies in their original ancient graphic state and they have a magnetism for me that I fear could be lost were they to be too meddled with lol

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: hammer

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/16/07 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aretha:
I'd love to see Tex Murphy updated, especially the first two, Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum. The latter ones could have 3d graphics instead of FMV. How about Cruise for a Corpse too with better graphics and spoken dialogue.
Tex Murphy Overseer is basically a remake of Mean Streets...

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/16/07 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bristol:
I'd nominate Dark Side of the Moon and Ripper, if only to do away with all those discs!
There is a 1-Disc DVD version of Dark Side of the Moon floating around somewhere...

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/16/07 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeaSong:
Oh WOW! What a good idea! Wouldn't that be fun to have all our favorite games updated to the new technology! My oldest favorite is Grail Quest, but it's for a Mac. Hey, re-making the PC oldies to work on the Mac would be nice too!
Grail Quest was also available on the PC, BTW.
Posted By: StarLite Moon

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/16/07 05:00 PM

I'd have to go with any Zork game. I still have a couple of those.

Oh Haze, I still have Drowned God. I hate to part with these old games. I'd love to replay them all but some of them don't seem to work on todays upgraded computers.

I would play any of the old games if they were updated. I love the old games they had something that the new games seem to lack, but I can't put my finger on it.
Posted By: The Haze

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/16/07 08:52 PM

Hi Starlight Moon; I know the feeling. I've kept a tight grasp on both Drowned God and Obsidian and they have both run, with no problem, on my Windows XP. However, unlike BrownEyedTiger, I can't make ALICE run on it. Ah well, like it or not we'll all eventually have to see what Vista will bring to the table.
Posted By: Dudemom_2000

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/16/07 09:30 PM

Oh, Grim Fandango! I think it is now on the outside edge of being able to be played on these computers today. I so loved that game and would have loved a sequel.... Also pretty much any adventure game that currently won't run or is really hard to run on today's computers.

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/21/07 03:41 PM

It sure would be great if some game companies could see the interest out here for remaking classic games. We can always hope. happydance luck
Posted By: Butcher

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/21/07 06:25 PM

Definitely the Monkey Island series would be in my list, and also Grim Fangango.
Posted By: JohnBoy

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/21/07 06:36 PM

Some of these mentioned I would not want them ungraded to todays graphics standard. They were great the way they were.
And I could not imagine the Monkey Islands and especially Sanitarium being remade. The graphics were just fine.
I would like re-releases of these older games as they are to work on XP and the new Vista. Now that would be cool.
Wasn't the re-release of Sanitarium playable on XP?
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/21/07 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnBoy:
Wasn't the re-release of Sanitarium playable on XP?
That's what they said - however I had many issues with it under XP.
Posted By: Mad

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/21/07 08:32 PM

Hi smile

"Some of these mentioned I would not want them ungraded to todays graphics standard. They were great the way they were ....
I would like re-releases of these older games as they are to work on XP and the new Vista. Now that would be cool."

My thoughts exactly JB, as I tried to say in MY post on this thread, but you put it so much more succinctly than I did.
Indeed, I feel some of the charm of the old games IS those old graphics !! thumbsup

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/21/07 08:56 PM

I remember the first game I played was Kings Quest on an RGB monitor. The grahpics were so bad that sometimes you couldn't even figure out what you were supposed to be looking at but it was the game that got me hooked on adventure gaming. thumbsup
Posted By: NYLady

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/21/07 10:25 PM

Simon the Sorcerer

I also had a game called Fable that was like Simon the Sorcerer, but it was a hand-me-down and I got half way through and it froze and I never got to finish it.

Has anyone else heard of this Fable. (Not the Fable that's out now.)

Sadly, I had so many games before I met GB and sold them all for 50 cents each at my garage sale 2 yrs ago... including Myst and Riven! I've always been a packrat and my husband talked me into getting rid of everything I haven't used in 2 yrs... so..... <sniff> cry
Posted By: Carrie

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/21/07 10:38 PM

Golden Gate was good as it was, but modern embellishments with more locations would be nice. Even better, would be a makeover ala the Savareses... (I'm thinking Capri & Anacapri).

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/22/07 12:37 AM

NYLady I loved Fable. It reminded me of Simon the Sorcerer or the Kyrandia Fables and Fiends games. happydance
Posted By: NYLady

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/22/07 01:26 AM

Oh, I'm so glad someone else remembers it.

If someone would only listen to us, the ones who buy the games... hint, hint.

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/22/07 04:19 PM

I have to agree the tex Murphey series would look good in todays graphic standards. I also would love to see Darkseed remade. smile
Posted By: Darlene

Re: If You Could Update Any Classic Game? - 04/23/07 04:59 PM

wave 'Realms Of The Haunting'...one of my faves!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community