GB HOMEPAGE

An appeal to all the indipendent developers

Posted By: Carla

An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/18/05 10:06 PM

Hi,
I know that probably this will add extra costs to all our brilliant indipendent games developers, but I would like to make an appeal:would be possible to have english subtitling? I'm italian, and although I speak a quite-decent english (after 12 years of cockney husband...) sometimes is quite difficult for me to catch all the words in the games.
I fully enjoyed Dark Fall only when it was translated in my language:I played the game in english, understood most of the story but of course I missed some words that sometimes give you some essential clues.
I'm sure that lots of these indipendent games would be bought by non-english gamers, because reading english is so much easier than listen to it.
thanks
Posted By: CBSection31

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/18/05 10:25 PM

Adding subtitles is one of the things I'm focusing on for my next game. So, hopefully, it'll all work out! smile

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/18/05 10:32 PM

Thanks so much! praise
I'm starting Shady Brook now, hopefully won't be too difficult to understand, otherwise I will ask you for a list of dialogues! lol
When I played Lifestream I remember I had some problems, I asked my husband a couple of times to listen for me and repeat slowly!
Posted By: CBSection31

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/18/05 10:44 PM

I hope that Shady Brook proves less troublesome for you! Enjoy the game. smile
Posted By: Jenny

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/18/05 10:47 PM

I just finished Shady Brook (it was a great game, Chris, my heartiest congratulations!!!), and my advice would be to turn up your sound so the music is a little too loud, and the voices should be quite understandable.

But I know what you mean--I would certainly love to have subtitles in Spanish games...
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/18/05 11:03 PM

I always always play with subtitles on as I often cannot understand the dialogue---Subtitles are a must!
Posted By: Mikael

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/19/05 12:03 AM

I'm happy to tell you that our next game will have subtitles. I always prefer to have them on in games myself, although I dislike subtitles in movies for some reason.
Posted By: Jenny

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/19/05 12:09 AM

Great, Mikael--will there be the option to have them off or on?

And more important, when will the next game come out... think
Posted By: The Parrot

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/19/05 12:47 AM

It's been noted wink it's easy to forget, I suppose, as a developer you've been over your text again and again until you can wake up and say it without a second thought (and since I'm acting in my game I'll actually have to know it that well, come to think of it).

Optional subtitles! smile
Posted By: metamorphium

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/19/05 08:23 AM

Optional subtitles is a must in my opinion. So count with them in Destinies too. laugh

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/20/05 07:35 AM

Thanks to you all for the response. bravo
I'm looking forward to your new games!
thanks
Posted By: Jenna

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/21/05 05:16 PM

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I find sounds to be kind of distracting. I always prefer to turn all the sounds off (voices and music) and just read the subtitles.
Posted By: Becky

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/21/05 06:10 PM

Mikael -- not even a bit of info on your new game? I'll say the magic word.
Posted By: Alan Thorn

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/21/05 06:14 PM

My game, Meet The Creeper will have subtitles wherever required. There will be an option to disable them for people who dislike them
Posted By: JohnBoy

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/21/05 06:15 PM

I find the subtitles distracting. I always turn them off, turn up the voice and lower the music. I like the sound effects set at midway. laugh

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/21/05 11:25 PM

I think that the best thing to do would be to put optional subtitling, so everyone is happy! smile
Posted By: Mikael

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/22/05 11:13 PM

Becky -- In a couple of days. We just have to decide on a title.

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/23/05 12:15 AM

happydance happydance happydance
Posted By: FeathersMcGraw

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/23/05 04:20 AM

I also think subtitles are very important, in game and during the videos.

A related topic is deaf gamers. See DeafGamers.com for example. When you´re working on subtitles you could extend your effort a little bit to make sure your game can be solved without audio.
Posted By: mulawa1

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/24/05 02:12 AM

Well, I'm trying to go one better with my next game - no words at all! This is proving to be an exciting challenge! Before you get too excited ... the finished product is at least 2 years away!

Peter
Posted By: Mad

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/24/05 03:35 AM

Hi smile

How did I not find this thread till now ???? rolleyes

I am a great believer in the need for subtitles and am very disappointed when there aren't any eek

Cheers.

Mad wave
Posted By: HorseDancer

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/24/05 03:59 AM

Hi!
I need the subtitles, too! I can't always understand the sound rolleyes so the subtitles help me. Being able to turn them off for folks who find them distracting is a good idea, too!
thanks

HorseDancer

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/24/05 04:52 AM

Hi Peter -- well, I DO like this thread. Any additional info about your new game? wave
Posted By: nickie

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/24/05 08:48 PM

That sounds ideal, Alan, with the option to turn them on or off. wave
Posted By: mulawa1

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/25/05 05:58 AM

Hi Becky,

Nearer to release there'll be HEAPS of info - for the moment, suffice to say that we're very excited about it and aficionados of Peter Smith's article will be well pleased.

Peter

Re: An appeal to all the indipendent developers - 08/25/05 10:55 AM

Looking forward to the HEAPS. Thanks!

(For anyone who hasn't read Peter Smith's article yet, you can find it here.)
© 2024 GameBoomers Community