GB HOMEPAGE

What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game?

Posted By: Tempora

What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/02/05 04:57 PM

What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game?
For example do you prefer mechanical or Inventory-Based puzzles?
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/02/05 05:02 PM

Tempora...I am moving this to Discussions. In Mixed Bags we talk about non-game related items.
To find your post please click on the link above.

Ana wave
Posted By: gymcandy1

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/02/05 05:23 PM

Personally I like the ones where you flip a switch and something works! thumbsup

wave joe
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/02/05 06:17 PM

Good question, and I see you got your avatar laugh

I tend to like inventory based puzzles, or very logical ones--I loved the 'frescoe' puzzles in Echo.

Hate hate hate Sliders and can't hear well enough to do musical ones--
Posted By: DocPaul

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/02/05 06:17 PM

I prefer puzzles that have solutions that are given somewhere else in the game. Inventory ones are good. I don't like ones that all one can do is keep trying random patterns, or ones that are very, very complex but don't give clues to solving them anywhere else in the game.

Paul
Posted By: olderone

I don't mind sliders, I think I like inventory based puzzles over mechanical.
Posted By: Tempora

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/02/05 09:39 PM

My favourite puzzles are alchemy puzzles
Posted By: Jenny

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/02/05 10:51 PM

I like the inventory based puzzles, but I can put up with almost any kind as long as there are NO SLIDERS... slapforehead
Posted By: Ditlihi

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/02/05 11:03 PM

My question is why do more and more games seem to put mechanical,slider and other complex fustrating puzzles which require quick action responses that require pushing several keys all at once or timed puzzles.I have bought so many games recently that involve so many of these fustrating puzzles that I just quit
Posted By: Tyke

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/03/05 12:03 AM

I like most puzzles (even sliders)....but I hate maths puzzles and chess puzzles! eek

Sue wave
Posted By: Jenny

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/03/05 12:41 AM

Ditlihi, I think this is all part of a trend to put more action in adventure games, in the hope of drawing more action fans. But what really happens, I think, is that the increased amounts of action just turn off the adventure players, and have just the opposite effect than was intended... frown
Posted By: Mad

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/03/05 03:36 AM

Hi smile

Inventory based would be my first choice - and I really don't mind sliders - but, like Tyke, I HATE most maths puzzles.
[OK with most of the chess though wink ]

I'm not big on mechanical puzzles either.
The sciences were never my best subjects. I am an "art" person lol

My biggest hate though is a timed sequence that ends in death when you don't get it right.
Aggghhhhhh !!!! mad

[Mustn't get onto THAT subject again wave
Posted By: Scarlet

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/03/05 03:51 AM

I like almost all puzzles except timed and sliders. Somehow I get through the sliders but I don't know how.
wave
Posted By: minibramble

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/03/05 09:01 AM

I like inventory puzzles that involve putting things together to make a new thing that makes the puzzle work.
I HATE timed puzzles because I can never do them.
minibramble
Posted By: Leeana

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/03/05 02:13 PM

Mazes. Mazes, Mazes Thats the one I love the most I even like the maze in the, "Shinning" Didnt you all love that movie wish I could find a place that sells the movie?!
Posted By: wysewomon

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/03/05 04:11 PM

I like mechanical puzzles, particularly ones where the solution or keys to the solution are spread throughout other parts of the game and you have to make an intuitive leap to "get" it (Like in Riven).

Inventory puzzles just don't seem like puzzles to me. They seem like make-work.

WW
Posted By: mavisb

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/03/05 11:31 PM

Good question! I like any kind of puzzle except a timed one.
Posted By: connie

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/04/05 10:45 AM

I like inventory puzzles and hate timed and mechanical.I'm not wild about sliders but can live with them. wave
Posted By: Tyke

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/04/05 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LEEANA:
[qb] Mazes. Mazes, Mazes Thats the one I love the most I even like the maze in the, "Shinning" Didnt you all love that movie wish I could find a place that sells the movie?! [/qb]
Hi Leeana wave

You can buy 'The Shining' at Amazon.com price $11.99. thumbsup

Sue wave
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/04/05 01:35 PM

I like mechanical puzzles where you can manipulate an object in the game and see the result and figure out from that result how to solve the puzzle.

I like being able to combine and take apart items in inventory the way you do in Return to Mysterious Island. But I don't like searching for hard-to-find inventory items with tiny hotspots in the game environment.

I don't like closed mazes, especially uninsteresting ones like sewer mazes. Open mazes like the one in Sanitarium are OK.

I don't like conversation puzzles, which are about as much fun as sitting through phone menus. An example of a conversation puzzle is the old people at the end of Atlantis 3 = Beyond Atlantis 2. Pure trial and error finding out what their answers are.

It should go without saying that I don't like dexterity dependent puzzles in an adventure game.
Posted By: wysewomon

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/04/05 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny100:
I don't like conversation puzzles, which are about as much fun as sitting through phone menus.

rotfl

I agree there! That's one reason I don't tend to like 3rd person games as much.

WW
Posted By: Salar of Myst

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/04/05 08:59 PM

I enjoy the most mechanical puzzles like the ones in Myst/Riven & Nancy Drew, laugh and 'reactive' puzzles like the crabs in Path of the Shell. happydance

I get kick out of using a map properly too.

I don't mind sliders or mazes, though some examples have cost me some hair blush

I sincerely dislike timed, 'deadly' puzzles with sloppy controls. Some nights I still feel bad about all the quantum Stobbards, Roger Wilcos, and King Grahams that are no more... lol

Susan wave
Posted By: Sandy Sleuth

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/05/05 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny:
I like the inventory based puzzles, but I can put up with almost any kind as long as there are [b]NO SLIDERS... slapforehead [/b]
I'm with you on that one, my friend! Hate sliders!!
Mazes are a close second! Inventory based puzzles are my favorites!
Posted By: Rushes

Re: What type of puzzles do you prefer when you are playing an adventure game? - 09/05/05 04:34 PM

I enjoy the inventory puzzles too. Sliders are also quite fun, and any jigsaw-type puzzle. As long as the puzzle has some sort of logic and doesn't require extraordinary powers of ESP to solve the darned thing, then it's OK with me. laugh

Anything remotely mathematical is likely to have me tearing my hair out within minutes. And timed puzzles are a pest and a nuisance!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community