GB HOMEPAGE

Worst adventure game?

Posted By: Meltsi

Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 04:09 PM

I know this must be hard to even think about bad adventure games, but cmon there must be something like that. I haven't played Simon 3D but after all rewiews and stuff i have been reading about it, i say
it's the worst. mad
Posted By: nickie

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 04:38 PM

This kind of question crops up from time to time, and begs the further question, if you mean what was disliked or what was put together in a jumble. I really enjoyed Simon 3D, and it was well crafted. Worst for me is no contest - I'll name Fork in the Tale every time. laugh
Posted By: Betty Lou

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 04:42 PM

I am sure I played Simon 3D but the ole memory slips a bit now and then, I think I liked it. For a LOT of us here on GB the "worst game" was Forever Worlds, didn't seem to make much sense and many of us played it all the way thru then said "HUH?" think laugh woozy -
Love, Betty Lou :kiss:
Posted By: Rushes

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 05:55 PM

For me, it would have to be Conspiracies, no contest. Grainy FMV... awful garish & blocky graphics... incomprehensible "puzzles"... ouch, it was almost painful to play the dratted game. So I didn't; I uninstalled it. It's now gathering dust in a corner. An almighty pox on it! lol
Posted By: Tyke

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 06:13 PM

I Loved all the Simon games, and I found Simon 3D to be as enjoyable and hilarious (more so) as the others...OK!...there is one annoying, impossible (in my case) timed sequence, and some arcade puzzles in it...but I will always be grateful to Simon 3D...for helping me to find my way to Gameboomers!!!...Rock on, Simon! happydance bravo

Can't wait for Simon 4. bravo

I haven't played Forever Worlds...so I may have escaped the 'worst' adventure game. lol

Sue laugh
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 06:50 PM

I think I nominated Conspiracies last time this subject came up - I think Rushes has said it all! - but I had forgotton about Forever Worlds -for me that is No 1! Followed by in no particular order: Conspiracies (but I might finish that one day to find out the ending!), Adventures of the Chateau D'Or and more recently The Forgotton which was obviously intended to have some sequels - it was quite enjoyable but very badly put together! and very annoying to play!
Posted By: sami5901

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 07:12 PM

I'm sure it has to be forever Worlds. I've tried to go back and play it several times but get so fustrated with the game I just quit. rolleyes
Posted By: CBSection31

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 07:52 PM

For me, The Watchmaker. smile

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 08:21 PM

But CBSection The Watchmaker won awards! - I don't know who decided this but I enjoyed the game - I thought the story was reasonable - but swapping inventory items when your 'miles' apart just isn't logical (that did happen didn't it? - it was a long time ago I played!) - also the voice acting as I remember was awful - especially the wife! I do remember starting this game and thinking whoever made this hasn't quite got the hang of making adventure games - but I did like it in the end but didn't think it was worthy of any awards!
Posted By: niteowl07

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 09:42 PM

for me,aura -i was bored with it,didn't get the puzzles,thought my character looked dumb/goofy,and i never did finish it.and that's just to name a few things i didn't like !!but then again,that game was well liked by a lot of people,soo....i guess it does depend on what you mean by worst - glitches,graphics,puzzles,story ??
Posted By: Ivinia

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 10:19 PM

Forever Worlds. I never felt so ripped off with a purchase before.

The Forgotten. Another rip off, one hour game for $20 that never amounted to anything.

Tac should issue out a free game coupons for anyone who provides proof of purchase for those two games.
Posted By: Dudemom_2000

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 11:45 PM

Forever Worlds. Ugh. That game really turned me off. Our luck someone will come out with a sequel.... Generally I am pretty tolerant of games but this one came to near impossible to like.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 11:48 PM

Forever Worlds was a train wreck. I just bought another game on eBay that has one of the worst reputations ever: The Scroll. lol And I blame my purchase on Syd. wink Will The Scroll be worse than Forever Worlds? I guess I'll find out. laugh
Posted By: Susie07

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/18/06 11:52 PM

Hi, everyone!

If we're talking about the game we hated the most, I can't decide between "Conspiracies" and "Missing", so I'll declare it a tie lol !

I agree with everything Rushes said about "Conspiracies" (I also uninstalled it halfway through), and "Missing" was nothing more than a series of annoying arcade puzzles with a few videos thrown in for good measure. I was really looking forward to playing both of them, and ended up being extremely disappointed.

Susan
Posted By: Ivinia

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 12:02 AM

Oh yes! How could I have forgotten about Missing? I was never able to play that one for too long once it was apparent that the game was pretty much a series of arcade games. frown

Never did play Conspiracies. Looks like that's a good thing too! lol
Posted By: AngieB

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 12:11 AM

Chateau d' bore--oops I mean Chateau d'or....
Posted By: Melanie1

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 12:23 AM

The worst game made would have to be hands down & forever, Forever Worlds. What a ripoff!

Melanie

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 12:38 AM

And I LOVED Conspiracies! Go figure! Had me laughing at some of the antics in it, especially the bra bomb and climbing the fallen light pole then falling off and through the pavement below, quite a view of the sky/stars from under the tarmac! It is a keeper for me and one I will play again, looking forward to the sequel....."to each his own" laugh
Love, Betty Lou :kiss:
Posted By: CBSection31

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chrissie:
But CBSection The Watchmaker won awards! - I don't know who decided this but I enjoyed the game - I thought the story was reasonable - but swapping inventory items when your 'miles' apart just isn't logical (that did happen didn't it? - it was a long time ago I played!) - also the voice acting as I remember was awful - especially the wife! I do remember starting this game and thinking whoever made this hasn't quite got the hang of making adventure games - but I did like it in the end but didn't think it was worthy of any awards!
Wow, I never knew it won awards. I guess my opinion is different than most. think

What bothered me most was - as you stated - the voice acting. It was the only game I had to ever quit playing because it was so awful.

Maybe I should give it a second shot. smile

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 03:36 AM

I thought Watchmaker was a good game too. The voice acting left something to be desired but wasn't worse than some other games I've played. It has an interesting story and great graphics. I think you should give it another shot, CB. smile

wave Melanie
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 04:22 AM

Hey ALL....

Missing since Jan.was the worst game I ever played Flush it......What a stupid game.made no sense.and was a bore
Posted By: lkgregorio

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 04:26 AM

For me, it was "Missing", and the title is just how I felt about it.

It was missing everything that I enjoy in adventure games. LOU sleep
Posted By: dudemako

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 04:51 AM

Am I the only one that hated "Black Dahlia"? It never seemed to work right & the puzzles were beyond my attention span. I still have it if anyone wants it.
Posted By: Robert

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 06:51 AM

Man , I can't remember the name of that thing , but I hated it . Maybe someone can help me out here .

Your character is a student ( MIT I think ) and he has to rescue this girl from these mafia guys and she leads him on a quest for some artifact having to do with her father who was murdered by the mafia in the opening scene . There was this puzzle that involved turning lipsticks into bullets and....that's where I had to bail..... think
Posted By: Skye

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 07:24 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here with Blown Away. It was supposedly based on a movie of the same name. Anyway, the game promised to be challenging with puzzles that changed. I barely got through the first few scenes.

It's packed away in a box up in the attic somewhere. . . . .
Posted By: Becky

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 09:19 AM

Robert -- I think you are referring to Runaway. lol It does take awhile to get used to the game's wacky charm.
Posted By: Pib

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 09:29 AM

In addition to Forever Worlds -

Drowned God - gads that game was painful.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 11:00 AM

A Quiet Weekend in Capri was the worst game for me. It was boring with very little plot. More like a travel log of pictures. sleep
Posted By: joanieS

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 12:07 PM

It is so great to get such a variety of tastes on GameBoomers. Viva le differance! Or, however you spell in French.
Intersting because I really liked Simon, The Watchmaker, and LOVED Capri. thumbsup

I would have to chose Conspiracies because I lasted just 10 or 15 minutes (two tries) into this game and shelved it.

There is another game which I can't remember the name of. Had something to do with the word Night in the title. Was extremely short, didn't seem to be going anywhere and was supposed to be a forerunner to another game. Don't think a whole lot of people played it but remember reading bad comments about it on GameBoomers.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 04:02 PM

I wasn't Nightlong was it? I played it twice and don't remember a lot about it but it must have been interesting enough to hold my attention, it is on my keeper shelf in the closet......
Love, Betty Lou
Posted By: Syberian

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 04:10 PM

Have to agree with Niteowl, Aura was certainly my worst adventure game, but a few have pushed it close to that coverted spot lol
Posted By: wysewomon

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 04:30 PM

It's always so interesting to see what people post on this type of thread. I see a few new entries--I don't remember Aura being mentioned before. And I remember when Robert tried to play Runaway! laugh I think I told you not to play Monkey Island if you didn't like that one...

My nominees remain pretty much the same:

Traitor's Gate--clunky interface, really illogical plot, too steep learning curve, just boring. The first game I adandoned.

Thorgal's Quest--whoever said this was an adventure game? I just loved trying to find the exact right pixel on the screen to stand on so I could bean that guy with a rock...

And new additions:

Frankenstein TTEOTM--sorry, Betty Lou, I know you said this was delicious, but I couldn't get through it! The proportion of maze to plot was way too high!

Myst V--never thought I'd put a Myst game on any kind of "worst of" list, but this one resembled a marketing demo that never got properly developed.

WW

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 04:37 PM

hey - robert - i could take runaway off your hands if you still have it, and save you ! let me know... rotfl
Posted By: DanF

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 04:54 PM

Threads like this are always interesting. Susie07 had it right. Missing Since January is absolutely the worst game ever, but it doesn't even qualify as an adventure game. Conspiracies would be right behind it.

I don't review games, but I always give a score to a game when I finish playing it and record it for future reference. Here are the worst games on my list with their scores (out of 10).

Missing Since January - 1.7
Conspiracies - 1.8
The C.H.A.O.S. Continuum - 2.0
Azrael's Tear - 2.1
Schizm - 2.9
Crystal Key - 3.6
Drowned God - 3.6
Seven Games of the Soul - 4.0
Riddle of the Sphinx - 4.0

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 05:14 PM

I loved Runaway, it had such a daft sense of humour! laugh

And ohhh WW, you have just brought the horror of Frankenstein TTEOTM back to my memory. This completely addled my brains; it was just one dark, monotonous passageway after another, and the navigation was horrible. I decided to give it a go because the very wonderful Tim Curry appeared in it, but even he couldn't save this dog's dinner of a game. frown
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 05:44 PM

It is great to see the variety of tastes here--which is what makes the world go around!

I loved Riddle of the Sphinx and am playing Runaway and think it is a hoot--

Isn't it great that there is something for everyone out there laugh
Posted By: gremlin

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanF:
Missing Since January - 1.7
Conspiracies - 1.8
The C.H.A.O.S. Continuum - 2.0
Not played.

Quote:
Azrael's Tear - 2.1
Tried, and couldn't play.

Quote:
Schizm - 2.9
Brilliant, as is the followup Mysterious Journey II, but I don't I couldn't get into Sentinel, which appears to be very similar.

Quote:
Crystal Key - 3.6
So-so, didn't bother finishing, might return to it.

Quote:
Drowned God - 3.6
Not played.

Quote:
Seven Games of the Soul - 4.0
Outstanding and quirky!

Quote:
Riddle of the Sphinx - 4.0
Excellent - I loved this.

My second least favourite game that I've actually put any time into would be the follow up to RotS, The Omega Stone - so yawn-worthy I just had to give up.

And the worst? Mystery of the Druids ... total clap-trap.

Gremlin

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 07:20 PM

You're right - it's always interesting to see games you liked are despised by some, and vice versa. However,I have yet to see someone say they liked Fork in the Tale, The Scroll or Forever Worlds, so I have to think those are the winners. laugh
Posted By: tinagoss

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 07:30 PM

I have to agree with an earlier post about A Quiet Weekend in Capri. I was bored to tears and I felt like I was continually looking for my travel guide. It's definitely no contest that Forever Worlds was the worst every, but (and I know I'm probably going to get a backlash for this one, but here goes)I absolutely hated Alida. Again, boooorrrrrrinnnnng. The graphics were beautiful, but it seemed extremely tedious and way too quiet.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Becky:
Robert -- I think you are referring to Runaway. lol It does take awhile to get used to the game's wacky charm.
That's the one Becky smile . It was cute and all that...but I kept having to look at walkthroughs to do those strange illogical puzzles .

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wysewomon:
And I remember when Robert tried to play Runaway! laugh I think I told you not to play Monkey Island if you didn't like that one
Hi WW wave , yep , that was me . I still have Escape From Monkey Island . I might just give a try when I'm in the mood for a little frustration smile

Quote:
Originally posted by niteowl07:
hey - robert - i could take runaway off your hands if you still have it, and save you ! let me know... rotfl
Sorry Niteowl , I traded that dude right away .
Posted By: SirDave

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/19/06 09:25 PM

IMO, the problem with some of the posts on this subject are that people confuse 'games that are awful because I really disliked them and any games like them' with 'games that are awful because they were poorly designed, had a lousy plot, were bug-ridden etc.etc.' The latter premise is appropriate whereas the former isn't.

Take Aura. Aura was well-designed with beautiful graphics, many original puzzles, certainly a fairly limited plot and 1st person, point & click all the way. It was an excellent example of that sub-genre of AGs. So, anyone who really disliked it probably doesn't like games of that sub-genre very much if at all. Drowned God, on the other hand, would also be in that sub-genre, but it had limitations having to do with poor design, non-sensical plot etc. that make it a legitimate choice as a rather poor game (even though I rather enjoyed it).

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 12:42 AM

And I LIKED Azrael's Tear and thought it was a really good game. You need a slowdown program to get it to behave on faster computers, though.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 04:41 AM

what would the sub-genre be for Aura ? can someone give me other games in the same sub-genre?

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SirDave:
IMO, the problem with some of the posts on this subject are that people confuse 'games that are awful because I really disliked them and any games like them' with 'games that are awful because they were poorly designed, had a lousy plot, were bug-ridden etc.etc.' The latter premise is appropriate whereas the former isn't.
All of that in the latter premise of your statement(except bug-ridden) , is of course , subject to ones' opinion . Therefore , the first premise of your statement would also apply . It's symantecs smile

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 04:59 AM

hey ,robert , can you answer the question i posted for me , since you're still here ?

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 05:39 AM

Hi Niteowl wave

I already did , but I will again . I traded Runaway not long after I quit and un-installed it . Sorry frown

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 05:41 AM

no no- what is the sub -genre that aura would be ??

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 05:58 AM

As far as I know niteowl , Aura : Fate of Ages is just simply an Adventure Game . If Adventure games have sub-genres , I guess I would call it a sci-fi adventure think

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 06:09 AM

hmmm - interesting - was trying to figure if i was being unfair in my evaluation of it. thanks.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 01:20 PM

Well, I sometimes waste my time thinking up subgenres.

I would say that Aura fits into the Myst-style subgenre. It's puzzle-driven, set in an alien or fantastical environment/time period with a first person viewpoint and without a great deal of character interaction. Other games in the subgenre would be all the Myst games, the RHEM games, the Mysterious Journey/Schizm games, Sentinel: Descendants in Time. (I'm sure I've missed others. Still thinking.)

Amerzone. Alida. Acalius. ECHO: Secrets of the Lost Cavern. Isles of Derek. Bioscopia. Chemicus. Physicus. (Though the last five games have an edutainment aspect, which might make them a sub-sub genre.)

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 03:29 PM

hah - then the comment about me not liking the sub-genre was incorrect .the game did have glitches,needed a patch, and on a personal note the guy looked wooden,..point being we all have our reasons....thanks becky

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 03:52 PM

I wouldn't worry about it Niteowl . Whatever reason you have for disliking a game doesn't make your opinion any less valid that anyone else's . smile wave
Posted By: TuesdayNext

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 04:44 PM

I really enjoyed Runaway - I even played it twice. I also liked Black Dahlia - I think I played that one three times. As to the games I did not like, Midnight Nowhere would be one because I got stuck at a certain part and couldn't get past it despite many suggestions from 'boomers. Another one would be Legacy Dark Shadows - it had so many glitches that I never made it through the game. Schizm (CD version) was terrible (maybe some day I'll try the DVD version). Last but not least was Alida and that's only because I didn't have the skills to make it through without extensive use of a walkthrough.

tuesday next

tuesday next

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 05:02 PM

hehe - i'm not worried - i was just kinda curious

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 07:15 PM

Hmm, it's funny to me, I don't like that sub-genre (or type of game if you prefer) but I sure did enjoy Aura. But it sounds like I didn't run into glitches like some other folks did, which I know can be an enjoyment suppressor. Of course, I'm in the minority of people that really liked Jazz and Faust, so what do I know. laugh
Posted By: Rowan

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 07:26 PM

I thought Tony Tough was one of the worst games because of the assinine comments that constantly drivelled from his lips ... What's a game after you've strangled the main character?
evil
Posted By: oldman

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 07:29 PM

Of Light and Darkness is one of the few games that I couldn't even get past the first sequence. It so confused me that I gave up and uninstalled it and never went back to it.

Also in Koala Lumpur there was an arcade sequence that I couldn't do in the middle of the game and there was no work around so I scrapped it as well.

Those two are at the top of my list.
Posted By: joanieS

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 07:37 PM

Betty Lou, it is interesting to note, speaking of worst adventure games, that it speaks volumes when you look at your collection of old games and can't remember, even when reading the manual, anything about the game.
I DO have Nightlong, but don't remember it at all. However, looking at the manual I think Nightlong is too long for this short game I am thinking of. So, not very close to what I thought was part of the title, looking at all my old games I am thinking the game I couldn't think of is The Forgotten. Does anyone remember THAT game? Or, have we all conveniently "forgotten" that one?
lol

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 07:47 PM

The Forgotten Night? lol A lot of us were unhappy when the promised sequels failed to materialize after the short "The Forgotten". I enjoyed playing it though, just was unhappy that there wasn't more to it.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 08:00 PM

Rowan -- wanna step outside for a minute? Tony Tough is my favorite.

Okay -- the game that left me feeling the worst when I finally completed it -- Lighthouse. The puzzles gave me an apoplectic fit and I considered inflicting grave bodily harm upon the CD.

The game that had me saying "Tsk, tsk" pretty much throughout -- Cold Case Files.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 08:06 PM

lol Now see what you've done, Rowan! Isn't it funny that for almost all the games named as worst, someone else really likes them! Again, if someone liked Fork in the Tale, Forgotten Worlds or The Scroll, I would love to have you speak up and say why you did. No one will be allowed to say bad things about you. And I'll add "9" to the mix, because I think I recall a couple of people saying they did like it, and I thought it was an utter catastrophe.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 08:16 PM

Hi nickie laugh -- well, Fork in the Tale has a clever title, Forgotten Worlds has a very nice box and CD case, and The Scroll makes me think of Syd, who is loverly.

So I like all of them. Of course, I haven't played any of them, which is perhaps why I still like them.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 08:53 PM

lol

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 09:02 PM

Uh, Oh, Becky! evil

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 10:37 PM

rotfl You could uncork the bottle whenever you wanted one of Tony's words of um, wisdom.

You know, that was one of my frustrations with Lighthouse.

Ending spoiler -- Lighthouse
@
@
@
@
@
I didn't feel satisfied with my disposal of the villain. I felt it was just a matter of time before he washed up on the beach somewhere where some unsuspecting soul would open up the bottle.

Hmmm. Maybe the Dark Being is a genie? eek
@
@
@
@
@
@
@
Posted By: Retired at last

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/20/06 10:44 PM

I haven't played as many games as most people at Gameboomers.
But for me the worst one is Adventure at Chateau
d'Or. duh what a waste of time.
I started it yesterday and this afternoon I chucked it in the garbage - went back and retrived it in case someone wants it - all you have to do is pay the postage. laugh

===========================================
The game has been requested by looney4labs
on Sat Jan 21
===========================================

In the future I will be reading reviews and
checking on Topic forums to see what people think about games they are playing.

Retired wave

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 12:08 AM

Quote:
I didn't feel satisfied with my disposal of the villain. I felt it was just a matter of time before he washed up on the beach somewhere where some unsuspecting soul would open up the bottle.
If he survived the explosion of the Volcano.... think Lighthouse 2 , now that's a game I could get into .
Posted By: dale3mike

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 12:09 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Forever Worlds.

The only way that I can see anyone NOT saying Forever Worlds, is if they haven't played it. It was the buggiest piece of (euphemism for doo-doo) software that I have ever installed on a computer, as well as the most incomprehensible game I have ever played.

Mike (Still in therapy for having had the Forever Worlds trauma)

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 12:35 AM

This is a fun thread. laugh I wonder if after reading these posts there will be someone who thinks to themselves: "Well now, I really HAVE to buy Forever Worlds to see what all the fuss is about." lol I haven't played the game, but from all the descriptions here it sounds like a real shocker.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 12:41 AM

There is none worse: The Daedalus Encounter
Posted By: SirDave

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 01:01 AM

Quote:
Well, I sometimes waste my time thinking up subgenres.

I would say that Aura fits into the Myst-style subgenre. It's puzzle-driven, set in an alien or fantastical environment/time period with a first person viewpoint and without a great deal of character interaction. Other games in the subgenre would be all the Myst games, the RHEM games, the Mysterious Journey/Schizm games, Sentinel: Descendants in Time. (I'm sure I've missed others. Still thinking.)

Amerzone. Alida. Acalius. ECHO: Secrets of the Lost Cavern. Isles of Derek. Bioscopia. Chemicus. Physicus. (Though the last five games have an edutainment aspect, which might make them a sub-sub genre.)
Becky is absolutely correct. The other sub-genre would be 3rd person, plot-based, dialogue-strong games such as Gabriel Knight.

And as far as the Aura issue is concerned: Of course, anyone who so desires can decide that it's a matter of taste or opinion whether it's a lousy game, but FWIW, they would be out of sync with about 99.99% of people who like 1st person, point & clock, puzzle-based games. Also, the fact that it required a patch means nothing. Almost every AG that is released ends up with a patch at some point or other.
Posted By: syd

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 01:34 AM

Becky :kiss:

Nickie I've tried four times to play A Fork in the Tale - no can do - that game is in a total class by itself.

There's another "game" and I use the word "game" loosely out there called "Gothos" - Has anyone but me tried to play that sucker? I think only four copies were sold and I have one of them lol

Marian you're going to love, just love, The Scroll rotfl

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 01:43 AM

Syd, I'm sure I'll find The Scroll an interesting experience. wink

Gothos, you say? It just so happens I have one of those four copies. I picked it up on eBay a few months ago. It really looks......cheesy. lol

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 01:50 AM

You two girls have Baager Syndrome . I'll bet you have more games than shoes . smile

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 01:51 AM

Oh dear Marian you're further gone than I thought evil And cheesy pretty much describes it. Maybe we need to have a Gothos-a-thon laugh

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 01:52 AM

Syd, I had no idea you had that charmer in your collection - I should have known! lol I think it is some developer's nightmare that he put on CD - completely incomprehensible. And hey, I have one of the other Gothos, but I think it is hiding somewhere with Silver (I'd forgotten about those two).

Are we allowed to giggle a little when Marian plays The Scroll? evil

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 01:54 AM

nickie I think a giggle would be in order - but a dignified giggle laugh Silver, you say? Well..... guess what I have? razz

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 02:18 AM

Oh nooooooo! slapforehead I don't have that! Do you happen to have Lords of Tantrazz? I would like to play it someday, but I don't think anyone has ever successfully completed it.

Edit : I first put Lords of Flatbush, got it mixed up with the movie. Don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, Syd! laugh

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 02:36 AM

Lords of Flatbush??? Accck - a game I don't have woozy

Must find game, must find game.

Edit your edit : Lords of Tantrazz???? Accck - a game I don't have lol
Posted By: TuesdayNext

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 02:37 AM

Rowan, I'm playing Tony Tough right now and I think it is hilarious. I can't wait for the second game in the series to come out.

tuesday next
Posted By: Mordack

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 02:49 AM

I don't remember the name of my worst game but I recall it's about this middle age techie type guy who's always thinking up these little devious electronic circuits in the basement lab of a police department and he...oh wait....never mined that's my...hmmm...real life....sorry 'bout that. Any who, back to my alternate reality.

Mordack
Posted By: Legolas813

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 03:01 AM

Journey to the Center of the Earth is definitely one of the worst adventure games ever made.
Posted By: ron.etti

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 05:39 AM

9 last resort s***ed.there i said it.....
Posted By: oldman

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 05:42 AM

Odd reading these posts. One persons trash is another's treasure.

Oh and Syd, I have the 4th copy of Gothos. I even played it half way through then changed computers and never did install it on the newer computer.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Retired at last:
I haven't played as many games as most people at Gameboomers.
But for me the worst one is Adventure at Chateau
d'Or. duh what a waste of time.
Really sorry to hear that, Retired. I just bought it and have it sitting in my 'immediate' stack. frown

At least Forever Worlds has some collector viability. I'm holding onto it for posterity. I never saw such a buggy, ridiculous & annoying game before or since. I think it's the most hated newer game around. The Scroll seems to take the prize for the older games but I haven't played that one.

Melanie

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 03:09 PM

Rushes! - you are very right! - I have seen a lot of games mentioned here that will stick in my mind as someone else's idea of BAD! - I would now be tempted to pick them up to see for myself (but only if they were very, very cheap!)

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 05:53 PM

Wow! This thread has really taken off since the last time I checked in.

I like the humour I'm seeing here this time around. Sometimes when a "worst game" thread gets started, it can get mean-spirited--but that doesn't seem to be happening this time. Kudos, everyone.

"The Forgotten" was one of the first games I played and it was so buggy I could barely get through it. Plus, it was short and unfinished. I don't mind planning a game series from the get go, but you should make a distinction between the big story arc and the small story arc. So each installment brings you to a resolution--maybe a cliffhanger, but still some form of resolution-- rather than leaving you feeling like you played a game with a lot of stuff missing.

WW

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 09:23 PM

Robert,

About your comment concerning shoes versus games: you are correct. Let's just say that my shoes are one grain of sand and my games are the entire beach. lol

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 09:45 PM

lol Marian! I'm glad I don't have a thing for shoes like I do for games and books and a few other things - geesh, this house is crowded enough! Imelda Marcos I am not.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 09:53 PM

Quote:
I don't mind planning a game series from the get go, but you should make a distinction between the big story arc and the small story arc. So each installment brings you to a resolution--maybe a cliffhanger, but still some form of resolution-- rather than leaving you feeling like you played a game with a lot of stuff missing.

WW -- excellent point. Maybe for The Forgotten, adventure developers hadn't quite realized how to do this yet. Now they're doing it. I think the AGON series, the Bone series and the Delaware St. John series manage this feat rather well.

As for the shoes -- if I had as many shoes as I have adventure games, I'd have to add a wing onto my house just to store them.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marian:
Robert,

About your comment concerning shoes versus games: you are correct. Let's just say that my shoes are one grain of sand and my games are the entire beach. lol
lol Games are a lot more fun than shoes .

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 10:25 PM

Shoes - 3 pr.

Games - a lot more laugh

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/21/06 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wysewomon:

"The Forgotten" was one of the first games I played and it was so buggy I could barely get through it. Plus, it was short and unfinished. I don't mind planning a game series from the get go, but you should make a distinction between the big story arc and the small story arc.

WW
Here we go again. lol & rotfl

I liked The Forgotten and wished there was more. I played on xp and don't remember experiencing any bugs just that it could have been longer but some of the new games like Delaware St John are as short from what I've heard.

Melanie

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chrissie:
[qb] Rushes! - you are very right! - I have seen a lot of games mentioned here that will stick in my mind as someone else's idea of BAD! - I would now be tempted to pick them up to see for myself (but only if they were very, very cheap!) [/qb]
If I ever see Forever Worlds selling at around the £5 mark, then I don't think I'll be able to stop myself. :lol

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert:
Games [b]are a lot more fun than shoes . [/b]
Like Becky said, they also take up a LOT more room! lol

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 01:11 AM

I hope I don't get in trouble for this but , judging from the posts that you ladies have wrote about games and shoes , I would venture to guess that any woman who loves Adventure games , or any genre probably doesn't have many pairs of shoes . Just enough to get by I would think , and maybe even a couple of pairs with holes in them . " These shoes will last a while longer , I want that new game I read about at Gameboomers that's supposed to be awful " laugh

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 01:41 AM

I don't know about that, Robert. We all seem to know how much space a lot of shoes take up.
lol & rotfl

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 02:35 AM

You don't need shoes when ordering on-line. rotfl

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 04:19 AM

correct , Rowan rotfl
Posted By: fildil

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 04:20 AM

Did someone mention Imelda Marcos? Maybe it's because my father was born in the Philippines but I have loads and loads of shoes to go with my loads and loads of games. lol I can't really pick a worst adventure game, because somehow I'm mechanically challenged and any game that I have to fix things or get things to work is a worst game for me.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 06:00 AM

funny someone mentioned alida - i 'm playing this now and am absolutely awe-struck by this game and the mind that created it -wonderful. i am always so amazed by how varied are the tastes of all of us,and i hope i can find shoes to go with this game.....it's gonna be tough tho'

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 01:18 PM

happydance I like this idea of having a pair of shoes to go with each game! No!- I haven't got that many shoes Robert! (but none of them have holes in them) - so I've got quite a lot of catching up to do now!. But I won't find any for the most money I'd pay for a bad adventure game!.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 01:27 PM

PS Is the idea to wear the shoes while you're playing the game?

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 02:08 PM

Well, I always assumed that sensible people play adventure games while barefoot. But if you're purchasing shoes to go with each game, I suppose you could wear them while playing as a way of "getting into character" for the game.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 02:24 PM

Becky, then we could do entire outfits--really sink deeply into the secenario--I'd be in trouble tho as not many games feature heros in Pajama pants
Posted By: Retired at last

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 03:11 PM

Chateau d'Or offer:

The game has been requested by looney4labs
on Sat Jan 21

Retired
wave

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 03:28 PM

hey ,becky - if i were sensible i wouldn't be up half the night playing Alida to begin with.... laugh

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 06:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't mind planning a game series from the get go, but you should make a distinction between the big story arc and the small story arc. So each installment brings you to a resolution--maybe a cliffhanger, but still some form of resolution-- rather than leaving you feeling like you played a game with a lot of stuff missing.

WW -- excellent point. Maybe for The Forgotten, adventure developers hadn't quite realized how to do this yet. Now they're doing it. I think the AGON series, the Bone series and the Delaware St. John series manage this feat rather well.

As for the shoes -- if I had as many shoes as I have adventure games, I'd have to add a wing onto my house just to store them.
Developers should look to writers of comic books for ways to handle story arcs. You might have an arc that lasts all year, but each installment is coherent. And then, there might be the entire arc of a character--Batman, say--that has to have continuity over many, many story arcs.

As for shoes, I don't generally wear them in the house, but I definitely have a thing about cute shoes. Don't have a pair to go with every game, as they do take up way more space. But probably shoes are the thing I most accumulate, after games and ball caps.

WW

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/22/06 06:35 PM

I would have to put Law & Order: Criminal Intent on the list simply because of the bugs. It was a great game in concept and story line, but the constant crashes and bugs in the game made it absolutely infuriating to play.
Posted By: irishgirl1228

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/23/06 11:39 PM

I agree about Missing. I think it had a great concept but I didn't see the need for stupid games. The Phoenix is supposed to be so intelligent and he spends his time creating arcade games? Please.

I also found Post Mortem disappointing. I played it after Still Life (which is an awesome game) and didn't find the story nearly as compelling.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/23/06 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by irishgirl1228:
I agree about Missing. I think it had a great concept but I didn't see the need for stupid games. The Phoenix is supposed to be so intelligent and he spends his time creating arcade games?
Hi Irishgirl welcome

I agree , some of those arcade games were pretty frustrating , especially if your mouse isn't 100% .

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/24/06 12:24 AM

Thanks for the welcome! Those arcade games reminded me of Atari 2400, way back in the day.

Luckily there are tons of great games to compensate for the not so good ones. happydance

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/24/06 01:00 AM

Quote:

I also found Post Mortem disappointing. I played it after Still Life (which is an awesome game) and didn't find the story nearly as compelling.
I have found that if you play a really great game and follow it by another, the second game can appear worse even though it may have scored better if you hadn't just finished that good one.
Posted By: gremlin

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/24/06 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by looney4labs:
Becky, then we could do entire outfits--really sink deeply into the secenario--I'd be in trouble tho as not many games feature heros in Pajama pants
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy does. ;-)

Gremlin (in pajamas at this very moment due to the fact that his jeans are in the washing machine helping to felt a woolen bag his spouse has just knitted!)

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/25/06 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rowan:
Quote:

I have found that if you play a really great game and follow it by another, the second game can appear worse even though it may have scored better if you hadn't just finished that good one.
You're probably right Rowan. Still Life was really awesome, I was probably bound to be disappointed by the next game. If I had played Post Mortem first, I might have felt differently about it once I finished.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/25/06 01:36 AM

I liked Still Life more than PM partly because Gus's grandaughter had much more personality than he did , I loved her sarcastic humor . She must have gotten it from her mother's side of the family .
Posted By: lexxy

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/25/06 11:42 PM

I would have say Forever Worlds takes first place followed very closely behind it would be Missing .
Posted By: Darlene

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/27/06 02:55 AM

Well...for me it was 'Moment of Silence'...that incessant dialogue! I literally found myself dozing off as I was going through ALL the dialogue choices. It was difficult for me to stay awake. Truly.
Posted By: Duststorm

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/27/06 07:21 PM

Interesting that Tony Tough not only made this thread but also the most obnoxious character thread. "Tony," what a guy.
Posted By: Skyros

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/28/06 09:55 PM

I have to say...Kings Quest VIII:Mask of eternity because that
Posted By: Ozzy

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/29/06 08:30 PM

For me it was Schizm mad mad The puzzles were too hard, it made me shelf the game! The game was pretty to look at, but there is more to a game than a pretty face wave
Posted By: Susie07

Re: Worst adventure game? - 01/29/06 09:40 PM

Hi, Skyros!

This advice may be a little late but, if you still have KQ8 and want to finish, you can play in "God" mode that makes Connor almost invincible (he still dies if he falls and goes splat lol ). "God" mode can be accessed by depressing "Shift+Ctrl+7" at the same time and typing in "God".

I did manage to finish the game in the normal mode but, like you, didn't enjoy the combat because the monsters came at you in packs. When I discovered "God" mode, I replayed and thoroughly enjoyed myself because I was able to mow down the monsters without Connor getting a scratch.

Susan
Posted By: raven07

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/01/06 03:35 AM

Funny, I know a lot of people HATED Missing, but I liked it... except for the ridiculous arcade games, of course. The expansion (13th victim) ruined it for me though, short and senseless... what was that ending about??? Where's Phoenix now, are they planning a sequel??

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/01/06 01:30 PM

raven -- I'm very curous about the 13th Victim. What was it like (just generally)? Did it include any arcade sequences? (I'm wondering if the developers responded to feedback about the original game.)

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/01/06 03:59 PM

Hello Becky duh

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/01/06 04:42 PM

Thanks raven -- sounds like the expansion wasn't that much different than the original game. I wonder if your speculation is correct about when it was written.
Posted By: Gamehound

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/01/06 06:33 PM

Worst? Hmm, that's easy. Cold Case Files.

I didn't get the 13th victim expansion. One, because I disliked the original game so much. Second, because I heard it wasn't compatible with the european version of the game (In Memoriam).

Anyone going to write up a walkthrough for the 13th Victim?

Gamehound
Posted By: MaG

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/01/06 06:36 PM

Hi Gamehound,

How are things? Waiting to see if you like to add to your wt? wave
Posted By: Gamehound

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/01/06 06:43 PM

Things are ok. Computer was down several months at the end of last year. I finally bought a new one instead of continuing the tag game I was playing with the mobo manufacturer.

As far as the In Memoriam walkthrough, I can't play the 13th Victim; it's not compatible with the In Memoriam release of the game. It's only good for Missing: Since January. Maybe someone else can write up the walkthrough for Missing: The 13th victim, and you can add it to my walkthrough giving credit to them at the top for writing up the walkthrough for the expansion.

I don't want to buy the game all over again (the U.S. version) just to play the expansion, so I am going to have to pull myself out of the running for writing the walkthrough for the expansion.

Gameboomers has my complete permission to edit, add to or do whatever they like with my walkthroughs. Just give credit to anyone who adds or edits anything to them. wave

Gamehound

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/02/06 01:17 AM

If you guys want, I can help. I have never done it, but I can send someone the solutions if you prefer. thumbsup
Posted By: Ou Vrou

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/02/06 06:05 AM

Hi,
It is not only a matter of poor games, but we have a limited supply down here, at premium prices. When I finish a game in a week (or in some bad cases a weekend), I cannot justify paying the same price as say Morrowind or Dungeon Siege, Doom, which last me at least 3 weeks or more. What are the price differences in the rest of the world? I only recently discovered and fell in love with adventure games, being a RPG gamer, so have been catching up.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/02/06 06:41 AM

raven07 - that's wonderful of you ! you should go ahead and try it - i 'm sure someone can help you - i haven't played mine yet- it might be awhile..and Ou Vrou - welcome to gameboomers ! prices here in usa vary, but i think about 25$ average,there is also trading and check out the independent page - some very good ones you can get direct.happy gaming !

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/02/06 10:57 AM

Ou Vrou -- you might want to take a look at the "Places to Buy Games" page at Mr. Bill\'s Adventureland. You'll notice that there are listings of online stores for games in New Zealand.

You might also want to consider online stores that ship internationally -- for instance, under the United States stores on Mr. Bill's list, check out Interact and CD ROM Access.
Posted By: sundance kid

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/03/06 04:21 PM

where i live in north west montana adventure games are a rareity, so i depend on friends and GB for all my games and finished every one but one and in my book the worst i ever played graphics to speech and that is pilgrem the prequil to legend of the prophet which i loved,

sorry if there are pigram fans out there just one mans opinion, so if i offended any body i am truly sorry.
hi becky thank you for help today happydance

jimmy thumbsup smile thanks
Posted By: infernoj13usa

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/03/06 06:15 PM

Wow!!!! What a thread!!!

Ok --- here's my two cents.

I think I'm a real "Pollyanna" when it comes to gaming -- I try to "like" or "enjoy" the experience as best I can from the begining.

But there times --- that I have to say --- there are a few that I honestly didn't. Not because of having to tweak my system or add patches, mind you --- or the puzzles are too difficult, etc.

The games that most come to mind are:

Midnight, Nowhere --- just not my cup of tea at all ---

Chateau 'Dor --- I agree that it was tedious (actually put me to sleep)

but the worst -- had to be "The Scroll" --
evil just ask Syd! rotfl rotfl

I also have to say that I really liked A Fork in the Tale -- I had a blast with it.

A Quiet Weekend in Capri --- was brilliant for me -- I had a great time with it.

Different Strokes I guess.

Inferno

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/03/06 06:22 PM

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Law & Order: Criminal Intent. It was a great game (conceptually), but with the endless crashes and bugs (like walking into walls) it was completely exasperating to say the least. I'm glad I finished it, but all those things really took away from the game itself.
Posted By: GingerMac

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/03/06 06:23 PM

I hated -
Watchmaker
Conspiracies
Martin Mystere

three that I can think of at the moment.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/03/06 08:07 PM

What can I say Inferno, I just knew someone would say they loved Fork in the Tale. slapforehead rotfl But I enjoyed Midnight Nowhere, so I guess the only common denominator we have is loving the Delaware games. laugh
Posted By: esube

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/03/06 09:27 PM

The last time this came up I voted for Conspiracies hands down as the worst adventure ever. I still think so. I can't believe they are making a sequel.

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/04/06 02:05 PM

Nickie:
I've never been able to finish A Fork in The Tale,
mind you ---- but I just found what [parts I played hystericly funny.) I play a few scenes of it from time to time when I eed a few laughs.

But as you know-- I'm not in any condition to laugh like that now ---- well for a few weeks anyway ---until I heal. Just the idea of that game makes my ribs start to hurt. heeheehee ouch!

Inferno

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/04/06 05:26 PM

I'm playing Capri now and though I wouldn't put it down as the worst (cause I think the story is fun), I can't understand all the A+ ratings it's got. And these from people whose opinions I respect and usually share. But the wandering around...!! By the time I've got from one place to another, I'm too tired to solve the puzzle. And everything looks the same. I just don't understand how so many people found this interesting.

WW

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/04/06 06:07 PM

I guess it might be how one approaches the game and story. I loved Capri because I love the city of Capri. and I was in the mood to wander through the streets and shops. (I actually just did that the first time around.) When I eventually started to play the adventure --- I followed the verbal clues from the people I spoke with and the items which were collected. So, for my part it had a wonderful flow like a lazy river.

I know many gamers had a hard time and wandered around aimlessly, yet I didn't... can't really give anyone a good answer as to why ... only that is how I seem to approach many of the games I play. Go figure. smile

Inferno

Re: Worst adventure game? - 02/05/06 05:02 PM

Well, that's generally how I play, too, but in this case it didn't seem to help. I think your loving the City of Capri must really be the key. To me, a person with no associations of the place, it's just kind of like looking at someone's 5 million snapshots from their vacation, where the quaint little resaurant with the cute waiter looks exactly like the small bistro where we sang karaoke with the French students, and you had to be there to appreciate either one. Plus, just way too much pixel hunting. Some of the puzzles are really clever, though. If more of the game had been divided up into chunks in discrete areas (like "accomplish a bunch of stuff at Villa Jovis") rather than making you wander all over Robin Hood's barn, I'd really like it.

WW
© 2024 GameBoomers Community