GB HOMEPAGE

To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question

Posted By: Douglas Bregger

To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/18/06 01:14 AM

My apologies to the Bard! rotfl
Do most of you "cheat" and use walkthroughs? I have to concede that I do! I try and play as much as I can, but I almost always get stuck and resort to them. In my pre-net days, I did play a few games to the end without a walkthrough, though.
(By the way, what if Shakespear wrote for games!)
Posted By: Joan A

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/18/06 01:58 AM

If neither my playing partner nor I can get it, we use hints first, then when all else fails, we use a walkthrough. Before the days of the net and walkthroughs, I used to buy the solution guides from the game publisher. Had to use a special pen (also purchased from them) to make the hints appear.

Walkthroughs don't work for sliders frown
Posted By: maggie57

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/18/06 04:31 AM

Hi Douglas= laugh

I will admit to using walkthroughs, I find they do help and on two games I use cheats if not I would be dead in the game all the time. I love gaming and I feel at times a walkthrough is really needed, especially on a difficult RPG.

Maggie happydance wave rolleyes
Posted By: Jenny

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/18/06 05:21 AM

When I used to play games with Syd, we used walkthroughs as the ultimate last resort, but since real life has put an end to our co-gaming, I'll have to admit that I consult them more often than I used to... blush
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/18/06 10:12 AM

I like yo use a walk thru as a guide when necessary and as a check to make sure I didn't miss anything. smile

They are also helpful to explain the concept of a puzzle without giving or using a solution.
Posted By: bermag45

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/18/06 11:33 AM

In the early days, when walkthroughs were few and far between, I managed to conquer 'Reah' but only after several emails to the publisher asking for hints!

Douglas, if Shakespeare wrote games I for one would not buy any - I think his works are the biggest load of absolute twaddle, but of course that is my opinion after having it forced down my throat at school many many years ago! smile

Bernie happydance
Posted By: Becky

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/18/06 11:56 AM

Twaddle? The Bard! lol
Posted By: sarah_ace1

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/18/06 12:23 PM

i'm the type of gamer who loves the story. i sit with walkthrough in hand and doesn't try too hard at the puzzles...

... i also read the last 3 pages of a new book oops
Posted By: Sassafras

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/18/06 01:15 PM

I never use walkthroughs- I think it totally ruins the fun of playing the game! I will go online and peek at hints though = I love UHS! I am cancelling my internet service at home though- so I may need to print them out at work in case I get stuck in the middle of the night!
Posted By: bkrytr

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/18/06 02:19 PM

Walkthroughs, to be sure! happydance
Posted By: granny

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/18/06 11:20 PM

wave You should do a search for threads about using walkthroughs rotfl rotfl We have them all the time, and get some great reason's both pro & con. Usually the pro's votes are more numerous..
Posted By: Jenna

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/18/06 11:51 PM

I do use walk throughs after I have been over the same territory three or four times and have turned up no further clues. I try to be careful though to not reveal more than I want to know. Also, if I'm bored with a game, I will use a walk through to get finished.

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/19/06 01:21 AM

I actually quite enjoy looking at the walkthrough books. Some of them are written in the form of novels, which I think is cool. I've even read some from games I haven't played!
The problem with Shakespeare is that his stuff was written at a time when our language was very different, that's all. (So how about MacBeth, the Game!)
Posted By: nickie

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/19/06 06:46 AM

Do you mean the game Hamlet, Douglas? I would have to describe it as Bernie did on that one! laugh

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/19/06 01:02 PM

The language is glorious. Some of the plots on the other hand....
Posted By: bigbiker2

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/19/06 04:55 PM

I must admit I wouldnt have finished one game without the help of these lovely people who go out of their way to assist us dunces.

I try without a walkthrough but never seem to get very far before I need help.

Also by looking at the walkthrough I can tell if it is a game I would enjoy

Steve

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/20/06 12:54 AM

Say, who are the people who write the walkthroughs, anyway? Are they the programmers themselves?
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/20/06 12:57 AM

Often, they are just folks who like to play the game, and are good at it, and write the walk throughs to help others out--
Posted By: o1alien

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/20/06 01:31 AM

I am playing RHEM at the present time and it is the hardest game I have ever played. I am using the WT all the time or I wouldnt be able to play it at all. As I mentioned in my email for help, it is like a constant maze that never ends. I would be hopelessly lost at all times in this game. I also think the puzzles are very hard. I dont believe a WT takes away from any adventure game, it makes the game more pleasurable for me. smile ET
Posted By: friedmonky

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/20/06 01:53 AM

Walkthroughs rule! bravo (and so do the people that write them laugh )

Hi Sue! :kiss: wink

Rusty wave
Posted By: Jenny

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/20/06 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Bregger:
Say, who are the people who write the walkthroughs, anyway? Are they the programmers themselves?
Actually, Douglas, one of best walkthrough writers on the entire internet is our own webmistress, Marita (aka MaG). I can't imagine how she can get through a game, and get the walkthrough written, at the speed of light, in spite of all the other things she has to do to keep the forum running smoothly... praise

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/20/06 02:41 AM

Marita is amazing. She sees things right away that I don't see until I've looked at the same thing about twenty times.
Posted By: infernoj13usa

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/20/06 01:37 PM

Personally, it sepends on my mood as to whether or not I use a walkthrough. I enjoy MaG's walkthroughs and a few others because of the way they are written... more like a comentary instead of just dry directions (such as go here --- move left 7X ---turn right once --- shake your leg and whistle "Dixie" etc...)... For me thier are almost like having a playing partner.

inferno
Posted By: Nanjoan

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/20/06 01:54 PM

Well I have to admit I do use a walkthrough. Marita writes the most wonderful and helpful w/ts and I still get stuck.

Couldn't game without one, otherwise I would still be on my first game wave
Posted By: Geo

Re: To Walkthrough, or Not to Walkthrough--That is the Question - 04/20/06 05:40 PM

I use a walkthrough when I am stuck.Doesnt make any sense to me not to be able to finish a game,After all they are supposed to be fun,and it wouldnt be any fun to have to quit a game because I am hopelessly stuck.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community