GB HOMEPAGE

Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log

Posted By: Becky

Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/26/07 12:16 AM

Here's Rand Miller, developer of the Myst saga, in the GameBoomers' Neighborhood (Bevin) on May 24th, 2007. He's answering questions from various GameBoomers' members. This meeting took place in Myst Online: Uru Live.

Included is a chat log from the event with emphasizes Rand's responses. (Rsjm is Ryan Miller, Rand's younger brother, also with Cyan.)
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/26/07 12:22 AM

Thanks, Becky. Maybe Soot and I will jump back into the land of Myst this weekend wave
Posted By: MaG

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/26/07 12:58 AM

That's great for all you. Sounds so exciting.

Now who's who in that picture aside for Rand facing the others?
Posted By: Renee

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/26/07 01:14 AM

I think that's Rob'ert in the blue shorts closest to the right (aka...Bald Bob), and UruKat with the purple belt and shoes in the middle. That's all I recognize from last night's Minkata party. lol

Posted By: KateVa

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/26/07 01:08 PM

Picture IDs: hmmm lets see if I can figure out who is who...
Big John, is that catmargie next?, UruKat, R'ob Ert on the far right blocking all of boron but his right shoulder smile. Doc Hemlock and Dudemom toward the back. Ut-oh, I am missing one. Who else is in the pic?
Borbaric came in as did Moietay, a very polite visitor to the hood. Let me see if I can gather some more names for you.

Kate (Katva holding the camera) wave
Posted By: MaG

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/26/07 01:19 PM

Thanks for the ID. Maybe we can label the picture later. Mail me and I will add it. wave

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/26/07 05:22 PM

Let's hear it for the phogographer! lol bravo

It's been a lot of fun getting to know the people in our Hood. Having Rand stop by is icing on the cake. thumbsup

If anyone else was there but hasn't been identified, shout out!
Posted By: Darleen03

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/27/07 03:35 AM

Thanks Becky !!!!

Kool cool
Posted By: sierramindy

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/27/07 04:16 AM

I went to the Myst Online: Uru Live link and found it quite interesting and am even thinking of trying it out. Of course, this might not be wise of me since I totally dislike Myst and that type of first person, mechanical puzzles game. However, the online game looks like it will have people in it and I think that you get to play with your own avatar character so that would sort of make it a third person game. What would be some good things to know before I take the plunge into trying the game?
I also enjoyed the chat room talk link with Rand Miller.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/27/07 11:38 AM

Sierramindy -- you have the option to play the game either in first person view or in third person view. I get the impression that most people play in third person view. I happen to prefer first person because I feel as though I can see details better that way, but I often switch back and forth depending on my mood.

The game can be played alone, but it is even more fun played with others (IMHO). Since there are other GameBoomers who have been playing for quite awhile, there is a supportive GameBoomers neighborhood already there for anyone who wants to join, and a lot of knowledge about the game that can be tapped if you need help.

The Ages (various worlds) are gorgeous and there is a lot to explore, especially if you haven't already played Myst Uru: Complete Chronicles. The game is also now adding new content in episodes which they plan to release once a month.

There are mechanical puzzles and symbol-interpretation puzzles, seek-and-find challenges and even a couple of multi-player puzzles. There are no inventory puzzles, though you do pick things up that function as rewards, giving you new clothing or enhancements to your Relto (your home in the sky).

There's an ongoing story with in-game characters, but since the story unfolds in real-time, and most people aren't there as the story unfolds, you read about the story through chat logs or descriptions from the people who were there at the time -- in that way, it's different than other games because you don't see story elements told in cutscenes. On the other hand, when you meet the game characters you can actually ask them questions and interact with them!

The game can be enthralling, but it is not the kind of game where some sort of action is happening all the time -- if you are looking for constant stimulation in a game, you won't always find that in Uru.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/27/07 12:49 PM

Am I right in thinking that I could switch back and forth from third to first person view at any time in the game? Or is it only at special times? I prefer third person so I would be happy with that, but it might be interesting to try first person part of the time maybe.
How does one make the third person avatar?
I favor enthralling, but stimulation I can do without, unless it is fairly easy.
I like the idea of playing with others if I am able to do it, but that might be hard for me.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/27/07 02:30 PM

Sierramindy -- yes, you can switch back and forth between first and third person whenever you want.

When you begin the game, you design an avatar, and you can change the avatar's clothing, hair, etc. anytime you want to during the game by going into the Wardrobe in your Relto (personal island).

Playing with others can take a little getting used to. (I was shy the first couple of times in Uru. That didn't last long, though.)

The reason I mentioned stimulation was that, from what I understand, other online multiplayer games feature almost constant things to do -- combat, upgrading your skills, trading craft items, etc. Uru is not at all like that. Much more time is spent exploring, puzzle-solving, and socializing (if you choose to socialize).
Posted By: Dudemom_2000

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/27/07 04:33 PM

I really love the social aspects of this game. If you have trouble with a puzzle or just want company, ask for help and usually you end up with a nice crowd to help you along. Also we have many social events...Every other Friday Donahoo hosts the D'ni Cocktail Party in the D'ni Party Bevin (neighborhood) with great music and we dance the night away (yes, your avatar has a dance emote!) On Wednesday nights, though it is hiatus right now, is Spoken Word Night. That one meets in Uru Obession Bevin. It can get a little silly but is great fun. Right now they are meeting unofficially on Wednesday while the hosts prepare for Spoken Word Night #50. Once a month now, there will be episodes furthering the storyline in the game. Of course you can choose to participate or not as you wish, I will say most of us were just riveted last week to what was going on.....

I think there is a little something for everyone here and it pretty much is what you make of it....Sierramindy, if you do join in please stop by GameBoomer's Bevin and we will be more than glad to make you a member. My KI # is 820902.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/27/07 04:57 PM

Can I use a different user name? I'm thinking of something a little shorter than sierramindy.
Posted By: boshettee

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/27/07 05:03 PM

At anytime during the game you can F1 to alternate between 1st and 3rd person.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/27/07 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: sierramindy
Can I use a different user name? I'm thinking of something a little shorter than sierramindy.

Of course! The hardest thing for me at the beginning was to pick out what I was going to wearlol...I would just try it out first (use the free trial period) - you'll have time to get used to it and know if you like it or not. And, as boshettee said above, you can hit the "f1" key anytime and it switches between first and third person. Also, there are classes every night in the "Beginner's Bevin" (a public neighborhood) where a DRC member will help you get started - and answer any questions.

Hope to see you in our Gameboomer's Bevin!

my uru live avatar name = naywave

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/27/07 08:28 PM

I'm almost there but first I need to catch up on some sleep. I was so keyed up last night thinking about this that I hardly slept a wink. This morning when I finished my early breakfast I got disoriented and thought I was finishing my evening snack since they are usually the same, weak coffee and chocolate, peanutbutter chip cookies, the little elf kind, not the computer type. I'm also playing Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso, Steve Ince's game and having a blast there. Although I had to take a nap break after almost falling asleep at the keyboard. This is not the game's fault, I hasten to add, as it has plenty of fun stuff going on.
One more (hopefully the last) question. What does DRC mean?
Oops, one more, does one need to join Game Tap?

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/27/07 11:03 PM

Yes, the only place to play MOUL (Myst Online Uru Live) is via GameTap.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/27/07 11:46 PM

the DRC is the D'ni Restoration Council.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/28/07 12:14 AM

Thanks for all your help, Boomers, you are restoring my interest in a Myst that I thought would never happen. But I do recall that the original Myst (which I played for one day before I exchanged it for GK: The Beast Within) had truly great graphics. To this day I can remember some of the paths that I wandered down. And up. And those levers that one could pull but nothing seemed to happen.
Posted By: UruKat

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/28/07 12:30 PM

Hey Neighbors!

I was looking at my Chat Log for Rand's visit to the Hood to help figure out who is in the picture and these are all the ones that asked questions while he was there:

Katva
UruKat
Boron
Dudemom
R'ob'Ert
borbaric
Yali
Sith
Moietay
Jinglish
catmargie
doc hemlock
Orion
daht'ay

There may have been a few others that did not say anything, but I believe most people at least said hello.

I know for sure that I am the one all in black with a fushia belt and shoes!

ALSO......want to welcome "looney4labs" and her hubby "soot" as the newest members of Gameboomers Hood!

They dropped in yesterday while LarryK and I were hanging out in the Hood and asked if they could join!

Anyone else interested, just drop in or message me while online. We really have a nice neighborhood and we will be more than happy to show you around and answer any questions. smile

My KI# is 04274357

WELCOME!!

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/28/07 03:05 PM

Thanks to Kat and LarryK, we did indeed make it into the GB Bevin, but only after passing a test rotfl
Posted By: Larry K

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/28/07 05:23 PM

Just for the record, being a "new-B", the test wasn't my idea. wink

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/28/07 07:12 PM

I heard about this "test." Sounds like good exercise. Jump jump jump Yay GB!

Welcome to GameBoomers, LarryK! welcome

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/28/07 08:24 PM

LOL!
It seemed too easy to just say "sure...you can join!", so I made that part up about the test! I thought it was hilarious!

(For the record: I told them they had to jump up and down 3 times and scream "YAy Boomers!".....ROFL)

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/28/07 08:30 PM

Hey, it was all in good fun! And jumping and screaming is 2nd nature to me

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/28/07 11:35 PM

Hi UruKat,
I looked at the photo and I think you are the fourth one from the left, right?
I'm still thinking of going online with MOUL but haven't quite got up my nerve yet since I feel like I will be plunging into something totally new and unknown. But I can feel the power of the need to satisfy my curiosity now that it has turned in that direction. For months I've been totally ignoring any topic dealing with MOUL (I figured out what that meant ages ago.) very successfully and now suddenly I find myself in a whole different frame of mind. It was easier the old way, but more excitig this way! But I need time ...

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/29/07 12:02 AM

seirramindy,

You would absolutely be hooked from your first visit! You can sign up for a free (or sometimes 99 cents) trial sub of Gametap for a month. If you don't like it, you can cancel.

I will be more than happy to show you around and, as part of Gameboomer's Hood, you will almost always know someone online.

If you decide to sign up, you can PM me and I will meet you and show you around. I know Dudemom, Becky, Katva or LarryK, just to name a few, will be glad to help too!

Don't fight it....join us! :o)

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 05/29/07 12:22 AM

Sierra, it's a fun place to be. It might seem a bit overwhelming at first, but with Myst veterans like those in Kat's post, you'll be in the swing in no time. wave
Posted By: Celtic Lark

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/30/07 02:50 AM

Help! After reading this thread, I feel myself being sucked into Myst... It sounds like a blast. I checked out the website and am itching to start. So, my new best friends, what do I do? Do I need to buy any software? How do I find the GB Bevin once I'm in there? I'll probably use Celtic Lark if the name is available (it usually is) so if you see me wandering around aimlessly, come hold my hand, please!! lol

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/30/07 09:12 AM

EDIT:

For anyone who's interested, there's an interview with Rand Miller at Just Adventure that's a good read.

lol Celtic Lark, Myst Online: Uru Live is available through GameTap. You can join GameTap for 99 cents for the first month to see if you like it. The game is played online through GameTap only (you don't need to buy software, but you do need a broadband connection).

To find the GB bevin, you first need to get your Ki. To do this, go through the neighborhood you've been randomly assigned (click on the book on the bookshelf in your Relto and then go through the neighborhood to the linking room where you see books on podiums -- use the book on the far left).

Once you have your Ki, you can post your Ki number (bottom left of the open Ki screen) here and we'll put you on our buddy lists and keep an eye out for you.

You can also go back into your current neighborhood to the linking room and use the Nexus linking book (podium in the center). Once in the Nexus, you can search the bevin/neighborhood list to see if GameBoomers is listed (whether it will be listed depends on whether GB members have been through there recently). If it's listed, you can link directly there.

Or you can use the Nexus to link into the City (go to the ferry) and open up your Ki to look at the names of other avatars on the left -- some of these names just might sound familiar. If you recognize a name, click on it and type in a message, hit "enter," and that person will then respond to you.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/30/07 02:00 PM

Thanks Becky. That will be useful info once I can get the game to download properly. I've tried twice and received a "Game Acquisition Failed" message. I have all the system requirements and I'm not running anything in the background (except standard security stuff). I'm going to see if I can figure it out via tech support but if anyone else has any ideas, please share.

Edit: I figured it out. A restart fixed the problem. I'm going to start the game when I get home from work tonight. Hope to see some of you then!

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/30/07 02:02 PM

Yay!!! wave to all new explorers. Welcome, welcome!! We are listed on the Hood listing Game Boomers' Hood
but...we need to collect permission from all members to post the names and ki numbers so that this is a valid link to post. We also have many from the forum who are in other hoods. Any ideas about how to get a listing somewhere easily???

Kate (Katva Ki# 969932)

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/30/07 06:51 PM

Welcome Celtic Lark!
I'll be hanging around this evening after about 8:00 EST, so I will watch for you.

KateVa....you have my permission to post my avatar name and KI # if you want.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/30/07 06:53 PM

You've my permission too, Kateva.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/30/07 08:34 PM

Unfortunately, UruKat, I will still be at work at 8:00 EST. I don't get home until 6:30ish PST. Then dinner and all that so by the time I make it online it will probably be 8:00 PST. Shoot. Well, maybe I'll see you on the weekend?

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/31/07 01:02 AM

Hope to see you there, too, Celtic Lark wave

Becky, where can I find the thread with the treasure hunt?

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/31/07 06:11 AM

Oh wow, I just spent five hours online playing Myst. This is quickly going to become a time-sucker, isn't it? I finished the cleft and met someone who showed me around some of the other worlds. Overwhelming but so fascinating. I can't imagine how much work went into creating this world.

I wanted to find the Game Boomers neighborhood but had no idea how. I did add UruKat to my buddy list. My KI is 6944894. If I can arrange to meet up with one of you to show me where the GB neighborhood is, I'd be very grateful!

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/31/07 12:22 PM

Hi Celtic Lark -- I'll be keeping an eye out for you!

Renee -- the Treasure Hunt thread is here. Kateva's Treasure Hunt is on page 2, her answers in spoiler tags on page 3. My Treasure Hunt and answers in spoiler tags are on page 4. (These page numbers listings assume that you haven't customized how many posts you can see per page.)

Have fun!

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/31/07 12:30 PM

Celtic Lark, I'm sure hubby and I will be online tonight after dinner (we are central time). Look for Looney4Labs or Soot1 (06836764 or 06840271) It is quite an amazing place. There are also tours every evening if you pop into A Beginner's Bevin. wave

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/31/07 12:53 PM

Hey Celtic Lark!

Sorry we couldn't meet up last night....that's a little late on week nights for me....but I am sure we can get together on weekends.

Sounds like you had lots of fun! Five hours!! You go girl!! thumbsup

To find Gameboomer's Bevin, go to any Nexus (hopefully you were there last night) and click on "Public Places". That's where the public Hoods are listed. Then scroll down the list and look for ours. It is not always listed because someone has to have been there recently or it falls off the list.

Another way to get in is to put a member's KI # on your "Buddie's" list and then whenever one of us in online, it will show up on the left side of youe screen and then you can click on it and talk to us. Then we can take you there and sign you up!

We all have our KI #'s posted on our replies, so add all of them to your "Buddies", so you will have more chance of finding one of us.

So glad you made the plunge.....you will get so addicted!

We'll be looking for you this weekend. In the meantime, hopefully you can meet up with Looney4Labs and her hubby Soot and they can take you to our neighborhood.

Enjoyyyyyyy......... wave

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/31/07 07:45 PM

Believe it or not, I finally got myself together and bit the bullet and went to GameTap and MOUL. So I'm wandering around and as usual, I'm completely lost but ... yesterday I actually found my KI# with the help of kimmie. I managed to follow her to the right place, but it wasn't easy, I'm still trying hard to get my avatar to go where I want it to go, using both mouse and arrow keys. So far I've accidentally knocked down a cone in my way and some stand I wanted to click on but instead it fell over with a terrible CLANG and also moved a pretty colored beach? ball which just rolled out of sight. I feel like I'm damaging the ecology of the place, like turning it into a shambles. Does anyone even want to know someone as poor a player as I am probably going to be? Well, I've only been for 3 visits so it is still way too early for me to know what I'm doing. I have picked up 2 books for my shelf though even if I'm not too sure how they work yet.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/31/07 08:40 PM

lol Sierramindy, knocking cones down and kicking the beach ball around is part of getting used to the place. And yes, there's so much depth there that it does take awhile to figure things out.

Are you playing in third person perspective? grin

Clicking on the books on the shelf, then clicking on them again when they open up links you to another Age or world to explore.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 05/31/07 10:58 PM

Yay SierraMindy! Now that you've found your Ki #, please post it here so we can all say Hi and help you with as much (or as little) help as you want. wave
Celtic Lark, I have added you to my buddies and hope to see you soon.
Becky-thanks for the interview link. Fascinating to hear Rand as always, and I hope we can continue to build his player base! GB is obviously a good resource thanks to people like you!
Kate (aka: Katva Ki #969932)

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/01/07 12:41 AM

sierramindy, I never could get use to 3rd person. I stay pretty much exclusively in 1st person. About the only time I switch is when I decided to changed my cloths ( you can get pretty dirty you know) and I want to see if the colors clash enough! lol

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/01/07 03:05 AM

Thanks for the link to the treasure hunt, Becky! wave

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/01/07 03:48 AM

Hey fellow gamers!

I ran into Big John this evening and he told me that there are a few Eder Delin books in some of the hoods, The Guild of Greeters Bevin is one that has it.
So this is good news for all those that need to go through the door there.
Also good news for those who haven't got the two relto pages in there.
It should be a great time to get help for the doors.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/01/07 04:59 AM

Thanks all for your tips and KIs. I will add them to my buddy list tonight. Since I'm in PST and many of you seem to be in Central Time or EST, I will probably be seeing you mostly on weekends. Although I might have a chance of meeting up with European GBers on weeknights if anyone plays in the morning while I'm on at night.

UruKat - Thanks so much for the directions to the GB Neighborhood. I just got home and am about to plunge back into the world of Myst. I will see if I can at least find the neighborhood.

Have I mentioned yet that you are all awesome and I'm so happy to have found you all? hearts

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/01/07 05:24 AM

I play in third person (I like my avatar, but I keep forgetting it is me and sometimes I wait for her to give me a clue!) At present I'm trying to wander around enough to memorize a few landmarks. Also trying to learn what some of the icons do. There is a complicated one that shows up at the right hand top of the screen now and then and I click on it but so far the only thing I have really figured out about it is the toggle switch that turns the sound on and off. The rest I'm still trying to figure out. I read about the help at the Beginner's Bevin but haven't found my way there yet. Someone mentioned they give a tour, but I'm aftraid that would confuse me more than ever. Everything would blend together and I would never find my way. I have to learn paths and places a little bit at a time. An area finally sinks in after finding it and exploring it several times and then I can move on a little farther. I have this problem with adventure games all the time and the walkthroughs are absolutely no help. So, for now, I would like to just take my time to get used to the feel of the surroundings. Yesterday I followed Kimmie to get my KI# and I have absolutely no idea where I went. It took all my concentration just to keep up with her and it wasn't like she was rushing or anything. I know we turned this way and went thataway but haven't a clue as to the actual path. I've been exploring the desert area and today I found a cleft and a windmill and I know I will be able to find them again later. Tomorrow I'll check out the cavern, I think.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/01/07 06:18 AM

Hi Sierramindy -

I'm the same way. I have to figure a lot of things out for myself. Last night, I met a nice guy who showed me how to do a lot of things and I've forgotten half of them. I can't remember how to look up, of all things!

I'm currently wandering around a world (age?) called something like Eder Gira. Looks like Sedona, AZ. I keep finding myself on the same paths and can't figure out how to get to another part of the world. I can see where I want to go, I just have to figure out how to get there. I'm hoping to run into some Game Boomers online this weekend who can show me the ropes a bit more. So I guess we'll both wander around as best we can and play this game at our own pace. I think that's the beauty of it, though. We can do it on our own or join with others. Love it!

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/01/07 01:04 PM

Just thought I would also mention that there is an "official" website for Uru, that has tons of info for newbies and veterans.
It's Gametap's official site. You will be seeing these initals a lot....MOUL...which stands for "Myst Online: Uru Live". Which is also the name of the website.

I get most of my information in the "forums" on that site. They also have complete walkthroughs and hints and tips. I find that it is the type of game that you almost have to read the forums to find out what is going on as you explore. Especially if you are new to it all.
This is a link to the MOUL site that has lots of info put together for newbies...

MOUL Website Link

Don't get overwhelmed though. The best way to start is probably to just do the Cleft and the first 4 ages first (Gahreesen, Teledahn, Kadish Tolesa, Eder Gira & Kemo).
By then you will have a much better feel for the game and then you can venture out more and start exploring the new areas and socializing with fellow gamers.
If you need help while doing these ages, you can invite someone else to go with you and help you figure out what to do.

CelticLark.....
If you need help with Eder Gira and you see one of us online, be sure to ask for help. I would be more than glad to walk you through it or guide you. I have finished everything available now, so I would love something to do while I am hanging around. smile

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/02/07 01:16 AM

I did do some poking around on the forums at the official URU website. It's all so huge - it's a bit intimidating. I will check out the link for newbies.

I would love help with Eder Gira so if I see you online, UruKat, I will definitely ask for your assistance.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/02/07 03:35 AM

Hi UruKat,
Thanks for the MOUL website link! I found a lot of help there and made a ton of notes. I also saw a walkthrough for the Cleft (which I found and explored a bit yesterday but couldn't find the handle) so now I know where to look. I was close as I recall going over that 3 plank bridge but didn't see any handle or any kitchen. Anyway, I do feel I'm slowly making some progress and since I signed up for a whole year I guess I can take my time.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/02/07 06:27 AM

Almost done with Eder Gira. Just one more cloth to get and I know where it is. Just takes some planning to get it and I need sleep.

Thanks r_fike/Boomer for making me a member of the GB Bevin. I'm so tickled - now I feel like I belong. grin I know, I'm easily excited. It's all so new and fun. I'll calm down in a few weeks, I promise.

Nite! tired
Posted By: r_fike

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/02/07 06:30 AM

Glad to be of assistance Celtic Lark.

My granddaughter will be staying with us next week so I won't have any time to get on MOUL. Hope to see you in a couple weeks.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/02/07 06:33 AM

Have a great time with your granddaughter. I'll be sure to say hello when I see you next in MOUL. Thanks again! smile
Posted By: janinemary

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/02/07 09:09 AM

Hi Celtic Lark , I sometimes play in the mornings. I will look out for you, and say hello. wave

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Chat Log - 06/02/07 12:12 PM

When you are in the neighborhood, don't forget there is a Ki Manual on the desk in the classroom.

There are several good guides to the Ki online. The Guild of Greeters (another good neighborhood to visit when you figure out the nexus lol) has one at

How to Use the Ki

Another is the DRC guide (thanks to the D'ni Jazz Club) at

DRC Ki Guide

If you read these all at once and try to absorb the info you will get a headache. But you can consult from time to time..

Looking forward to seeing you all in the cavern!
Kate (Katva Ki#969932)

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/02/07 01:44 PM

Just found a VERY interesting peek at what the episode for June will be!!
It's found on the Gametap website:

Gametap Link

Sounds awesome!
Click to reveal..
The next episode, “A New Light, begins in June in it, Power is shifting and new leaders begin to emerge while those from the past begin to fade. Amidst all the chaos, the Age of Er’Cana is released and Explorers are asked to help feed the darkening lake. Meanwhile, new information is revealed and more begin to fear the coming war. Er’Cana features a vast landscape with hours of unique gameplay that can be played single player or with friends.

Also...Sierramindy.....what is your KI# and avatar name???

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/02/07 05:02 PM

Wow! and, a footnote for anyone who wants to try the game, it is free on GameTap over this weekend. Hurry up though..free until June 4.

Free games at Game Tap this week

Kate

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/02/07 07:29 PM

Hi UruKat,
I clicked on the Gametap link and read about the new episode and then I clicked on "Instructions" and there I found a TIP for Relto Customization. There are Relto pages that allow this but they are hard to come by. There was a thumbnail picture of a Relto page. Well, I've come across several of these pages and have clicked on them but nothing happens that I can see. Do I need to do something else first?

Okay, you asked so here it is: Avatar name is mindyjo and my KI# is 06933099 and I already have it memorized. Like my social security number!

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/02/07 07:33 PM

Sierramindy -- if you've memorized your Ki number already, that's a lot more than I've done! Uru itself should be a snap. lol

The Relto pages (as I recall) -- you have to click on them to see them fully, and then click on them a second time to get them into your Relto book. You could look at your Relto book and see if any of them have made it actually into the book (at the bottom of the page, you'll see a corner turned down, signifying that you can turn the page to see what else is in there). Once there, you can click on them to disable them or to enable them again.

Hmmm. What does everybody think of the new GameTap homepage. Is it just me, or is it a bit overwhelming? lol

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/02/07 08:30 PM

A List of Ki Numbers!

I'm putting together a list of Ki numbers to make contacting other explorers easier for anyone who is new. Find out more info here.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/02/07 10:07 PM

Just sent an email off to you, Becky. smile

janinemary - I will keep an eye out for you as well. I can see you are new to GameBoomers. Welcome! I just joined a few week or so ago and everyone here is exceptionally friendly. welcome

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/03/07 12:29 AM

Hi Becky,
Don't I wish! Memorizing the KI# happened to be easy because the numbers made a simple pattern, rather than completely random. What is hard for me is remembering that KI is pronounced key, not KY rhymes with MY. Should be KIE, I would think. Oh well, I'm being picky, picky, I know but I'm worn out from trying to solve CLEFT puzzles. I read a hint yesterday and thought I knew what to do. I didn't. Had to read it again today. I had to learn a bit more before I actually was able to fully understand the hint, actually it was a walkthrough but I only read the part I thought I needed to know. Today I read another walkthrough almost to the end (big discouraging mistake) and I'm not sure I will ever be able to do all that it said. Anyway, a question, do the 7 cloths have to be done in the same order as mentioned in the walkthrough? I hope not.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/03/07 12:58 AM

Hi sierramindy -- cloths can be touched in any order. Hmmm. Maybe I should look and see if my Ki number has a pattern (haven't thought to look for one!). lol

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/03/07 02:18 AM

The pattern just was there for me, I didn't actually look for it. Some numbers just fall into place for memorizing better than others and my KI# is very nice that way. Really!
Thanks for answering my question as I was worried since I already have some, I think. I've got a new worry now! Today for the first time I did more than explore and worked out one of the puzzles.

Click to reveal..
I got the windmill to turn.

Now I'm worried that I didn't SAVE it and will have to do it all over again tomorrow unless there is an AUTOMATIC SAVE somewhere and how do I find it? I'm getting the feeling this game may just be way over my head, but as long as something new keeps coming along to satisfy my curiosity I'll stay with it. Like I've just returned from a party in one of the public bevins. I'm not really a party animal so I just looked in. Some avatars were dancing, others just standing around, and one was sitting alone not paying any attention to anything.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/03/07 02:33 AM

Sierramindy --

Click to reveal..
You are supposed to get the windmill working! It sounds as though you are progressing nicely.

The game does autosave, so that any progress you made (like touching the journey cloths) will be there the next time you enter the game.

You'll notice that the hand lights up when you touch the cloths -- these can give you an idea of how many more cloths you have left to touch in that Age. If everything lights up except for three fingers, for instance, that means that you have 3 cloths left to discover and touch.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/03/07 04:04 AM

Since the game always starts at the Relto I suddenly wasn't sure if the progress would be there or not since this is actually the first time that I did anything in the game that I knew was part of moving the story along. Before that I had just been walking around touching things with nothing much happening except for finding the KI# and the Nexus and 2 books for my shelves. Oh, and knocking things over.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/03/07 05:43 AM

I was worried about the autosave too, sierramindy. I'm actually finding it a bit irritating that I can't just save wherever I am and then come back to it. Even though it's saving my progress, if an area was particularly difficult to reach, I don't want to leave it until I've done everything I have to do there. While I know what I've done will be saved, I'll have to get to that area again.

Thanks to all the GBers I met tonight who were so helpful. Kat, you are awesome (and magical!). L4L and Soot, it was fun to see you there. And mikeplay3, thanks for checking up on me through the evening to make sure I was doing okay. praise

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/05/07 07:26 PM

Hi UruKat,
About those Relto pages, I actually do have them, I was just looking in the wrong book for them! Silly me.

Hi Becky,
I now have 6 of the Journey Cloths so I'm making progress. I've also emailed my KI# and avatar name to you, hope I did it right. I'm used to replying to email, not starting new messages.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/06/07 01:19 AM

Hi sierramindy -- I just emailed you so you can respond with your Ki number and avatar name (I haven't received a message from you yet). thumbsup

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/07/07 12:50 AM

Well, I tried, just didn't get it right. MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo sent me an email saying it couldn't be found and a whole page of stuff and numbers and gobble-de-gook to show how hard they looked for it. So lucky thing that you emailed me. I'm pretty sure my reply made it okay to you.

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/07/07 01:18 AM

Yes, it came through earlier today. Thanks sierramindy!

Becky

BTW -- for anyone who's interested -- I found this in an article in PC Gamer called "Helpful Tips for Addiction-Prone Gamers" -- it's directed at people who play online games way into the night and ignore their loved ones and go to work groggy-eyed, etc.

Suggestion #8

Quote:
Pick a game that lacks an addictive quality.

Myst Online: Uru Live has an active community, but no leveling and no character death, so players do not receive an adrenaline rush while killing or avoiding being killed. Uru Live is also about solving puzzles and mysteries, so the instant gratification element, while still present, is typically less than in combat-oriented MMOs.

Is this a compliment, do you think? grin

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/07/07 07:33 PM

Definitely a compliment to my mind and a great selling point for playing MOUL too. My adrenaline gives me enough of a rush so I don't need the kick of combat added to it yet. Gimme a break!

Re: Rand Miller of Cyan in the GameBoomers' Bevin -- Shortened Chat Log - 06/08/07 01:56 AM

Lacks an addictive quality??? Then I must be very easily addicted because I've been on until midnight almost every night this week. lol
© 2024 GameBoomers Community