GB HOMEPAGE

Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth

Posted By: nu2gaming

Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/05/06 11:59 PM

I've just installed this game and it looks pretty spooky. It also looks very complicated. Do you think a novice game player can handle it? scared nu2gaming
Posted By: hagatha

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/06/06 05:22 AM

The game play itself is simple, but it IS based on H.P. Lovecraft, so it is in the horror genre. There are some genuinely creepy moments in the game, to be honest, and it's not for the faint of heart for that reason.

There are some action sequences that people found difficult. If you haven't played many action games you might want to get a couple under your belt before trying this one. It's worth playing, though.
Posted By: JohnBoy

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/06/06 02:49 PM

I am a somewhat ( lol ) experienced action/adventure gamer. I am still playing it now. And I think its probably the hardest game I ever played. I am doing a lot better since I have weapons. I am no good at all at stealth and there has been lots of difficult situations in the game that depend on it to get you through to the next save point. Id definitely recommend something a lot easier for your first try at an A/A game.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/06/06 08:32 PM

Hi guys/gals; Well I'm going to give this a try. I've gone thru the morgue, activated some kind of machine that tortures a guy, taken the green crystal. What is that big machine in the middle of the room? If it is the time gate how do I put the crystal in it? help nu2gaming
Posted By: Pokey

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/06/06 09:06 PM

If you are in the room that you can circle around a large area on the floor (not the morgue--further on), there shoud be a place to the right as you enter the room. It looks like a triangular holder.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/06/06 10:32 PM

Pokey; I think that's where I am. There is something in the middle of the floor that Jack thinks is some kind of power supply? I have picked up the green crystal (it's in inventory) I just don't know how to get it out of inventory and insert it in machine. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/06/06 10:46 PM

Open your inventory with the "I" key. Click on the item you want to use. If you are standing in the right location to use the item it will take it.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/06/06 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nu2gaming:
Hi guys/gals; Well I'm going to give this a try.
I detect the sprit of a true Dark Sider! We'll be around if you need help.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/06/06 11:58 PM

Thanks for the support. What am I getting myself into? I'm wandering around Innsmouth and keep getting caught by cop in alley of First National. I'm sure I'll get by him sooner or later. scared

EDIT: I've made it into the store twice. I've gotten the liquor and wooden handle but I can't find the trap door near the register. help That **** cop keeps getting me. Where is the trap door? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 02:16 AM

Check the floor behind the bar or counter.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 03:19 AM

Thanks JohnBoy; I did, but I don't see any trap door. I'll go check again.

EDIT: I found the trap door. Not by the register but behind the side counter. I need the wooden handle to open it. I have the handle in inventory but when I click on it nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? rotfl nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 04:25 AM

I had trouble with that trapdoor too. Finally got it to open and then I fell down the opening. Make sure you are crouched and try from a slightly different direction maybe. It is finicky.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 04:32 AM

Quote:
EDIT: I found the trap door. Not by the register but behind the side counter. I need the wooden handle to open it. I have the handle in inventory but when I click on it nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? nu2gaming
Maybe you're not in the right spot - all I had to do was click on the handle after I opened the inventory.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 04:42 AM

Thanks a million. I did finally manage to get it open and did indeed fall down the opening (just ahead of the cop). I've now left the Waite house and talked to Rebecca. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead and try to get some sleep. sleep goodnight all. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 04:37 PM

Good morning everyone; I'm having a terrible time with those guys in the hotel. I can barely make it to the third room before they get me. Why is my character moving so slowly? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 05:03 PM

Youre at the part that almost had me quit the game. I asked myself the same question as to why he moves so slowly. I guess its caused by the damage hes taken. I had to use god mode to practice this section. And when I learned what to do and where to go, I did it on my own. And it still wasnt easy.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 05:25 PM

Hi JohnBoy; God mode? Are there cheats for this game? If so where do I find them? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nu2gaming:
Hi JohnBoy; God mode? Are there cheats for this game? If so where do I find them? nu2gaming
http://callofcthulhu.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2992

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 08:36 PM

un-oh. I don't know what happened. One minute I'm trying to escape my hotel room and the next minute I'm in an alley at a save/star spot with some guy (a couple of stories up) talking to me about sewers? I must have missed something. Should I go back to a prior save or move on? The w/t talks about ammo and medical boxes I should have gotten "a lot of items here you can save for later". How did I suddenly wind up in this alley? duh nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 09:03 PM

Not certain, unless god mode does that. Looks like you skipped a whole lot of game, though.

But there is a trick to getting out of the hotel room. It is this:

The trick is not to get panicky. Keep moving forward, and never look back -- never -- except to bolt a door. It helps to turn the sound off here because it is making YOU panicky as well as Jack. You must try to go through the sequence a few times so you know where everything is in the sequence of hotel rooms. You do have time to do the sequence, but you have to always go directly to the next thing you have to do - no stopping, no turning around except to bolt doors, and no panicking!

Save your game immediately before going upstairs with the creep behind the hotel reception desk.

When you get to your room, go into the room next door and bolt the door that leads from that room into the hallway. In the same room -- see that Bookshelf/chest beside the door? That's what you must push aside to get into the next room. You can't do anything with it yet.

Go back into your room, and bolt your door. Go to bed.

Just before the movie of the fishmen breaksing into your room stops, you should be pushing on the walk key so that Jack gets out of his bed AS SOON as you have control of him, even if he is dizzy. You can skip the movie by using the backspace key if you get tired of watching it.

When you get out of bed, walk through the door into the next room, turn around and bolt it. Walk straight to the bookshelf and push it away from the wall to reveal the door. Open it, go through, and bolt it, and so on. Your aim is always to block every door so that the fishmen have to break it down, giving you a few more seconds.

Just remember to always bolt every door you can, and if you can't there will be something you can push in front of it. In the room with the window, push the bookshelf away from the window, open it, and jump through. You have to jump over the alley to the next place, which is a door to the left. Always look up when you jump, so you don't fall.

The fishmen keep following you until you get to the next save spot, so always keep moving ahead.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 09:15 PM

Thanks hagatha; I think I should go back to the hotel room because right now I'm in an alley? By a truck with some hanging meat, two guys at the bottom of the hill and nowhere to go. I must have skipped a lot of stuff. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 09:20 PM

Did you activate god mode? I had nothing like that happen to me.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 09:49 PM

Yeah JohnBoy I guess I did. I downloaded some patches. Right now I'm on a loading dock with some hanging pig carcasses. A truck is backed up to the loading dock. There are two guys at the bottom of the hill and I don't know where to go. The w/t says something about waiting behind some boxes next to a stationery enemy. I'm lost. The only boxes I see are next the the loading dock beside the truck. What do I do now? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 10:07 PM

Did you get a window with things to check. If so did you check god mode? Let me know exactly where you are at. Check the save youre at and tell me the location. Also have you taken a truck ride to the docks? If you did I dont understand how you got there before other things that take place.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/07/06 11:29 PM

JohnBoy; The save says "collapsed building". There is a dead guy laying on one of those eye/star marks on the floor. Some guy had been talking to me about a sewer (he's gone now) there are some sacks of something in the room, one open door and one door that will not open. If I go thru the open door I wind up in an alley down the hill from a meat packing place, I guess, there is a truck backed up to the loading dock and down the hill there are two men (one with a flashlight who keeps walking in and out of the picture and one who just stands there). If I move they see me and start shooting. Is there some other place I'm supposed to go? No, I have not taken a truck ride. I tried the truck door but it said I can't open it. This is making me long for the giant troll in Dreamfall. cry nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 12:05 AM

You need to get the truck rolling and then jump in. Take a good look around the truck. I tried to get it going for quite a while before I noticed the problem. Of course you will miss the warehouse part of the game.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 12:15 AM

I could not jump into the truck. It would not let me. So I just ran behind it.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 12:18 AM

Pokey; Where is this warehouse I was supposed to go to? I jumped out the window of the hotel and wound up in the collapsed building. Does installing the god-mode screw the game up? (Oh, by the way, I just found the wedge under the truck tire. I'm now trying to jump in the back before it takes off down the hill) nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 02:16 AM

The warehouse comes right after the escape from the hotel. You end up on the roof and go into the warehouse and then down the alley to where you ended up. Things can happen when you use cheats. Was it godmode or maybe it skipped a level? You have time to remove the wedge and then run up on the platform and jump in the truck.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 02:39 AM

God mode does not screw the game up. Did you even activate it? Did you check the god mode box? If you did not you dont even have the god mode activated. The patch does not default to god mode. You have to activate it by checking the box.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 02:50 AM

Pokey and JohnBoy: Yes I checked god mode. I think I have figured out what I'm doing wrong. I think when I try to jump from the hotel to the other bldg. I don't make it and wind up at street level. (I have never landed on the other building). Does that sound reasonable? I'm just going to go back to the hotel save and try to start from there. It seems I have really confused you guys. I'm sorry. oops nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 02:56 AM

Yes, if you don't make the jump you will fall into the alley.

In order to make the jump you must look slighty up, or Jack will fall. All jumps need to be done this way. Jack is also afraid of heights, so looking down over any kind of drop is usually not a good option unless you have no choice.

Don't be sorry. This is a really hard segment for so early in the game. It took all of us completely by surprise! scared

But you actually made it through the hardest part of the sequence. The rest is a little less intimidating, although those fishmen keep coming after you.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 03:31 AM

Thanks for all your encouragement. Yes, that is indeed what is happening. I miss the jump and end up in the alley. This apparently takes some skill I haven't yet developed. Oh well. Practice, practice, practice. wave

EDIT: AAARG!!! I've had it. I'm never going to make that jump. I'm so tired of those fishmen. Goodnight. sleep nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 05:29 AM

Jump and look up as you get to the edge. You'll make it eventually.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 04:52 PM

EDIT: AAARG!!! I've had it. I'm never going to make that jump. I'm so tired of those fishmen. Goodnight. sleep nu2gaming.

I know the feeling very well. frown

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 07:34 PM

Hi; Has this happened to anyone else? Twice (in the hotel) before the escape attempt, the screen says "saving game", but when I get killed or miss the jump and wind up in the alley I have to start back at my last save (before following Gilman upstairs to my room). nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 07:59 PM

You should be starting in bed, waking up to the goons breaking down your door. Are you clicking on "continue"? Backspace will bypass a lot of the videos.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 09:37 PM

WOW!!! I finally made it into the warehouse and to the star/save point. Now all I have to do is get past these guys and find that open window. lol nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 09:45 PM

Congrats. It should be easier now--mostly sneaking. I found that if I observed their movement, I could run crouched from the office right through the warehouse. Keep your distance and watch them.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 10:18 PM

Pokey; Now you have me worried again. What office? I'm at the save/star and can't seem to get out of that corner. I sure haven't seen an office. I'm on the verge of just trying to barge my way past them to get out of this corner. No matter how long I wait crouched, in stealth, they are always there the minute I move. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 10:54 PM

There is a short piece before the office. Try moving from one group of boxes to the next. I got spotted about halfway and made a run for the window. After you try it a few times, you can do it without getting hurt too bad. I usually used crouched without stealth.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/08/06 11:19 PM

ok. I'm totally stumped again. I'm on the floor of the warehouse. Should I be up on the catwalk? I can see a door up there but I don't find any way to get to it. I'm not seeing a guy with a flashlight, just two guys who keep repeating "Don't let him get away! Shoot him!" Ive tried jumping up on some boxes below a window but nothing is happening. Don't you just press the "space bar" to jump? I spent two days getting from the hotel room to this warehouse. I looks like it may take me that long to get out. help nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 12:40 AM

Yes, you need to be on the catwalk. Climb up some boxes and then follow the catwalk to a window at the side of the warehouse. Jump is the spacebar.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 01:45 AM

Pokey you're a doll! ok. I've gotten as far as the sewer. (didn't accomplish anything in the warehouse except finally getting out). I'm in the sewer. I've done the switches on the pipes, turned the crank, did the switches on the pipes again and turned the crank again. I'm not finding the floodgate. Is it in the room with the crank or back in the sewer? Where? duh nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 02:31 AM

The floodgate it in the vat. The crank for the floodgate is right beside the vat. Once you've flushed the vat with water, you turn the floodgate crank one more time to empty it, dash up that ladder, down into the vat, and skedaddle through before it closes again.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 02:46 AM

Thank you hagatha. I've climbed up that ladder a couple of times but didn't manage to go any further.
nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 03:00 AM

How many seconds do you have to get to that flood gate? As soon as I climb the ladder I can hear it closing. Am I having fun yet? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 06:12 AM

You have to get right up that ladder and down into the vat as soon as you can. I found that jumping down into the vat and then crouching while moving forward did the trick. The gate always started to come down before I got to it so I got injured going through.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 05:20 PM

Good morning; ok. I'll just keep trying. Speaking of injuries, I got a message when I started up the stairs of the sewer about suturing wounds. I clicked on the picture of Jack and different parts of his body and clicked on the sutures but I just get a clunking sound. Am I doing it wrong? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 05:26 PM

I usually just heal all by hitting H. If you wait a bit, the needed sutures turn to wounds that need bandages and you probably have more of them. It sounds like maybe you didn't really need sutures and it was part of a tutorial. You can see the wounds on Jack's body if he needs treatment.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 06:00 PM

Thanks Pokey; I hit "H" guite often when things get hairy. Maybe that's why I don't see wounds when I remember to check.

EDIT: I've had it!!! I'm going as crazy as Jack. There is no way I'm ever going to get up that ladder before that **** gate closes. I'm going to read a nice murder mystery for a while. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 06:23 PM

I didn't have any trouble with that gate. Are you hitting the switch beside the tank, climbing the ladder and then hitting crouched just as you reach the gate?

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 07:52 PM

Pokey; I'm turning the switches on the pipes, going thru two doors, turning the crank going back to the pipes, turning the swithces going back to the crank then climbing the ladder. I never make it to the top of the ladder before the gate closes. I think I need a mental health break.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 08:29 PM

I have a new question. If you don't get to the gate (in the sewer) before it closes can you just turn the crank again or do you have to go back out to the pipes and start from there? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 09:01 PM

You dont get wounds if you are using god mode.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 09:13 PM

Just turn the crank beside the vat. It should be the last thing you do and if you miss the gate, just go back and turn the crank again.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 09:16 PM

Once I got the cranking in proper order I had no trouble getting into the vent.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 09:24 PM

Pokey and JohnBoy I'm in awe. Ok, I'll just keep cranking and climbing. I have managed to get to the top in time to see the gate coming down, just not fast enough to jump and make it thru. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 09:31 PM

Something is not right. You should be able to make it in just a couple tries. I missed the first time because I did not crouch in time, but had no trouble after that.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 09:43 PM

Pokey; I've decided this is a coordination problem. Sometimes I have trouble lining up with the ladder. Then when I do make it up the ladder and jump, before I can locate the gate I hear it closing. This, for me, is going to mean endless attempts. I'm going to do this if it kills me!!! nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 10:08 PM

Hey, try jumping instead of climbing the ladder. I believe thats what I did.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 11:33 PM

Thanks JohnBoy, I'll try that. Climbing is not working for me. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/09/06 11:52 PM

JohnBoy I'm thinking of naming you in my will!!! I despaired of ever getting past that point. praise praise praise nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/10/06 12:27 AM

You guys may be very happy to learn that I am in the church. Right now I'm laying low and taking a breather. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/10/06 12:49 AM

Hooray!! laugh The church is a nice sanctuary for a while.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/10/06 02:09 AM

I'm up the stairs from the vault and Jack is having some serious sanity problems. There is a big hole in the floor. Am I supposed to jump over it? Every time I try I wind up back in the vault. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/10/06 03:05 AM

The one in the hall at the top of the stairs? Yes. There are a few jumps in that area. You are moving right along.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/10/06 03:28 AM

Pokey; Here's where I am: I've made the first jump (up the stairs from the vault) and gone thru a couple of doors. I'm on a landing, I can see the guys downstairs, there are two planks to my left (they both break) there is a space in front of me with a patch of floor ahead, if I jump on it it breaks. Have I missed a turn? Am I supposed to go up to another floor? (I'm not finding one.) Or just keep jumping until I find something that doesn't break. They love it when my butt winds up back downstairs with them. Thank god I saved in the vault. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/10/06 03:39 AM

I was glad to have that vault save too. Hard to remember the jumps and beams. Seems like when you get across the room, you climb up and then walk a beam upwards and out. Keep looking, you'll find it soon.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/10/06 07:23 AM

where you go out onto the area over the fishmen, you have to jump (look up) at the piece of planking in the middle, and as soon as you jump to it keep moving over to the safe side. Then you need to crouch and get to the next level up.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/10/06 06:15 PM

Morning hagatha; I've gotten pretty good at making the two jumps on the 2nd floor, but from there I keep falling thru. If I hear that jerk say, "serach the area, spread out", one more time I'm going to scream. I've gotten to the point of dreaming mayhem on him.

EDIT: It just occured to me to shut the sound off and I don't have to listen to him. duh I must be the world's worst beam walker. cry

UPDATE: Right now my downfall literally and figuratively is the jump to the broken flight of stairs. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/10/06 11:52 PM

So have you made it up to the top level of the bank, and is the jump you're trying to make over a gap to a flight of stairs? Again, the trick is to look slightly up. It took me a lot of tries to get it right.

I turned off the sound in the game any time I was starting to feel a bit stressed, which usually conincided exactly with Jack getting all loopy.

On the official forum a lot of people were saying that turning down the resolution a bit seemed to help with Jack's movement speed. You might try that that.

Take heart. Soon you'll be able to get some revenge on the Fishmen. evil

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/11/06 01:04 AM

Yeah hagatha, sometimes I can make it to that top floor, to that gap to a broken flight of stairs but I have never successfully made that jump. I do look up, maybe not far enough? I have made the trip from the vault so many times I feel like I've worn out the floor. I wish there was a save (maybe after walking the beams). I am truly disheartened to know that there are more jumps ahead. rolleyes

EDIT: I've just had the strangest thing happen twice. I've climbed the stairs (from the vault) and made that first jump, gone on and made the second jump and then when I try to jump up to the fallen beam I suddenly find myself outside on top of a skylight. Jack suffering sever vertigo and can't seem to move. I just return to vault and start over. woozy nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/11/06 03:16 AM

Hooray!!! I'm in the water tower. I found a save/star point. happydance

EDIT: I may have happydanced too soon. When I jumped to the ladder on the water tower and climbed up I'm on a catwalk around the outside. There are openings on two sides with a board going across the middle. (That's where I found the save/star). But, I've been all the way around the outside and across the middle. I'm not finding any way up or down. Was I supposed to end up on top of the water tower? mad nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/11/06 03:59 AM

hagatha; Please see my edit just before your last post. I think I may have to go back to the vault. Please say it ain't so cry nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/11/06 05:11 AM

There should be a balcony that you can jump to. You have a save, so look for the most likely solution and give it a try.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/11/06 05:57 AM

You need to get into the nearby building and move around from there.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/11/06 05:29 PM

Good morning; I think I've hit some sort of glitch. I've been thru the bldgs, across the water tower and met Mackey. When I go thru the window I get a screen that talks about a jailbreak and then the screen goes blank. If I move the mouse it sort of shakes the screen but that's it. (Out the window I land on the ground by a ladder). Is there something wrong? Do I need I patch? What? help nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/11/06 05:49 PM

There is no patch. There is a load screen at this point. Have you tried hitting esc and then continue? Or restarting the game and continue or restarting the computer and continue?

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/11/06 06:18 PM

Pokey; I have tried escape and reload but not esc and continue and not restarting the computer. I'll try those. thanks nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/11/06 07:27 PM

Naah guys somethings wrong. I've even cleaned the disks, uninstalled and reinstalled the game and I still get that greenish/black screen with no picture no sound. Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions? Maybe I'm not supposed to jump out of that window. But I get the intro to Jail Break and and entry in Jack's journal then...blank. cry nu2gaming
Posted By: popcorneater

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/11/06 07:44 PM

Try posting down in glitches nu2gaming and see if one of those on the ball folks can figure it out..sounds like a glitch in your cd; no one else has mentioned this happening to them

Ingie laugh

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/11/06 09:26 PM

I had that problem in the area of the generator room. I was able to go into it but all I could see was green. So I avoided it and just hoped that I did'nt need anything in there. Thats where I am now. I have not played since I experienced that green screen.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/12/06 01:55 AM

Hi JohnBoy; My problem was some adjustments my son had to make on my computer to get Dreamfall to play.
He undid those adjustments and now I am able to continue. Right now I am at the top of the ladder waiting to follow the inbred cop into the alley. wave nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/12/06 03:44 AM

Hi; I'm in the precinct. I have the whistle, the shotgun, ammo, a colt, Capt. Marsh's diary and the keys but I can't get Brian to come out of the cell. He keeps saying he's not going anywhere until he knows he can trust me. Also there is something "high-lighted" in the crazy guy's cell am I supposed to get it? wave nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/12/06 04:40 AM

Don't you have a photograph in your inventory?

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/12/06 05:34 AM

Aha. Now you have firepower. Payback time. Did you pick up the crowbar outside? It's a very handy thing.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/12/06 03:39 PM

Pokey; Oh, the photograph. Hadn't thought of that.
Yes hagatha, I got the crowbar. And popcorneater, since mine is a systems administrator, he comes in very handy. Sometimes though he gets a little frustated at my total tech phobia. wave nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/12/06 04:36 PM

OK. I've got Brian out, I've been to the garage (no Mackey), back to the precinct, fed the dead rat to the crazy guy got the paper from his cell, pushed the wardrobe aside to reveal the safe and Jack refuses to open it. He keeps saying "not right now", "maybe later" etc...what have I missed? Oh! By the way, I'm having a ball finally blowing these guy to pieces. happydance nu2dancing

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/12/06 05:52 PM

You have to have the combination to open it. You need to open and read something maybe?

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/12/06 05:56 PM

Mackey should have been in the garage when you entered it from the sewers. Did Brian tell you to get the brooch?

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/12/06 07:43 PM

I am definitely missing something. I went back to the water tower and started from there. I have the crowbar and all the stuff from the jail. I released Brian and went to the garage (thru the sewer) picking up the dead rat. Brian just seems to stay at the end of the alley behind the garage. Hasn't said anything about a broach. And I haven't seen Mackey though I've been in the garage and gotten the ammo and med kit and some kind of green box under the stairs. The door to garage will not stay open and Jack says he will have to lead Brian thru the sewer I've been through that and still Brian stays at the end of the alley. cry I don't know what to do now. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/12/06 08:05 PM

You have to lead Brian through the sewer. I don't know why he won't follow you. Did you talk to him? I had him at the save point for a while and then he followed me. The Call of Cthulhu board is closed temporarily or you could maybe get help there. Maybe they are going to fix the search function--or maybe down for good.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/12/06 08:24 PM

Pokey; I finally got Brian to follow me. I have him in the garage working on the truck. I've talked to Mackey and gotten the broach. Yay!!!!

EDIT: I'm in the cannery. I have the tommy gun and all the stuff from the cannery. At the window to the save/star I looked in my inventory and didn't see the crowbar so I used the shotgun and shot out the window. Got the save now I'm in the icehouse looking for the keys. I climbed up the ice shoot and got the green box (that's the second one, by the way, what are they)? But have not located the keys. wave nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/13/06 02:44 AM

Next to the room with the ice, there is a pile of boxes. You can crawl inside the space there and get to the storage room.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/13/06 02:58 AM

Thanks Pokey; I'll try that. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/13/06 03:24 AM

No good Pokey; I've crouched and crawled under boxes tried jumping on boxes (I do get to one point where it looks like I need to crawl under some more boxes but Jack won't move there). I can see a ladder I can see what looks like doors but no matter what I do I can't get there. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/13/06 03:56 AM

There is a bit of a ledge in the path through the boxes that is hard to climb up on.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/13/06 05:35 AM

Pokey; I don't have the vaguest idea how I got into the room to get the keys, but I did. Unfortunately Ruth died before I could get to her. And Brian died in a truck crash. I have now been taken over by Herbert Hoover and am in the refinery. (Would you believe that?) I think I will leave Jack there happily blowing creatures to bits, while I get some shut eye. sleep nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/13/06 05:41 AM

One thing about the refinery - make sure you search the office area before you go forward. You will not be able to get back in there after a while. Behind the door is a gun you definitely want -- trust me! Too bad about Ruth. But they were doomed anyway.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/13/06 06:27 PM

Good Morning; Been at this for a couple of hours. Not making a lot of progress. Did get weapons, ammo, etc. Repaired generator and am looking for save point which is supposed to be in ore processing can't find it. Did get to bucket control and pushed button. This is where I'm stuck. Do you jump in a bucket here or somewhere else? I keep falling down one level which seems to lead nowhere. I always wind up reloading and repeating up to this point. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/13/06 07:12 PM

You get on the bucket very near a save point, which is back just past where you got the belt to repair the generator. I had trouble getting on the bucket. Just keep trying. You jump off the bucket right after it passes the bucket control.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/13/06 08:49 PM

Pokey; I'm getting on the bucket pretty well. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get off. I keep winding up down below and having to reload. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/13/06 09:05 PM

OK. Is there some certain place in the bucket you need to stand? I've gotten as close to center of the edge and as close to the edge as I can. No matter what I wind up in the dam----room down below. I can not tell you how many times I've made this trip. cry rotfl nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/13/06 09:23 PM

I think you are supposed to be in the room below. Isn't there a ladder to climb up? When the bucket stops just past the bucket control, jump to the pile of boxes below.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 12:41 AM

Hi Pokey; Nah. I was missing the jump and winding up way down a total dead end. I finally jumped toward the right instead of head on and I made it. I am now at the point of the conveyor belt. (Been down it a couple of times. How nasty. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 02:45 AM

OK. I keep falling in the meat grinder. Is it really possible to jump to that broken catwalk before you get turned into hamburger? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 04:38 AM

Yes, you can. I fell into it once before I knew to jump, but had no problem after that and I jumped many times.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 04:48 AM

Pokey; I've jumped many times. I either miss the catwalk altogether or the **** thing collapses and dumps me in the grinder. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 05:03 AM

The catwalk does collapse when you jump on it but you should be able to crawl off of it.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 06:10 AM

The catwalk collapses, but once you jump you need to immediately move over to the right side as far into the corner of the platform as you can. That part of the platform doesn't collapse (although it tilts), and then you can just jump down once the rumbling stops.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 03:47 PM

Am I supposed to jump on the long part of the catwalk on the right or the short part on the left? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 05:05 PM

wave I'm at the point where you have to save Hoover. I have failed to kill Marsh numerous times. Do you have to kill him here or can you get him later? Do you have to have the rifle to kill him? I've tried the tommy gun and the shotgun. He walks away from both. I don't have the rifle. If I need it can I go back somewhere and find it? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 05:26 PM

You can't go back and get the rifle. I didn't have it either. You do get a chance to pick one up later. I used a revolver or the other handgun to get him and it took several tries. You only hit him enough for him to run out. I found it easier if I moved to the middle of the walkway.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 05:34 PM

Oh. I've hit him every time. I thought you had to kill him. So it's ok for him to run after you hit him? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 05:43 PM

If he left the area, you just need to rescue Hoover. Before that, he would always kill you when you climbed the ladder.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 06:39 PM

eek scared stay away from electrolysis!!! I'm not finding the vat control panel, unless it's the one in the room with the monstrosity. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 07:05 PM

It's in the room with the shoggoth. Down the stairs, but it is tricky getting past him. If you activate the right spot, there is a dialogue that helps you.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 07:09 PM

Yes, the Infamous Vat Control Panel. To get to it you have to go down the stairs to the right of the Tentacled One! Not a nice thought, I know....

If you're having trouble with this, here's how to avoid the brute, more or less:

When you regain control of Jack, run into the room to the right and crouch behind the crates. As soon as Jack says he should get going, stand up and walk to the stairs on the right and go down. Never mind, I know it's freaky, but if you don't stop for even a second you will get to the end of the catwalk. Go down the ladder. DOn't stop -- move to the end of the lower walkway and up the ladder at tyhe end. Keep going until you get to the end of that catwalk and then crouch in the very right hand corner. The Tentacled One will not reach you there and you can regain sanity and heal. If you've just kept moving you should get to this point with no damage at all.

The Vat Control Panel is there, and it is very hard to activate it without getting badly injured. You have to move forward towards the panel but not close enough for the tentacle to reach you, and then when the tentacle withdraws rush to the front of the panel and hit the button. It's not that easy, and in the end I had to settle for Jack being "almost dead" and used up a lot of medical supplies. But once you've done this bit the rest of this section is not so hard.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 08:39 PM

hagatha; as usual you are my saving angel. I can't tell you how many times I've returned to a previous save spot because I didn't know how to get past him. I was told that once you get past him/it you were supposed to run across the catwalk to a save spot. I'm not finding it. I've been to the office and gotten the fuse but when a come out of the office guess who is blocking the way? Am I taking too long to get the fuse? I'm not finding another exit from the office so this has to be it. praise scared nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/14/06 10:54 PM

No, you've gone the right way.

But after you get to the office and pick up the fuse, you go back down the stairs and there's a tentacle blocking the way again. The Tentacled One has found Jack! I guess it peered in the window of the office and decided Jack had gone far enough.

One you go back down the stairs from the office, to get past it you have to walk along the wall to the crates that are sittiing there, jump over them, turn around and jump back. Stay close to the wall!

The tentacle will have moved over BRIEFLY so ASAP get yourself back along the catwalks to the the ladder and back up to the original spot where you first met the Giant Calamari. Watch out for sneak attacks. When you get back to the top, that's where you need to use the fuse. After that you should be able to get to the next save spot.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/15/06 01:02 AM

Hi hagatha; My eternal gratitude. Now I know how I will be spending my weekend. I'm just not fast enough with the bolts and doors "IT" gets me every time. I think I usually make it to the third door, but that's it. This is going to take a while. eek scared Maybe if I turn off the sound and try it that way? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/15/06 01:46 AM

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that bit! Yes, turning down the sound does help keep you from panicking. And again, apparently turning the resolution down helps although I never tried that.

That sequence made me want to go to the fish store and buy a whole lot of calamari and octopus for a revenge stir fry! evil

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/15/06 04:51 PM

I don't see how this game can get any harder. I'm on Boy Scout level and I can not get past the second bolted door. Does anyone have a saved game? help nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/15/06 06:32 PM

I don't have one for that spot, unfortunately. My game was on P.I. Level anyway.

Have you tried turning down the game resolution? Some people reported that this makes Jack's movement easier. Also, is Jack wounded at all? If he is he will not move as fast -- especially if he has a leg injury.

Otherwise, you should just be opening and closing/bolting doors and moving on to the next one until you get through the fourth one, I think it is.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/15/06 09:42 PM

I'm glad you were able to get Jack moving again.

How did your son speed him up? Jack only ever moved at one speed for me - almost painfully slowly. I always felt like screaming at him -- "Run, you fool! Run!"

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/15/06 10:18 PM

Hagatha; there is a patch you can download where you can pick and choose all kinds of things (including god-mode) like Jack's speed; severity of injuries etc., etc. A very long list.
In case anyone is interested it's from JohnBoy on page 2 of this thread.

EDIT: Alright! I want a save just before you enter the ritual chamber. Soon I will start cheering the bugs that are eating Jack alive. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/16/06 02:42 AM

OK. What's the trick? The first time I entered the ritual room I managed to push the stand with the red stone almost to the door before Jack collapsed with DT's. Now I've been back 4 times and I barely get in the room before he's down. cry duh rotfl

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/16/06 05:48 AM

OK. What you're trying to do is get a red light beam to shine on that spot above the door you came in. The statue sends out the red light beam when you push the button on the apparatus at the end of the room. The light bounces off the statue.

You need to push the statue to ABOUT half way to the door, but do it in stages, pushing the button after you push the statue, to see where the light is shining.

The statue in this room seems to make Jack REALLY loopy, and it eventually drives him insane. By the way if you end up in the asylum, you get back to the game by exiting your room.

Once the red beam has hit the spot above the door, you have to take the red jewel from the statue in order to open the door, and that's how you get back out - same door you came in.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/16/06 01:27 PM

Thanks hagatha; I thought I had to push the thing all the way to the door. And I didn't know anything about a button. The first time I pushed the stand almost to the door. Ever since, Jack blows it quicker and quicker. The last time, I barely entered the room. Is there a star/save point I can get to to bolster his sanity before I try again? And, I thought when he goes completely bonkers I had to reload and try again. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/16/06 05:38 PM

happydance Praise the Lord and pass the whiskey! I made it to the save point at smugglers pass. I hope there is a bit of a respite now. wave nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/16/06 06:45 PM

The first bit of this area can be tricky but all in all, since you have your weapons, this level should be a walk in the park. Er, comparatively speaking.

Edit: Oh, and one thing I found about Jack getting worse and worse - he does seem to do this with each reload from within the game. I actually found that if I exited the game and then restarted Jack seems calmer.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/16/06 07:07 PM

Thanks hagatha; I am now in the Masonic Hall (my father would have a fit). Boy does it feel good to be able to kill these freaks again. happydance wave nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/16/06 09:02 PM

I'm sure I've been in every room downstairs and upstairs, back downstairs, opened safe, back upstairs. Where the devil is this stone tablet I'm supposed to translate? I find a big arch looking thing but no tablet. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/16/06 10:05 PM

happydance I figured it out!!! I have released Mackey (he's not looking so good), and made my save. Now I have to get some chores done. wave nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/16/06 11:15 PM

Woo Hoo!

I got confused by that tablet for a long time, too - kept looking at that archway.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/16/06 11:43 PM

Hi hagatha; I have to tell you a couple of times I regetted letting Mackey out. Now I'm down in the ritual chamber and I can't get the door to open. Is it a timed puzzle? Please NOOOO! I hate timed puzzles. Anyway I pushed the buttons on the backs of the statues: (Dagon; Hydra; Dagon; Cthulhu; Dagon; Cthulhu), but the door is not opening. I don't know what else to do. help nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/17/06 02:15 AM

No, it's not a timed puzzle.

You have to look at the broken pieces of the wall fresco and work out where they go to get the order of the buttons, and kneel in front of the statues to figure out which of the anchor runes is for which god. I had trouble with this bit too.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/17/06 05:27 AM

hagatha; I'm pretty sure I have the wall plaque thing figured out. But I cannot figure out which anchor goes with which statue. The three "anchors" are in the same order under each statue. The symbols for the statues (under the anchors) are different. Under Dagon the upright anchor is over the symbol for Dagon; under the Cthulhu the upright anchor is over the symbol for Cthulhu and under the statue for Hydra the same anchor is over the symbol for Hydra. So who belongs to what? I went to the walkthrough and it said the order is Dagon/Hydra/Dagon/Cthulhu/Dagon/Cthulhu but that doesn't work, the door does not open. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/17/06 06:35 AM

If I remember rightly it was only one of the statues that had the correct anchor pictures, which is where I got all messed up too, trying to figure it all out.

Edit: The official forum seems to be permanently down, but I found a decent walkthrough at gamefaqs.com. I tried to link but it won't let me.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/17/06 02:21 PM

Thanks hagatha; I found the walkthrough. It explains how to match anchors to statues but gives the sequence which I have already tried. I haven't been able to get it to work. Maybe someone could e-mail me the correct combination so it doesn't spoil it for anyone else. Please help nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/17/06 07:28 PM

The order you used is correct. Are you sure you identified the statues correctly?

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/17/06 07:35 PM

Pokey; Just got home from mahjongg so haven't tried yet, but as I face the statues there is Dagon on the left, Cthulhu in the center and Hydra on the right. I can't figure out why this is not working. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/17/06 07:52 PM

I don't recall their positions. Does your cheat have a level skip if all else fails?

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/17/06 08:02 PM

rolleyes I don't know about a level skip, I'll have to check it out. I assume the door I'm trying to open is the one right behind the statue of Cthulhu? Well it won't budge. I'm going to check the patch. I'll let you know. rotfl No, I don't find anthing about skipping a level. Am I trying to get thru the wrong door? help nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/17/06 08:27 PM

YEAH!!! happydance I figured it out. I feel so stupid. I had never before had Jack comment on the broken fragments. oops When I did that, then looked thru the grills in front of the statues then pushed the buttons, the door opened. I am now on the bridge. I cannot thank you enough for sticking with me on this. nu2gaming
Posted By: popcorneater

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/17/06 08:33 PM

happydance bravo

Y'all are doing great..nu2gaming

Ingie

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/17/06 09:02 PM

Thanks popcorneater; You know, I had moved in front of those fragments 20 times or more. I just had never had Jack comment on them. I can't believe it was something so simple. Guess that will teach me to have Jack examine everything. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/17/06 10:03 PM

OK. Jack is not doing so good. There are body parts all over the deck. He's been to the storage room and back up. All I can get from the ensign is "Check the cannon sights" and something about witchcraft. I can't seem to give him the ammo. Please tell me what I am forgetting. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/18/06 01:17 AM

Managed to get the previous problem solved. Now I'm trying to deal with the waves and the cannon. When I get to the cannon and click the action button I get a view of the ocean but I don't seem to have any control. How do I fire this thing? As a gunner I seem to rank (from 1-10) about zero. My brain knows this is just a game but my mind is saying oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. duh nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/18/06 02:44 AM

uh oh; I got that it's left mouse zoom, right mouse to fire, or whatever, but how do you aim? The w/t says analog stick. I'm on a computer, not an x-box. What do I use to aim? I'm just moving the mouse but it's not very accurate. I hope they have an infinite supply of shells for this cannon because I'm going to need them. slapforehead nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/18/06 04:17 PM

help I can not, for the life of me, hit any of those sorcerers. I've read the other thread (JohnBoy and Darlene's) and don't see that any of you have had any trouble with this. Any suggestions? cry nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/19/06 07:15 PM

I'm baaaack! Finally made it to land. I spent hours trying to kill Dagon with shotgun and tommy gun. Finally gave up and went to the cannon. I had to kill him again before I reached the first save point. Am now trying to get to that little island at the end of the ledge. Once, I got there and saw cutscene then somehow fell off. The next time I fell into the water while still trying to navigate the ledge. I'm going back in. Wish me luck. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/19/06 10:41 PM

Hi there,

Just got back from a mini-holiday.

Walking along the ledges is tricky. You'll learn where to jump after a few tries.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/19/06 11:04 PM

Hi hagatha; I missed you. Well It took a few tries but I finally made it to the cave. Missed a turn or something somewhere because suddenly I was outside the cave staring at some vicious spikes on one side and a drop to water on the other so I need to reload. Luckily, I ran back and saved after the lower ledge so only need to repeat the higher one. I do enjoy this game, if I can at least make a little progress each day, the cannon and sorcerers had me ready to burn the discs. My son to the rescue. I'd never have made it. Was gratifying to get Dagon. evil nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/20/06 02:08 AM

Wow. Getting past these waves while on the ledge is tricky. I've learned not to stand. But even crouched, when I try to check to see where the ledge is, I'm in the water. mad nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/20/06 02:44 AM

Finally got past the waves several times. happydance I'm in the room with the green stone, console and wall plaque, where you use Ruth's brooch. Every time I push the brooch Jack's vision goes all whonky and I can't get him to move. Of course I can't see which way to go anyway. I've tried waiting out his vision problem but by then the timer has lapsed. I've tried checking out the room for an exit before I push the brooch but don't see anything except what looks like a crawl space behind the green stone. How do I get out of here? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/20/06 02:59 AM

Before you push the brooch for real, push it and explore and find where you need to go. Kill all the things that get in your way and then come back and push the brooch again. The first thing you need to do is make a jump to a very narrow ledge and then follow the maze using the red lights.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/20/06 03:21 AM

Thanks Pokey; I'll try again. I still don't know why Jack goes all whonky and won't move. I haven't seen anything to kill, and believe me I'm looking. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/20/06 04:13 AM

Jack's insanity comes and goes because..well, because he is insane. There isn't always a trigger. Jack is very afraid of heights, so he may go wonky if he's standing on a ledge. If you have to make a jump it's best to just do it, looking up slightly, rather than have Jack stand around, because he WILL go on a wobble. If he gets too bad, stare at the ground or something that isn't threatening and wait for his heartbeat to slow down again.

I did find that exiting the game and starting again seems to reset Jack's sanity levels, whereas reloading a save from in-game seems to result in him getting progressively worse.

By the way, congratulations on getting past Dagon. Now that was a satisfying victory, wasn't it?

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/20/06 04:16 PM

I'm having a really hard time in this room with the green stone. I think I found a ledge (behind the green stone; when I jump I get higher than the stone), but once up there I can't get Jack to move. The only way I see is to the right. I can get Jack to move to the left, but he just winds up back in front of the console. Please tell me if I am totally wrong about the ledge. help nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/20/06 05:20 PM

The ledge is near the bridge. You have to jump across a chasm to land on a very narrow ledge and then you head to the left to reach the tunnels. Did you use the Book of Dagon on the control panel?

The Call of Cthulhu forum is supposed to resume today. Maybe the search function will finally work.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/20/06 05:31 PM

Yeah Pokey I did use the book of Dagon. Please tell me something. A couple of times I've seen a glowing red stone. I've tried to pick it up but it turns back to a plain stone when the timer stops. Is this something I am suppose to grab, (while it is still red)? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/20/06 05:40 PM

You don't pick up any red stones. There are red stones that mark the trail as long as the timer hasn't expired, and the red jewel in your inventory, which you place on the pedestal before the timer expires.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/20/06 08:09 PM

Thank both of you very much. I think I'll take a break. My body should look like a prune, I've fought those waves so many times. I'm not making that jump to the ledge. (I'm not a very good jumper). Don't see a ledge by the broken bridge on the right so will keep trying the one on the left. Bye for now. wave nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/20/06 08:15 PM

Are you sure you are jumping to the correct ledge? I jumped it many times and had no trouble. The ledge is very slim and hard to see. Not something you would think to jump to.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/20/06 08:44 PM

No Pokey I'm not sure. I've been trying to jump to a sort of half round ledge to the left of the broken bridge. There is a very thin one on the right I'll go back and try that. Thanks bunches. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/20/06 10:53 PM

Hi; Well I finally made it across that jump. At first I kept trying to jump close to the bridge and kept falling. Then I said, "what could happen, you'd fall"? So I tried jumping closer (to a ledge I wasn't even sure I was seeing) and I made it. Only to fall in some kind of hole a little farther. Oh well. The reason I started playing these games is because I had so much spare time. So what the heck. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/21/06 02:17 AM

Oh dear. After you go across and kill all the scorpions, or whatever they are, and get back to the bridge do you stay on the narrow ledge all the way across or what? I keep falling off before I get to the bridge.

EDIT: Nevermind. I finally looked around, without falling, and saw the cave opening. Now all I have to do is make that jump. So far no luck. I wish you didn't have to go all the way back to where you use the lever. That seems too long without a save. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/21/06 04:08 AM

You use the lever, and then make the jump across the bridge and follow the lights on the ground until you get to where you need to go. It isn't very far -- it just seems like it is because you can end up going in circles if you lose sight of the lights.

By the way leave the green jewel where it is.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/22/06 12:01 AM

Hi gang; You won't believe this. I finally found my way to the stand for the red stone. Unfortunately, not in time. I've been back 4 times the last time I thought I was going to make it and I fell in the pit. rotfl cry At least now I think I can do this. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/22/06 08:33 AM

It's a fantastic feeling. Especially when you're not very good at this. The very hardest part for me was shooting the sorcerers with the cannon. Finally had to give up and have my son do it. He knocked them out bam, bam, bam. I had been trying for two days, never hitting one. Was getting ready to burn the disc. But from the sorcerers on I've been on my own. With great hints from boomers :kiss: praise thanks nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/22/06 11:52 PM

OK. Here's what's happening. I fight the polyups (it takes forever for that thing to charge up) then when no more come at me I move and am suddenly surrounded by bluish/greenish everything (it sort of looks like being under water). Have I been knocked off the bridge or has the program crashed?

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/23/06 01:31 AM

Someone else had this same problem. I think it might be a bug. But try the sequence again just to be sure.

The official site is up now, so you might be able to get some help. There's some stickies about technical issues.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/24/06 12:23 AM

Whoa! This is going to take some doing. In all the times I've shot the gong, run upstairs, killed the fishmen and then got the fishman point of view (once), I jumped up to the statue but don't know if I managed to trip the switch. I didn't see Jack's hand, and then it was back to Jack's point of view. Did I or didn't I? And do you really mean I have to do this for four statues. Whew! How do I know when I trip the switch? I'm worn out already. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/24/06 12:54 AM

If you tripped the switch, water will be running from that statue to the center area. When you hit the gong, make it from point blank range. I had trouble with this at first, but soon got on to it.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/24/06 01:49 AM

Thanks Pokey; A couple more questions: If I go back to the save point then later exit game (before reaching another save point) do I keep whatever progress I went back and saved? And what's with Jack? He has started randomly drawing weapons. It's very strange. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/24/06 02:02 AM

Yes, you save any progress made. the save in the tunnel is handy. Make sure you kill every deep one in the room.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/24/06 02:29 AM

Pokey; Am I right in assuming that once Jack's vision clears and I hear that high pitched singing, or what ever it is, that I just need to go back down and shoot the gong again? Boy, I must be the world's slowest learner. nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/24/06 03:30 AM

Help!! I finally learned to shoot the gong, but I cannot get Jack to push the lever on the back of the statue. You just push the "S" key right? For some reason it's not working. rotfl I've tried standing directly in front of the switch and off to both sides. I'm pushing "S" like crazy but nothing is happening. cry nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/24/06 03:47 AM

No, it is the action key--left mouse button.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/24/06 02:25 PM

Rah!Rah!Rah! I finished the game, (with a lot of help from my friends). happydance happydance happydance Never thought I could do it. Finished with "E", clinically insane. I may have to get another A/A game. Am playing TLJ and it seems so tame. Thank all of you for your patience, and help. nu2gaming
Posted By: jeri

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/24/06 03:43 PM

I've read this whole post and it is great. I still cannot get past the set of stairs at the end of the balance beams. I have spent 3 days on this and I am able to do the first jump, go over the beams and thru the door to the set of steps. That jump just never makes it. Is there a special trick, like how far out on the floor you go, or when you look up? I really hate it when games makers make just a simple jump so hard to do.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/24/06 07:44 PM

jeri; I'm not sure where you are, but I always found that I had to get as close to the edge of a jump as I could and never look down. Jack has terrible vertigo. Also, I could never make a high jump on stealth. I always had to standing and on regular speed, return to stealth as soon as I made the jump. nu2gaming
Posted By: jeri

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/24/06 08:08 PM

I figure that you need to get as close to the edge as possible. But, as has been said you are not to look down. It is very hard then to know when you are at the edge. I finally master one jumb only to find another one staring at me. Once, in three days I got past the stairs in the burning building (after the balance beams) and then of course comes the jump to the ladder and poof I was dead. Then back to that same jump to the stairs that I find impossible. Aargh. I got all of the health possible, am standing up, and I look up as I jump. But, I can't make it. It sure would be easier if you could save after going through some of these difficult spots.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/24/06 08:25 PM

If you're trying to jump across to the exit from the bank (where the set of stairs is across a gap) I found it easier to start from as far back as I could and just move forward looking slightly up and then jump. This is a hard one -- I fell a few times before I got it right.

nu2gaming, congratulations on getting through the game! happydance

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/24/06 09:13 PM

jeri; You will never know how many times I cursed the creators of this game for not allowing saves before something bad or hard. Please know you are not alone. I spent hours trying to get past some of these things. Please believe me when I say, "If I can do it ANYONE can do it". nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/25/06 07:08 AM

Now here's the thing about getting through this game. When you play it on a higher level, it's easier, not harder. I got right through to the end of the Jailbreak section on Hardened Detective level -- in a few hours -- because I knew what to do.

Unfortnately my game computer seems to have bugged out on me, so I won't be continuing for a while. But anyway the first run-through the game is the tough one. After that Jack's in command -- er, well, sort of -- right until the end.

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/30/06 03:14 AM

Hi; I've decided to retry DCOTE on Hardened Detective level. So far so good. I am in the grocery store and for some reason I cannot get Jack to go down the ladder. When I look at the ladder and press "w" he backs up. I didn't have this problem on Boy Scout level. What's happening? nu2gaming

EDIT: I must have had a senior moment. I just remembered you have to crouch down to get him to climb down that ladder. whistle nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/31/06 04:07 AM

Hi hagatha; Good to hear from you again. I'm at the part where you have to jump to the catwalk over the grinder. I think I gave up and had my son do this for me before. Now I'm on my own. So where exactly do you aim your jump. Close the the mesh? Or more to the end of the broken catwalk? A couple of times I've somehow ended up in the broken grinder. The w/t says duck and crawl under the broken catwalk??? I can't get Jack to move. I can look down and see a body way down below and the broken grinder around me with the piece of catwalk sticking straight up in the grinder. Is this where I'm supposed to be? nu2gaming

Re: Call of Cthulhu/Dark Corners of the Earth - 07/31/06 07:02 AM

Jump as far as you can, over to the RIGHT hand side and as soon as you land move to the corner. The walkway will collapse but you will stay on and be able to jump down once all the movement stops. But don't jump into the grinder. woozy
© 2024 GameBoomers Community