GB HOMEPAGE

discworld noir, out of memory

Posted By: o1alien

discworld noir, out of memory - 08/19/03 07:27 PM

I searched under glitches, bugs and patches also in adventure games to find help with this game and didnt find an answer. I am playing Discworld NOIR from Infogrames. I am almost through Act II. I went to start the game this afternoon and got a message stating "discworld noir out of memory". I know I have 1 gig of space on my hard drive. I am playing on WIN ME and have not had a problem with the game otherwise. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, ET
Posted By: BacardiJim

Re: discworld noir, out of memory - 08/19/03 07:31 PM

The "out of memory" error refers to not having enough RAM available to run the game. Time to clear your cache. Double-click My Computer, then right-click whatever hard drive the game is on. Select "Properties" and then click the "Disk Cleanup" button. Once it is done running, reboot.

This should clear out your RAM (and a bunch of other stuff) and let the game run.

Re: discworld noir, out of memory - 08/19/03 07:36 PM

Thank you so much, as I was waiting for a reply I went to System Properties and Performance and found I have 256.0 MB of Ram and the system resources are 32% free. Now ask me what that means...no no don't, I was only kidding. I will do as you say and hope this works. Once again thank you for your help. ET wink

Re: discworld noir, out of memory - 08/19/03 08:07 PM

Ok, it didnt work. when done i went back to system properties - performance and found 256.0 MB, System Resources 52% (was 32%), File System 32 bit and virtual memory 32 bit. I rebooted the system and tried to play the game, again message "Discworld Noir out of memory" came up. Any other suggestions I might be able to try. I really really like this game and hate to think I dont have enough memory to play it. ET wink

Re: discworld noir, out of memory - 08/19/03 08:18 PM

apparently you have a LOT of background programs running. Try shutting some of them down.

Re: discworld noir, out of memory - 08/19/03 08:22 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, would you remind me how to do that....lol....apparently my rememberer is broken. ET wink

Re: discworld noir, out of memory - 08/19/03 08:33 PM

Press crtl-alt-delete (all at the same time) You will get a list of all programs that are running. Use the "End Program" button to turn off non-essential ones.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: discworld noir, out of memory - 08/19/03 08:35 PM

Control-Alt-Delete to open Task Manager.
Explorer and Systray are the only ones that are essential in Win 98 (and probably Win ME too)
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: discworld noir, out of memory - 08/19/03 08:36 PM

Looks like we posted at about the same time, BJ.

Re: discworld noir, out of memory - 08/19/03 08:39 PM

Thank you very much, both of you. If I remember correctly after I have deleted everything nonessential and turn the puter back on again, everything I deleted will have returned. Is that correct? So I should delete these things everytime I want to play the game...groan... Thank you again, ET wink

Re: discworld noir, out of memory - 08/19/03 08:49 PM

That's correct, ET. wink

And at least we agree on some things, Jenny. wink
Posted By: Ladybug

Re: discworld noir, out of memory - 08/20/03 08:54 PM

There is a program that you can download from ambermont.com called "End It All" that will close everything that is running in the background except explorer and systray. I also have WinME and 256ram and I use End It All. It does all the work for you and after you shut down the computer and turn it back on again, everything comes back. It's very easy to use and it does improve the performance of the computer. Hope this helps. laugh
© 2024 GameBoomers Community