GB HOMEPAGE

Nvidia Drivers?

Posted By: TLC

Nvidia Drivers? - 03/04/06 04:20 PM

I have the GeForce FX 5200 Ultra. Main driver: nv4_disp.dll. Version: 6.14.0010.6177. Its an old one, I know. scared

thanks
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Nvidia Drivers? - 03/04/06 04:38 PM

That would be the one. I've been running it from day one, no probs at all.

Re: Nvidia Drivers? - 03/04/06 05:00 PM

InlandAZ,

wave
Posted By: Pokey

Re: Nvidia Drivers? - 03/04/06 07:28 PM

Unless you are having problems with the drivers you have, I wouldn't upgrade. Sometimes the newest drivers don't work well with older cards.

Re: Nvidia Drivers? - 03/04/06 07:39 PM

InlandAZ,

I was going to uninstall the old drivers but don't know which of these to uninstall?

The choices are:

O Remove all Nvidia drivers, including display
O Remove all Nvidia drivers, excluding display

O Remove only the following:
O Nvidia display driver
O Nvidia GART driver

wave

Re: Nvidia Drivers? - 03/04/06 11:13 PM

I rarely uninstall the drivers (never had an issue) - but, if I was going to, I'd take your second option: Remove all Nvidia drivers, including display.
Posted By: cazziejoe

Re: Nvidia Drivers? - 03/04/06 11:26 PM

I actually keep different versions on my computer. You'd be surprised how a game won't work and then you load an older version and voile it works!
Posted By: infernoj13usa

Re: Nvidia Drivers? - 03/05/06 01:05 AM

I do the same thing, cazzsiejoe.
Nvidia Driver 81.98 has issues with the Myst Uru Series, Myst IV and V for me -- and L&O.

I had to roll back to what I use now -- 78.01
which does work perfectly with my old dinosaur
Nvidia GeForceII MX/MX400 and DIrectX9c.

So, go figure. I think you have to consider all three elements.

Age of Nvidia Card
Version of DirectX
Versio of Driver.

inferno

Re: Nvidia Drivers? - 03/05/06 01:42 AM

I didn't know this. duh If you have more than one, how do you switch between them? duh

Re: Nvidia Drivers? - 03/05/06 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TLC:
I didn't know this. duh If you have more than one, how do you switch between them? duh
I keep several versions of each major driver set as well - I download each to a common folder (named NVIDIA).

To switch the driver, all you have to do is run the executable.

Like I said, it's very rare that a driver has to be completely removed prior to installing a new one (even if you decide to install an older version).

Re: Nvidia Drivers? - 03/05/06 03:16 AM

InlandAZ,

I have a folder with Nvidia drivers. But I always thought one had to be uninstalled before installing another. Thanks for the info. wave
Posted By: infernoj13usa

Re: Nvidia Drivers? - 03/05/06 05:32 AM

That's what I do --- uninstaller the one I don't want --restart -- and then install the one that I do want.

inferno

Re: Nvidia Drivers? - 03/05/06 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TLC:
InlandAZ,

I have a folder with Nvidia drivers. But I always thought one had to be uninstalled before installing another. Thanks for the info. wave
Some swear by it - I just load one version on top of the other.
Posted By: MDAMLADY

Re: Nvidia Drivers? - 03/11/06 04:35 AM

Just Downloaded the newest 81.98.

Nvidia recommends Uninstalling all from Add/Remove programs because all the Downloads are included with the newest. IE: 60 series and 70 series are included. They are trying to fix some of the older glitches that occur over time.

Of course as always I create a Restore Point just in case; then remove Nvidia drivers, run CCleaner then Exe. new download . Never had any problems and I've had the Nvidia for 3 years now.

Much improved over Savage 3D! Ha! Ha!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community