GB HOMEPAGE

Installing Stay Tuned on XP

Posted By: goopiekat

Installing Stay Tuned on XP - 05/22/03 11:35 PM

Yep, another Stay Tuned for Danger on XP question. My installation seems to go okay until I go to run the game. First of all I have to go into "Run" and find the game.exe file first, and then when I click on it, I get the following message: Error: Incorrect path to INI file D:\Game\Game.INI. What does this mean? The CD is definitely in my D drive. I got no error messages while installing. Hmmm.
Thanks.
Goopiekat
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Installing Stay Tuned on XP - 05/23/03 04:21 AM

Are you running the game from the .exe on the CD or from the .exe on the hard drive? You don't want to run it from off the CD.

Re: Installing Stay Tuned on XP - 05/24/03 12:33 AM

Oh. Umm..well, I installed it, then hit "Run", then browse the D drive...okay, so I guess that means I'm running it from the CD! (I'm so computer literate.) How do I run it off the hard drive?
Goop

Re: Installing Stay Tuned on XP - 05/24/03 03:14 AM

Doesn't Windows XP have a Start button \ Programs list the way Win 98 does? If not, try browing C: and look for the Nancy Drew folder. It could be in C: or it could be in the Program Files folder or it could be in a Dreamcatcher folder that's inside the Program Files folder. If you can't find it, maybe XP has something like the Start \ Find \ Files or Folders in Windows 98 and you could do a searcy for Nancy*.*

Re: Installing Stay Tuned on XP - 05/25/03 06:38 PM

Jenny, thanks for your patience! I just checked and the Nancy Drew folder does appear in the C directory - I click on it, then a subfolder entitled Stay Tuned for Danger, and then another subfolder entitled "Game", which is in Notepad, but all I get is a small screen that says "Nancy Drew" in brackets, with nothing to do but click out of it. The "Games" file type just says "Notepad" and "Configuration Settings". That's all I have. Help!
Goopie

Re: Installing Stay Tuned on XP - 05/25/03 07:08 PM

Well, ya got me.
I have no idea what's going on with that.
I don't have the game anymore so I can't check what the installation on the hard drive should look like.

Maybe you need to change the Setup file on the CD to be in Win 98 compatibility mode before installing, but I'm just guessing.

Inferno?
Anyone else?

Re: Installing Stay Tuned on XP - 05/27/03 03:01 PM

Jenny, would you believe something as simple as that last suggestion worked. Or rather, Windows '95 worked. I had tried '98 and NT because I thought, it being a newer game, why would it need to run on '95. I finally lost all patience, figured what did I have to lose in trying '95....and it's playing fine now. I admit it, I'm a loser, I should've tried them all from the very beginning. But Dreamcatcher even states in their promos that it's designed for XP! Go figure. At any rate, thanks for all your help and suggestions. And your patience!
Goopie

Re: Installing Stay Tuned on XP - 05/27/03 07:22 PM

That's strange. I wonder what the difference is between 95 compatibility and 98 compatibility.
Posted By: Jimmm

Re: Installing Stay Tuned on XP - 06/06/03 11:31 AM

When I run all my old games including Nancy Drew
Mysteries on XP I use the Program Compatiblity
Wizard
Posted By: infernoj13usa

Re: Installing Stay Tuned on XP - 06/06/03 03:30 PM

Have you checked here?

ND Tech Support

Inferno
© 2024 GameBoomers Community