GB HOMEPAGE

Market Views

Posted By: gatorlaw

Market Views - 06/02/04 11:20 AM

You have always engaged with gamers in forums and through your BLOG etc

What is your take on the current gamers,any neglected groups?

What reaches buyers for adventure games - what doesn't?
Posted By: Diamond

Re: Market Views - 06/02/04 11:39 AM

In your first question, are you talking about gamers in general or adventure gamers? I'm not quite sure what you mean by current gamers.

Clearly BSTSD didn't reach the buyers - or not enough of them - so it's a little hard to judge objectively.

The market for adventure games has shrunk, which doesn't mean that quality games cannot be made, just that they need to be made more cost-effectively.
Posted By: Kickaha

Re: Market Views - 06/02/04 12:33 PM

Was changing the style of gameplay from BS1 and BS2 a problem for BSTSD?

Did you hope BSTSD would have cross-genre appeal?
Posted By: conmol

Re: Market Views - 06/02/04 12:38 PM

Companies must do market research...I mean here in North America it seems that the biggest demographic wants realistic games with heavy duty weaponry and by that I mean Grand Theft Auto, Splinter Cell, Halo 2 etc. Games like Broken Sword, Beyond Good and Evil and even Prince of Persia don't see as well (for lack of a better term call it action-lite). Do you think theres another answer to the conundrum that is North America?
Posted By: Diamond

Re: Market Views - 06/02/04 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Smith:
Was changing the style of gameplay from BS1 and BS2 a problem for BSTSD?

Did you hope BSTSD would have cross-genre appeal?
I don't think the style of gameplay was very much different at all. The presentation and interface were the big differences.
Rather than having cross-genre appeal, we hoped to appeal to gamers who have tastes that span a number of genres. Which might be the same thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by conmol:
Companies must do market research...I mean here in North America it seems that the biggest demographic wants realistic games with heavy duty weaponry and by that I mean Grand Theft Auto, Splinter Cell, Halo 2 etc. Games like Broken Sword, Beyond Good and Evil and even Prince of Persia don't see as well (for lack of a better term call it action-lite). Do you think theres another answer to the conundrum that is North America?
There is no answer. smile
In general, European games seem to struggle to gain a proper foothold in the US. Sometimes it's down to Sony US not giving approval to the game. Sometimes publishers fail to get behind the game. Sometimes it's a mystery.
Prince of Persia did better overall, but I know what you mean. I was surprised that Beyond Good and Evil didn't do better as it's a fabulous game, spoilt only by weak cameras in places.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community