GB HOMEPAGE

Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage Update 5-9-09 In-Game Videos

Posted By: Becky

Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage Update 5-9-09 In-Game Videos - 04/13/09 09:28 PM

Click here for the new Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage website.

Lots to investigate -- new screenshots, intriguing game information (puzzles that involve the deciphering of dreams!) and a forum where you can ask any Darkness Within questions.

The tentative release date is Fall 2009, though an official publisher has not yet been announced.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 04/13/09 09:30 PM

Great news Becky! I better play down my pile and play the first one! eek

Ana wave

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 04/13/09 09:31 PM

You haven't played the first one? You should! grin

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 04/13/09 09:33 PM

It's here, sitting pretty on my shelf with about 8 other games I haven't played yet. oops I need to quit my day job till I get caught up. lol
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 04/13/09 10:48 PM

This all looks good to me Becky except this part under 'Key Features'
Quote:
A new and more advanced game engine:
With the new and more advanced version of the original game engine of Darkness Within, you can move anywhere you want
, light up your way with light sources that cast real-time soft shadows and realistically lift up, push, pull or throw objects with the power of NVIDIA® PhysX™ engine.
This sounds very similar to the interface used in the Penumbra games which I wasn't to excited with and was the main reason I didn't finish the first Penumbra. I will hold out hope that if it is indeed the same controls that they have improved on it.
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 04/14/09 12:44 AM

Thanks Becky. This is another game that I had never heard of. It is so nice of you to post all this information for us. thanks
Posted By: GBC

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 04/14/09 12:54 PM

Becky, I'm really looking forward to this one. I loved the first Darkness and this looks even creepier. yay
Posted By: PolloDiablo

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 04/14/09 03:40 PM

Excellent news, In Pursuit of Loath Nolder was one of my favourite games of the recent past.
Posted By: marie

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 04/14/09 04:52 PM

That's such great news, because I was afraid we would never see the game again after they lost their publisher. My next hope is that it will be a boxed version and not a download.

I loved the first game (it was so creeepy)and I know that I will want to play it again and again.

Thanks, Becky for the great update bravo

Marie wave broccoli
Posted By: gamenut

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 04/14/09 09:04 PM

Developers!...Leave the lights alone! The first one ran great! Give us great story, and atmosphere and let us have something that will run!
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 04/14/09 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: GreyFuss
This all looks good to me Becky except this part under 'Key Features'
Quote:
A new and more advanced game engine:
With the new and more advanced version of the original game engine of Darkness Within, you can move anywhere you want
, light up your way with light sources that cast real-time soft shadows and realistically lift up, push, pull or throw objects with the power of NVIDIA® PhysX™ engine.
This sounds very similar to the interface used in the Penumbra games which I wasn't to excited with and was the main reason I didn't finish the first Penumbra. I will hold out hope that if it is indeed the same controls that they have improved on it.

You're right. The screenshots really do make it look like a real time 3D game. Look how odd the tree in this picture looks
http://www.darknesswithin2.com/scr8.html
Posted By: Sherryah

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 04/15/09 04:00 PM

oops I hope the graphics of the game looks better than the one with the tree. I had motion sickness so bad from the origional darkness Within, because of the spinning of the character, I didn't even get to play half the game. Total waste of money for me because of that. I hope they don't spin the character in the next darkness within like that. sick
Posted By: Carla

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 05/09/09 09:32 AM

First work-in-progress in-game videos!

Two WIP in-game footages that show basic interaction with the game world were prepared. You can download them from the official site HERE!

:mother:

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 05/10/09 02:36 PM

Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble opening the 2 new in game video teasers on the games web site?

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 05/10/09 03:56 PM

I'm having trouble too -- the download defaults to Windows Media Player, and then nothing plays.

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 05/10/09 06:21 PM

I have downloaded both the video just now and I opened them fine,no probs at all.
Posted By: oral

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 05/10/09 08:53 PM

Hello everyone! I am Oral from Zoetrope interactive.

I have been checking GB for sometime and I want to thank you for all of your interests in our projects. I could not find the time to post earlier, sorry. But form now on, I will try to post and answer your questions (if there will be any:)) as much as I can. And your opinions are really important to us so please keep them coming:)

Regarding the video problem, because we encoded them with Xvid encoder, Windows Media player can't play them without an Xvid codec. But you don't have to install any codecs because we re-encoded them with WMV so there should not be any problem.

And for those of you who already downloaded the videos, please try VLC Player instead of windows media player www.videolan.org/vlc/. It is a small and free player that can read nearly all of the audio and video formats without installing any codecs.

And I want to shed some light on the next Darkness Within. The Dark Lineage is a real-time 3D adventure game. Not like the previous one which was a pre-rendered panoramic adventure. But this is the only difference between them so don't worry, there won't be any action and other elements that requires dexterity. We also integrated NVidia PhysX library into the game to enhance player's experience but this won't affect the game play mechanics in any way. The Dark Lineage will be an adventure game similar to the previous one both in playability and atmosphere.

That's all for now:) If you have any questions about The dark lineage, I will gladly answer all of them.

Please stay tuned.

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 05/10/09 09:04 PM

welcome to GameBoomers Oral! Thanks so much for the info.

Ana wave

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 05/10/09 10:02 PM

Nice of you to check in with us Oral...Thanks

I wish I could 'Download' The videos. My problem is that when I click on the link it tries to open itself and run in a Quicktime window. Quicktime says it can't play the video as it may need a third party codex but doesn't say which one as there are many. Maybe this is just my configuration that is causing the problem If I could only just download it I could choose what program to use.

Thanks for listening and look forward to more info on Darkness Within 2 in the future.

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 05/10/09 11:52 PM

Thanks oral and welcome to Gameboomers! wave

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 05/11/09 08:31 PM

Greyfuss, try right-clicking the file and saving to your hard drive. Then open it with Windows Media Player or VLC.

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 05/11/09 08:52 PM

Hi Jenny

Thank you. I did try that before but the menu that came up when right clicking only had "Save Target As" and "Save Picture As" choices and I assumed that "Save Target As" was the Internet Address that would be saved...wrong! After reading your above post I tried it again it worked. Learn something new everyday. Saved both videos to the desktop and had no trouble playing them with Windows Media Player. Looks like my kind of game, 1st person, 3D, solo exploration as long as they don't go and add a bunch of NPC's I am into Within.

Thanks again

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 06/02/09 01:08 PM

New publisher revealed: Iceberg Interactive

Quote:
Iceberg Interactive Acquires Publishing Rights for Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage

Haarlem, The Netherlands – June 2nd 2009 - Recently formed videogame publisher Iceberg Interactive and developer Zoetrope Interactive are delighted to announce the signing of the publishing rights to Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage, a ‘Lovecraftian’-style adventure game for the PC platform. The rights acquired are for Europe (including Russia, but with the exception of Turkey, Spain and Italy). The game is set for release in Q1-2010.

In the same deal, Iceberg Interactive also acquired the rights for the first instalment Darkness Within 1: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder for the same territories, for immediate re-release at a budget price point. Both games will be bundled in the future as well. With the signing of the Darkness Within franchise Iceberg Interactive expands its rapidly growing portfolio of games.

While keeping the same Lovecraftian style of eerie storytelling, the varied and dynamic puzzles and the unique ‘thinking screen’, Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage will provide an upgrade with graphics now in full 3D and a longer playing time.

Erik Schreuder, CEO of Iceberg Interactive says: “We are thrilled to sign up the original Darkness Within game and especially its successor The Dark Lineage. Adventure gamers will have an even greater thrill and chill while playing Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage than they did before, and they will see the Darkness Within saga come to an exciting conclusion.”

Zoetrope Interactive’s Onur Samli: "We are very happy to start working with Iceberg Interactive. We know that with Iceberg Interactive's extensive industry experience and its all-veteran team, Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage is in good hands."

Complete list of game features:

* A new and more advanced game engine:
o With the new and more advanced version of the original game engine of Darkness Within, you can move anywhere you want, light up your way with light sources that cast real-time soft shadows and realistically lift up, push, pull or throw objects with the power of NVIDIA® PhysX™ engine.
* Built-in Hint System with 3 Difficulty Levels:
o Players can choose to play in Standard, Detective or Senior Detective modes.
* Dynamic Puzzles and Features:
o Traditional adventure game puzzles are complimented by deciphering dreams, underlining excerpts in documents to garner critical clues and interacting physically with the environment.
* Enhanced Gameplay Experience:
o The proprietary fully 3D real-time game engine enables compelling special effects, stunning visuals, and dynamic lighting and shading, in a first person game environment.
* Eerie Gameplay Atmosphere:
o An immersive experience is created by a fascinating Lovecraftian story, chilling real-time cut scenes, and haunting music.

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 06/02/09 02:21 PM

Thanks Pollo -- for such good news, we started a new thread! thumbsup

Iceberg Interactive. I'll have to check them out!

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 06/02/09 03:00 PM

Dont' tell anyone but they have the same CEO and PR person AND they are in the same city as the former Lighthouse Interactive. wink

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 06/02/09 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: PolloDiablo
Dont' tell anyone but they have the same CEO and PR person AND they are in the same city as the former Lighthouse Interactive. wink

I noticed that...maybe Dead Mountaineer will finally see the light? whistle

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 06/02/09 04:00 PM

Wow, Pollo. Thanks for the news.
I wonder if Iceberg will ever publish worldwide or if they'll only be publishing for Europe.

Re: New Website Shines Light on Darkness Within: The Dark Lineage - 06/02/09 04:32 PM

They are experienced then. Good to know!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community