GB HOMEPAGE

Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED

Posted By: AmunPtah

Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/12/10 06:14 PM

Hi all,
Continuing my series of Lost Crown/Barrow Hill related features, I am pleased to present a video of the locations that inspired Barrow Hill.
You can see the video by looking for The Investigative Author podcast on iTunes, or by heading to http://www.tomrbaynham.com/2010/09/01/video-episode-2-the-real-barrow-hill/
Please leave a comment here or on my blog if you enjoyed the video.
Cheers!

Hi all,

Just returned from my latest trip down to Cornwall. Along with visiting tons of ancient megalithic sites, I was also able to get photos of more of the real locations featured in The Lost Crown and in Barrow Hill! In particular:

The Ager/Karswell House - The actual place, Morwhellam Quay in Devon! I have created a new set for these photos.

Gruel's Antiques - I have pictures of the interior now from the Looe Museum, and a photo of Mr Gruel!

Barrow Hill Petrol Station - With real pump action!

You can see all of the pictures by going to my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomrbaynham/

SECONDLY, as well as collecting these new photos, I revisted all the sites and took VIDEO!!! I'm putting together a documentary using this video, so watch this space for further updates on that.

ALSO, I got to take a sneaky look at a couple of locations that will be featured in The Last Crown, photos and video again, and will be uploading those soon too.

Let me know your comments!
Posted By: MaG

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/12/10 07:38 PM

Thanks, AmunPtah.
Posted By: Becky

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/12/10 10:34 PM

That was fun! Beautiful photos. I liked the caterpillar. grin
Posted By: cruise02

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/13/10 02:42 AM

Oooooo....Really, really nice pictures, AmunPtah! You sure are lucky! I wish I could visit the places in real life that I visit in my adventure games (sigh).

I have Barrow Hill PC game, played it 5 years ago, but I recall that petrol station and that big monolith that blocks your path randomly during gameplay - that's all I remember from the game.

EDIT - scrolled through all 39 pgs of your photo site, AmunPtah, I was looking for that monolith that is supposed to block your path during gameplay - but didn't see it. Does that monolith really exist?

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/13/10 08:09 AM

Mag: NP!

Becky: That was a surprise find. Walking through Carrion Woods (Windsor Woods) I came across many large beetles too. On Bodmin I almost trod on an adder, which was a bit scary (only the third time I've seen a snake in the UK).

cruise02: I think Matt based the sentry stone on the standing stones and menhirs all across the UK, rather than one specific stone. I will be uploading many photographs of this type of thing later today, so do check back on Flickr and you may find something similar.
Posted By: old lady

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/13/10 10:05 AM

Hi AmunPtah, love the photo's and what a surprise to see the museum that I help at twice a week here on this site.
On "The Looe and Polperro Forum" there are many other photos of this area, is it possible to show your photos on that site because I know a lot of people would like to see them?

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/13/10 02:33 PM

old lady: Will do. Do you have a URL for that so I get the right place?

One set of photographs I still need to get is of the interior of The Plough in Duloe, that stands in for The Bear. Unfortunately the pub was not occupied when I was down in Looe, so I couldn't go inside. I did get a look inside one of the windows though and saw the fireplace where the cat sits, as the lights were on and the estate agent was showing someone around.

Hopefully someone will buy the business and not change anything inside when they do!

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/13/10 04:51 PM

I think this is correct http://looeandpolperro.freeforums,org
Other lovers of Lost Crown might find things of interest at that site.
Posted By: FlyingDutchman42

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/13/10 05:45 PM

Very impressive Amunptah, happydance

You visited the sites for all of us
who love the games.

Would love to go myself, but must make my
financial choices.

very nice pictures indeed,

robert laugh scared

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/13/10 07:15 PM

old lady: Thanks. I'll do the sign-up rigmarole and post there.

FlyingDutchman42: Thanks Robert. Getting to Cornwall can be a trek even if you live in the UK, but if you ever do get to visit the UK, your trip won't be complete without a visit to Cornwall.
Posted By: GBC

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/13/10 07:24 PM

Fabulous pics AmunPtah. I envy you so much. Cornwall fascinates me. I would love to visit Cornwall someday.

old lady, lucky you !

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/13/10 07:39 PM

GBC, another thanks!

If anyone is interested in a tour of the locations (inc. Last Crown and Bracken Tor if they are released) next April/May, let me know. I'll put together a list and itinerary and have a look at minibus hire.

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/17/10 04:19 PM

If you need any help, let me know.
Posted By: Jarkeld

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/17/10 08:51 PM

Would love to be able to go on such a tour.

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 06/21/10 10:09 PM

old lady: Would be very welcome, especially double checking that locations like the museum will be open on those days.

Jarkeld: You never know! Last trip there were more people from the Netherlands in the area than from any other country, almost the UK included!

UPDATE: The locations video documentary is almost complete, with nearly 50 minutes of footage. Now I just need to add titles, information on where the locations are and maybe some commentary and music. I expect it to be ready before Friday, with a podcast version and a higher quality Youtube version (once I figure out how to split the file).

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 07/10/10 04:24 PM

I have updated my Flickr feed with photos of the Lost Crown itself!
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 07/12/10 09:14 AM

Cool pictures Amun. I definitely recognized the petro station and the pathways! Thanks for sharing!

The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/01/10 06:41 PM

Hi all,
Continuing my series of Lost Crown/Barrow Hill related features, I am pleased to present a video of the locations that inspired Barrow Hill.
You can see the video by looking for The Investigative Author podcast on iTunes, or by heading to http://www.tomrbaynham.com/2010/09/01/video-episode-2-the-real-barrow-hill/
Please leave a comment here or on my blog if you enjoyed the video.
Cheers!
Posted By: Mad

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/01/10 08:33 PM

Thanks for all those images, AmunPtah. A lot of work there !! grin

I've visited many of the places in the past - although not all - when I've been on holiday in the area.

Cheers.

Mad thumbsup
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/01/10 08:43 PM

Really pretty area.
I liked the sheep jumping the fence 40 seconds in.
Posted By: GBC

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/02/10 12:27 AM

Thanks AmunPtah, Very interesting. Beautiful photos.
Posted By: cassadaga

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/02/10 04:00 AM

Thank you for the podcast of the images of Barrow Hill. That was fun and now I want to replay the game. I enjoyed seeing the actual place and will play again with those images in my mind.
Posted By: gruffy

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/02/10 09:34 AM

Thats a excellent Video AmunPtah! I must visit those locations myself seeing as I'm only 18 miles away!

I love the Lost Crown photos too. I was half expecting Harbour cottage to actually be haunted when i visited it!

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 09/02/10 09:43 AM

I love the pictures of Northfield Church and the Martello tower in Looe!

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 09/02/10 03:46 PM

Thanks for your comments. Yep, Northfield/Duloe is pretty cool, especially as it has the stone circle, and is walking distance to Stocks Lane (the pathways). I envy you gruffy, as you can just nip across in a few minutes. Its a 3.5hr trip for me!

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/02/10 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
I liked the sheep jumping the fence 40 seconds in.
Yep that was a humorous surprise! I had no idea the sheep was there when I began filming. Sheep really could take over the world if they put their minds to it...

Originally Posted By: cassadaga
That was fun and now I want to replay the game. I enjoyed seeing the actual place and will play again with those images in my mind.
I'm glad that you want to play again. I do too! I can't wait for Bracken Tor and TLC2. Expect more videos and photosets when they drop.

Originally Posted By: gruffy
I must visit those locations myself seeing as I'm only 18 miles away!
Do it! Have you visited any of the sights from The Lost Crown? A quick tip is to look at the map when you view each set of my photos on Flickr. I have painstakingly placed each photo to the location where I took it, down to the nearest 10 metres or so. It should help you plan out where to go. If want any help or advice PM me and I'll let you know my email.

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/03/10 11:20 AM

[/quote] Do it! Have you visited any of the sights from The Lost Crown? A quick tip is to look at the map when you view each set of my photos on Flickr. I have painstakingly placed each photo to the location where I took it, down to the nearest 10 metres or so. It should help you plan out where to go. If want any help or advice PM me and I'll let you know my email. [/quote]

I have visited Polpero/Saxton and managed to find the net Hut too! I did see Harbour cottage for sale though. My Missus couldn't understand why I was so excited seeing the place!

I am going back again and to Looe as-well. I'd love to see the other places such as the lighthouse, Bobs workshop, and Karswell house.

Well done for finding the locations and i can't wait for Bracken Tor/ Last Crown locations too!
Hint hint! lol
All the best

Gareth

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/04/10 01:28 PM

Thanks Gareth,

The lighthouse is on the coast path just east of Polperro, on the way to Talland Bay. The Karswell House is actually in Devon, just! Its at Morwhellam Quay, a few miles SW of Tavistock.

Bob's workshop is the last one I need for my collection. The exterior is the Teglios stores in The Warren, Polperro, but the interior is the one that I need. Jonathan said that the workshop is a mashup of the mill and cider press near Lanhydrock House, but I went all around the House and drove aimlessly around the nearby roads and couldn't find it :-( I'll have to ask him again.

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/04/10 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: AmunPtah
Thanks Gareth,

The lighthouse is on the coast path just east of Polperro, on the way to Talland Bay. The Karswell House is actually in Devon, just! Its at Morwhellam Quay, a few miles SW of Tavistock.

Bob's workshop is the last one I need for my collection. The exterior is the Teglios stores in The Warren, Polperro, but the interior is the one that I need. Jonathan said that the workshop is a mashup of the mill and cider press near Lanhydrock House, but I went all around the House and drove aimlessly around the nearby roads and couldn't find it :-( I'll have to ask him again.

Morwellham Quay? Ahh not far!
I might be able to find the workshop near Lanhydrock house as i know the area quite well!

We must organise a minibus tour of the locations as I'm sure there's many Gameboomers who'd love to see the Barrow Hill/ Lost crown places.

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/04/10 04:57 PM

If you can find the workshop it would be fantastic!

Yep, the minibus idea is something I've been mulling over. I'd like to organise one. If any of you are interested in the idea, PM me and I'll put a list together to see if we have enough to hire the minibus.

I'd imagine it would likely happen sometime next spring, dependent on Jonathan & Matt's availability and access to the locations (Northfield/Duloe church had the builders in on my last trip!).

EDIT: I've looked at minibus prices. A 16 seater tour would cost around £15 per person, which is very good value for a full day of sightseeing! Let me know if you would like to receive more information.

EDIT2: I got another quote today and tickets would cost £12.

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/14/10 07:27 PM

EDIT2: I got another quote today and tickets would cost £12. [/quote]

Sign me up for the minibus idea! I'd love to do that tour!

Sorry i haven't replied recently as i was on honeymoon!

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/14/10 10:12 PM

Congrats! I'll post an itinerary for the tour tomorrow.

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/15/10 10:43 AM

Congrate from me to, Gareth.
AmunPtah, the museum here in Looe where the interior of the antiques shop was shot will close at the Oct 1/2 term until next Easter.However I can speak to the curator and I'm sure she will let me open up for you in return for a donation in the box. Sorry but no doll with revolving eyes or clock going backwards but lots of stuff you will recognise

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 09/15/10 05:44 PM

That's great. So we have another person on the interested list. Can we count you in also "old lady"?

BTW, I did manage to get inside the museum last Spring and take some photos (on Flickr as usual!).

Anyways, here is the current itinerary:

1) Meet at Harbour Master's car park 7.45
2) Gruels/Martello Tower (Looe) 7.45
3) Hannafore Beach/Pinnacles8.20
4) Sandplace/Sedgemarsh Station 8.50
5) St Cuby's Well 9.05
6) Duloe/Northfield Church 9.20
7) Stone Circle/The Bear 10.10
8) Stock's Lane/Raven Lane 10.35
9) Old Barn/Causeland Station 10.55
10) St Keyne's Well 11.15
11) Hurlers/C-Ring 12.00
12) St Nonna's Well 1.20
13) Service Station 1.40
14) Talland/Ulcombe Church 1.50
17) Coast Path 2.50
18) Lighthouse 3.10
19) Polperro/Saxton (Several locations here!) 3.30
20) Meet at House on the Props 4.45
21) Minibus returns to looe 5.45 (Those who want to stay in Polperro take bus/taxi to Looe)

There are a couple of places we won't have time to visit, namely:
The Looe Museum/Gruel's Shop interior - The opening times would mean we would have to return to Looe in the middle of the day, a big chunk of time lost)

Ager/Karswell House - It is in Devon, and is just a little too far for us to fit it in to one day

Bob's Workshop interior - Firstly, I don't know exactly where it is, and the distance to lanhydrock is too much to pack into a day trip

Polruan Block House - TLC2 location - Just a little too far to do on the day.

All of these places can comfortably be visited from Looe (under an hour's journey) so I would recommend tour peeps make their own way to these locations.

Re: The Real Barrow Hill - Locations Video - 03/25/14 08:42 PM

Hi, any updates on lost crown / bracken tor locations amunptah?
Posted By: Volkana

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 03/26/14 10:27 AM

Wonderful pictures! Wonderful! bravo

I'm a little jealous blush

Have fun wave
Posted By: ipad_Lover

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 03/28/14 02:06 AM

That is simply amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 04/03/14 09:46 PM

He's a good photographer!

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 08/09/14 09:51 PM

Thanks all! Its a pleasure. Can't wait for Jonathan to release Blackenrock so I can get filming again.
Posted By: LeBelleRachael

Re: Lost Crown & Barrow Hill Location Photos UPDATED - 08/10/14 02:17 AM

Awesome sweetie! Thanx! thanks
© 2024 GameBoomers Community