GB HOMEPAGE

New adventure games

Posted By: alfoil

New adventure games - 08/21/11 02:38 AM

Can someone please suggest some new adventure games in the style of keepsake, syberia, art of murder, longest journey etc. I have played most of the adventure games around and am now trying to find one that is in the same genre that is good. I have noticed "the abbey", is it any good. cheers, Alfoil. smile
Posted By: Becky

Re: New adventure games - 08/21/11 11:18 AM

Hi alfoil -- you like games with a third person perspective and a female protagonist (for at least part of the game)? I'm not sure what you've played already, but a few suggestions would be: the Secret Files games, Gray Matter, Culpa Innata, The Broken Sword games, and A New Beginning. I'm sure there are many others that other people will suggest for you!
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: New adventure games - 08/21/11 02:25 PM

Besides all of the great games that Becky suggested you might enjoy the Runaway games. luck
Posted By: traveler

Re: New adventure games - 08/21/11 03:12 PM

I had a good time with The Abbey (Murder in the Abbey) and I'd like to see more of Brother Leonardo. It isn't on the level of Syberia if that's what you're looking for but if you enjoy playing detective in a game with very nice, almost Disney-quality graphics, you might give it a try.

If you haven't read it, flotsam has a review of The Abbey *here*.

I just bought Atlantis 3, which is not a new game by any means, from GOG and while I've barely dipped into it, I was really surprised by the quality of the graphics in this one. Since you seem to like a good-looking game, you might want to check into Atlantis 3 if you haven't played it. It got some pretty decent comments on the forum when it came out. (They decided my buy. smile)

Gil.
Posted By: venus

Re: New adventure games - 08/21/11 06:41 PM

Alfoil, I second everything Becky suggested, especially Culpa Innata and Gray Matter. smile Space Quest's suggestion of the Runaway games is also an excellent one. Also, have you played Still Life? It came out around the time of TLJ and Syberia and was another terrific game. Another very strong game that just came out recently called Lost Horizon is definitely worth checking out as well.

Like traveler, I also enjoyed The Abbey quite a bit. I know there is a sequel coming out at some point called The Mystery of the Wrecked Village. thumbsup

Re: New adventure games - 08/21/11 08:23 PM

So Blonde also springs to mind. Agatha Christie: Murder on the Orient Express (despite having Poirot as a character) also has a female protagonist.

I feel we are just scratching the surface so far! grin

Re: New adventure games - 08/22/11 01:33 AM

Becky, of course, how could I forget those two? slapforehead Great games, both of them. grin

Alfoil, you may also want to check out Memento Mori. smile

Re: New adventure games - 08/22/11 09:37 AM

A big thank you to all of you for your valuble imput. I will make a note of them all and work from the list. I have a question, where can I purchase The Abbey. I have checked out a lot of the sites but I can't seem to find out where to purchase a lot of these games. cheers, Alfoil.

Re: New adventure games - 08/22/11 12:03 PM

Alfoil -- you can purchase the disk version at Interact and the download version at The Adventure Shop (click on the banners near the top of this page). BTW Murder in the Abbey is the same game as The Abbey.
Posted By: GreyFuss

Re: New adventure games - 08/22/11 12:10 PM

Alfoil

Have you checked the Trading Post right here at Game Boomers. I see there is at least one member there offering Murder in the Abbey wink

Re: New adventure games - 08/23/11 06:07 AM

Yahoo! Checked out the trading post for the first time. Just lucked out on Murder in the Abbey but, believe it or not I checked out EBay au and yep, grabbed the copy on sale. Who's a happy camper now! cheers, Alfoil.

Re: New adventure games - 08/25/11 10:53 PM

Can anyone tell me what Gabriel Knights Blood of the damned and Blood of the sacred are like. cheers Alfoil
Posted By: traveler

Re: New adventure games - 08/25/11 11:22 PM

Gabriel Knight: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned, is in 3D. Really awful 3D.

It has other shortcomings, IMO, but that's the one that hit me in the face first.

Gil.
Posted By: MaG

Re: New adventure games - 08/25/11 11:59 PM

While waiting for the member's comments - check:
- Syd wrote a review here.
I'm sure there are other reviews floating around the net.

It is also #9 in 2011 GameBoomers Annual Adventure Games list.

Re: New adventure games - 08/26/11 01:51 AM

Personally, I think Gabriel Knight 3 is one of the best games I've ever played. All of the Gabriel Knights are in fact, and the third is my second favorite. Granted, 3D was in its "growing pains" phase at that point, but I don't think that takes anything away from the fantastic story. In fact, I like what the 3D brings to the world, and how it feels you are actually "there" in a sense.

The controls do have a bit of a learning curve. I think it's easiest to move the camera with the mouse by holding down the cursor and dragging it where you want the character (Gabriel or Grace) to go. Then you just click in the area you've moved the camera, and Gabriel or Grace will automatically walk there. And I love the game's interface. I'd actually like to see more games implement it.

One puzzle in the game is a bit convoluted and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but another puzzle stands out as being the best puzzle I've experienced in any game.

However, if you haven't played them yet, I suggest you play games 1 and 2 first. That way, you follow the progressive storyline as its meant to be experienced. smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community