GB HOMEPAGE

Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio

Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 10/31/11 06:52 PM

Collaborators include renowned game designer Jane Jensen and graphic novel artist Romano Molenaar

Quote:
SAN JOSE, Calif. - October 31, 2011 - Phoenix Online Studios, the team behind the episodic King's Quest revival The Silver Lining, and Khaeon Gamestudio, an independent game developer based in the Netherlands, will combine their creative forces in Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller. An episodic detective game, Cognition will have a supernatural storyline developed with help from renowned designer Jane Jensen, and graphic novel style visuals created by comic book artist Roman Molenaar.

Three years ago, FBI agent Erica Reed lost her brother to a serial killer who was never caught. During this desperate investigation, she developed the strange and unpredictable power of post-cognition: by touching an object, she can see its past and the events that happened on, to, or around it. Though undeniably useful in her line of work, this skill makes her uneasy and has caused her problems professionally and personally. Now a new serial killer is on the moveā€”one who leaves behind clues perfectly suited to Agent Reed's unique abilities. Has someone learned her secret? What do they want from her? More importantly: by working this case, will Erica finally uncover enough evidence to bring her brother's killer to justice?

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller will release as a series of four episodes, a format Phoenix knows well from their work on the ambitious freeware game The Silver Lining (http://www.tsl-game.com). After playing The Silver Lining, Khaeon representatives approached Phoenix to develop Cognition, a project originally conceived by Khaeon's art director Romano Molenaar. The game's design team will work closely with story consultant Jane Jensen on Cognition's plot and investigative gameplay.

"I'm very impressed by Phoenix's work on The Silver Lining -- this is a talented team who has shown incredible dedication to a fan game. Now they're a young company moving into commercial production and I'm happy to be involved. I hope to help them make their first project a success," says Jensen, creator of the acclaimed Gabriel Knight adventure game series. "Cognition is a perfect fit, too, with its supernatural storyline and graphic novel style."

Via Kickstarter, Phoenix and Khaeon hope to raise $25,000 to help fund the game's initial development. Funds raised will be used for software licenses, development resources, and other start-up production costs. Prizes for backers include free downloadable copies of the finished game, signed hard copies, and rare opportunities to appear in the game, name characters, and participate "behind the scenes" in its development.

"Phoenix Online Studios would never have come this far if not for the dedication of our fans. They encouraged us to stick with it, they had our backs when we ran into copyright issues, and they helped us show the world that there's still a huge audience for games like The Silver Lining and Cognition," says CEO Cesar Bittar. "Now we're hoping they'll join us on this next step in our company's adventure, and in return we're looking forward to including the fans in Cognition's development process as much as we can."

Cognition will be developed for PC, with versions for mobile platforms and connected consoles also under consideration. The four episode series is planned to debut in 2012. To learn more about Cognition and view the game's trailer and concept art, visit the official website at http://www.cognitiongame.com.

Happy Gamimg!

Ana wave
Posted By: Becky

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 10/31/11 07:00 PM

Great news, especially the collaboration with Jane Jensen. Thanks Ana! wave
Posted By: venus

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 10/31/11 07:22 PM

Thanks, Ana! Really looking forward to this one!!! It shot up to my top most wanted list for sure!! grin yay rah bravo
Posted By: Mad

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/01/11 12:52 PM

The new "commercial" game sounds like it has a good story !! yes
Thanks for that info, BrownEyedTigre grin

Also, I received an email from them today, asking for possible financial support and I would like to donate a little but every time I click the link on their website I get a "can't find this page" error message.

Is anyone else getting this result think
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/01/11 08:22 PM

Go here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/postudios/cognition-an-erica-reed-thriller
Posted By: traveler

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/01/11 08:27 PM

I know I'm going to get clobbered for this but does no one else dislike the sloppy comic book graphics?

Gil.

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/01/11 10:09 PM

Traveler, are you sure those are the graphics? I thought they were just shots of the concept art?

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/01/11 10:47 PM

Let's hope, venus but the announcement does say "view the trailer and concept art", as if the two are not the same. I really loathed the same type of graphics in segments of Grey Matter and that alone put me off buying it. Graphics may not be everything but there's a limit to what I'll accept. Being grumpy. grin

Gil.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/02/11 02:28 AM

Thanks for that link, GuybrushThreepwood. It worked for me !! thumbsup

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/02/11 03:19 AM

You're welcome.
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/03/11 09:31 AM

Sounds great Ana!
Posted By: KatieHal

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/14/11 04:27 PM

Our cutscenes will be along the lines of what's seen in the trailer--sorry Guybrush! I hope that doesn't totally turn you away from the game!

Regular gameplay will 2.5D--2D backgrounds and 3D moving characters, as well as some 3D objects of course. Romano's got a great graphic novel style and I can't wait to see it fully in action in the game! If you visit the kickstarter page, the first image in the project description is an example of an in-game screenshot.

And thank you everyone for your support so far! It's been going great! Oh, and we also released the Cognition main theme in Update #4 of the Kickstarter last week as well. Composed and performed by TSL composer Austin Haynes--you can listen in and download it for free! It's just lovely. smile

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/14/11 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: KatieHal
Our cutscenes will be along the lines of what's seen in the trailer--sorry Guybrush! I hope that doesn't totally turn you away from the game!
)

Huh? I think you meant traveler, who commented on comic book style graphics.

I already made my donation to support the game.

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/14/11 05:56 PM

"Huh? I think you meant traveler, who commented on comic book style graphics."

Yup, she probably did. And I haven't changed my mind about the graphics. Sorry, but to me they're ugly and a sloppy way to put together a cut scene, especially for a game that's going to cost money, and I really hope this is not the wave of the future. I don't like to sound harsh but if developers want honest feedback, they just got it. Most likely I'm in the minority anyway.

Gil.

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/14/11 09:42 PM

Whoops--so it was. Sorry about the mixup (and thanks for donation!).

traveler - I'm sorry to hear that. I don't think it's the style we'll use in all our games (we don't in TSL, for example). For this game it feels right--the art in general has a very graphic novel feel, and continuing that with the cutscenes fits. As well, it's somewhat as a tribute/shoutout of sorts to the cutscenes in the first Gabriel Knight game; not only is Jane working with us (squee!!) but Cognition is very similar in atmosphere and genre to the GK games.

But to each their own opinion, and I won't certainly won't begrudge you that.

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/21/11 06:30 PM

We just hit our funding goal, and with 19 days still to go! laugh Thank you everyone for your support!

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/21/11 06:36 PM

Congratulations! wave

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/21/11 08:29 PM

Ah, I was going to contribute something when I had some money to give, but everyone else beat me to the punch. lol

That's okay, it's fantastic news, and I'm glad to hear that Cognition now has the funding it needs!! Congratulations, and I will definitely get the game when it comes out! rah penguin

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/22/11 03:20 AM

I am sure that buying the game will be great support Venus!

Congrats KatieHal!

Ana wave

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/22/11 03:39 PM

Venus--you can still do so, if you'd like smile The campaign runs until Dec. 11th, so we're able to continue going above and beyond the target amount! (And already have, which is amazing!)

Thanks everyone!

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/23/11 04:57 AM

Congratulations! happydance

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 11/23/11 11:11 AM

Katie, I'll see what I can do. smile Money's been tight for me lately, so it wouldn't be that much if I'm able. frown If I have something to give within that time frame, I definitely will. Either way, I still plan on getting the game for sure. thumbsup

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 12/06/11 08:30 PM

We're down to 4 more days now--and we've hit over 30K! Thanks once more to all who have helped us out, and there's a little time left for anyone who's still thinking about it smile
Posted By: BeaSong

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 12/08/11 04:55 AM

Boomers, .
Thank you so much for your support.

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 12/11/11 07:22 PM

Our Kickstarter concluded last night as a resounding success--we raised $34,247! Thank you everyone who donated and made this possible!
Posted By: Chief

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 12/11/11 08:30 PM

Hello Katie. Great that you surpass your objective. bravo12

Good luck with the game.

Chief wave12

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 12/11/11 09:53 PM

Congratulations -- that's quite an achievement! praise12

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 12/12/11 11:40 PM

Congratulations on meeting your stretch goal.

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 02/03/12 03:44 PM

Hey Boomers, I'm back again!

We've got some job openings and voice over auditions coming up soon if you're in the Sacramento, CA, area. All sorts of exciting stuff going as we're hard at work on the game and getting more done everyday! smile

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 02/03/12 04:07 PM

Sounds like progress is being made. wave

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 02/03/12 05:32 PM

It is! smile Oh! And we've also got a fancy new redesign of the Cognition website and some new screenshots and music from the game available for people to check out in the 'Case Files' section: http://www.postudios.com/cognition/casefiles.php

So you can see and hear a little bit more of the game. smile

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 02/04/12 04:11 PM

Thanks for the info, Katie. The new website looks terrific! thumbsup Really looking forward to the game.

Ah, too bad I don't live in the Sacramento area. Would have liked to audition. Oh, well, maybe next time. smile

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 02/05/12 02:38 AM

If all 634 (plus however more you get) backers names in the credits that's going to be a long credit screen.

Oh: I'm enjoying the sound files.

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 02/05/12 04:13 PM

Haha, have you seen our credits for TSL? We're used to long ones!

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 03/10/12 10:28 PM

After a fun and busy week at GDC, we've gotten a few news articles posted--including some new screenshots, some of which are in-game images!

Game Informer really enjoyed the demo, and did this write-up of what they saw, almost step-by-step!

Lazy Tech Guys talked with me about it and liked what they saw!

Enjoy these new peeks at the game! smile

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 03/10/12 10:36 PM

Very nice Katie!

Ana wave
Posted By: CountZero

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 03/11/12 03:59 AM

Erica Reed....any relation to Carol? wink

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 03/13/12 12:47 PM

Great articles! Thanks for sharing, Katie. thumbsup
Posted By: 8dognight

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 04/09/12 03:30 PM

I wish I been keeping up when the funding time for Cognition started. I feel a bit the way I do when I forget about public radio membership. I will, however, be buying Cognition.

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 04/09/12 06:12 PM

Hurray! Thanks 8dognight smile
Posted By: kjos

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 04/09/12 07:43 PM

Just bought the game haven't started playing it yet. Thanks Katie.
Richard

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 04/09/12 07:45 PM

Richard, is the game available already?

Ana wave
Posted By: kjos

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 04/09/12 07:52 PM

Sure is Ana. $4.22. Sorry Ana wrong game.
Richard

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 04/09/12 07:56 PM

lol No problem. I was wondering why we weren't sent a press release.

Ana wave
Posted By: Lynnypoo2

Re: Announcing Cognition, an Episodic Crime Thriller from Phoenix Online Studios and Khaeon Gamestudio - 04/09/12 08:04 PM

I was ready too frown ...i was going to be looking for it myself, thanks for the info Ana...but i am going to buy and donate to this project...Have a great day Boomers.. urock
© 2024 GameBoomers Community