GB HOMEPAGE

Myst

Posted By: PATSY

Myst - 01/23/12 06:56 PM

I never got to play Myst (original) and can't find one at a decent price. Will it even play on windows 7?
Posted By: traveler

Re: Myst - 01/23/12 07:33 PM

PATSY,

Gog.com has Myst Masterpiece Edition (don't know if that's the same thing or not) for $5.99 and the game description says it plays on Win 7.

Gil.
Posted By: presto

Re: Myst - 01/23/12 07:43 PM

PATSY,

I've got an extra original Myst I can send to you if you'd like to play it.

Just let me know!

Best,
Leigh-Anne

Re: Myst - 01/23/12 08:12 PM

will it play on win 7? also it will take me a while to play it.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Myst - 01/23/12 08:19 PM

It is not on the Win 7 game list here.

Ana wave

Re: Myst - 01/23/12 08:33 PM

Thank you very much, Ana. I'll ask my son what he has on his computer.
Posted By: The Haze

Re: Myst - 01/23/12 09:13 PM

Hi Patsy, If I remember correctly, MYST Masterpiece edition is exactly the same game as the original MYST. The only addition is that it has a storyline of hints if you wish to use them. It Is RealMyst that has the additional world included.

Re: Myst - 01/23/12 09:25 PM

Ihanks, The Haze. Realmyst doesn' want to play on win 7. I have it
Posted By: Becky

Re: Myst - 01/23/12 09:27 PM

I've been trying to play the Steam version of the original Myst on Win 7, 64-bit, with only limited success. The game crashes during certain animations, and never does display the fly-over videos.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Myst - 01/23/12 09:28 PM

Myst Masterpiece has 24-bit color (or 32-bit) and slightly better sound than the original Myst. It also used a later version of QuickTime.
Posted By: smulan

Re: Myst - 01/23/12 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Myst Masterpiece has // slightly better sound than the original Myst.

Yes and No, the sound is technically better I suppose but the sound track is a cut version. The music plays in short sequenced loops in stead of the complete original from the original version of Myst, that is the original Mac version.

As far as I know RealMyst and Myst for iPhone has got the original sooundtrack back.

Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Myst - 01/23/12 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: smulan
the sound is technically better I suppose but the sound track is a cut version. The music plays in short sequenced loops in stead of the complete original from the original version of Myst, that is the original Mac version.

What about the PC version of the original Myst? (which is the one I played) Is that the full soundtrack or the cut version?
Posted By: smulan

Re: Myst - 01/23/12 09:49 PM

As far as I can remember the first PC-version is stumped too, and that's the reason for masterpiece also being stumped.

Had to do with conversion from Mac (the very first Mystversion) to PC.

In my opinion this is a serious thing as Robyn Millers music is a big part of the Myst experience.

I think there is info on the matter out there on the big web somewhere, at least it was... if you want to investigate the subject.

Re: Myst - 01/24/12 02:27 AM

I have an old PC I forgot about Myst will play on it. I'm having a hard time with the one I downloaded from GOG.
Posted By: Rahrah

Re: Myst - 01/24/12 01:56 PM

I don`t know if this helps but I had problems with Sanitarium from GOG on Windows7 until I ran it as administrator by right clicking icon. Then it ran perfectly...

Re: Myst - 01/24/12 03:24 PM

Thank you RahRah. I'll try
Posted By: Becky

Re: Myst - 01/24/12 10:33 PM

It turns out the version of Myst that I've been playing IS the Myst Masterpiece Edition.

Since I'm playing the game via Steam, I haven't figured out how to run it as an administrator. Right-clicking on the icon and then on "Properties" brings up the game as a web document URL.

I can go to the Security tab and change Permissions to let the Administrator run it instead of the System.

I am trembling in terror at the very idea, though. What if something goes wrong and I can't switch back? shiver Is it worth the risk?

I could end up blowing up Steam singlehandedly. Well, the small portion of it that lives on my computer.

I think I need someone to hold my hand.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community