GB HOMEPAGE

Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes

Posted By: Rushes

Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 11/30/12 06:41 PM

Nancy is taken on at the “Technology of Tomorrow Today” research facility to investigate the death of physicist Niko Jovic. Will she make it out in one piece?

Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device Review
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 11/30/12 06:52 PM

Wonderful review Rushes! Thanks for the great read.

Ana wave
Posted By: MaG

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 11/30/12 08:02 PM

Great, Rushes! Thanks. bravo
Posted By: Carla

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 11/30/12 08:14 PM

Thank you Rushes! bravo
Posted By: Mad

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 11/30/12 08:42 PM

Very nice, Rushes !! thanks
Posted By: Marian

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/01/12 12:13 AM

Thank you for the review, Rushes; I was very interested to read that you thought this might be the most challenging ND game to date. I don't think I've ever felt quite so clueless with any ND game as I did with this one - I needed a lot of help to get through it. wave

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/01/12 05:31 PM

Thanks, everyone. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one, Marian!

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/01/12 06:40 PM

I had limited play time so I used the WT a lot so I could finish in the time I had. I thought it was because I do not play adventures so much anymore, but I did indeed find myself lost not knowing how to move forward so I peeked at the WT often. MaG, you are a wonder how you get through them and write the WT's for us. praise12

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/01/12 07:13 PM

Without MaG, I'd still be wandering the corridors, shaking my fist and frightening the physicists. yes

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/01/12 07:19 PM

rotfl12

Ana :wave:

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/01/12 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Rushes
Without MaG, I'd still be wandering the corridors, shaking my fist and frightening the physicists. yes

Me too!! woozy12 wave12
Posted By: Haroula

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/01/12 08:29 PM

Thank you Rushes thumbsup12 thumbsup12
Posted By: 8dognight

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/01/12 08:55 PM

Same here. Mazes are my least favorite puzzles. Give me a fiendish slider any day or night or day or night and so on again and again for at least 60 clock sets over a maze leading out of a room I can't find again. I even knew about the right hand method but thought that applied only for real world mazes.

The first problem I used the WT for was to discover that what I had mistakenly branded a typical Nancy Drew ploy to get me thrown out of the facility was, in fact, essential to moving the game along. That device was clever in its simplicity. I looked at the object in question at least five times and thought, "You're not going to sucker me, Nancy Drew. I just need to remember that hotspot for the end of the game when some villain is chasing me." Wrong.

While the dialogue isn't as amusing as in Captive Curse (for example, "No castles? Then how do you protect yourselves from peasant uprisings?"), my impression of Deadly Device is that it's a bit better than a solid B and a cut above the usual HER Interactive fare. I haven't finished it yet though so I can't be certain.

I absolutely am not cheating on the code in the notebook. Never. Well, hardly ever. At least not yet.
Posted By: Becky

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/02/12 05:37 PM

Nice review! I'm looking forward to

Quote:
Ned, who is in full-on “dopey” mode

a role usually played by Bess. grin12

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/02/12 05:44 PM

He really doesn't warrant looking forward to, Becky. lol12 Thanks!
Posted By: Kayc

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/03/12 04:22 PM

Great review Rushes! I just finished it and sure glad you found it challenging too. It sure was more challenging for me. Don't think I have ever done so many second chances or not knowing where to go or what to do next. :lol:
Thank goodness for Mag's walkthrough. Don't know how she does it, but I sure thank her.
Kay
Posted By: MaG

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/03/12 04:38 PM

The 2 Zap-up puzzles were both trial and error for me. The logic was elusive. My carpal tunnel cried. :lol:

The last puzzle; I took a screen capture and worked that at my leisure. Cut and paste the components using my graphics program. Hahahahah. Is that cheating? wink12

I had help from Her Interactive.

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/03/12 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: MaG

The last puzzle; I took a screen capture and worked that at my leisure. Cut and paste the components using my graphics program. Hahahahah. Is that cheating? wink12

I wish I'd thought of that! sherlock grin12 wave12
Posted By: Kayc

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/03/12 05:21 PM

Hi Mag, Your carpal tunnel deserves a wonderful rest now. No way is that cheating when you just slow it down a little.
I finally just copied a few of your answers to the puzzles that I couldn't do in the amount of time they gave you. Now that's cheating!!! :lol: Thank you so much for doing the walkthrough.
Kay
Posted By: chrissie

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/04/12 05:51 PM

Thank you Rushes for an interesting and insightful review. I'll be buying the game eventually as I need my annual ND 'fix' - sounds like it's going to drive me up the wall! crazy

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/04/12 06:23 PM

Let us know what you think of the game, chrissie; this game made me feel quite stupid! grin12
Posted By: meryl

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/17/12 09:23 AM

Just finished. Phew!
When I started the game I thought I would be both bored and right out of my comfort zone. The latter was certainly true; my brain just isn't wired to understand physics.
Bored? I loved it. It was so challenging, the puzzles so intriguing. I, also, had to peek at the walkthrough many times but found that I didn't lose the immersion in the plot.
Playing at master level, there were no phone calls from "dopey Ned". Such a relief not to have stupid Bess twittering away too.
This was a really "grown up" game.
So many thanks to Rushes for a review that made me want to try the game even when the synopsis on HER's website convinced me this game wasn't my thing.
And many thanks to MaG for getting me through it.
Long Live Gameboomers!

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/17/12 01:57 PM

Very glad that you enjoyed it, meryl! The Master level has major benefits then, in eradicating Ned. lol12
Posted By: rmt

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/17/12 07:22 PM

I love Ned, don't you? He is so conventional and grounded. His girlfriend is never around, risking her life all the time, and he does not complain much.

I also love so far the details and complexity concerning how to produce electricity and Tesla's research. I think it is important for children to know that, if we are ever to solve the energy crisis and save the planet.

And if you think back to the Tomb of the Lost Queen, all this egyptology and hieroglyphs were not easy either.
Posted By: meryl

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/18/12 09:36 AM

I like Ned too and was surprised to hear he was "dopey" in the Amateur version. He and Nancy have always been so much more mature than the Hardy boys and Bess. (George is OK)
I find Nancy Drews quite challenging and the only reason I now play at senior level is so I can avoid much of the inane chatter.
Like you, I enjoy learning something complicated in each game. The games are very educational and i wish they had a wider distribution among young people in the UK. It's a fun way of learning... though not painless!
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device -- A Review by Rushes - 12/18/12 11:38 AM

Thanks Rushes. I have the game but haven't started playing yet. Sounds like I'll like the master level.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community